What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney World in February (now maybe Universal) (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
My wife's cousin is getting married in February and we're all going down to Orlando (where he lives) for the wedding.  We'll probably stay extra days and there's talk of a bunch of the family going to Disney World for a day.  Now, I've been to Disneyland.  I was probably 11 years old.  Loved it.  And my daughter, who will be 16, is excited to go.  She said she feels like she's probably too old for it, but doesn't care because she always wanted to go as a kid.  News to us.

Anyway, my wife and I still love rides.  We usually go to a park every year and ride all of the roller coasters.  I'm like a big kid at heart.  But I'm wondering if DW has grown up rides.  I know there's things like Space Mountain, which I loved as a kid.  But I read that the maximum speed for SM was 27mph.  It's just that you're in the dark so it seems faster.  Whatever.  I still thought it was awesome.  But are there other 'adult' rides?  I tried to say maybe we should do Universal, but daughter is dead set on going to Disney.  Which is fine.  It's about her not me.  Right, Dentist?  

Anyway, will the adults have fun at DW?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been 20 years, but from my experience Universal >> Disney World

Both are fine and you'll have a good time Im sure. 

If you are dead set on Magic Kingdom, I would consider Seven Dwarves, Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain railroad to be the other adult rides. Others like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still fun. Animal kingdom may have the best two adult rides there with Avatar and Everest but hard to pass up Magic Kingdom for one day. There’s a huge thread here with a ton of info. Make sure you get fast passes!  Highly recommend Be Our Guest for a meal

The last time I went I ate a tab of lsd for breakfast, which made for a pretty good adult day, but I didn't have any kids with me.  I don't think we made it on any rides.  The monorail trip into the park was about the most I could handle that day.

What CN said.

My only comment is if you only go for a day make sure you drastically limit what you try to do.  Basically ever park is a multi-day thing.  If you’ve never been to the resort and you only have one day you just need to figure out what is most important. It’s a min 30-60 minute effort to get between parks if you take in to account everything.

Universal is better than Disney for adults, but there is plenty of fun stuff to do at Disney for adults as well.

The other Disney parks are going to be better than Magic Kingdom as an adult, but even it is still decently fun.

Universal is better than Disney for adults, but there is plenty of fun stuff to do at Disney for adults as well.

The other Disney parks are going to be better than Magic Kingdom as an adult, but even it is still decently fun.
I completely disagree with this - I’ve been underwhelmed with Universal after hearing this very thing from people for years.  The only thing that makes it even close is if you are an adult that is a huge Harry Potter fan and/or just don’t like Disney stuff.  I expected a ton of roller coasters but instead got a bunch of 4D rides.  But as with most things YMMV.

My wife's cousin is getting married in February and we're all going down to Orlando (where he lives) for the wedding.  We'll probably stay extra days and there's talk of a bunch of the family going to Disney World for a day.  Now, I've been to Disneyland.  I was probably 11 years old.  Loved it.  And my daughter, who will be 16, is excited to go.  She said she feels like she's probably too old for it, but doesn't care because she always wanted to go as a kid.  News to us.

Anyway, my wife and I still love rides.  We usually go to a park every year and ride all of the roller coasters.  I'm like a big kid at heart.  But I'm wondering if DW has grown up rides.  I know there's things like Space Mountain, which I loved as a kid.  But I read that the maximum speed for SM was 27mph.  It's just that you're in the dark so it seems faster.  Whatever.  I still thought it was awesome.  But are there other 'adult' rides?  I tried to say maybe we should do Universal, but daughter is dead set on going to Disney.  Which is fine.  It's about her not me.  Right, Dentist?  

Anyway, will the adults have fun at DW?
If the Sheik is going to WDW, I'm volunteering as their personal guide. Oh the stories! 

Its tough now there, if you want pure thrill rides, Universal is the place to be (uh oh, just saw @AAABatteries post as I type this). As big as a Disney fan boy as I am, we have been giving more and more time to Universal on each trip. With the Harry Potter stuff alone, you can make a full day of it there easy. Plus, if you want to drop a few bucks, they have a thing called express pass which lets you on every ride with almost no wait. You can knock out both parks in record time and really maximize your day. 

If you want to go to WDW and still want a 'thrill' experience, its tough to say one park b/c they all have at least 1 really cool thrill ride. I say this holding my breath, but Studios is prob your best bet. They have the new star wars stuff, tower of terror and Rockin Roller Coaster—But you'll miss the real 'Disney' experience and you would prob run through the whole place by mid-day.

Otherwise Magic Kingdom will give you your best overall Disney experience.  They have mild thrill—Big Thunder, Splash and Space Mtn—plus some really fun experiences. But if your daughter has never been to WDW, and is hinting that she wanted to, I would say you kind of have to go to MK. All girls can let their princess flag fly there and be a kid again. Plus for her the social media photo opportunities are endless. Lastly, they have the best night time fireworks of all he parks, so you would be doing the trip a disservice if you did not get some ice cream and watch those to close out the day.

As for the others: Epcot will be a ghost town b/c of a full rennovation, so avoid there. And while I love animal kingdom, its not the go-to park if you are only there for 1 day

As others have said, since first trip for daughter, I think have to do Magic Kingdom, even if the most thrilling rides are not there.  There's enough there for moderate thrills, but I think adults will have plenty of fun.  Some stuff she may be a bit too old for -- like It's A Small World or Peter Pan -- but that kind of stuff is so well-known and experienced, it can be worth doing just to say that have done it.

Don’t get me wrong - we had a great time at Universal - I was just underwhelmed thinking I was going to be riding a bunch of roller coasters.  It’s probably as much to do with my expectations as the parks.  Me and the kids really liked all the Harry Potter stuff but if you aren’t a fan I could see it being meh.

If someone told me they only had one day at DW and to plan and agenda I think I would have to go with half a day at Magic Kingdom and half a day at EPCOT.  Use the monorail between the two.  And MK may be my least favorite park but it’s iconic.

AAABatteries said:
I completely disagree with this - I’ve been underwhelmed with Universal after hearing this very thing from people for years.  The only thing that makes it even close is if you are an adult that is a huge Harry Potter fan and/or just don’t like Disney stuff.  I expected a ton of roller coasters but instead got a bunch of 4D rides.  But as with most things YMMV.
Um the other universal park has all the roller coasters :)

Disney is just awful

Disney MK is great plenty to do as an adult.  Another plus is your going in Feb. weather should be pleasant you won't bake in the sun and should be less crowded.

Don Quixote said:
As others have said, since first trip for daughter, I think have to do Magic Kingdom, even if the most thrilling rides are not there.  There's enough there for moderate thrills, but I think adults will have plenty of fun.  Some stuff she may be a bit too old for -- like It's A Small World or Peter Pan -- but that kind of stuff is so well-known and experienced, it can be worth doing just to say that have done it.
Holy crap.  I'm so uninformed.  What are the 4 Disney parks?  I thought it was all one big park.  

comfortably numb said:
Hey Otis, there is a 894 page thread on Disney. 
Yes.  Sifting through a thousand page thread for some relevant information to me is nice and simple.  Why didn't I think of that first?

Holy crap.  I'm so uninformed.  What are the 4 Disney parks?  I thought it was all one big park.  
Magic kingdom

epcot 

Hollywood studios

animal kingdom 

All are significantly different. MK is more for the kids/adults who want to relive childhood but it’s an American classic and has 4-5 really fun rides. If you can only go to one I think that’s it. 

Epcot has a few good rides but it’s now the park for adults to get drunk. Lots of walking and lots of great alcohol and food choices. Fun place to just hang if you are with your wife or whatever. 

Hollywood is now basically Star Wars land but it has a few other coasters and fun rides. Themed like 1930s Hollywood when you walk in. Cool place. 

Animal Kingdom is a zoo. Like a literal zoo. We’ve found we like going there a lot but it’s a hard #4 if you are going to Disney for only one day.   

Yes.  Sifting through a thousand page thread for some relevant information to me is nice and simple.  Why didn't I think of that first?
I suggest posting in there - just ask as many questions as you want.  Nobody in there will tell you to RTFM.  Very knowledgeable folks that are happy to help - not to mention keeping it in one thread allows for others to get the most from it.  Just my 2 cents.

oh this is your first time?  Good Luck... :)

Try not to stress. If you are going for just one day you wont be abe to do everything.  There are so many ways to "do Disney"

Our last trip was right in the middle of the fast pass conversion stuff. It was a PIA.   But ultimately we managed to get everything.   We also dont go during peak times.  We didnt plan meals or anything just went to the park and winged it and it was so enjoyable.   

Also if you are going during presidents weekends - it will be crowded

oh this is your first time?  Good Luck... :)

Try not to stress. If you are going for just one day you wont be abe to do everything.  There are so many ways to "do Disney"

Our last trip was right in the middle of the fast pass conversion stuff. It was a PIA.   But ultimately we managed to get everything.   We also dont go during peak times.  We didnt plan meals or anything just went to the park and winged it and it was so enjoyable.   

Also if you are going during presidents weekends - it will be crowded
I think we'd be going on like the 8th or 9th.  No official plans yet.  And as for trying to do everything, I can honestly say I don't even know what there is.  :lol:   Now, the cousin who's getting married is a big fan of DW.  So I'm sure he'll be doing the planning and everything.  I'm along for the ride.  In fact, my wife and daughter really have no expectations either.  Kind of one of those things where we'll be happy with however it turns out.  

I was bummed to hear that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is no longer a ride.  As a kid, I loved that.  The train lights bearing down on you.  So cool as a kid.  I remember Pirates and Haunted Mansion were two rides I loved, too.  

Was thinking about maybe going and checking out Sea World, too.  Went to the one in San Diego as a kid (that same trip) and loved it.  Not sure if it's still cool now that PETA has ruined the Shamu experience.  Anyone have any opinions on whether SW is worth doing?  I see they have actual coasters there, which was surprising.

Was thinking about maybe going and checking out Sea World, too.  Went to the one in San Diego as a kid (that same trip) and loved it.  Not sure if it's still cool now that PETA has ruined the Shamu experience.  Anyone have any opinions on whether SW is worth doing?  I see they have actual coasters there, which was surprising.
I'll just throw this out there because muddying the waters is always more fun than clarifying them.  If you are seriously considering Sea World and you really like roller coasters and that's the speed of your group, I'd recommend a two day ticket between Sea World and Busch Gardens in Tampa....Tampa's only about 90 minutes away.  You'll have the coasters at Sea World (and all their shows) plus all the coasters at Busch Gardens.  

I'll just throw this out there because muddying the waters is always more fun than clarifying them.  If you are seriously considering Sea World and you really like roller coasters and that's the speed of your group, I'd recommend a two day ticket between Sea World and Busch Gardens in Tampa....Tampa's only about 90 minutes away.  You'll have the coasters at Sea World (and all their shows) plus all the coasters at Busch Gardens.  
Appreciate the advice.  I will say that the thought of going to Sea World wasn't for the coasters.  It wasn't until I looked it up online I even realized they had rides.  I just remember going to SW as a kid and it being this magical place.  I was young, so there's that.  But it just seemed like a cool place.  Rides would be a bonus.  But is SW (not the rides part) worth it?  

Appreciate the advice.  I will say that the thought of going to Sea World wasn't for the coasters.  It wasn't until I looked it up online I even realized they had rides.  I just remember going to SW as a kid and it being this magical place.  I was young, so there's that.  But it just seemed like a cool place.  Rides would be a bonus.  But is SW (not the rides part) worth it?  
Our kids are 12,7,2 so it works for us.  It gives us (parents) a break to sit and watch some of the shows and the kids are entertained.  It's not nearly as crowded and it's definitely less intense than any of the Disney Parks.  Same thing for Busch Gardens...and they will also give you a meal plan that is pretty unbeatable.  I think it's like an extra $30-$40 per ticket, but what they allow you to get is absurd.  You can eat full service meals every hour if you choose and I think it's buy one / get one on snacks sodas at the stands etc.  You're going to spend that on a single meal anyway.

If you're a Lego nut, LegoLand isn't too far away.  It's on the site of the old Cypress Gardens down by Lake Wales.

Lol

Every week there is a new post about someone going there and if they can get info is all I meant.

For future reference there is a breaking bad thread, so if you start to watch it you can just ask question in there.

If you wanna run your 1st 5k you can hop in the running thread.

Feel like placing a bet on the yankees tonight? You can stop in the wagering thread and ask.

If you have a question about hurricanes there is even a poster who talks about them a lot and has a thread dedicated to them!

Lol

Every week there is a new post about someone going there and if they can get info is all I meant.

For future reference there is a breaking bad thread, so if you start to watch it you can just ask question in there.

If you wanna run your 1st 5k you can hop in the running thread.

Feel like placing a bet on the yankees tonight? You can stop in the wagering thread and ask.

If you have a question about hurricanes there is even a poster who talks about them a lot and has a thread dedicated to them!
I didn't realize there was a limit on the amount of threads, GB.  One thing I hate about this board is it's littered with threads that have 400 pages on the front page.  And if someone asks something, people go, "There's already a thread on that."  Why does it matter?  We're not making an encyclopedia.  

We did February DW a couple years back.  Plenty of adult rides scattered throughout.  Although the last time I went on a real roller coaster, I got a little nauseous so my definition of adult ride may be sliding back down to kiddy ride.  The Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom is the single best ride I've ever been on.  Totally worth the three hour wait we had.  There's really nothing else like it.  

TheIronSheik said:
I didn't realize there was a limit on the amount of threads, GB.  One thing I hate about this board is it's littered with threads that have 400 pages on the front page.  And if someone asks something, people go, "There's already a thread on that."  Why does it matter?  We're not making an encyclopedia.  
I pretty much agree with you but in this case there are a lot of knowledgeable Disney folk in there who might not see this thread. 

TheIronSheik said:
I was mainly busting and didn't want to pass up making fun of oats.

I was the guy posting 7 different who's hottest polls so thread count doesn't really bother me.

But there are a few knowledgeable people that dont visit the boards anymore except for the threads they specialize in. So they may not see new threads and posting in those 400 page threads is typically where you'll get the most informed info without all the trolls.

I was mainly busting and didn't want to pass up making fun of oats.

I was the guy posting 7 different who's hottest polls so thread count doesn't really bother me.

But there are a few knowledgeable people that dont visit the boards anymore except for the threads they specialize in. So they may not see new threads and posting in those 400 page threads is typically where you'll get the most informed info without all the trolls.
No worries.  That's why I put the old "GB" in my post.  I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't posting in an angry tone.  Sometimes it's hard to tell from just words, so whenever I feel like it might be taken the other way, I always add the GB to the end of a sentence.  I actually do this so often, I did it in a work email once and the guy replied back "What the hell is GB?"  It seemed to have the opposite effect as to here on the board.  :lol:

They're going to miss a thread titled Disney in February?  :confused:
I have seen several posters in a few threads, (pretty sure the Disney thread too), that have said they no longer come to this board. They follow the thread if their choosing and get alerts of new posts and then visit  that specific thread but yes, those people won't see a new title on the 1st page.

I like new threads.  Containing all the discussions in a few megathreads sucks and does not necessarily encourage new discussion.  As an example, the Netflix thread is the worst one IMO.  If I want to read or join the discussion on a show that came out 8 months ago but I'm just now getting into, I have to dig through the megathread to see the discussion from back when it came out.  

Same with the Shart Pool.  If i click on the Mark Ingram thread to read about him, the first post is from 2011.  How the #### is that useful now?

I like new threads.  Containing all the discussions in a few megathreads sucks and does not necessarily encourage new discussion.  As an example, the Netflix thread is the worst one IMO.  If I want to read or join the discussion on a show that came out 8 months ago but I'm just now getting into, I have to dig through the megathread to see the discussion from back when it came out.  

Same with the Shart Pool.  If i click on the Mark Ingram thread to read about him, the first post is from 2011.  How the #### is that useful now?
This was my point about the threads, too.  Someone will post about a new show and others will say, "We're already talking about that in the such and such thread that's 500 pages."  But why can't we have separate threads for whatever we want?  I don't think we need to group things together. 

This was my point about the threads, too.  Someone will post about a new show and others will say, "We're already talking about that in the such and such thread that's 500 pages."  But why can't we have separate threads for whatever we want?  I don't think we need to group things together. 
I’m not the thread police and I’m here all the time and will see both but there’s a reason the mods merge threads.  People don’t want to have to guess which thread to post in or repeat themselves unnecessarily.  Maybe if your thread was unique but for those of us who hang out in the Disney thread we get this exact scenario many times each year.  Just makes it easier and cleaner to have it all in one place.

Ok.  We are just 3 weeks away and it looks like we may have changed gears.  

It seems like now the consensus is Universal Studios.  But that's also confusing because it's like two parks, with another park inside a park (or something with Harry Potter.)

If you have one day to go, what's the play here?  Daughter likes HP, but also likes thrill rides.  

I've only been to DW as an adult, and it was awesome both times I've been. Tip: don't go on a holiday weekend.

Universal has a few cool rides and the Harry Potter thing is well done but it is a really disgusting hole. I don’t know the likes of you and your family and there is things to do at both so I don’t know if anybody can really say what to do. But Disney is far cleaner and the people are way nicer fwiw. 

Epcot is the only DIsney Park we’d ever consider going to again. Especially if you have a 16 year old. Magic Kingdom looks great on the commercials, where they film it without anyone around. It’s a freaking cattle car it’s so packed. And at Epcot there are lots of places to grab a beer.

The Harry Potter areas are really well done - the two worlds/lands are connected by the Hogwarts Express.  The theming is tremendous and immersive.  If she's a big HP fan then she'll love it.

Universal really only has 2 conventional roller coasters (I don't count the Buckbeak ride since it's kind of kiddie and short) - both are really good though.  They have several 4D rides - I'm honestly not a big fan of them, so I was a little underwhelmed the first time we visited.  Not saying they aren't fun or well done - just not my cup of tea.

Cappy is right though - Disney is just better than Universal in just about every way imaginable.  I'm still baffled how anybody could find Universal superior.

Epcot is the only DIsney Park we’d ever consider going to again. Especially if you have a 16 year old. Magic Kingdom looks great on the commercials, where they film it without anyone around. It’s a freaking cattle car it’s so packed. And at Epcot there are lots of places to grab a beer.
While I love Magic Kingdom, it may be my least favorite of the 4 parks.  With Pandora and now Star Wars land opening in recent years it's almost an easy call.

Agree but I’d add Animal Kingdom. 

Users who are viewing this thread