What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apology For Use Of Word Involving Friends and Transgendered Persons (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I'd like to, not out of pressure, but out of genuine feeling, apologize for my use of the word "trannies" today. I'd especially like to apologize to Workhorse and ilov80s, whose families are affected by these terms and proper usages. When I was being raised and had exposure to the word, it was an inoffensive word, often used by the group of people self-designated that way, to express a description of a condition today referred to as "transgendered." "Tranny," the singular diminutive, has recently been called offensive by GLAAD and other groups, along with publications like HuffPost. While I'd like to raise a large disagreement with the word and its new perception vis a vis its origins, what I really want to do is just apologize to any person or friend who is affected by the condition and do my best to understand, yet not kowtow politically, to concerns of equality and dignity.

I think we all want to be equal and feel dignity. That is what I aim for. I won't use the word that demeans in modern parlance in the future. Best and cheers to all.

rockaction

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t suck. Love Howie. But I feel bad for my dad though. Diehard fan. 
I never said it sucked, but hey, I'm not even sure you're implying that, so I'll agree with you

My father is a hardcore Patriots fan. I have an awfully hard time feeling bad for him when they lose. I sort of enjoy it like nothing else. 

In short, you're a good son, tim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"tranny" historically meant transvestite, or cross dresser (at least as far as i understand it). transgender is a whole different and unrelated thing. 

"tranny" historically meant transvestite, or cross dresser (at least as far as i understand it). transgender is a whole different and unrelated thing. 
Yes, I know that it historically meant transvestite, or cross dresser. Which is not wholly unrelated from transgender and the like, apparently.

Yes, I know that it historically meant transvestite, or cross dresser. Which is not wholly unrelated from transgender and the like, apparently.
transgender people literally feel in their core they are the opposite gender and there may be an underlying biological reason that is the case. i don't think that is true for all transvestites (though it may be for some) 

From the great George Costanza -

"You know, we're living in a society! We're supposed to act in a civilized way."

@rockaction I was not a part of that thread and no idea what happened, context or anything of the sort.  I just think it is very cool that you took the time to think about the words you said, how they impacted others and came to a decision to write about it.  

Respect!

Language evolves, sometimes faster than we are aware. For some this is an opportunity to lecture others that have not kept up.  For others it is a chance to start an educational conversation with those who have not kept up.  Me, I try to not make presumptions about persons who have not kept up during the evolution process. I do not assume they have darkness in their thoughts or minds.  Once things are well-settled, once a term is well understood to have evolved, well then I do make assumptions based upon use of those terms.  I make no negative assumption about the OP.  In fact, the opposite since he came forward to share his self examination.  (Caveat - I am unacquainted with the precipitating post or conversation as I write this.)

@rockaction - I missed this thread.

It’s not up to me to accept an apology, but thank you nonetheless. 

I may not be your fav poster by any means, but you bring a lot to this forum in terms of your passion, intellect, and perspective. Its good to see someone like you recognize the harm in a word, and work toward a better and more accepting society... we all deserve that and we all have at times failed in forwarding that result. So as one who has lived in that glass house, it’s appreciated. 

Yes biggots, racists, sexists, and other deplorables have a way of taking a neutral word and corrupting it.
Sorry, there are no more neutral words.  Everything is 'Code' now, depending on one's level of insecurity and ignorance.  As applying Due Process, granting Freedom of Speech, and practicing The Right To Refuse Service become increasing weaponized in response to the "offenders" world-view, we are running out of acceptable ways to express ourselves.  Connect the dots and look ahead, it's all deplorable.

toshiba said:
Yes biggots, racists, sexists, and other deplorables have a way of taking a neutral word and corrupting it.
Please don't use deplorables, the word is corrupted

Fricken Sotans are so sensitive.  Soon one will not even be able to share Sven and Ole jokes.
I used to know a number of Ole and Lena jokes. Never told any, just listened as a youngster to my elder relatives and friends on Friday nights at the supper club. Lots of old fashioneds, old styles, and hearty laughs. I miss those days, and those people.

I'd like to, not out of pressure, but out of genuine feeling, apologize for my use of the word "trannies" today. I'd especially like to apologize to Workhorse and ilov80s, whose families are affected by these terms and proper usages. When I was being raised and had exposure to the word, it was an inoffensive word, often used by the group of people self-designated that way, to express a description of a condition today referred to as "transgendered." "Tranny," the singular diminutive, has recently been called offensive by GLAAD and other groups, along with publications like HuffPost. While I'd like to raise a large disagreement with the word and its new perception vis a vis its origins, what I really want to do is just apologize to any person or friend who is affected by the condition and do my best to understand, yet not kowtow politically, to concerns of equality and dignity.

I think we all want to be equal and feel dignity. That is what I aim for. I won't use the word that demeans in modern parlance in the future. Best and cheers to all.

rockaction
Ain’t just you.  In fact, a post was pulled up and posted in the moderation thread where I used the same term over five years ago.  I owe the same apology and give it here. 

As I said in that thread, I intended my post directed to you as corrective and not an attack.  It was apparently poorly conveyed. I had thought I corrected my own behavior longer ago than I apparently did.  

I'm all for rolling with the times and adjusting my language so as not to offend, especially in a public forum like this. But the reaction in that thread was way over the top. 
I was bothered as much by the weird bathroom rant. I was unaware of the derogatory nature of “Tranny” as it doesn’t come up much but got a bit out of all the stuff in the thread.

Ain’t just you.  In fact, a post was pulled up and posted in the moderation thread where I used the same term over five years ago.  I owe the same apology and give it here. 

As I said in that thread, I intended my post directed to you as corrective and not an attack.  It was apparently poorly conveyed. I had thought I corrected my own behavior longer ago than I apparently did.  
I appreciated seeing jamny's post. I felt a little more human and out of the doghouse. But like I said over there, I stand by my apology and sincere desire to try and understand -- rather than judge -- individuals qua individuals. Perhaps we both learned a lesson. You're more than forthright on the issue. I say we let everything stand, really, and not try to figure out if, say, for instance, someone like myself constantly dropped the f-bomb as irony back in the late nineties. (I did. I never would today. Too much pain.)

I think even the PSF thread, for all I appreciate people recognizing that I make mistakes too and perhaps was judged with a differing standard, should let go of it, but that's not for me to do or to oversee. I apologized to the people I wanted to apologize to and appreciated the forgiveness granted.

I appreciated seeing jamny's post. I felt a little more human and out of the doghouse. But like I said over there, I stand by my apology and sincere desire to try and understand -- rather than judge -- individuals qua individuals. Perhaps we both learned a lesson. You're more than forthright on the issue. I say we let everything stand, really, and not try to figure out if, say, for instance, someone like myself constantly dropped the f-bomb as irony back in the late nineties. (I did. I never would today. Too much pain.)

I think even the PSF thread, for all I appreciate people recognizing that I make mistakes too and perhaps was judged with a differing standard, should let go of it, but that's not for me to do or to oversee. I apologized to the people I wanted to apologize to and appreciated the forgiveness granted.
You think you did? I was a genuine piece of #### when I was younger.  There's a reason I use Henry Ford as my username, as I believe we've previously discussed.

You think you did? I was a genuine piece of #### when I was younger.  There's a reason I use Henry Ford as my username, as I believe we've previously discussed.
We grow. All we can do is be better than previous iterations of ourselves sometimes. What was it joffer said in the issues thread? The best time to plant a tree was twenty-five years ago. Or now.

All we have under our control is now.

We grow. All we can do is be better than previous iterations of ourselves sometimes. What was it joffer said in the issues thread? The best time to plant a tree was twenty-five years ago. Or now.

All we have under our control is now.
Abso-lutely.

Incidentally, I believe that was the genesis of the "dog pile" feeling of the thread.  And why no one has done that in here, to my knowledge.  Now is when we can change.  Good on you for this response.  May we all do the same when faced with difficult moments.

Users who are viewing this thread