What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds (1 Viewer)

Trump says it was good to let the Turks attack the Kurds. "Sometimes you have to let them fight like two kids,” he tells rally in Dallas. “Then you pull them apart."
WT actual F? With every move Trump makes, this nation sinks further. If this is making america great again, I'll gladly take the days when we weren't great.

From the comments that I read on Breibart Mr. Trump hasn't lost one vote among his base.  He is being touted as a hero with his masterful handling of the Turkey situation.

The difference is that Mitch is intelligent enough to know that what he's enabling is wrong and evil. That's at least as bad as committing the wrong and evil acts because you're too dumb to know the difference.
The word enabler is too weak for this situation. Collaborator is a better term.

Jackstraw said:
Referring to Kurds living along Turkish border in Syria, Trump says of Turkey, "they had to have it cleaned out."

Ethnic cleansing. Totally ok with our President. It's an abomination. We should be beating down the gates of the White House. 
Problem is 99% of America has no idea what is going on there and think a Kurd has something to do with cheese.

Reports coming in from the region that Turkey has already violated the "ceasefire".  Info coming from Kurds.  I don't know if these are our Ally Kurds or the non-angel ones.

Bucky86 said:
Our military families are sure going to be proud when the first soldier dies and is reminded that the president thinks of them simply as a mercenary.
My son is currently deployed to the middle east.  My son in law served a tour in Afghanistan a few years ago when things were a bit more intense then they are right now. I haven't talked to my son regarding his feelings on the current events but my son in law told met that one of the most difficult aspects of his tour in Afghanistan was knowing who to trust and who not to.  Afghan regulars served side by side with them and many of them were really not our friends.  These current events did NOTHING to help the trust between our forces and our allies anywhere.  

I am very proud of the sacrifice my son is doing right now.  He has left a family behind to do what the rest of us can't or won't do.  That being said, I am NOT proud of what our country has done.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty pissed off.  NOTHING that has happened has made us or our troops safer.  Just the exact opposite.  And for what?  To get out of never ending wars that we aren't really getting out of?   :wall:

1. The most infuriating aspect of the last 24 hours is that there are to be no sanctions whatsoever, and Congress is going along with it. The House cannot impose sanctions by themselves and the Senate, despite all of their “great concern”, wont lift a finger. Trump imposed partial, meaningless sanctions for all of 24 hours but immediately removed them after Turkey agreed to be given everything they demanded. 

2. The most nauseating moment of the last 24 hours was not Trump congratulating himself, since thats an everyday occurrence, or Trump making tasteless idiotic comments disparaging our former allies, since that seems to be nearly an everyday occurrence. It was Mike Pence, in his sonorous, self-righteous, preacher voice, praising Donald Trump for the surrender. Pence is easily the fakest , most lickspittle Vice President in modern history. It is one of the great ironies that I and many others are currently trying to make this man our President. 

2. The most nauseating moment of the last 24 hours was not Trump congratulating himself, since thats an everyday occurrence, or Trump making tasteless idiotic comments disparaging our former allies, since that seems to be nearly an everyday occurrence. It was Mike Pence, in his sonorous, self-righteous, preacher voice, praising Donald Trump for the surrender. Pence is easily the fakest , most lickspittle Vice President in modern history. It is one of the great ironies that I and many others are currently trying to make this man our President. 
Your prose here is top notch.  :golfclap:

My son is currently deployed to the middle east.  My son in law served a tour in Afghanistan a few years ago when things were a bit more intense then they are right now. I haven't talked to my son regarding his feelings on the current events but my son in law told met that one of the most difficult aspects of his tour in Afghanistan was knowing who to trust and who not to.  Afghan regulars served side by side with them and many of them were really not our friends.  These current events did NOTHING to help the trust between our forces and our allies anywhere.  

I am very proud of the sacrifice my son is doing right now.  He has left a family behind to do what the rest of us can't or won't do.  That being said, I am NOT proud of what our country has done.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty pissed off.  NOTHING that has happened has made us or our troops safer.  Just the exact opposite.  And for what?  To get out of never ending wars that we aren't really getting out of?   :wall:
We are too.  It is a tremendous sacrifice and we appreciate it.

From Brent McGurk:

"Warning: Erdogan today says his "safe zone" as agreed with Trump stretches 450x32 kms, from the Euphrates to Iraq. This includes all majority Kurdish and Christian areas of Syria. Senior U.S. officials say it is far narrower. Listen to Erdogan, not Trump."

Jon Sopel@BBCJonSopel

Wow. #Erdogan tells news conference the letter sent by @realDonaldTrump telling him not to be a ‘tough guy’ wasn’t in line with diplomatic or political customs. He said they wouldn’t forget the lack of respect. “When the time comes necessary steps will be taken”

:smh:

Trump looking like the headliner at amateur hour.

@richardengel

US officials tell me ALARM BELL RINGING among diplomats in DC that U.S. could one day be held responsible for Crimes Against Humanity for ethnic cleansing of Syrian Kurds by opening the door to it, watching it, encouraging it (Trump's tweets and statements) and not stopping it.
You know, as much as I blame Trump for what’s happened, this seems like a bit of a stretch to me. The USA has not committed crimes against humanity. 

Wife and I were discussing what we can do to take a stance against this administration. Abandonment of the Kurds is a red line for us. We can’t practically decide we’re not going to pay our taxes, or go on strike. That just hurts us. Have and will show up to protest, but feel like hostages. How does one take action against an administration that has shown it is disinterested in American interests and is the cause of a human right abuses?

I’ve not gone so far to say a President “isn’t my President” or an elected US government “isn’t my government,” but when a President doesn’t follow the law, and Congress doesn’t hold him accountable, and it continues year after year - well, I’m there. Just don’t know what do do with that. 
He is your President. 

You know, as much as I blame Trump for what’s happened, this seems like a bit of a stretch to me. The USA has not committed crimes against humanity. 
Does seem like a stretch, at this time. And we negotiated an agreement with them for a cease fire. We would have more culpability in the Yemen crisis.

Trump's withdrawal may not be good for Israel, for one it could strengthen Iran.

I disagree.  We convinced the Kurds to abandon their forward defenses and heavy guns and then immediately withdrew and gave Turkey the green light to begin ethnic cleansing. 

The US is complicit in these crimes. 

I disagree.  We convinced the Kurds to abandon their forward defenses and heavy guns and then immediately withdrew and gave Turkey the green light to begin ethnic cleansing. 

The US is complicit in these crimes. 
Were the British guilty of crimes that Germany committed in Czechoslovakia? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Were the British guilty of crimes that Germany committed in Czechoslovakia? 
Neville Chamberlain was absolutely complicit in the crimes committed in Czechoslovakia.  And his name is reviled through history for it. 

And what he did was not even the same thing that Trump just did.  

@richardengel

US officials tell me ALARM BELL RINGING among diplomats in DC that U.S. could one day be held responsible for Crimes Against Humanity for ethnic cleansing of Syrian Kurds by opening the door to it, watching it, encouraging it (Trump's tweets and statements) and not stopping it.
I've been saying this since Trump started taking asylum seekers children away from them.  There are still thousands of children unaccounted for. Not to mention his original plan was to just shoot these people. Trump should be in the Hague. 

And what if it’s later discovered Trump benefitted personally from this policy and led to war crimes against the Kurds? I’d absolutely hold him responsible and would like to see him thrown in front of The Hague 
Then that would change things. 

Neville Chamberlain was absolutely complicit in the crimes committed in Czechoslovakia.  And his name is reviled through history for it. 

He is reviled for appeasement, not for war crimes. 

If evidence comes out that Trump knew ethnic cleansing would occur and was ok with it, or if he benefited personally, that would change my opinion. But I don’t see that happening. That totally incompetent letter Trump wrote at least shows that he didn’t want Erdogan to invade. 

He is reviled for appeasement, not for war crimes. 

If evidence comes out that Trump knew ethnic cleansing would occur and was ok with it, or if he benefited personally, that would change my opinion. But I don’t see that happening. That totally incompetent letter Trump wrote at least shows that he didn’t want Erdogan to invade. 
So what? If the zombie apocalypse is coming to your home and your buddy says “alright, I have a plan to stop them.  Abandon the outer defenses and pull back” and while you’re abandoning them and pulling back and waiting for the plan he slips out the back door alone, what’s your view of that guy? Even if he’s shouting “don’t eat them, zombies!” while he runs?

So what? If the zombie apocalypse is coming to your home and your buddy says “alright, I have a plan to stop them.  Abandon the outer defenses and pull back” and while you’re abandoning them and pulling back and waiting for the plan he slips out the back door alone, what’s your view of that guy? Even if he’s shouting “don’t eat them, zombies!” while he runs?

I think he’s a coward and a lousy person. But I don’t think he’s a zombie. 

I think he’s a coward and a lousy person. But I don’t think he’s a zombie. 
Turkey are the zombies in this analogy.  

And now I’m thinking about zombie turkeys.  Great. 

He’s responsible for what happens to the people in that house.  He didn’t kill them, but he might as well have. He knew what would happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey are the zombies in this analogy.  

And now I’m thinking about zombie turkeys.  Great. 

He’s responsible for what happens to the people in that house.  He didn’t kill them, but he might as well have. He knew what would happen. 
Why can’t we make moral distinctions here? They’re important. 

Trump acted from laziness, incompetence, hubris, use whatever adjectives you need. But ethnic cleansing, which is a form of genocide, is an act of deliberate evil. 

Trump acted from laziness, incompetence, hubris, use whatever adjectives you need. But ethnic cleansing, which is a form of genocide, is an act of deliberate evil. 
Again, he wanted to shoot asylum seekers. Knowing that, what makes you think he cares what happens to these people? 

The agreement with Turkey about the Kurds might be more comparable to the Molotov - Ribbentrop Pact than the Munich "Peace for our time" Agreement. Are there really people who don't think Erdogan is going to attack the Kurds and kill thousands, maybe tens of thousands of people? He's not going to care about how many of them are civilians and neither is Trump, or the GOP members of Congress, or any of Trump's base.

You are giving Trump way too much credit.  He was told exactly what would happen if we pulled out. At a minimum he didn't care and wanted to distract from impeachment hearings and say he was fulfilling a campaign promise. 

From Richard Engel:

The top Kurdish commander in Syria, General Mazlum Kobane told @NBCNews he is trying to pull his forces back from Ras al-Ayn, but Turkey is not allowing it. He alleges Turkey does not want Kurdish fighters to withdraw - a condition of the ceasefire - but to kill them.

11:01 AM · Oct 19, 2019·Twitter Web

A senior US official and the top Kurdish commander both tell @NBCNews that the US-Turkish ceasefire is NOT holding. They say Turkey is using the ceasefire to continue to advance and take territory in and around the border city of Ras al-Ayn.

Has the issue of Trump passing along a letter from the Kurdish General Mazloum, one that apparently was sent to Trump indicating some desire of negotiations and massive concessions, along with his own letter to Erdogan been fleshed out yet?  What came of that?

Users who are viewing this thread