What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question about the Russian information campaign (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
We know the was\is one. We know some one (s) writes the stuff, an army of bots spread it, etc.

Do any of you think there are plants all over forums and social media actively waging this information war? I had always dismissed that possibility as it would require too many actual people, but maybe. When I read certain posts here and elsewhere I legitimately wonder if they're maybe Russian plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Друг, привет и приветствие. Надеюсь, у вашей фантастической футбольной команды все хорошо. Хороший петух. Пожалуйста, дружите с вами и другими единомышленниками американских братьев. Трамп невинен и большой друг для всех людей. Бог благословил.

Post theme music: https://youtu.be/U06jlgpMtQs

It’s true.  I am going to coordinate so many attacks on Democrats and Trump’s opponents.  I will personally destroy them.  By Putin’s hand, I will personally rig the 2020 election for Donald Trump.  

Why?  Because they’re good and I’m bad, but on a more fundamental level, because I can.  

The transnational crime syndicate gets to lie with impunity. Or else. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/14/facebook-zuckerberg-conservatives-private-meetings-046663

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been hosting informal talks and small, off-the-record dinners with conservative journalists, commentators and at least one Republican lawmaker in recent months to discuss issues like free speech and discuss partnerships.

The dinners, which began in July, are part of Zuckerberg’s broader effort to cultivate friends on the right amid outrage by President Donald Trump and his allies over alleged “bias” against conservatives at Facebook and other major social media companies. "I’m under no illusions that he’s a conservative but I think he does care about some of our concerns,” said one person familiar with the gatherings, which multiple sources have confirmed.

News of the outreach is likely to further fuel suspicions on the left that Zuckerberg is trying to appease the White House and stay out of Trump’s crosshairs. The president threatened to sue Facebook and Google in June and has in the past pressured the Justice Department to take action against his perceived foes.

“The discussion in Silicon Valley is that Zuckerberg is very concerned about the Justice Department, under Bill Barr, bringing an enforcement action to break up the company,” said one cybersecurity researcher and former government official based in Silicon Valley. “So the fear is that Zuckerberg is trying to appease the Trump administration by not cracking down on right-wing propaganda.”

Facebook has been criticized in recent days, including by Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren, for its ad policy, which exempts politicians from third-party fact-checking and arguably facilitates the spread of disinformation.

I never got into Facebook, but doesn't it work something like this?  Fake political Facebook account gets created and connects with a real political site or FB group.  Fake Ads gets posted and the damage starts.  Only takes one person to like, comments or repost it and the spread begins.  Their friends see it.  Their friends friends see it.   Next thing you know, grandpa is buying your kids doomsday survivor kits and talking about the cold war against the evil democrats.  

I never got into Facebook, but doesn't it work something like this?  Fake political Facebook account gets created and connects with a real political site or FB group.  Fake Ads gets posted and the damage starts.  Only takes one person to like, comments or repost it and the spread begins.  Their friends see it.  Their friends friends see it.   Next thing you know, grandpa is buying your kids doomsday survivor kits and talking about the cold war against the evil democrats.  
more or less, but some of the political sites and FB groups themselves are fake from the get go

The Alliance for Securing Democracy Launches Hamilton 2.0 Dashboard

September 4, 2019

New interactive tool tracks official Russian messaging and information manipulation

WASHINGTON, DC.– The Alliance for Securing Democracy at the German Marshall Fund of the United States today launched Hamilton 2.0, a new dashboard tracking Russian government-backed information operations online and on state-sponsored broadcast television. The interactive, publicly accessible dashboard captures content from more than 140 diplomatic and media accounts on Twitter, four state-sponsored news websites, RT’s television news broadcasts, and RT America and RT UK’s YouTube channels.

The new dashboard is live now and can be accessed here: https://securingdemocracy.gmfus.org/hamilton-dashboard

“The idea of Russian active measures is to win through the force of politics, not the politics of force,” said ASD’s non-resident fellow Clint Watts. “Hamilton 2.0 allows us to identify how the Russian government seek to divide us – the themes and narratives they push and the audiences they target. By focusing Hamilton 2.0 on tracking official Russian accounts across platforms, we’re going straight to the source of information manipulation.”

Hamilton 2.0 is the second iteration of ASD’s Hamilton 68 dashboard, which was retired at the end of 2018. The new interface enables reporters, researchers and interested citizens to identify the narratives Russia’s government seeks to promote in the United States and abroad – providing a big picture look at its strategic attempts to manipulate information around its geopolitical interests.

“Hamilton 2.0 enables analysis that goes beyond the daily churn of the news cycle and studies long-term strategies employed by official Russian diplomatic and state-backed media accounts,” said ASD’s disinformation fellow Bret Schafer. “For example, a review of Hamilton 2.0’s captured data provides clear evidence of Russia’s strategic decision to position itself as China’s cheerleader in the West by presenting pro-Beijing positions on the ongoing Hong Kong protests, trade war, and controversy over Huawei. The focus on long-term trends over bot networks amplifying the most divisive story of the day, allows researchers, reporters and interested citizens to better understand the Kremlin’s strategic messaging.”

Among other features, the tool will rank the most active accounts in the data set, most popular tweets and hashtags, most discussed topics and countries, most shared articles on Facebook, and more. Hamilton 2.0 also provides summaries of daily video news segments from RT’s English television broadcasts, and archives RT America and RT UK videos posted to YouTube. Hamilton 2.0 was developed in partnership with DeBunk.eu, VidRover, and Atlas Public Policy.

I'm sure there's plenty of misinformation on sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc from pretty much all the major players... Russia, China, Israel, EU countries, Iran and of course... US.

What worries me more is weaponizing it to squash legitimate policy concerns, like being anti-war for example. 

There was an incredible newspaper article written about a year ago or so.  I think WaPo, but can't remember.  Anyway, they profiled a guy and his wife who are making a killing writing Facebook pages containing fake news articles attacking Democrats/Hillary.  Just making things up out of thin air, and posting them as if they were news.  Conservative grandmas in Texas, Florida, Virginia, etc., are eating it up.  Even when a reporter points out that they are made up stories, the readers don't believe them. 

The couple justifies this behavior by saying it's just satire.  But . . . I don't know, man. 

There was an incredible newspaper article written about a year ago or so.  I think WaPo, but can't remember.  Anyway, they profiled a guy and his wife who are making a killing writing Facebook pages containing fake news articles attacking Democrats/Hillary.  Just making things up out of thin air, and posting them as if they were news.  Conservative grandmas in Texas, Florida, Virginia, etc., are eating it up.  Even when a reporter points out that they are made up stories, the readers don't believe them. 

The couple justifies this behavior by saying it's just satire.  But . . . I don't know, man. 
This one?

More likely people see things on larger sites and bring the thought here.
Satire sites, as Sweet J pointed out, are also a problem. I wonder if some of the satire sites are , in fact,  from foreign interests understanding that some people will still believe it. If someone sees the article directly  on the site, most(hopefully)  will understand it is satire. if they see the headline posted in their Facebook feed, more fish will be caught . I had a friend post something in disgust about Mike Pence that was from The Onion. She's not ignorant, but may suffer from anti-Pence bias-- maybe making her an easy mark!

TheMagus said:
Sites like this? Unlikely.

Reddit and 4chan? Absolutely.
Right, this has way too small of a reach. The sad part is the fake news propaganda put out on Twitter has influenced the President. I’m still not sure what level he is in on it vs being a mark, but he’s been fully hooked in by crazy propaganda. How much do people still think he’s a puppeteer vs a puppet? 

Yes there are. And they went running to the mods to stop us from pointing out the possibility that they were. Another mistake in the interest of "fairness."

Users who are viewing this thread