What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor cut down our tree (2 Viewers)

That’s the point. Although I can’t speak for the OP, my interpretation of this thread is that it’s not about the tree. It’s more about the steps the neighbor took prior to cutting down the tree. Whether it’s something as “insignificant” as a tree, the neighbor was completely out of line. 
I get that, but I was responding to someone not the OP saying that it's not "just a tree"  I guess because its 50 years old? 

I get that, but I was responding to someone not the OP saying that it's not "just a tree"  I guess because its 50 years old? 
As one that was more on your side of this and didn't think I'd want to make a big deal of it, I've come around a little on this. There is "just a tree" and then there is "just a tree". Seeing the photos in thread and having more of a description, this tree offered a certain amount of privacy and such to the OP. Seems there is a pretty big desire to replace the missing tree with a new one(s) to replace that benefit along with the landscaping aesthetics. 

I think there are a number of people in here more interesting in "getting revenge/ getting even" which I definitley hope I wouldn't do, but I could see wanting to make him replace the shrubbery, which has been shown to be no small venture. 

As one that was more on your side of this and didn't think I'd want to make a big deal of it, I've come around a little on this. There is "just a tree" and then there is "just a tree". Seeing the photos in thread and having more of a description, this tree offered a certain amount of privacy and such to the OP. Seems there is a pretty big desire to replace the missing tree with a new one(s) to replace that benefit along with the landscaping aesthetics. 

I think there are a number of people in here more interesting in "getting revenge/ getting even" which I definitley hope I wouldn't do, but I could see wanting to make him replace the shrubbery, which has been shown to be no small venture. 
There's a difference between 'seeking revenge' and wanting to establish good boundaries with a neighbor that has shown a tendency towards doing whatever he wants. Gian's neighbor had that tree cut down, even though he knew it wasn't on his property and got advice from an arborist about it. The healthy, adult reaction isn't just to let that slide. The healthy thing to do is to confront the situation head on, make sure you're made whole, and not let bitterness and anger consume you. IMO, gian's done a good job of that, throughout the process.

He can potentially get $15k-$20k based on the laws in his area.  Seems like something worth investiagting... plus, he loved the tree and the dude who cut it down likely did it knowing it was against the law.

At this point, the thread has turned to what charity the entirety of the funds should go to.
More like some fraction of that which an attorney will take most of. Don’t be the dude that hires an attorney over a tree. Life is short, come up with a solution you both can live with and move on. 

Height, breadth, privacy, view...these are things that a 50 year old tree offer that generally can't be replaced by something inherently younger that can be transported and planted. Its age produces that and that inability to be replaced like for like...except over time...make it "not just a tree".

But you must get that...and just don't agree?

There's a difference between 'seeking revenge' and wanting to establish good boundaries with a neighbor that has shown a tendency towards doing whatever he wants. Gian's neighbor had that tree cut down, even though he knew it wasn't on his property and got advice from an arborist about it. The healthy, adult reaction isn't just to let that slide. The healthy thing to do is to confront the situation head on, make sure you're made whole, and not let bitterness and anger consume you. IMO, gian's done a good job of that, throughout the process.
I agree on all counts.

Height, breadth, privacy, view...these are things that a 50 year old tree offer that generally can't be replaced by something inherently younger that can be transported and planted. Its age produces that and that inability to be replaced like for like...except over time...make it "not just a tree".

Also Beauty+ Grandeur 

Also Beauty+ Grandeur 
And acorns....don't forget the acorns.

Cliff notes???
I havent read the thread since the first page or so...was surprised there are this many pages. Either it turned into a Friday style who-dunnit, or it's pages and pages of people arguing about the relative value of a tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the neighbor wants to establish the precedent that trespass onto another's property and interference with their property is appropriate maybe you should hire a painter to change the color of his house to your liking and then call it even.

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
I havent read the thread since the first page or so...was surprised there are this many pages. Either it turned into a Friday style who-dunnit, or it's pages and pages of people arguing about the relative value of a tree.
It was funnier the way you had it originally.

It's way past the time for an update.  
Not much happening. Met with him briefly as he wanted to discuss cutting back some of the brush/foliage toward the back. He's going to do what he can to preserve what's on our side.

As for the tree, he's going to look into some replacements by talking to his landscaper and will get back to us by the end of the week. That's when we get to see where he is with this.

He at least seems to understand that he can't come in and just start doing what he wants along the property line. And at the same time, I'm ok with him trying to accomplish what he needs to get what he wants in his side within reason. 

I think we will get there. Conversations have been quite cordial so I'm confident this will get resolved between us.

Also Beauty+ Grandeur 
And acorns....don't forget the acorns.
You son of a #####....

Not much happening. Met with him briefly as he wanted to discuss cutting back some of the brush/foliage toward the back. He's going to do what he can to preserve what's on our side.

As for the tree, he's going to look into some replacements by talking to his landscaper and will get back to us by the end of the week. That's when we get to see where he is with this.

He at least seems to understand that he can't come in and just start doing what he wants along the property line. And at the same time, I'm ok with him trying to accomplish what he needs to get what he wants in his side within reason. 

I think we will get there. Conversations have been quite cordial so I'm confident this will get resolved between us.
Boo.

You're going to need to Friday this up a bit.

There is only one proper way for this to end.  A duel.  You guys start at the stump both on your own property.  Both take 10 steps deep on to your own property and shoot!  

This is how real men would do it if they aren't yellow.

Unless it's a race.  The new @gianmarco is now anti-race.
I hate that you can have horse races, foot races, car races...  I'm all for just having one master race.  I did a search on the internet and it turns out I'm not alone.  There's a huge amount of people just like who believe the same thing, although most of them see to be white guys.  

There is only one proper way for this to end.  A duel.  You guys start at the stump both on your own property.  Both take 10 steps deep on to your own property and shoot!  

This is how real men would do it if they aren't yellow.
It's the Ten Duel Commandments

Number one
The challenge, demand satisfaction
If they apologize, no need for further action

Number two
If they don't, grab a friend, that's your second
Your lieutenant when there's reckoning to be reckoned

Number three
Have your seconds meet face to face
Negotiate a peace
Or negotiate a time and place
This is commonplace, 'specially 'tween recruits
Most disputes die, and no one shoots

Number four
If they don't reach a peace, that's alright
Time to get some pistols and a doctor on site
You pay him in advance, you treat him with civility
You have him turn around so he can have deniability

Five
Duel before the sun is in the sky
Pick a place to die where it's high and dry

Number six
Leave a note for your next of kin
Tell 'em where you been
Pray that hell or heaven lets you in

Seven
Confess your sins
Ready for the moment of adrenaline when you finally face your opponent

Number eight
Your last chance to negotiate
Send in your seconds, see if they can set the record straight

Number nine
Look 'em in the eye, aim no higher
Summon all the courage you require

Then count
One two three four
Five six seven eight nine
Number Ten paces
Fire

It's the Ten Duel Commandments

Number one
The challenge, demand satisfaction
If they apologize, no need for further action

Number two
If they don't, grab a friend, that's your second
Your lieutenant when there's reckoning to be reckoned

Number three
Have your seconds meet face to face
Negotiate a peace
Or negotiate a time and place
This is commonplace, 'specially 'tween recruits
Most disputes die, and no one shoots

Number four
If they don't reach a peace, that's alright
Time to get some pistols and a doctor on site
You pay him in advance, you treat him with civility
You have him turn around so he can have deniability

Five
Duel before the sun is in the sky
Pick a place to die where it's high and dry

Number six
Leave a note for your next of kin
Tell 'em where you been
Pray that hell or heaven lets you in

Seven
Confess your sins
Ready for the moment of adrenaline when you finally face your opponent

Number eight
Your last chance to negotiate
Send in your seconds, see if they can set the record straight

Number nine
Look 'em in the eye, aim no higher
Summon all the courage you require

Then count
One two three four
Five six seven eight nine
Number Ten paces
Fire
Somebody likes Hamilton

If the neighbor wants to establish the precedent that trespass onto another's property and interference with their property is appropriate maybe you should hire a painter to change the color of his house to your liking and then call it even.
And then send him a bill for the paint

Fool me once...

Fool me once...
Didn't notice the wording the first time I read that. Hopefully it was just paraphrasing and what he actually said was more like he "will absolutely leave everything on your side untouched."

I'd be taking pictures/video of your land, trees, landscaping, whatever, because any of those out of place... that is your neighbors ### on a platter. No way he has any right to touch any of your foliage or redirecting anything that may damage your area. Maybe you're playing nice on the internet and you're different in person but if you are playing nice in person... he's going to walk all over you. His defense in court will be, "you gave verbal permission and/or didn't object." I'd be much more wise as to what he plans on doing.

:crickets:
Ha, nice timing, "neighbor".

Just got an email from him.  I'll be reviewing with the wife later this evening, but he proposed to put up 2 trees in that spot.  He gave me an option of 5 different trees, but all of them would be 3" caliper and about 15' tall.  For example, one of them is an autumn blaze maple.

I just looked up the price of a 3" caliper autumn blaze maple:  $255.

Yeah, I think we're a bit off here.  I'll update later on when we decide what we're coming back with.

Email we just sent to him:

Dear XXXXX,

Those trees do not work for us.

XXXXX company has Norway Spruce trees that are 9.5 inch caliper and 25-30 feet tall. Planting TWO of these trees is appropriate. XXXXX informed us that these need to be planted in the spring.

Let us know how to proceed by the end of the week, please.  Thank you.

Email we just sent to him:

Dear XXXXX,

Those trees do not work for us.

XXXXX company has Norway Spruce trees that are 9.5 inch caliper and 25-30 feet tall. Planting TWO of these trees is appropriate. XXXXX informed us that these need to be planted in the spring.

Let us know how to proceed by the end of the week, please.  Thank you.
price for 9.5 trees?

and you know he's getting those little trees, for free, from some job site.

Users who are viewing this thread