What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is "Booing" a thing in your town? (1 Viewer)

Is "Booing" a thing in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • No

Votes: 54 62.1%
  • shurg

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
I never had this where I grew up, which is only like 20 minutes from where I currently live.  When we moved to this town, the kids in October did this thing called "Booing."  Basically your kids' friends (grammar school age) ring the doorbell, leave a bag of candy, and run off.  It's basically ring and run with candy.  In around 3rd grade it starts to get competitive--doorbell rings in the evening in our house and the girls all assume they've been Boo'd, and so they all come running and burst out the front door to try and catch the booer.  Last night was my first time at the helm, driving while Mrs. O passed out the bags to the kids, gave me directions, and we repeatedly deployed and picked up the two older O kids.  During the mad dash back into the car, I'm pretty sure a couple times I had the wheels rolling before 8 year old had the door shut.  You start developing next level strategies on where to deploy the kids and where to wait for pickup; which side of the street; how to shut down in-vehicle lighting to maintain anonymity.  Etc.

We weren't caught once.  We're undefeated.  :bowtie:

This a thing in your town?

If it is now, I thank baby jesus that it wasn't when my kids were that age.  I'm all for doing stuff with the kids and cheap happiness (I'm looking at you elf on the shelf) is right up my alley, but I strive to minimize interaction with other parents.

I think this is a generally new thing, right?  Never heard of it until about 10 years ago. The kids enjoy it.  I don’t understand the grumpy old men who get all worked up about it.  

This was my initial view, but it's growing on me.

I think this is a generally new thing, right?  Never heard of it until about 10 years ago. The kids enjoy it.  I don’t understand the grumpy old men who get all worked up about it.  
Yeah I’d say within last 5-10 years, and agree if the kids enjoy it then support if even if it’s dumb

Seems like it must be a new thing, I'd never heard of it before.  I agree it's a nice thing, the kids have fun, and it's something different we can do as a family a couple nights a year.

We have a small neighborhood.   Its a development that is basically one big circle.  The way it started here was basically a chain letter.   If you got BOO'd  you then needed to BOO 2 other houses.   They didn't really ring the doorbell and run though.   You basically left a bag of candy and with a boo'd sign in it.

If you got boo'd you placed the sign on your door so people would know.    You would try "not to get caught" but usualy you just pick a time when no one was around and drop it off.

We would "fake sneak" with the kid to make it seem more fun but in reality you are just dropping off 2 bags of candy :)

And yes - it started around here maybe 10 years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a small neighborhood.   Its a development that is basically one big circle.  The way it started here was basically a chain letter.   If you got BOO'd  you then needed to BOO 2 other houses.   They didn't really ring the doorbell and run though.   You basically left a bag of candy and with a boo'd sign in it.

If you got boo'd you placed the sign on your door so people would know.    You would try "not to get caught" but usualy you just pick a time when no one was around and drop it off.

We would "fake sneak" with the kid to make it seem more fun but in reality you are just dropping off 2 bags of candy :)

And yes - it started around here maybe 10 years ago...
This is how it works in our development as well.   Once you get bood, you are expected to boo 2 other houses.  My daughter loves it so I'm all for it.   She, like most kids, likes sneaking around in the dark and doing the whole leave the candy, ring the doorbell, and run away to hide to watch who retrieves the candy.   

We never had this when I was growing up obviously, but it seems harmless. Whatever is fun & safe for littles is good enough for me. 

This is how it works in our development as well.   Once you get bood, you are expected to boo 2 other houses.  My daughter loves it so I'm all for it.   She, like most kids, likes sneaking around in the dark and doing the whole leave the candy, ring the doorbell, and run away to hide to watch who retrieves the candy.   
we had a nice "wave of kids" that were all within a few years of each other.  So every year we would have a "parade" and have a party in the common area.  Did dumb games and stuff for the kids. Was the only time I socialized with the other neighbors :lol:

We probably had 25-40 kids.  They are trying to keep the tradition going but many of the organizers kids are all older now (teenagers including my daughter) and many have moved out/divorced....  

Curious where you guys live that are having this happen.  I'd never heard of this until this thread, but sounds like something fun to do with your kid. Anything that gets them away from a screen is worth it these days

wlwiles said:
Curious where you guys live that are having this happen.  I'd never heard of this until this thread, but sounds like something fun to do with your kid. Anything that gets them away from a screen is worth it these days
Long Island, NY

Otis said:
I never had this where I grew up, which is only like 20 minutes from where I currently live.  When we moved to this town, the kids in October did this thing called "Booing."  Basically your kids' friends (grammar school age) ring the doorbell, leave a bag of candy, and run off.  It's basically ring and run with candy.  In around 3rd grade it starts to get competitive--doorbell rings in the evening in our house and the girls all assume they've been Boo'd, and so they all come running and burst out the front door to try and catch the booer.  Last night was my first time at the helm, driving while Mrs. O passed out the bags to the kids, gave me directions, and we repeatedly deployed and picked up the two older O kids.  During the mad dash back into the car, I'm pretty sure a couple times I had the wheels rolling before 8 year old had the door shut.  You start developing next level strategies on where to deploy the kids and where to wait for pickup; which side of the street; how to shut down in-vehicle lighting to maintain anonymity.  Etc.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

What’s this BS?  Why was my favorite excluded? For this I will not stand!

Otis said:

I live in Baltimore, bro.  What do you think?

Counting this thread, I have now heard of this... once. So I admittedly have no idea if it is a thing here. I have certainly never witnessed it, but my kids are all adults.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

What’s this BS?  Why was my favorite excluded? For this I will not stand!
She was ridin' backseat shotty and strapped in; just too slow and unwieldy to make it back without getting caught.  #1 demanded of this; she initially tried to keep even #2 in the car for fear she'd slow her down, but we shut that down.  #2 would mostly just go and hide in front of a big bush and then after #1 rang the doorbell you'd see nothing but #2's light-up sneakers blinking with each step from the bush to the car.

But yeah, it was a full family affair.

belljr said:
Sounds like a scheme to me.

(Oh yeah, or a chain letter. Ha. Missed that.)

i heard about this and i tried it but instead of candy i left people bags full of bees and i would say youve been beed take that to the bank brobeegos

We've been boo'd before, but we've never boo'd others. 

What about flocking?  Our kids' elementary school has this fundraiser for the 5th grade where a family "donates" $25 to have another family "flocked."  The flocking committee (group of 5th grade moms) then dresses in all black and puts up pink flamingos in the "flockee" family's front yard at night.  The committee typically boozes it up first. Then, in the morning, they open their front door to a yard littered with pink flamingos.  The committee picks up the flamingos on that night, and then flocks another house. 

Sounds like a family friendly version of the old devil's night, where smashing pumpkins and committing other non legal mayhem was considered the norm.

So you're saying that some random stranger leaves candy at your door, and YOU LET YOUR KIDS EAT THAT?  Are you nuts?
This made me sad. Not because you are wrong, but because you are likely right. So glad I grew up when I did. A thought like this would have never entered anyone's head back then.

This made me sad. Not because you are wrong, but because you are likely right. So glad I grew up when I did. A thought like this would have never entered anyone's head back then.
I live in Houston.  The non-random murders happened right after I moved here.  But aside from that sort of stuff, if you are teaching your kids not to take candy from strangers, letting them eat random crap left on your porch just seems careless.  It's a bit like eating things you find on the floor.

Sounds like a family friendly version of the old devil's night, where smashing pumpkins and committing other non legal mayhem was considered the norm.
This is what I remember from childhood. 

that and melting the tips of Barbasol cans with a lighter so we could shoot shaving cream far at other kids.  Never forget the year James Mallon and Mike Delia were rumored to be going around town with Nair instead of shaving cream  

Times have changed. 

You mean you are watching your porch 24/7 to see who is leaving the candy?  Or do you just hate porch pirates?
Well I do have a Ring..... so yes?  :P

And where do your kids go trick or treating?   No strangers houses?

So you're saying that some random stranger leaves candy at your door, and YOU LET YOUR KIDS EAT THAT?  Are you nuts?
Are you guys serious? How many intentional poisonings are you hearing about in the news these days?  It doesn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread