What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Authentic Cajun Recipe thread (1 Viewer)

ragincajun

Footballguy
With it getting cooler I thought I would share my red beans recipe.

Red beans and rice can be made a hundred different ways, however here is my recipe for those cold days.

1# Dry Red Kidney Beans

1 - Yellow Onion

1 - Green Bell Pepper

3-4 stalks of celery

4-5 stalks of green onions

Parsley - Eyeballed maybe a teaspoon

Minced Garlic - I just eyeball it.  A couple teaspoons or so

1 pound of sausage - You want a smoked sausage but you can also play around here.  I currently use a chicken sausage for the calories and its still pretty damn good.

1 - Chicken bouillon cube

1 - Tsp liquid smoke

1 - tsp Tony Chachere (pronounced sat-cher-ee)  https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning

1 - Bay leaf

Step 1:  Add kidney beans to a pot and add water until it is 1" over beans

Step 2:  The next day pour out the "soaking water"

Step 3:  Dice bell pepper, onion, celery, onions, parsley, garlic and dump into the pot.  I keep one of these on hand in case just in case. https://www.innit.com/nutrition/guidrys-fresh-cuts-creole-seasoning/p/00741739001004

Step 4:  Add bouillon cube, liquid smoke, "Tony's", bay leaf, and the sausage (cut the sausage up however you want.)  On occasion I will cut my sausage into about 1/4" wide pieces and fry them in a black iron skillet for a bit first.  It gives a different flavor I find.

Step 5: Add water to about 1"" above the beans and stuff.

Step 6 - 29:  Bring to a boil and then simmer.  Here is the art part of it.  Simmering means different times for different stoves it seems.  What took me 3 hours at my old house may take me 4 hours on my gas stove.  The trick is to keep an eye on it and make sure to stir it on occasion so the beans do not stick to the bottom and burn.  Some like their red beans watery (think chicken soup) and some like them thick (think potato soup).  I like mine thick so I cook them down a little more than others.  When it gets to the point I think I like the consistency I will smash some beans on the side of the pot with the spoon to thicken them a bit more.  Complete.

Step 30:  Cook rice; whatever kind you like and mix in a bowl with your red beans.

Other tips:

1.  Try some shredded cheddar on top and some fresh green onions.  Gives it a completely different flavor.  

2.  If you want some real Cajun sausage then you can google a plethora of places however this is a one stop shop.  https://www.cajungrocer.com/  The shipping may get you, but looking quickly at their sausages they have mostly the same types I would buy.

I was always told to use a ham bone instead of sausage because traditionally, you had a Sunday ham and used the bone for beans and rice later in the week.

Red beans and rice can be made a hundred different ways, however here is my recipe for those cold days.

1# Dry Red Kidney Beans

1 - Yellow Onion

1 - Green Bell Pepper

3-4 stalks of celery

1 pound of sausage - You want a smoked sausage but you can also play around here.  I currently use a chicken sausage for the calories and its still pretty damn good.

1 - Tsp liquid smoke

1 - tsp Tony Chachere (pronounced sat-cher-ee)  https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning

1 - Bay leaf

Step 3:  Dice bell pepper, onion, celery, onions, parsley, garlic and dump into the pot.  I keep one of these on hand in case just in case. https://www.innit.com/nutrition/guidrys-fresh-cuts-creole-seasoning/p/00741739001004

Step 4:  Add bouillon cube, liquid smoke, "Tony's", bay leaf, and the sausage (cut the sausage up however you want.)  On occasion I will cut my sausage into about 1/4" wide pieces and fry them in a black iron skillet for a bit first.  It gives a different flavor I find.

Step 6 - 29:  Bring to a boil and then simmer.  Here is the art part of it.  Simmering means different times for different stoves it seems.  What took me 3 hours at my old house may take me 4 hours on my gas stove.  The trick is to keep an eye on it and make sure to stir it on occasion so the beans do not stick to the bottom and burn.  Some like their red beans watery (think chicken soup) and some like them thick (think potato soup).  I like mine thick so I cook them down a little more than others.  When it gets to the point I think I like the consistency I will smash some beans on the side of the pot with the spoon to thicken them a bit more.  Complete.

Step 30:  Cook rice; whatever kind you like and mix in a bowl with your red beans.

Other tips:

1.  Try some shredded cheddar on top and some fresh green onions.  Gives it a completely different flavor.  

2.  If you want some real Cajun sausage then you can google a plethora of places however this is a one stop shop.  https://www.cajungrocer.com/  The shipping may get you, but looking quickly at their sausages they have mostly the same types I would buy.
Man, I miss being able to get good red beans and rice just about anywhere in the south.  Impossible to find in Oregon, so thanks for posting this.

Question - why not use rich chicken stock instead of a bullion?  I make homemade stock and much prefer it to anything store bought.  

If anyone would be kind enough to share a great etouffee recipe, I would be forever in their debt. I believe they start with a roux, and I prefer a light to medium roux for etouffee but between that and the trinity I have no idea where to go.  For reference, my idea of etouffee perfection is served at Bellue's over by Exxon in Baton Rouge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I miss being able to get good red beans and rice just about anywhere in the south.  Impossible to find in Oregon, so thanks for posting this.

Question - why not use rich chicken stock instead of a bullion?  I make homemade stock and much prefer it to anything store bought.  
You could.  Just make sure to watch the volume of liquid as you don’t want it to soupy or it will take forever to cook down.

If anyone would be kind enough to share a great etouffee recipe, I would be forever in their debt. I believe they start with a roux, and I prefer a light to medium roux for etouffee but between that and the trinity I have no idea where to go.  For reference, my idea of etouffee perfection is served at Bellue's over by Exxon in Baton Rouge.
I try to stay on the other side of town unless it’s for an interview at Exxon.

Bellue’s👍

I try to stay on the other side of town unless it’s for an interview at Exxon.

Bellue’s👍
Oh, I never said it was a nice part of town.  But next time you're there ask the guy that owns it (Wert Bellue I think) to show you his toys.  Crazy, crazy stuff.  An entire kitchen of massively sized and unique equipment that he has made himself over the years. Its like a cajun ingenuity steampunk wonderland. You would never know it was a kitchen by looking at it.

Ron Swanson said:
Haha...got a buddy that lives around the corner from Toup's Meatery.  And I have business locations in Luling and Baton Rouge so I get out there from time to time. 
Hit me up next time you are around.  Perhaps a cornhole lunch.

Here is what I used for this batch:

1 cup Veggie Oil

1 cup all purpose flour

Container of prechopped veggies.  See first post for the approximate veggie mixture.

1 rotisserie chicken

A couple links of sausage

4 cups chicken stock

Seasonings 

Step 1: Pull the chicken off your rotisserie chicken and throw the carcass away.  Cut your sausage and veggies.   Have all of this ready to rock as this is what stops your roux from cooking and ultimately burning.

Step 2: Over Low/medium heat mix your flour and oil.  I use a whisk but you have to be careful of splattering.  I started with a spoon.  Do not leave this unattended.  Just keep whisking.  You can see the progression of the color in the pics.  The better you get at it the higher the heat and faster you can go however if you burn it you have to start over.

3. Once your roux gets to the stage you are comfortable then pull your pot off the burner or turn it off and slooowly add in your veggies and stir them in.  Be very careful not to splash the oil on yourself aka liquid napalm.  Add your chicken and sausage and mix in.  After that is striped all together I add the chicken stock, so there is less chance of it splattering the oil.

4.  Add some black pepper, salt, cayenne, or whatever Cajun seasoning is on hand to taste.  I would start with a few dashes and then season to taste towards the end.

5. Bring to a boil and then simmer.  At this point it was a little thicker than I wanted so I added a cup of water.  Remember it’s going to cook down some.  Make sure to stir occasionally.

6.  I will probably let this simmer for an hour or so.

7. Eat with rice.

Will use the bacon grease to brown the sausage in, then will use all that fat/grease to saute the veggies.  

Also, I use a potatoe masher in this - great tool to use with beans. 
Look up Paul Prudhomme Fried Chicken Gumbo.  He fries his chicken for the gumbo and uses that oil for the roux.

Quick-soaking the red beans with red amber ale from Ninkasi - Dawn of the Red.  Why not, right?  

Bacon up next.  Will skip the roasting veggies part.  No need. 

ragincajun said:

1# Dry Red Kidney Beans

1 - Yellow Onion

1 - Green Bell Pepper

3-4 stalks of celery

1 - Tsp liquid smoke

1 - Bay leaf

Other tips:

The exact recipe as taught to me by my Louisiana native former roommate.  He did not use the chicken bouillon so I may have to try that.  And semi pro tip: if you can't find the real Cajun sausage a ham steak will work ok in a pinch.  

Well, just polished off the last of my red beans and rice that I cooked up on Saturday.  Really appreciate this thread for the idea.  Mine turned out so good I might make it again.

Couple of changes:
- I quick soaked the red beans in red ale (not sure that made much of a difference, but I like to experiment).
- I cooked up some bacon, gave most of it to the kids, then browned the sliced up andouille sausage in the grease for a few minutes until it browned up.  Removed with a slotted spoon and then cooked the veggies in the grease.  Added some smokey flavor.
- I seasoned the veggies with Tony's, Spanish Paprika and added about 2 TBSP of tomato paste.  Cooked this all down for about 10 minutes.
- Moved everything into the bigger soup pot with the beans and used about 4 cups of chicken stock instead of the bullion cube/water.  Also added another beer here.
- Threw in the sausage, a handful of crumbled bacon and a pinch of allspice, a couple of cloves, bay leaves and the liquid smoke.  Also grabbed some fresh thyme and oregano from my wife's gardens.
- I brought it all to a boil, then simmered for a good two hours.  I used a potato masher to pounce on the beans, which created that nice creamy texture.  

It was damn good and only got better the longer it sat in the fridge.  Flavors today were outstanding.  

We had a cold front come through over the weekend.  My wife made gumbo, which is a tradition for the first cool snap of the year.  It'll last all week! You should be jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread