What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leaf Blowers (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
I currently have a hand held Husqvarna and it does well for moderate work loads, but I spend too much time during fall clean up chasing leaves around.  I get a lot of leaves each year, and I have 2 neighbors I would like to help out more (one recently widowed and the other had a recent back surgery).  I am thinking of stepping up to a back pack style beast handle the action.  They can get pretty pricey, but hey, I'm an FBGer...  If I am going to spend this kind of dough on a blower, I do want to make a good purchase.

Anyone have any experience with these models...

STIHL BR 800 X MAGNUM

STIHL BR 800 C-E MAGNUM

Husqvarna 580 BTS

Former landscaper who used the Stihl BR 700 and BR 600. Hand helds are a joke for clean ups.
If your only going to use it 2-3 times a year, maybe consider renting. We never performed  any
maintenance on the Stihls and they started and ran great. I don't know how good the Husqvarna 
is, but you won't go wrong with Stihl or Echo.  

Former landscaper who used the Stihl BR 700 and BR 600. Hand helds are a joke for clean ups.
If your only going to use it 2-3 times a year, maybe consider renting. We never performed  any
maintenance on the Stihls and they started and ran great. I don't know how good the Husqvarna 
is, but you won't go wrong with Stihl or Echo.  
My yard will get blanketed with leaves at least 3 times.  If I am working my neighbors' yards, that will add additional work.  I do use my hand held frequently throughout the year for grass clippings and clearing debris off the deck, so I am not sure if I would just always use the new blower or do a tag team.  I am thinking the powerful back pack blower may also be useful for blasting snow off the front walk and areas of the driveway that the plow doesn't quite clear rather than shoveling...at least lighter, fluffy variety of snow.  

Just mulch them up with your rider mower.  For $20 I bought a cover for where the cut grass would normally shoot out, so keeps the leaves in by the blade and dices them up. 
Another leaf mulching trick I learned is that going over the leaves in reverse with the rider mulches them even finer 

Last edited by a moderator:
All my stuff is Stihl for two reasons. 

Stihl is tough as nails And I only need one fuel mix. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My yard will get blanketed with leaves at least 3 times.  If I am working my neighbors' yards, that will add additional work.  I do use my hand held frequently throughout the year for grass clippings and clearing debris off the deck, so I am not sure if I would just always use the new blower or do a tag team.  I am thinking the powerful back pack blower may also be useful for blasting snow off the front walk and areas of the driveway that the plow doesn't quite clear rather than shoveling...at least lighter, fluffy variety of snow.  
The Stihl BR700 is powerful enough to blast out an acorn buried in the dirt. It could handle light snow.
You'll love your backpack blower, the neighbors?, not so much. The BR800 must be a beast.

From a Popular Mechanics review of the BR800...
During cleanups when I was using the BR600, I could run full throttle and not have to worry too much about damaging
things around people's houses. The BR700 would blow furniture off a patio, and around flower gardens you had to be
very careful. That BR800? You will have to learn throttle control.

Just mulch them up with your rider mower.  For $20 I bought a cover for where the cut grass would normally shoot out, so keeps the leaves in by the blade and dices them up. 
Another leaf mulching trick I learned is that going over the leaves in reverse with the rider mulches them even finer 
Don’t know if this is accurate but I was told by a landscaper that this will kill your grass if it a consistent heavy amount of leaves. 

Maybe pick up a used one at the local Professional lawn mower shop.  I got mine a few years ago and it still runs like a champ.  Makes short of work of projects.  I think it will blow a brick down the driveway if I wanted it to.   

Shindaiwa 

Beef Ravioli said:
Don’t know if this is accurate but I was told by a landscaper that this will kill your grass if it a consistent heavy amount of leaves. 
The last part is the key. Some leaves are good for the yard. Too many are terrible for it though. 

Have had a husq. 150bt for years and it's never let me down.  3 acres, lots of trees....and has been one of my favorite tools to use.

I currently have a hand held Husqvarna and it does well for moderate work loads, but I spend too much time during fall clean up chasing leaves around.  I get a lot of leaves each year, and I have 2 neighbors I would like to help out more (one recently widowed and the other had a recent back surgery).  I am thinking of stepping up to a back pack style beast handle the action.  They can get pretty pricey, but hey, I'm an FBGer...  If I am going to spend this kind of dough on a blower, I do want to make a good purchase.

Anyone have any experience with these models...

STIHL BR 800 X MAGNUM

STIHL BR 800 C-E MAGNUM

Husqvarna 580 BTS
I have the Husgvarna 580...it's a beast.  Have had it for about 5 years...still starts right up on second pull and always made short work of the leaves in my yard.  I had about 2 dozen LARGE oak trees and it always made short work of them...even after a rainstorm.  Since moving to FL, I don't have all those trees, but still use it for cleaning up grass, dirt etc around the house.

SHIZNITTTT said:
When using a backpack blower(BR600) for that large an area I would blow the leaves unto a tarp and them haul them away.
We used to use the Walker mower to shred the leaves then pick them up. We would go over it with the box door open
the first time then pick them up the second pass. A 40' X 40' area, you could shred the leaves, pick them up, and dump
them quicker then it would take that Billygoat to blow them then pick them up.

We shredded them first because picking up the leaves on one pass the box didn't hold that much.

The BR700 you could probably do that 40x40 almost as fast as the Billygoat. They don't show you what model that
backpack is in the video. I bet it's not even a equivalent to a BR600. That Billygoat is powerful but is a lot more limited in
use compared to a backpack. 

When using a backpack blower(BR600) for that large an area I would blow the leaves unto a tarp and them haul them away.
We used to use the Walker mower to shred the leaves then pick them up. We would go over it with the box door open
the first time then pick them up the second pass. A 40' X 40' area, you could shred the leaves, pick them up, and dump
them quicker then it would take that Billygoat to blow them then pick them up.

We shredded them first because picking up the leaves on one pass the box didn't hold that much.

The BR700 you could probably do that 40x40 almost as fast as the Billygoat. They don't show you what model that
backpack is in the video. I bet it's not even a equivalent to a BR600.
That Billygoat is powerful but is a lot more limited in
use compared to a backpack. 
If you watch to the end, they do identify it as the BR600.  To your point, though, the backpack variety is much more versatile, easier control, and as needed can handle tighter spaces.

Well, I channeled my inner Tim Taylor, and purchased the BR 800 X.  I am sure I don't need it, but damn it, I wanted it.  Bring it, trees...let's rock!

If you watch to the end, they do identify it as the BR600.  To your point, though, the backpack variety is much more versatile, easier control, and as needed can handle tighter spaces.

Well, I channeled my inner Tim Taylor, and purchased the BR 800 X.  I am sure I don't need it, but damn it, I wanted it.  Bring it, trees...let's rock!
O.K. then.  The BR600 is a pretty good blower. In an area that big, sooner or later you have to pick up the leaves. Your 
blowing it 40' towards what? Most landsacper's either tarp it or blow it in a pile to vacuem it. That video wasn't close to
hardly any real life examples.

I'll just add this, Be careful close to your house, garage, garden, or whatever.  

Users who are viewing this thread