Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

Disney World in February (now maybe Universal)

Recommended Posts

One other question about the fast passes: Now that I’ve signs up for them, do we need to do something to get them or use them once in the park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Ended up getting sick Monday so I’ve been in slumber for the past 48 hours. 

But I was able to buy the tickets for Saturday. When I got to the fast passes, I looked and Space Mountain was all gone. So that sucked. We did a princess at 1. Then Haunted Mansion at 4. And after that, like a reward for all my worry, Space Mountain popped up at 6. So I grabbed that too. I feel like we got everything we wanted. So that’s good. 

We’ll get there at open and head to the back left? Hit those rides as said in here earlier. I’m sure we’ll try to see another princess if possible. 

Any advice on things like the electric parade (is that still a thing?) or the fireworks? Times?

Daughter is really excited for this so that makes us happy. I’m excited, too. It’s been almost 40 years since my last visit. Was bummed to hear Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is no longer a thing :( :lol:

Cool, glad there were FP's for you. 

Park is open 9am - 10pm

If you are there very early, you may want to go straight to the back and hit 7 dwarfs Mine Train. This is normally the one with the longest constant line. So there is rarely a lull in waits here, so consider doing it early when it will be the shortest. 

Otherwise:

At the end of Main Street and to the left is Adventureland. Here the rides to hit would be Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean, 2 classic rides. If you have time, pop into the Tiki Room. Its another classic attraction, one of the last attractions Walt had a hand in. Its very nostalgic, but one that is showing its age. There is never a line here, so you may want to do it later in the day. 

Continuing around to the back left, you'll pass Pirates and enter Frontierland. Unfortunately Splash Mountain, one of the big 2 here, is down for refurburbishment. But you can hit the other, Big Thunder mountain and ride that, its a run-away train, roller coaster. There is also Country Bear Jamboree here, its another classic attraction that is showing its age. Another one where there is never a line, so keep it as a 2nd tier attraction for later in the day. 

Exit Frontierland through Liberty Square. Here is the haunted mansion, but you have a FP for this, so I would pass it for now.

Enter Fantasyland and the rides here are a toss up for your family. You don't have young kids, so its mainly nostalgia here. Peter Pan is a classic attraction, but the wait time grows very fast and IMO, your return on attraction is not there if you are only there for 1 day. Across the way is small world, and again another Classic, but unless it is something you HAVE to do (for nostalgia) I wouldn't do this one early, use your time better elsewhere. 

In the center of Fantasyland is Philharmonic which is a 3D theater with a fun movie. It is a big room and rarely fills so there is rarely more than a 15min wait. So it can be done at any time. Be sure to look up and behind you at the very end of the movie. 

In the center is 7 Dwarves Mine train, mentioned above. If you hit it already, cool, otherwise, gauge the time and see if it fits into your schedule. Its a fun coaster, but built for kids and adults so its a bit tamer, and its not very long. So gauge the wait vs doing other things. 

Behind 7DMT is Enchanted Tales with Belle. This is a unique one b/c it is a show not a ride, but the fun factor here is pretty high b/c they pick people to be 'in the show.' Belle comes out and reinacts meeting the Beast (usually played by a cute little kid). The bonus here is 1. you can sit for a bit, and 2. Belle meets with each guest afterward for photos so you can check off a princess meet-and-greet wrapped in an attraction. 

Further back is Little Mermaid Under the Sea and unless you have a thing for the music of Little Mermaid, this is really a simple kid ride where you just ride through the story. Its a pass in favor of other things unless you are a die-hard LM fan. Past this ride and really in the back is Storybook Circus land that is mainly for kids. Dumbo is back here, so if you have to ride that for nostalgic reason, you'll find it here. Otherwise I wouldn't get too stuck back there. 

On the edge of Fantasyland toward Tomorrowland, and over to the right side of the park is Mad Hatter Tea Cups. Again, its a simple ride, but a quintessential Magic Kingdom ride, so do it if you can. Near that is Winnie the Pooh ride—which is actually the same track from Mr Toad—but it is really a kids ride so unless you are a big Pooh fan, its a pass. 

Entering Tomorrowland, you'll have the Speedway which is an odd attraction b/c it doesn't fit thematically in either Fantasy or Tomorrowland. I's call it a pass for your group for now. You have a Space Mountain FP, so I'd focus on the rest of Tomorrowland. On the front edge is 2 attractions. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger spin. A fun shooter ride where you go though and aim a laser gun at targets and collect points. Next to that is Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. Its a theater attraction so rarely a long wait b/c it fits a lot of people. It's a fun show that is never the same 2x, but it does eat a good amount of time, so visit if you have time. 

In the center of the land is the people mover which is always a fan favorite. Its a very slow transit ride around the land that is not super exciting but people love it. It will get you off your feet for a bit and take you on a nice relaxing loop. Bonus here is that it does go into Space Mountain so you get to see that attraction from the perimeter. 2nd bonus is that you will get a good look at the Tron Lightcycle construction next to SpcMtn and trust me, that ride alone will make you planning a return trip. The other attraction in the center is the Astro Orbiter. I wouldn't go out of my way to ride this, its a simple spinner. 

 

There is a 3pm parade that is really well done. It will start in Frontierland, go through Liberty Square and then down main street. You want to be looking for a spot at least 45 min beforehand if you want someplace up front, or 1/2 hour if you don't mind standing a bit further back. 

Fireworks are at 8 and if you are there for the day, then this is a must do. Happily Ever after Is a great show with some cool projection mapping video on the castle. You really want to try and be in the main hub area (the larger circular walkway area between main street and the castle) , so plan a good 45mins before the show if you can. If you can't get there that early, try and mill around the hub area and eventually they will fold everyone into the middle. But try and be in that area (instead of down main street) b/c you'll have the best view of Tinkerbell....I wont spoil it, but its a highlight of the show. 

 

Throughout the day, snacking is part of the experience. The highlights are:
• Dole Whips in Sunshine Seasons next to the Tiki room in Adventureland
• Cheeseburger spring rolls in the snack cart in Adventureland 
• Turkeylegs (if you like them, I don't) in the snack cart across from Pecos bills in Frontierland
• Lafou's Brew in Gaston's Tavern behind 7D mine Train
more: https://disney.urbantastebud.com/best-magic-kingdom-snacks/

 

*******you need to download the "My Disney Experience App" to your phone. It will give you all the current wait times for the rides. Keep an eye on it all day b/c it will help you make decisions on where you may want to go based on what has low wait times. 

****** you will need to stop at guest relations as soon as you get there and get your plastic card for entry tickets and  fastpasses. Normally guests get special wristbands that has this info loaded and use to 'tap in' to the Fastpass Mickey Heads. Instead of the wrist bands, you'll get a card with the same capabilities. Because I have the wristbands already, I rarely go to guest relations, but I believe there is one at the TTC (ticket and transportation center) the area after you park and before you get the boat or monorail to the park, and one at the park entrance. Regardless, you need to stop there and bring your purchase receipt printouts with you. Also, score bonus points and ask for a free "First Visit" button for your daughter. 

 

 

Edited by glvsav37
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Does rain (or the forecast of rain) keep the crowds down, like most normal parks?  Or does it not matter for DW since it's a destination trip?

The only time I've ever been where weather keeps the crowd down is last year when Dorian looked to be bearing down on central florida.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Commish said:

The only time I've ever been where weather keeps the crowd down is last year when Dorian looked to be bearing down on central florida.

Been there a few times when it was cold af (for Floridians) in the morning and had the MK to ourselves for 3+ hours. Good times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

One other question about the fast passes: Now that I’ve signs up for them, do we need to do something to get them or use them once in the park?

They are on your magic bands.

 

Good luck...have fun. I was a fortunate Floridian who was able to experience Disney with no lines for 2 decades before the recent onslaught. 

Oh the good ol days. Long gone though. It's incredible. We even used to have slow times (September, early November and February) all money to enjoy the parks stress free. It's all gone.

Universal on the other hand has the best express pass experience hands down. We go there more now. So easy. Disney is a freaking chore and quite aggravating the last 5 or so years., Not worth the hassle for parks I have seen 30 plus times (I have lost count to be honest). Not kidding either. We used to get 4 day play as Florida residents for 90 bucks a person in the late 90's and early 2000's 

We were spoiled!!!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Todem said:

There are on your magic bands.

 

Good luck...have fun. I was a fortunate Floridian who was able to experience Disney with no lines for 2 decades before the recent onslaught. 

Oh the good ol days. Long gone though. It's incredible. We even used to have slow times (September, early November and February) all money to enjoy the parks stress free. It's all gone.

Universal on the other hand has the best express pass experience hands down. We go there more now. So easy. Disney is a freaking chore and quite aggravating the last 5 or so years., Not worth the hassle for parks I have seen 30 plus times (I have lost count to be honest). Not kidding either. We used to get 4 day play as Florida residents for 90 bucks a person in the late 90's and early 2000's 

We were spoiled!!!

Im not sure he has magic bands. 

You will use your ticket to scan you into the fast pass lines. If you want to buy some magic bands, you can link them to your account and then scan them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Todem said:

There are on your magic bands.

 

Good luck...have fun. I was a fortunate Floridian who was able to experience Disney with no lines for 2 decades before the recent onslaught. 

Oh the good ol days. Long gone though. It's incredible. We even used to have slow times (September, early November and February) all money to enjoy the parks stress free. It's all gone.

Universal on the other hand has the best express pass experience hands down. We go there more now. So easy. Disney is a freaking chore and quite aggravating the last 5 or so years., Not worth the hassle for parks I have seen 30 plus times (I have lost count to be honest). Not kidding either. We used to get 4 day play as Florida residents for 90 bucks a person in the late 90's and early 2000's 

We were spoiled!!!

Roughly a decade ago, we took our kids to Universal early November (after Halloween and before Christmas celebrations) . Early Sunday morning I rode the Hulk 4 times in about 40 minutes. I might have waited more than 5 minutes once. 

I was a little dizzy after that.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't checked in this thread for a while but I'll point out to anyone else doing what Sheikh is doing.  If you really are set to only go once or only go to one park and you can afford it - get the VIP tour.  Skips all the lines and you get an escort that will answer any and all questions and get you through the park at maximum speed.  Disclaimer - I've not done it myself but heard good things.  Not sure if someone mentioned it but @glvsav37 could probably give some details on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Im not sure he has magic bands. 

You will use your ticket to scan you into the fast pass lines. If you want to buy some magic bands, you can link them to your account and then scan them

Ahh....well worth it to get Magic Bands Shiek. Makes it really easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

Behind 7DMT is Enchanted Tales with Belle. This is a unique one b/c it is a show not a ride, but the fun factor here is pretty high b/c they pick people to be 'in the show.' Belle comes out and reinacts meeting the Beast (usually played by a cute little kid). The bonus here is 1. you can sit for a bit, and 2. Belle meets with each guest afterward for photos so you can check off a princess meet-and-greet wrapped in an attraction. 

 

Just to elaborate on Enchanted Tales since it's my daughter's absolute favorite thing to do in all of Magic Kingdom.  They bring a group of people into a room (parents and kids).  The cast members explain that they're going to act out a little "surprise party" for Belle, and they give people roles.  Usually they'll pick a couple of the dads to be guards, one kid is the Beast, one is Chip, one is Mrs. Potts, one is a horse, one is Maurice, etc. and each kid actor is given a cardboard cutout type sign/mask to hold and use during the skit.   BUT - they always have extra items for anyone that wants a role and got left out, so if your kid is shy or didn't get picked, just ask one of the cast members.   Then they usher everyone into a bigger room, give the "actors" their places, and then Belle comes in and they act out the skit.  At the end of the skit, Belle will meet and greet each actor and pose for a picture.  My daughter didn't get picked for a role the first time she did it and was super bummed, and I guess the cast members were running behind or trying to speed us up because they didn't offer the "extra roles" so we didn't know those were possible.  We did it again later in the day just so she could get picked, and that time they asked at the end of the role selection if anyone else wanted a spot.  Just a heads up to ask if you don't get picked.   

Like @glvsav37 said, it's a great place to sit down, catch a breather, enjoy the A/C, and knock out a princess meet and photo all in one go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Sheik and wifey partying way too late the night before Disney. 

Really irritates me that you aren’t your avatar. 

  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Sheik and wifey partying way too late the night before Disney. 

someone's puking on Small World. Have fun...if you make it. 

Edited by glvsav37
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww, man. Today is the day. A little nervous. But also really excited. :excited:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nice and chilly today. What I’m saying is you have a chance. Godspeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never been some place so packed before. Wife and daughter are in a line for ice cream while I sit and rest my back. Having a great time. Didn’t start off great. When the park opened, we went back to the Thunder ride and found out it was currently shut down. So we then hustled to the Dwarves ride. Line was 90 minutes. As we finally got to the front of the ride, the train pulled up, we got in, and nothing happened. Sat for about a minute before they got us out of the train and said the ride had broken down. So 0 for 2 on the rides. Hell, even stopped to get a drink and after waiting in a small line, as we got up to the front, the soda machine broke. 

After that, smooth sailing. We have one last fast pass at Space Mountain, at 6. Then we try to make it to the fireworks. My back is killing me so hopefully we can make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I’ve never been some place so packed before. Wife and daughter are in a line for ice cream while I sit and rest my back. Having a great time. Didn’t start off great. When the park opened, we went back to the Thunder ride and found out it was currently shut down. So we then hustled to the Dwarves ride. Line was 90 minutes. As we finally got to the front of the ride, the train pulled up, we got in, and nothing happened. Sat for about a minute before they got us out of the train and said the ride had broken down. So 0 for 2 on the rides. Hell, even stopped to get a drink and after waiting in a small line, as we got up to the front, the soda machine broke. 

After that, smooth sailing. We have one last fast pass at Space Mountain, at 6. Then we try to make it to the fireworks. My back is killing me so hopefully we can make it. 

They didn’t give you a fast pass for the mine train ride? They absolutely should have done that for you since you waited. If not, go to city hall place on Main Street and explain to them what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside: how the hell is mine train still breaking down. It’s been open 6 years now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Capella said:

They didn’t give you a fast pass for the mine train ride? They absolutely should have done that for you since you waited. If not, go to city hall place on Main Street and explain to them what happened. 

They did. We actually used it to ride Thunder Mountain. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, we met Mary Poppins and that girl might have been the greatest actress ever. I felt like she was really Mary Poppins.

On a side note, I feel like I learned I have a new fetish after seeing all of these hot girls dressed as Disney princesses. :mellow: 

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seated waiting for the fireworks. Incredibly long, but fun day. 

This place would be so much better without kids. And adults. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight is absolutely perfect.  I’m about 20 minutes north of Disney off the 429 and it’s upper 50s temp, no clouds, beautiful big full moon.  Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were amazed how easily we were able to get out of the park. Left Disney in a matter of minutes. 

And then there was an accident on the highway. Closed the road completely. When we left the parking lot, it said a 22 minute drive. 90 minutes later, we are back in the hotel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

We were amazed how easily we were able to get out of the park. Left Disney in a matter of minutes. 

And then there was an accident on the highway. Closed the road completely. When we left the parking lot, it said a 22 minute drive. 90 minutes later, we are back in the hotel. 

Consider it part of the Florida experience 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

We were amazed how easily we were able to get out of the park. Left Disney in a matter of minutes. 

And then there was an accident on the highway. Closed the road completely. When we left the parking lot, it said a 22 minute drive. 90 minutes later, we are back in the hotel. 

How late did you make? How were the crowds?  :popcorn:waiting on a full report. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

How late did you make? How were the crowds?  :popcorn:waiting on a full report. lol 

I’ll give a full report Monday but we left right after the fireworks. We had great seats thanks to you telling us to get there early. That display was amazing. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I’ll give a full report Monday but we left right after the fireworks. We had great seats thanks to you telling us to get there early. That display was amazing. 

awesome. Hope your daughter enjoyed it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I’ll give a full report Monday but we left right after the fireworks. We had great seats thanks to you telling us to get there early. That display was amazing. 

Do they still do tinker Bell? Thought I read they were stopping.

2 of my favorites from my old ####ty phone.

I don't really like going to Disney but the fireworks were awesome

https://imgur.com/a/iAFfD4C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, belljr said:

Do they still do tinker Bell? Thought I read they were stopping.

2 of my favorites from my old ####ty phone.

I don't really like going to Disney but the fireworks were awesome

https://imgur.com/a/iAFfD4C

She was there last month when we went 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She was there last night. And she was awesome. I mean, the way she moved, you could tell it was Tink. 

Side note: I feel like the entire town of Orlando is one big line. We’re at the airport and the lines are huge everywhere. Even the bathrooms have lines. No offense to anyone who lives here, but I can’t wait to be the hell out of this place. I don’t want to wait in another line for at least a year. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We drove up to Daytona Beach today. It was cool to see the speedway. I forgot the race was next weekend so I lucked out. My MIL and FIL live the beach so I took them up there so they could walk in the ocean. It was fun. But I’m dressed ready for 35° temps tonight. So I was on the beach in what I wear to shovel snow. Fun trip. But I’m actually excited to get hone and see the puppies again. Tomorrow is the youngest pup’s 1st birthday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

She was there last night. And she was awesome. I mean, the way she moved, you could tell it was Tink. 

Side note: I feel like the entire town of Orlando is one big line. We’re at the airport and the lines are huge everywhere. Even the bathrooms have lines. No offense to anyone who lives here, but I can’t wait to be the hell out of this place. I don’t want to wait in another line for at least a year. 

Nobody lives in the tourist areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

Nobody lives in the tourist areas. 

We were in downtown Orlando. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

We were in downtown Orlando. 

Nobody lives there either. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

We were in downtown Orlando. 

Same thing.

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Nobody lives there either. 

Yeah. I go to Daytona once every 3 months (family business) and now make it a policy to only drive on I-4 either there or back. The other leg is either through Ocala or maybe across 60. There is a ridiculous amount of development just east of 429 on the west edge of Disney. I’m just amazed at how many folks are still moving down here and why they would want to live in the Orlando area. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Nobody lives there either. 

The homeless do. We were surprised how many homeless people were around for such a smaller sized city. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

The homeless do. We were surprised how many homeless people were around for such a smaller sized city. 

You should visit Miami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

You should visit Miami

I actually have no desire to go there. Not anymore, anyway. I feel like Miami is a young person’s game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheIronSheik said:

I actually have no desire to go there. Not anymore, anyway. I feel like Miami is a young person’s game. 

I was joking.  Not someplace I really desire to spend any time in other than driving through it to get to the Keys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I was joking.  Not someplace I really desire to spend any time in other than driving through it to get to the Keys.

Yeah. That’s totally more my speed these days. I’d love to go there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

We drove up to Daytona Beach today. It was cool to see the speedway. I forgot the race was next weekend so I lucked out. My MIL and FIL live the beach so I took them up there so they could walk in the ocean. It was fun. But I’m dressed ready for 35° temps tonight. So I was on the beach in what I wear to shovel snow. Fun trip. But I’m actually excited to get hone and see the puppies again. Tomorrow is the youngest pup’s 1st birthday. 

Seems like you saw the puppies Friday night..... amirite?!?!?    ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, That one guy said:

There are people downtown on the weekends?

Homeless people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

We drove up to Daytona Beach today. It was cool to see the speedway. I forgot the race was next weekend so I lucked out. My MIL and FIL live the beach so I took them up there so they could walk in the ocean. It was fun. But I’m dressed ready for 35° temps tonight. So I was on the beach in what I wear to shovel snow. Fun trip. But I’m actually excited to get hone and see the puppies again. Tomorrow is the youngest pup’s 1st birthday. 

So were you in Daytona Sunday night and get to see the rocket launch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JaxBill said:

So were you in Daytona Sunday night and get to see the rocket launch?

No.  Not Sunday night.  We got to Daytona Beach around noon.  Walked on the beach for about 20 minutes, then went and got lunch, then got to the airport at about 4.  

Our hotel checkout time was 11am but our flight was at 7:30pm, so we had some time to kill with no place to stay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Homeless people

Yeah, thought he was talking actual visitors there to do whatever downtown has to offer...which is pretty much just the movie theater and/or walking around and seeing where all the bar goers puked the night before (probably a groupon available for that tour)

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wedding was downtown.  That's the only reason we stayed downtown.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Embassy Suites or Grand BohemIan?

Embassy Suites.  The wedding was at the Dr. Phillips Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.