What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking News Thread? (1 Viewer)

Spectrum

Footballguy
Hey sharks,

I was wondering that with 3 #1 RBs possibly unable to play this week, is there a main breaking news/injury updates for each week? I only see "Week 5" injury thread but that was only updated on Tuesday and seems to be mostly news that occurred during the game.

Perhaps a weekly thread with major updates such as practice injuries, etc., so we can stay on top of our rosters/waivers from Wed-Sun?

FBG News Wire

Ignore the bias in headlines and lopsided commentary, but it’s a decent aggregator of league news.
Thanks. This is good. I rely on Rotowire, Rappaport, Schefter, ESPN, etc., but I was wondering if there's a way to compile this into a discussion as well. I mean, we can always follow individual threads for Kamara, DJ, Gurley, etc., but being able to not only post updates but discuss strategy (I guess this may be dipping into Assistant Coach forum) as far as ranking the urgency between several players who may not suit up would be good.

Example, the link you posted summarizes this:

Panthers | Christian McCaffrey will play (Thu Oct 10, 11:54 AM)     [jump to this story]

Jets | Chris Herndon likely out two weeks (Thu Oct 10, 11:38 AM)     [jump to this story]

Eagles | DeSean Jackson likely out again (Thu Oct 10, 11:13 AM)     [jump to this story]

Cardinals | David Johnson could be game-time decision (Thu Oct 10, 01:38 AM)     [jump to this story]

So then the Original post could be continually edited with not only status updates such as above but determine a priority of most to least likely to suit up.

this sounds like you're asking for a summary of the Shark Pool in a single thread based on players you care about so you can link to the actual thread that has the information from that thread. so, like a search function. but not the search function. this sounds like a great idea and you should start that thread each week. please make sure it's updated daily. you might want to use the search function to find the threads with the info you need at the start of each day to make sure it's updated. Thank you in advance.

this sounds like you're asking for a summary of the Shark Pool in a single thread based on players you care about so you can link to the actual thread that has the information from that thread. so, like a search function. but not the search function. this sounds like a great idea and you should start that thread each week. please make sure it's updated daily. you might want to use the search function to find the threads with the info you need at the start of each day to make sure it's updated. Thank you in advance.
Make the thread you want to see - Gandhi

I'm sure you're in multiple leagues following multiple players. We're trying to find fun but also efficient ways to be first to pick up players, ala Nick Chubb 2018. I wasn't asking for a summary of the entire Shark Pool, so no need to be sarcastic and snarky. I, for one, didn't know FBG had its own newswire page until it was linked above. I was gauging the desire for a weekly thread that focuses on breaking news, updates not for every player, but for startable players, such as the newswire page focuses on. I understand it may take some effort to figure out the how, but I was floating the idea to gauge interest or see if there's anything similar.

I'm sure you're in multiple leagues following multiple players. We're trying to find fun but also efficient ways to be first to pick up players, ala Nick Chubb 2018. I wasn't asking for a summary of the entire Shark Pool, so no need to be sarcastic and snarky. I, for one, didn't know FBG had its own newswire page until it was linked above. I was gauging the desire for a weekly thread that focuses on breaking news, updates not for every player, but for startable players, such as the newswire page focuses on. I understand it may take some effort to figure out the how, but I was floating the idea to gauge interest or see if there's anything similar.
The newswire doesn’t “focus on” startable players.  It covers everything  which those of us in very deep leagues appreciate.  Yes they split out headlines separate from the general “team practice report” when a star doesn’t play, but you still get items like:

Redskins | Jester Weah lands in Washington

Raiders | Lester Cotton added to practice squad

Giants | Akeem Hunt to work out for NYG

They just don’t have enough punter news.

but here's the thing. when you say "startable players," you can't define it. it means something different for everyone. FBG and the Sharkpool has the info you want, you have to go find it though. what you described is absolutely a great idea, but a message board thread won't accomplish this unless you have someone dedicated enough to your definition of "startable players," which is only you. yes, my first response was snarky, this one isn't. would you want to take this on? why would anyone else? we're not staff.

as far as news for your player only, I assume you play in a league that's hosted somewhere. even yahoo's interface gives you news just for your players. what you get here is a more in depth analysis of the news, but the news i assume is already there for you wherever you are hosting your league.

my snarky answer was more fun to type that these obvious things.

Maybe what he wants is something like MyFBG that is customized to his own personal league rosters?  I havent used it much, but doesn’t it have a news feed for just his guys?

Maybe what he wants is something like MyFBG that is customized to his own personal league rosters?  I havent used it much, but doesn’t it have a news feed for just his guys?
MyFBG does work just like what he described actually. the 5 second primer is close, with maybe the only thing lacking being the analysis we see here on the board by the community, which I find carries a lot of value in itself, sometimes more so than expert rankings and advice.

MyFBG does work just like what he described actually. the 5 second primer is close, with maybe the only thing lacking being the analysis we see here on the board by the community, which I find carries a lot of value in itself, sometimes more so than expert rankings and advice.
I suppose similar to MyFBG but as you mentioned, it doesn't have the community contributions. Noted on the "startable" difficulty. I suppose what I was looking for is if there's something similar to the "Week 5 Injury Thread" that Maurice graciously posts every Sunday, but that thread died after Tuesday so there's no follow-up. Yahoo, ESPN, twitter, FBG, those do a fine job aggregating news. But the community discussion around it is what is missing. Searching every player is fine, I just figured there may be a way to aggregate "Week 5 Injury Follow-ups" or something similar.

I suppose similar to MyFBG but as you mentioned, it doesn't have the community contributions. Noted on the "startable" difficulty. I suppose what I was looking for is if there's something similar to the "Week 5 Injury Thread" that Maurice graciously posts every Sunday, but that thread died after Tuesday so there's no follow-up. Yahoo, ESPN, twitter, FBG, those do a fine job aggregating news. But the community discussion around it is what is missing. Searching every player is fine, I just figured there may be a way to aggregate "Week 5 Injury Follow-ups" or something similar.
Serious answer, not schtick:

Fire this up!  It’s not a bad idea, and if you take ownership of it and get it rolling each week, I’m sure the knowledgeable posters here will contribute to it.

The newswire doesn’t “focus on” startable players.  It covers everything  which those of us in very deep leagues appreciate.  Yes they split out headlines separate from the general “team practice report” when a star doesn’t play, but you still get items like:

Redskins | Jester Weah lands in Washington

Raiders | Lester Cotton added to practice squad

Giants | Akeem Hunt to work out for NYG

They just don’t have enough punter news.
I see. Ok, I can use that page. I've received good advice in this community many times before ESPN sent out a tweet, such as "Guys definitely pick up Charcandrick West RIGHT NOW" ... ok maybe not that one..but something in addition to just injury designations. I receive and love the emails from the staff, just hoping there was active discussion centralized somewhere without it getting too chaotic for one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the sleeperbot suggestion. I found a lot of comments on that on r/fantasyfootball, mostly positive...er sorry to bring up Reddit

Users who are viewing this thread