Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Long Ball Larry

Dynasty: QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

2 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Well if ARI got a second for Rosen I am not putting it out of question the same could be had for Haskins.

1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

I agree that he showed more, just not sure they would have the leverage to get a first. Offering him in a trade would be showing their hand and I think the end result would be a second and maybe a later pick. Although Haskins showed more than Rosen he wasn’t phenomenal by any means.

I really don't think they draft a QB or try to trade Haskins. But if they did, I'd definitely rank Haskins in the same tier as Herbert, who will probably be a top 10 pick.

I get some people don't like Haskins but I'll disagree and say he's absolutely worth a mid first. 

Hypothetically, the skins draft tua. I think we'd all agree that at least 4 teams - dolphins, colts, chargers, Bucs, Jaguars, and possibly others (pats? Titans? Saints? Panthers?) Will have some interest in a young QB.  They could get solid value for him. 

But I'll be really surprised if they take a QB instead of young (unless the Bengals take Young, then all bets are off)

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

I really don't think they draft a QB or try to trade Haskins. But if they did, I'd definitely rank Haskins in the same tier as Herbert, who will probably be a top 10 pick.

I get some people don't like Haskins but I'll disagree and say he's absolutely worth a mid first. 

Hypothetically, the skins draft tua. I think we'd all agree that at least 4 teams - dolphins, colts, chargers, Bucs, Jaguars, and possibly others (pats? Titans? Saints? Panthers?) Will have some interest in a young QB.  They could get solid value for him. 

But I'll be really surprised if they take a QB instead of young (unless the Bengals take Young, then all bets are off)

I don't disagree, they should stick with Haskins at this point and take Young. But it is the Redskins so who knows.

I'd like to see Washington one-up the Cardinals. Draft Tua. Keep Haskins. Start Haskins this year. In a year or two they can trade whichever one is worse.

Having a good QB is important. It can be worth taking multiple shots at the position at the same time. Perhaps Washington understands this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ZWK said:

I'd like to see Washington one-up the Cardinals. Draft Tua. Keep Haskins. Start Haskins this year. In a year or two they can trade whichever one is worse.

Having a good QB is important. It can be worth taking multiple shots at the position at the same time. Perhaps Washington understands this.

Im a big believer in drafting QBs until you get it right.....If Tua grades that high then this makes sense....Tua will need a yr to get healthy anyway....Haskins either become the man and deal Tua as a chip or you cut bail with Haskins and you dont have to waste another year/high pick on a QB....would be tough to pass on Chase especially with Rivera a defensive guy but I would give them credit if they take this road....

I hope the Skins draft Chase unless they get a king's ransom for the pick. I think you'd have to be in a position of having very little holes in your roster to afford to spend 2 top picks on QBs, and the Skins need to improve in too many other areas. 

• Like 1

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passes along that among insiders he spoke with, "everyone" expects the Miami Dolphins to draft Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa on Day 1.

"It's either the worst-kept secret in league history or the best smoke screen ever," Miller writes. We definitely lean toward the former, the "worst-kept secret" one. Not only do the Dolphins possess the No. 5 pick and have an extreme need for a franchise quarterback to build around (it would have been nice if they actually tried to see what they had with Josh Rosen, but that's a story for another day), Miami also possesses plenty of draft capital if they feel the need to move up in order to avoid being jumped for the Alabama signal-caller.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Feb 12, 2020, 12:35 PM ET

4 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

As one of the longest suffering lion fans, I hope Miami really believes this an trades up. Either give Detroit extra picks, or do the same for Washington and allow Chase Young to fall to the Lions..

As a fellow long suffering Lions fan, this is my dream scenario:

1. Bengals take Burrow

2. Redskins take Young.  (I would love for the Lions to get him, but I think they would be better in the long run if the rest of this played out as below.)

3. Dolphins feel the need to go big to get Tua, trading at least the #5 and the #26 to the Lions.

4. Panthers decide they really like Hebert, and decide to pay to leapfrog the Chargers, giving the #7 and maybe the #38 pick plus some more.  

5. Lions draft at #7 and take one of Okudah, Derrick Brown, or Isiah Simmons.

I would love for the Lions to get an offer similar to the one the Redskins gave up to draft Griffin.  I think they should get a lot more than the Bears gave up to get Trubisky, because Tua is a lot more highly regarded than Trubisky ever was.  In this scenario (which should be entirely possible) the Lions could potentially trade down, get AT LEAST another 1st and another 2nd, and still probably have a choice of at least one and possibly two of the players they should be considering at the #3 spot.  Every mock seems convinced that the Giants are going to select OL, and if that is true, in this scenario, that would mean 3 QBs, Young, and an OL would go in the top 5, meaning two of Okudah, Brown, and Simmons would be there at 7.

Of course, the biggest unlikely part of the scenario above is expecting the Lions to do the smart thing, not once, but 3 times (two trades and then pick the right guy).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faust said:

Talk about burying the lede. Seventy percent of the questioners asked about Brady or Rivers coming in to lead a team vs. Tua or Burrow coming in to lead a team wanted to focus on Burrow and how good he was. 

44 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Tua is gonna be a bust. 

Based on?

On 2/12/2020 at 2:55 AM, ZWK said:

100% agree.

Its always puzzling to me, that everyone realizes QB is the most important position on a team(BY FAR!) but teams will constantly stick with a maybe, over taking another shot on a better prospect, just because they might already have a guy. 

If Tua is better than Haskins, even if the difference is just say a C+ to a B,  he'll help the team more than any non-QB could. Even if Chase Young becomes another Khalil Mack, he'll help the team less than a slight QB upgrade.

I'm not saying every team should take a QB, unless they have a franchise guy, but when you pick #2 and have a franchise guy staring right at you, that would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Stud.  Hopefully  he doesn't  end up on a terrible team like Miami 

Edited by need2know

On 2/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, King of the Jungle said:

I agree that he showed more, just not sure they would have the leverage to get a first. Offering him in a trade would be showing their hand and I think the end result would be a second and maybe a later pick. Although Haskins showed more than Rosen he wasn’t phenomenal by any means.

Well any trade generally involves one side offering someone, it really comes down to what the market is.

11 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Tua is gonna be a bust. 

Injury aside this statement holds no substance.

11 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Based on?

I just don't think he stays healthy. He is going to be drafted really high, and that injury of his reminds me so much of the Bo Jackson situation. I know times are different now, and medical advances should take some of that fear away, but the hip joints are so vital in everything an athlete does.

And there is just something else about him I can't quite put my finger on. Just a feeling, I guess.

[Miami Herald] Dolphins lukewarm on Tua Tagovailoa, like Justin Herbert

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article240357851.html

In his mock draft released on Tuesday, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected the Detroit Lions to select Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 3 pick.

Tagovailoa almost uniformly has landed with the Dolphins at No. 5 in mock drafts -- Bleacher Report's Matt Miller earlier this month passed along that "everyone" he has spoken with in the know sees Tua to Miami -- but Kiper bucks the trend, here. Speculates the longtime ESPN draft evaluator, "[Matthew] Stafford's contract is extremely tough to trade in 2020 -- the team could have up to a $32 million dead-cap hit -- but what if Detroit likes Tagovailoa so much that it keeps Stafford on the roster for another year?" He also notes that a trade up to No. 3 by a QB-needy team could also very much be in play (his mock itself is a static one which does not project trades).

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Feb 18, 2020, 1:26 PM ET

On 2/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

he gets destroyed when he gets tackled

Agreed...but weighing the idea of teaching him how to bail earlier vs his potentially superstar arm will be too much to pass up.

Charles Robinson✔@CharlesRobinson

#NFLCombine key measurements thread…

57. #Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa

Height: 6-0
Weight: 217
Hand: 10 (left), 9 7/8 (right)
Arm: 30 4/8
Wingspan: 75 2/8

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (hip) will hold a personal pro day on April 9.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) will not take part in tests at the NFL Scouting Combine this week (though he will go through medicals etc), but told reporters that he plans on going through a full workout come early April. He additionally said that he expects full medical clearance March 9. Earlier this month, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Tua's CT scan on his hip was "as positive as possible" while noting that he showed good range of motion. Barring any red flags in medical checks, Tua is shaping up as a strong possibility to land as a top-five selection in April.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 10:51 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa received overwhelmingly positive reports on his dislocated hip from teams who examined him.

Specifically, Tagovailoa's MRIs were as clean as hoped, the fracture is healed, and there is no loss of blood flow. It's great news for the former Bama QB, who expects to get fully cleared from his doctors in early March. There are a number of teams at the top of the draft that could be interested in acquiring Tagovailoa's services, most notably the Dolphins at pick No. 5.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 26, 2020, 9:12 AM ET

Tua Tagovailoa combine MRIs on hip come back clean

Edited by Faust

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said on Thursday that he would take Tua Tagovailoa over Joe Burrow if guaranteed the full health of both for 10 years.

Neither Tagovailoa (6'1/218) nor Burrow will participate in any drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, albeit for different reasons. Burrow is projected by many to be the top overall pick, so there's little reason for him to do so. As for Tagovailoa, while he's received positive reports regarding the status of his hip he's still yet to be fully cleared (that should happen in early March). That makes the former Alabama quarterback's personal Pro Day on April 9 a huge event, not just for him but the other players that could be top-5 picks in the draft. "Tagovailoa has the chance to be absolutely special if he can stay healthy," McShay said on Thursday. "He is what the NFL is looking for today. A playmaker, a difference-maker, someone who can extend plays."

SOURCE: Todd McShay on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 1:14 PM ET

On 2/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, ZWK said:

From the Sun Sentinel, Here’s why Dolphins should keep an eye on Tua-to-Redskins talk ahead of NFL draft:

The Redskins told Tagovailoa they want to bring him to Washington to compete with second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins during their meeting at the NFL combine, a source told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

“They felt like Dwayne was not the guy right now,” the source said. “They want to bring in Tua, just get it going and compete.”

Did anyone see the breakdown PFF did of their WAR stat in relation to the Tua/Washington potential draft pick? Very interesting stuff, right down to them coming out on the right side of expected WAR even if they were to keep both Tua and Haskins.  

I don't believe Tua to Washington for a second.

Okay, just for one second because they're as bad of the field as they are on. Bit this is an obvious smoke screen.

3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I don't believe Tua to Washington for a second.

Okay, just for one second because they're as bad of the field as they are on. Bit this is an obvious smoke screen.

Then again. Which QB would you prefer Tua or Haskins for the next decade leading your team? I believe they are considering this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

Then again. Which QB would you prefer Tua or Haskins for the next decade leading your team? I believe they are considering this

I think the Lions are in play, too. I think they're all in play, or like Andy said, they're all really good at smokescreens. We almost know the Giants aren't, but that's about it until you hit Arizona at eight. 

Redskins appear to be finally playing the game correctly, giving indications that they are interested as a means of garnering trade interest.  I have said all along that I think the Redskins trade out and the Loins get Chase Young, although there is a scenario where they can also trade back if some desperate team misses out on Tua and doesn't want to risk missing out on Herbert.

1 hour ago, tangfoot said:

Redskins appear to be finally playing the game correctly, giving indications that they are interested as a means of garnering trade interest.  I have said all along that I think the Redskins trade out and the Loins get Chase Young, although there is a scenario where they can also trade back if some desperate team misses out on Tua and doesn't want to risk missing out on Herbert.

Would love the Lions to get Young, or trade back and get Simmons.

• Like 2

They'd have to get a haul for the pick. 

Young has HOF caliber talent. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

They'd have to get a haul for the pick. 

Young has HOF caliber talent. 

Redskins don't "need" him, and the current staff appears to not like Haskins very much.  Being able to come in and set up the team in your own image was likely one of the conditions upon which Rivera agreed to coach here.

Edited by tangfoot

Redskins don't "need" him, and the current staff appears to not like Haskins very much.  Being able to come in and set up the team in your own image was likely one of the conditions upon which Rivera agreed to coach here.

If the skins don't like haskins, they'll take tua.  I don't blame them for taking tua, but trading out of the 2 would be a mistake unless they get a haul. 

Suffice it to say I don't buy these lines but can see them talking it up, trying to get offers.

2 hours ago, Foosball God said:

Would love the Lions to get Young, or trade back and get Simmons.

That's about where I'm at now. Either way a solid plug on defense.