What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Miami vs. Washington Game Thread*** The Tank Bowl for the #1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft! (1 Viewer)

As a Skins fan I'm torn on this game. Feel that the QBs coming out this year are superior to Haskins, but still don't have enough info to know if he's a bust or not. I'd also like the Skins to get rid of Bruce Allen and it seems only a disaster of a season could even get the thought of it happening. Would 0-16 do it? 1-15? Horrible time to be a Skins fan :(

Here’s what a Dolphins win against Redskins could mean for Miami — this season

We’re six weeks into the NFL season, and the Miami Dolphins are already experiencing the quirky predicament players and teams near the bottom of the league deal with on a yearly basis.

Win and preserve your pride, or lose and elevate your NFL draft status.

It’s a struggle NFL teams typically deal with and address closer to the end of the season, where the final games on the schedule could have sweeping ramifications on the future.

Unfortunately for the Dolphins, they will face that unique situation on Sunday, hosting a fellow winless team in the Washington Redskins, who could be in position for a franchise overhaul like Miami after firing their coach and getting off to an 0-5 start.

While some Dolphins fans may advocate for a loss, with hopes it could land Miami the top pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the team’s players and coaches are approaching the game with a vastly different mindset.

“We’re going to go out on Sunday and go to win,” Dolphins captain and offensive lineman Daniel Kilgore said. “As much as everybody wants us to lose to secure the No. 1 pick, I don’t give a damn. We’re going out and win.”

Despite the effects a victory could have on Miami’s future, Dolphins players are more concerned with trying to earn their first win of the season.

“It would be big. It would be really big,” receiver Albert Wilson said. “It’s something that we’ve been fighting for, for a long time. For us to come out here and attack the bye week the way we did and get out here and get a [win], I think it’s going to put us in the right direction.”

Dolphins quarterback Josh Rosen said a victory would bring joy and new life to the team after the rough start to their trying season.

“I think it is tough coming in after a Monday and sitting in that team meeting and just — everything is just easier with a win,” Rosen said. “It just brings some of the joy back into the game. It is kind of that extra little juice that keeps you coming back.”

The team has said it is adamantly against the notion of tanking by purposely losing to land the top pick, but they have yet to play a competitive game.

The Dolphins have held a lead over an opponent just once all season. They have scored just two touchdowns. They rank last in several statistical categories that shed light on the glaring needs the team must fill in the future to become competitive again.

Now, they will face a team that could be renewed by a coaching change after Jay Gruden was fired Monday.

Starting safety Bobby McCain, a rookie when former Dolphins coach Joe Philbin was fired in 2015, remembers how the coaching change helped spark a two-game winning streak.

“They’re going to be fired up,” McCain said about the Redskins. “It’s going to be like they hit refresh and they’re going to feel like it’s brand new for them, but we’ve just got to come in, put the fire out and try to get a win.”

Miami has a tougher schedule to tank. They also play Cincinnati the next to last game of the year. And Rosen is better than Haskins from what I've seen so far. In the last game, Miami plays NE who may have it all wrapped up by then. Miami has played tough the first half of the last 2 games, I think they win this game. 

The ultimate chess match. It has to be hard to look like you are trying but secretly wanting to fail. Whoever successfully fails more without being too obvious will come out on top in this one (by coming out on top they will lose). Good luck to both. I am rooting for a tie.

Figure I'll roll the dice and take Washington in a survivor pool. Then Miami sometime too if Washington wins this week lol. 

Also rolling AP at RB due to injuries and bye week.

Thinking about a Preston Williams start in another league over the likes of Crowder, MV-S, Beasley, and Parker who are all on the FA.

So, this toilet bowl game has lots of implications, draft pick order or otherwise.

The thing about tanking teams is that, especially in the NFL where most of the current players are not going to be on the team when it gets good again, the coaches and players are actually trying to win. The tanking is on the part of the front office in terms of trades, contract dumps, etc.

Miami could well win because the players will be trying because they are fighting for future jobs.

If Gruden were still coaching the Skins, I might well have picked Miami. He was phoning it in and the players could sense it. But I think the Skins will benefit from the “new coach bounce” we sometimes see and pull it out.

The thing about tanking teams is that, especially in the NFL where most of the current players are not going to be on the team when it gets good again, the coaches and players are actually trying to win. The tanking is on the part of the front office in terms of trades, contract dumps, etc.

Miami could well win because the players will be trying because they are fighting for future jobs.

If Gruden were still coaching the Skins, I might well have picked Miami. He was phoning it in and the players could sense it. But I think the Skins will benefit from the “new coach bounce” we sometimes see and pull it out.
Good post.

kittenmittens said:
I can see Allen orchestrating an intentional loss. Doubt Miami would do that. 
I think Allen is more like a politician than a football guy. He's not orchestrating a loss. He fired the head coach a week before Washington plays the perceived worst team in the league because a win against Miami would let him say that the coach was the problem, and not the horrible job he's done as a GM/President since he's been in Washington.

I think Allen is more like a politician than a football guy. He's not orchestrating a loss. He fired the head coach a week before Washington plays the perceived worst team in the league because a win against Miami would let him say that the coach was the problem, and not the horrible job he's done as a GM/President since he's been in Washington.
Oh, yes, we're at a strip club. And you simply need a loan to pay rent? Sure...when can I expect payment?

If Snyder and Allen don't have some sort of understanding, it's pretty mystifying how Allen has a job at all. 

I’m considering AP over Mixon in a standard league. I mean Mixon couldn’t even muster 10 points against Arizona. Arizona! And to complicate matters, friggen Drake is actually on the WW. I could pick him up as well. I can’t believe my season has come to this...this desperate situation 🤣

I’m considering AP over Mixon in a standard league. I mean Mixon couldn’t even muster 10 points against Arizona. Arizona! And to complicate matters, friggen Drake is actually on the WW. I could pick him up as well. I can’t believe my season has come to this...this desperate situation 🤣
Not a bad week to be desperate lol. Don'tcha gotta keep Mixon in? Then AP or Drake aren't too bad of plays this week. Time for someone in this game to shine?

So, this game has implications for my team as well. Looks like Preston Williams is gonna get the start and AP in another league. Also. rolling the dice with Washington in a survivor pool. This game could be the game of the week lol.

The NFL has gone to great lengths to minimize exposure to this game, but yet on boards like this, everyone is talking about it because of the trainwreck potential.

The NFL has gone to great lengths to minimize exposure to this game, but yet on boards like this, everyone is talking about it because of the trainwreck potential.
With the Bills on bye, this will probably the main early game that I watch.  We play the Dolphins next week and Washington three weeks from now, so there's a "scouting" aspect to it.  But mainly, this game has the potential for some off-the-charts entertainment value, like the sports equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Shutdown CB Xavien Howard is out (knee and Tua tank, per local conspiracy). Start McLauren with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread