What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lawrence should never step on the field for Clemson again.  Hope Tua had an insurance policy
Is there any incentive for players who already know they'll be top five draft picks to play their final year any more?  After bosa went 2nd overall last year every player with a top ten projection should sit out with an "injury" in order to be healthy.  At least until the ncaa starts letting the players profit off the gazillions it makes off them.

So some people are questioning why he even played today or why he is playing when Alabama up big.  People said he was limping in pregame.  Was sabah pushing for a big blowout.

So some people are questioning why he even played today or why he is playing when Alabama up big.  People said he was limping in pregame.  Was sabah pushing for a big blowout.
My guess is that if anyone was pushing for Tua to play, it was Tua, not Saban.

I can't ever remember seeing a football player airlifted to a hospital.  That's usually reserved for near fatal circumstances.

Really feel bad for Tua. He was a top-5 lock, and maybe #1. Hopefully he is able to make a full recovery. I've heard comparisons to the Bo Jackson injury, but that was also almost 30 years ago, and medical science has come a long way since then.

From an NFL perspective, this isn't the worst argument against tanking. There is no promises that the guy you want will be available, whether by staying in school, someone trading up, or by injury. 

Why and what do you feel that way? Is their some pregame speak?
Because competitive athletes have been begging and pressuring their coaches to let them back on the field since the beginning of sports.

Heck I didn't catch all of it, but I thought I saw some footage of Tua lobbying Saban today, shortly before he got hurt.

Is there any incentive for players who already know they'll be top five draft picks to play their final year any more?  After bosa went 2nd overall last year every player with a top ten projection should sit out with an "injury" in order to be healthy.  At least until the ncaa starts letting the players profit off the gazillions it makes off them.
for guys like Tua there really isn't.  College FB is a scam once a player is projected to go top 5-10.  they should sit out and stop playing for free when they get in that position.  

College FB will still be fine once the small group of top players start sitting out junior year.  It's such a small group the NCAA can still run their scam and be fine.

for guys like Tua there really isn't.  College FB is a scam once a player is projected to go top 5-10.  they should sit out and stop playing for free when they get in that position.  

College FB will still be fine once the small group of top players start sitting out junior year.  It's such a small group the NCAA can still run their scam and be fine.
The NCAA is a scam since 5-10 athletes (out of hundreds of thousands) "only" get a free education, world class coaching/facilities/training/nutrition/equipment/medicine/etc, elite competition, and a global stage to showcase their talents.

How awful it must be to be Joey Bosa, Saquon Barkley, Sam Darnold etc.

If they want to sit out then I've got zero problem with that.  And there's surely an argument to be made that that's the best choice for a few of these guys.  But let's dial back the victim angle here.  They're not sitting out as some principled stand against the NCAA's dastardly exploitation or out of some refusal to "play for free".  It's 100% a business decision -- an income maximization strategy.  No different than Leveon Bell skipping 2018.

Rotoworld:

Alabama officially announced Saturday night that junior QB Tua Tagovailoa suffered a dislocated right hip during the Crimson Tide's win over Mississippi State.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) went down late in the second quarter, and according to team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Lyle Cain the dislocation was immediately reduced at the stadium. Shortly thereafter he was flown to St. Vincent Medical Center in Birmingham for more tests to determine the best way to treat the injury. According to Dr. Cain, Tagovailoa will miss the remainder of the season but is expected to make a full recovery.

SOURCE: Andy Staples on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 8:04 PM ET

If he has avascular necrosis or sciatic nerve injury, it could be over for him. It really depends on how severe the injury actually is. Only the orthopedic surgeons have any clue on this. The early reports I read is he is expected to make a full recovery. That gives me hope that this might not be the worst case scenario.

Bo's hip injury led to a low of blood flow to the area that damaged bone and cartilage. But I think they didn't discover the problem until a few weeks after the injury.

I'm guessing 28 years later they've got better techniques and are on high alert got such things regarding Tua.
My daughter broker her hip when she fell in our kitchen a few years ago (freak accident kind of thing).  Anyway, the doctors told us of the potential blood flow issue and that we might not know about it for up to a year IIRC.

My daughter broker her hip when she fell in our kitchen a few years ago (freak accident kind of thing).  Anyway, the doctors told us of the potential blood flow issue and that we might not know about it for up to a year IIRC.
Yikes, maybe my guess is wrong then...Here's to hoping!

(Your daughter ended up okay?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, maybe my guess is wrong then...Here's to hoping!

(Your daughter ended up okay?)
Yeah, I hope I'm wrong about that timeline too - either way sucks for Tua and I feel bad for him.

She's fine now, thanks for asking.  She broke the neck of the femur but there was no dislocation or displacement of the bone.  Three screws in her hip and she is fully recovered.  And her draft outlook did not change :lol:    

I can't ever remember seeing a football player airlifted to a hospital.  That's usually reserved for near fatal circumstances.
My limited understanding is that the hospital is a relatively short flight via airlift, compared to a 2.5 hour drive, and has some of the best ortho care in the country, hence the decision.

From Dr. Lyle Cain:

“For the past 24 hours our medical team has consulted with multiple orthopedic experts across the country, who specialize in hip injuries and surgeries. Based on that research, Tua is being flown to Houston tonight to be evaluated and is scheduled to have hip surgery Monday. As previously stated, we anticipate a full recovery. The main focus has been, and will remain, on Tua, his family, and making sure we are providing them the best medical care possible.”

Steve Tasker said:
My limited understanding is that the hospital is a relatively short flight via airlift, compared to a 2.5 hour drive, and has some of the best ortho care in the country, hence the decision.
A fractured hip is a medical emergency where time matters. 

Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa underwent successful surgery on his right hip Monday in Houston, Alabama team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Lyle Cain announced in a statement.

“Tua underwent successful surgery on his right hip Monday morning in Houston,” Cain said. “The procedure went as planned, and he is resting comfortably. Tua’s prognosis is excellent, and we expect him to make a full recovery. He will return to Tuscaloosa in the next several days to begin his rehab.”

What are the odds Tua does NOT declare for the NFL draft this year, rehabs for a year, and then enters the following season?  This year his stock could take a huge hit, and he'd be subjected to a lot of (possibly too) early medical evaluation.  Instead give it a year to get back to form and come out next season when only Lawrence at #1 overall seems like a solid bet.

This is the best article I've read on understanding the injury and the potential impact to Tua going forward. 

CBS Insight

The article spells out the potential complications, some of the issues with Bo Jackson's recovery, and just how complex this recovery is.  This article makes me think if Tua ever gets to play football again it would be a miracle.

Looks like the immediate corrective measures was to put the hip back in place to restore blood flow.   Then they needed to get him to a level 1 trauma center where they do pelvic work.   For all intensive purposes today's surgery was probably the equivalent of "immediate" given everything that needed to happen.

Willis McGahee bought a $2,500,000 insurance policy for $20,000 just 2 weeks before he had a severe knee injury in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. The family took out a loan for the premium. I didn't realize the timing until just now. He entered the draft instead of collecting. I'm pretty sure Drew "show me the money" Rosenhaus played a role in the insurance policy. 

I wonder if Tua had an insurance policy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-jan-07-sp-newswire7-story.html%3f_amp=true

Willis McGahee bought a $2,500,000 insurance policy for $20,000 just 2 weeks before he had a severe knee injury in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. The family took out a loan for the premium. I didn't realize the timing until just now. He entered the draft instead of collecting. I'm pretty sure Drew "show me the money" Rosenhaus played a role in the insurance policy. 

I wonder if Tua had an insurance policy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-jan-07-sp-newswire7-story.html%3f_amp=true
I'm sure he has one. Anyone who makes approximately zero now but is expected to make tens of millions in the coming years should have something in place.

He was already drafted in devy leagues 1-2 years ago
Not in my 3 devy leagues. Of course they are start 1 qb leagues.  The top devy rbs and wrs are gone however.  Trevor Lawrence is gone too.

trader jake said:
What are the odds Tua does NOT declare for the NFL draft this year, rehabs for a year, and then enters the following season?  This year his stock could take a huge hit, and he'd be subjected to a lot of (possibly too) early medical evaluation.  Instead give it a year to get back to form and come out next season when only Lawrence at #1 overall seems like a solid bet.
That's what I expect to happen. 

Fields has also passed Lawrence in the consensus so that would be a pretty ridiculously good QB class. 

That's what I expect to happen. 

Fields has also passed Lawrence in the consensus so that would be a pretty ridiculously good QB class. 
Lawrence is the QB to have in 2021.  I have no doubts about that.  He's the best NFL QB prospect since Andrew Luck.

Lawrence is the QB to have in 2021.  I have no doubts about that.  He's the best NFL QB prospect since Andrew Luck.
I don't necessarily disagree.  I'm just seeing Fields as the number 1 2021 QB everywhere now and he was right behind Trevor as a high school prospect.  

A class of Trevor, Tua, Fields would likely be the best in 45 years. 

After this I truly wonder if Lawrence will play next season if they win it again.  I mean what would be the point?  Any legal eagles out there that can give input in case TL went the legal route and tried to sue his way in?

Users who are viewing this thread