What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (2 Viewers)

I personally think the last 48 hours have been a smoke screen. Everybody knows the Lions pick is for sale and Miami/SD have a lot to gain from muddying the waters. 

I personally think the last 48 hours have been a smoke screen. Everybody knows the Lions pick is for sale and Miami/SD have a lot to gain from muddying the waters. 
Giants also floating the #4 pick, previously thought to be the top O.T. in the ratings.

3 teams said Tua was off their draft board.  So if those teams were KC, Hou, and Sea ...  well that's pretty meaningless.  All that matters is what MIA, LAC, and JAX think of him.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Detroit picks tua. 

But I think he actually falls further than we'd have assumed. Jacksonville.  Just today's feeling. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if Detroit picks tua. 

But I think he actually falls further than we'd have assumed. Jacksonville.  Just today's feeling. 
I would be stunned if Detroit took Tua.

Only way that's remotely possible is if Stafford's injury is seen as much more serious than all the reports on his recovery.

2020 NFL Draft: Wonderlic test scores revealed, Tua Tagovailoa ranks lowest among quarterbacks, per report

...Tagovailoa scored a 13 on the Wonderlic test, the lowest score among the quarterbacks in the 2020 draft class
That's kind of ironic if true.

That's the exact same score Lamar Jackson scored on the wonderlic before his draft day tumble. That was the draft where the broncos, Colts, Bears, Dolphins, Bucs, Redskins, raiders, chargers, Bengals, Titans, and Jags all passed on Jackson. Jacksonville had the 29th pick and drafted Taven Bryan instead. Maybe some of those GM's are the ones that should be taking the wonderlic. Or a drug test.

Jim Kelly scored a 15, no wonder he never could read a defense. BTW is it true Frank Gore scored a 6?! I'm honestly not even sure what the wonderlic score is supposed to prove or even measure. 

Dolphins don’t draft a QB early? 

The biggest question surrounding the Dolphins right now is whether Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert is their man. Not so fast, Fin fans, there’s another player that has piqued Chris Grier’s interest.

According to PFN’s Tony Pauline, the Dolphins have done their homework on Utah State’s Jordan Love this past offseason and have “liked him” for a while. The former Aggie regressed in his final year, but the tools, arm strength, and mechanics could have him geared up to become one of the top pocket-passers in the league by 2022.

If the Dolphins do love, well, Love, would they use the fifth overall selection on him? According to Pauline, it would “be shocking” to see it. Still, the need for offensive tackle is relevant, leading to perhaps Miami selecting Louisville’s Mekhi Becton in the top-five and taking Love later at the 18th pick.

However, all of this could be smoke and mirrors to push down an offensive lineman. Since the beginning, the “Tank for Tua” trend has gone viral across the internet. By forcing teams to perhaps move up for “their guy”, the Dolphins could stand pat, grab their quarterback and see players they expected to be gone drop in their lap later.

There’s no reason to believe just days before the draft, Miami isn’t interested in a player they’ve liked for months. Until otherwise, Tua should be putting on sunblock. South Beach will burn you if you forget.

Verdict: Sell
Two Minute Warning: Debunking the final 2020 NFL Draft rumors NFL Draft rumors have been flying around left and right. PFN's Lead NFL writer Cole Thompson debunks which are true and which probably a

Dane Brugler of The Athletic said on Monday that "it's really tough to tell where" Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa will end up in this week's draft. 

"If we had a doctor tell a GM, 'hey, we think there's a 50/50 chance that Tua plays his rookie contract and doesn't miss a game, averages 15 starts per year,' one GM might hear that and say 'we love those odds,'" Brugler said on the Ross Tucker Podcast. "Where another GM would say, 'that's not where we want to go. We're gonna go with a safer pick." Tagovailoa, while cleared by doctors after undergoing hip surgery in November, is the wild card of the Top 10. Miami (5th overall pick) and the LA Chargers (6th) both have holes at the quarterback position to fill, but those teams' comfort levels with his medical reports will go a long way towards determining where the former Alabama signal-caller goes. Oregon's Justin Herbert is another name to consider in the race to be the second quarterback selected come Thursday night. 

RELATED: 

Justin Herbert

SOURCE: Ross Tucker on Twitter

Apr 20, 2020, 12:26 PM ET

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa's surgeon insists he is not at greater risk of re-injury following his hip operation. 

"No, he is not susceptible to injury," Dr. Chip Routt said. "We have a nice repair that should lower the chances of arthritic damage as he gets to be an old man. His injury had a pattern that allowed us to put the pieces back where they came from." Routt, of course, is going to say good things about his own operation, but this does seem to be the general consensus amongst the NFL-adjacent doctors who have weighed in on Tua's injury heard round the world. He is the single more fascinating player to watch heading into Thursday's first round. 

SOURCE:  NFL.com

Apr 21, 2020, 1:51 PM ET

But Dolphins doctors examined Tagovailoa extensively in Indianapolis. And the club gave the former Alabama quarterback a passing grade on his physical, according to multiple league and team sources. The Dolphins are satisfied Tagovailoa is on schedule to a full recovery from the hip injury and ensuing surgery that derailed his 2019 season with the Crimson Tide. So Tagovailoa, who has a significant injury history that includes multiple other surgeries, has cleared a major hurdle with the Dolphins and their medical team. That means the Dolphins would absolutely pick Tagovailoa in the coming draft if medical history is the issue.

Multiple sources are telling me Tagovailoa is the favorite to be the Dolphins selection at No. 5.

Two people familiar with Miami’s general thinking say they don’t expect the Dolphins to trade up from No. 5 overall.

Multiple personnel people who hear from Dolphins people tell me the Dolphins seriously have debated not picking a quarterback at No. 5 overall… It’s a huge gamble that counts on that QB still being on the board later in the draft either when the Dolphins are scheduled to pick again (No. 18 overall) or when they can trade up to pick again.
NEW…Tua Tagovailoa’s medical status with Dolphins PLUS Thuney trade, Rosen status, more noteshttps://t.co/XvVPKtv1uH

— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) April 22, 2020

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. reports that the "[t]ide has turned" on the possibility of the Miami Dolphins selecting Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa.

Kiper notes that there's buzz a-plenty around Miami preferring Justin Herbert to Tagovailoa -- a consistent rumor these past few weeks that simply refuses to die -- but not so fast. While Kiper no longer believes that Miami should be considered the favorite to select Tua, he notes just a beat later that this could potentially all be a smokescreen. Should the Alabama gunslinger slide past Miami at No. 5, the Chargers could potentially cradle him into their waiting arms at No. 6. If he slides beyond that, things get really interesting.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Apr 22, 2020, 11:39 AM ET

If they've liked Tua all along, and their team has cleared him, I don't know why they wouldn't trade up to get him.  As a Lions' fan, I hope the Lions trade out of the pick, and really wish they could get the #26 pick. 

I don't think there's any way that Tua or Hebert slide out of the top 10, so the only way they'd be able to not pick a QB at 5 and then get one later is if they prefer Love.  But once Love is the top QB left on the board, the cost to move up will get very expensive, because there is NO WAY the Patriots or another team don't make a move for Love before pick 18 if the Dolphins don't take a QB at 5.

If the Dolphins don't take a QB at 5, this will go down as a colossal draft error (IMO) as the Dolphins will either get shut out from the top QBs, or they'll end up paying more to move up to secure a lesser QB then they would have needed to move up to 3 and get the guy they liked the most.

Tornacl said:
there is NO WAY the Patriots or another team don't make a move for Love before pick 18 if the Dolphins don't take a QB at 5.
Saying there is no way the Pats don't trade up essentially goes against everything Belichick has ever done in the draft, whether Brady is there or not. 

Saying there is no way the Pats don't trade up essentially goes against everything Belichick has ever done in the draft, whether Brady is there or not. 
That's why I said "or another team."  The point is, once there is only one more of the top 4 QBs left on the board (presumably Love, but could be Hebert or Tua) the price for that QB will go up significantly.  If the Dolphins don't take a QB at 5, then every team interested in that last QB will attempt to move ahead of the Dolphins. 

But I really believe this is all a smokescreen, and the Dolphins will trade up, or at the very least take a QB at 5.  BUT if they don't, I'm predicting they will not get one of the top 4 QBs with the 18th or 26th pick.  They will have to move to get one, or end up with one of other QBs (Hurts, Fromm, Eason).

I'll be absolutely shocked if Herbert gets drafted over Tua.  Tua is light years ahead of Herbert as a QB.  Unless teams have reliable info that his hip will never heal there is a very good chance he goes #3 via a trade up.

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa to the Jaguars has "gathered steam in recent days." 

Tagovailoa could fall to the Jaguars at No. 9, but with the No. 20 selection, as well, they also have the ammunition for a trade up if necessary. The 2020 draft's central mystery is whether the Dolphins will take Tagovailoa or Oregon's Justin Herbert at No. 5 overall. Tagovailoa has some of the most all-over-the-map pre-draft chatter in recent memory. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Apr 23, 2020, 2:31 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler projects Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa to the Los Angeles Chargers at sixth overall in his final mock draft. 

Mel Kiper Jr., Mike Renner, and now Brugler are all in agreement that Tagovailoa is very much in play for the Chargers rather than the Dolphins. With reports flying around that the Dolphins may actually be in play for an offensive tackle, the Chargers would be the next-best team to take on Tagovailoa. Better yet, at sixth overall, chances are a team would need to trade up to third or fourth overall to jump ahead for Tagovailoa, but that would take a hefty, hefty cost to pull off. The Chargers also make sense for Tagovailoa because they have veteran QB Tyrod Taylor on the roster, who can more than hold down the fort while Tagovailoa gets his feet under him in the league. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 23, 2020, 4:07 PM ET

Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner projects the Chargers to select Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa in Thursday's first round. 

With LSU's Joe Burrow due to be the first overall pick, Miami (5th) and the L.A. Chargers (6th) are the two teams to look at when it comes to addressing a need at quarterback. And in the case of the Chargers, not only does Renner project them to select Tagovailoa but he has them trading up in order to do so. Tagovailoa, who was recently cleared by doctors after undergoing hip surgery in November, is projected to go third overall, with L.A. making a deal with the Lions. "The Chargers were the laughing stock of the NFL for not being able to sell out their soccer stadium in L.A," Renner wrote. "They need something to energize their fan base quickly, and a personality like Tua at the QB position does that overnight."

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 23, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

Dolphins selected Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Two ankle surgeries and a dislocated hip arguably cost Tagovailoa (6’0/217) his spot as the No. 1 overall pick, but post-Combine medical scans have been relatively positive (although a redshirt rookie year can’t be ruled out completely). When healthy, Tagovailoa is a very accurate (65.7% career completion rate) and aggressive in-pocket passer who can also thread the needle while on the run. He finished second in Total QBR among FBS quarterbacks in each of his last two seasons, averaging 11.2 and 11.3 yards per attempt respectively. Alabama leaned on run-pass options to utilize Tagovailoa’s decision making and athletic ability, but he’ll need to regain his pre-surgery maneuverability to win in the same ways at the next level. His 22-2 career record and off-the-field charm make him easy to root for, but his injury history (coupled with an unknown recovery) makes him a boom-or-bust selection long-term. It remains to be seen if he'll be healthy enough to compete for a starting spot in Week 1, but clearly the Dolphins must've felt good enough with his medicals.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 23, 2020, 8:54 PM ET

TUA TAGOVAILOA QB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Dolphins signed No. 5 overall pick QB Tua Tagovailoa to a four-year, $30.275 million contract.

The deal is fully guaranteed and comes with a fifth-year team option, as is the case with all first-round picks. Two ankle surgeries and a dislocated hip arguably cost Tagovailoa (6’0/217) his spot as the No. 1 overall pick, but post-Combine medical scans have been relatively positive, although a redshirt rookie year can’t be ruled out completely. When healthy, Tagovailoa is a very accurate (65.7% career completion rate) and aggressive in-pocket passer who can also thread the needle while on the run. He finished second in Total QBR among FBS quarterbacks in each of his last two seasons, averaging 11.2 and 11.3 yards per attempt respectively. Alabama leaned on run-pass options to utilize Tagovailoa’s decision making and athletic ability, but he’ll need to regain his pre-surgery maneuverability to win in the same ways at the next level. His 22-2 career record and off-the-field charm make him easy to root for, but his injury history (coupled with an unknown recovery) makes him a boom-or-bust selection long-term. It remains to be seen if he'll be healthy enough to compete for a starting spot in Week 1, but clearly the Dolphins must've felt good enough with his medicals.

May 11, 2020, 1:51 PM ET

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins are not opposed to playing No. 5 overall pick Tua Tagovailoa as a rookie.

Jackson writes that while it’s "likely" Ryan Fitzpatrick will begin the season as the starter, the Dolphins are open to playing Tua if he earns the opportunity at any point this year. With five years of experience with OC Chan Gailey and familiarity with the cast of supporting players around him, though, it's hard to imagine Fitzpatrick on the bench for the team's season opener in New England. The fact that Tagovailoa can't do any on-field work with Miami's coaching staff because of the lack of an offseason program is an uphill battle that could trickle into the regular season.

SOURCE: The Miami Herald

May 26, 2020, 8:21 AM ET

Opposing NFL coach suggests Dolphins need to play Tagovailoa. And what Tua has been up to

A six-pack of Tua Tagovailoa notes on a Friday:

▪ The Miami Dolphins have not publicly revealed whether they would like to play their rookie quarterback this season.

But another NFL coach, curiously, has weighed in on the topic.

Asked by an Alabama radio station whether he would play Tagovailoa or a veteran quarterback, Tampa Bay coach Bruce Arians didn’t mince words.

“I think it all depends on his health; if he’s healthy I’m playing him,” Arians told 100.9 FM in Alabama. “I don’t think you learn anything holding a clipboard. You know, I had Peyton Manning his first year, Andrew Luck his first year, Ben [Roethlisberger] was one of those guys that went in by accident because Tommy Maddox got hurt. You miss all the practice reps, you miss the game reps. I don’t know what you learn holding a clipboard watching.”

Tagovailoa sustained a serious hip injury in a game last November, but both Tagovailoa and doctors have insisted he will be able to play this season.

One person who spoke to the Dolphins’ front office came away with the impression that while it’s likely Ryan Fitzpatrick will begin the season as the starter, Miami isn’t opposed to playing Tagovailoa as a rookie if he earns the opportunity at some point this season.

Coach Brian Flores said Thursday that the Dolphins’ doctors haven’t been able to examine Tagovailoa since the team drafted him because of the NFL’s COVID-19 restrictions. But before the draft, Dolphins doctors signed off on Tagovailoa’s health.

▪ What has Tagovailoa been up to? Working out in Birmingham, Alabama, and taking part in online classroom sessions with Dolphins coaches, including offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and quarterbacks coach Robby Brown.

“I want to be able to play,” Tagovailoa said during last week’s video game session with New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley, part of a campaign to promote small businesses. 

“We’ve been doing Zoom meetings as a team, being able to get with my position coach, my offensive coordinator, sitting down with him, getting into the playbook. I’ve been fortunate to have a pretty good set-up here. The Dolphins sent over some equipment so I can work out and I also have rehab in Birmingham.”

▪ Among analysts with national forums, NFL Films’ Greg Cosell and NBC’s Chris Simms have expressed more non-health-related concerns about Tagovailoa than others.

Here was Cosell’s concern conveyed in a chat with Rich Eisen: “I like Tua, but he’s a certain kind of quarterback, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I did not see him as transcendent. I saw him as a very efficient system quarterback. If he’s used that way, which is the way I believe he should be used, I believe he can be very effective. I don’t view his talent as transcendent.”

But why? 

“I don’t view him as having the same level of talent as Joe Burrow,” Cosell said. “Both don’t have particularly great arms. Tua is not a power thrower; he’s a rhythm thrower. When the timing is there and the back foot comes out, he’s really, really good. He has a strong tendency to climb the pocket when there’s no pocket. He moves himself into pressure, creates his own pressure. There are some things he needs to clean up. My guess is the Dolphins will put him in the right circumstance, and he will play sooner rather than later.”

▪ Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin, who recruited Tagovailoa to Alabama, told ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt that when he went to Hawaii to recruit him “in spring training, I was just blown away. He was so accurate with the ball. He didn’t miss anything, especially deep ball accuracy. I brought back my report to coach [Nick] Saban.”

Kiffin said Saban likes to know “who are [recruits] most likely to be like over the years that we’ve seen. I came back and said this guy reminds me of Steve Young, left-hander, similar size, similar movement around the pocket. Very smooth thrower. Someone is going to get a great player.

“I think [Saban] said, ‘Let’s not crown this guy Steve Young yet — he’s still in only high school.”

Saban, by that point, hadn’t been to Hawaii to see Tagovailoa.

Kiffin said “then he came out to Tuscaloosa and threw out there and coach [Saban] was blown away. [Saban] was very high on him, too.”

▪ Auburn defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff shared with me his experience twice facing Tagovailoa as an opposing defensive coach:

“His decision-making and his release of the football are so fast; he can go through his progressions and still be a pinpoint passer. When you play a guy that can fake to his right and then throw pinpoint to his left, that’s hard to defend. He has a knack for extending plays with his feet and keeping his eyes downfield. When defensive backs [leave their receiver to chase Tua], he will make you pay.”

▪ Why didn’t Detroit take Tagovailoa at No. 3 so it could get something in return from Miami for him? Lions general manager Bob Quinn recently answered that question on a Detroit radio station.

“I would say much easier said than done,” Quinn said, via the Detroit News. “How do I know Tua was [Miami’s] guy? How do I know they didn’t really want an offensive tackle, which they had talked a lot about. We don’t trust each other as GMs. I worked with [Dolphins general manager] Chris Grier for a year. 

“My first year in the league, Chris was in New England in 2000. So I know Chris. Ultimately, like you said, it’s a game of poker. On draft weekend, I take no one’s word. I couldn’t sit there and truthfully, for the Lions organization, consider something like that because you never know what’s going to happen.”

Tua Tagovailoa said he's "ready to go" in an interview with USA Today.

Tagovailoa's recovery has been reported ahead of schedule on multiple occasions and the quarterback himself is now confirming this. The possibility of him taking the field as a rookie is looking increasingly likely. Ryan Fitzpatrick is still the favorite to start Week 1 but it wouldn't be surprising for Tagovailoa to get starts in the first half of the year. Fitzpatrick led the Dolphins to finish 13th in passing yards and 22nd in passing touchdowns last year.

SOURCE: USA Today

Jul 23, 2020, 6:19 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread