Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

Neighbor cut down our tree

Just now, bigbottom said:

Seems like a good resolution all around. 

Yes. This feels better. We can get what we need. It didn't take long for him to accept so I'm sure he was aware he could be on the hook for more and it made sense to get it done. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Don't settle now until you have full damages in hand, a hand written apology, and oral gratification.  Call your effort Operation Restoration of Manhood.

not sure that's warranted here.  Or even wanted.

You have him on the ropes. Let's go for PUNITIVE damages.

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Seems like a good resolution all around. 

Well, except for his neighbor's house not being burned to the ground by a suspicious fire, I guess I would agree.

What about getting assignment of rights to prima nocta with his wife?  What happened with that?

• Like 1

Gianmarco,

Thanks for providing us with diversion.  Much appreciated.  Glad things worked out.  Oh, and consider an obscene topiary display, just consider it.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/phallic-shaped-bush-in-windsor-sculpture-garden-being-transformed-into-poodle-1.1501613

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jb1020 said:

You ever had a neighbor that had a crab apple tree that hung over your yard???  Thats the ultimate FU tree.  Those things are awful.  Same guy has an apricot tree that hung over my roof.  Those were delicious though.  I never complained.  

I have another nomination for "ultimate FU tree". Chestnut. Yeah, I know acorns are all the rage here, but ...

From Chestnut Hill:

1) History:

The American chestnut was the most important food and timber trees species in the Eastern hardwood forest. It was almost completely destroyed by a bark fungus accidentally introduced from the Orient in 1904. Within 40 years, over 30 million acres of chestnut trees were killed from Maine to Georgia and west to the Mississippi. This tragedy was easily the worst ecological disaster in American history.

It would be really great to help rebuild the Chestnut population.

2) Usefulness:

The chestnut is the most useful tree in the world. ... Considering the importance of chestnuts as a high carbohydrate food source for thousands of years, and the beautiful, rot-resistant wood that is used from everything from vineyard stakes, fence posts to siding and bridge timbers, and was a major source of tannin for tanning leather, is there any tree that provides this range of uses and value?

Oaks, pines, and fruit trees each provide single uses for timber or food, and many have a larger total monetary value for the that use or crop than chestnuts. However, no tree species in history has offered such a wide range of uses or importance. It is little wonder that chestnuts have been grown by every major culture, and transported in conquests and explorations to every continent where it could be grown.

These babies are multitaskers to the max.

3) Profit potential:

Chestnuts can be a very profitable crop. They begin to bear in only 3-5 years, and by 10 years can produce as much as 10-20 lbs/tree. At maturity (15-20 years) they can produce as much as 50-100 lbs/tree or up to 2,000-3,000 lbs/acre each year. Trees planted in colder regions such as USDA zone 5, may bear between 5-7 years of age. Wholesale prices for large, high quality chestnuts are $3.00-5.00/lb, and higher for organically grown chestnuts. Retail prices range from $3-10.00/lb. This is a superior return to pecans, hazelnuts and many other tree crops!

4) Cost:

From: https://www.tytyga.com/American-Chestnut-p/nutche-american.htm

1-2ft tall [$16.75]
 2-3ft tall [$29.75]
 4-5ft tall [$59.75]
 5-6ft tall [$79.75]
 6-7ft tall [$99.75]
 7-8ft tall [$129.75]
 8-9ft tall [$159.75]

You can afford to plant an entire orchard around his property.

$3,000 / $159.75 = 18.78 trees

$1,000 = pay for planting/etc. or pocket.

5) Math:

In 3 years:

18 trees * 15 lb of nuts/tree-year (avg) = 270 lbs of nuts/year

In 15 years:

18 trees * 75 lb of nuts/tree-year (avg) = 1,350 lbs of nuts/year

6) Profit reality:

Chestnut burs - which will encase that 1/2 ton o' nuts you will be dropping along the perimeter of his property per year ... very soon.

Oh, ya can sell the nuts too.

gl

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Well, except for his neighbor's house not being burned to the ground by a suspicious fire, I guess I would agree.

It hasn't even been built yet...

6 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

It hasn't even been built yet...

But I believe he said that's off the table, even for later.  Plus, I'm sure the guy is living somewhere right now.  Doesn't have to be the one next to his house.

• Thinking 1

@gianmarco from what you have learned about this guy, what are the odds you and the new neighbor become more than cordial neighbors and become good buddy’s? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

@gianmarco from what you have learned about this guy, what are the odds you and the new neighbor become more than cordial neighbors and become good buddy’s? 

Virtually none.

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

And, just wanted to thank a lot of you here for help with thoughts on this. I hope it was an entertaining thread, but I did get some good thoughts/feedback/perspective from some of you that helped guide me through this or at least helped confirm my thoughts and actions.

I feel pretty good about the resolution and can finally be done with it. Like some mentioned early on, most things aren't worth sweating over and this situation was taking up a good chunk of effort at times. I'm glad it's done and everyone can be "happy".

I'll try to have some surprise updates in the future to keep this going......

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I think someone missed an opportunity for smoking wood and to start a yule log business.

maybe someone is.....

7 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Pleasant conversation.  I spoke first, explained our position.  Neighbor agreed.  He will be giving us a check for $4K in the next week and we can then take care of planting the trees ourselves when it's a good time to plant them.  We will likely wait until the frame of his house is up so we can get a good idea of where to put them.

Thanks,

The Doormat

Take some of that $4k to the local junk yard and buy some cars to put on blocks in the back yard right next to the property line.  That'll show him!

• Laughing 2

5 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Take some of that $4k to the local junk yard and buy some cars to put on blocks in the back yard right next to the property line.  That'll show him!

Easy, internet tough guy!

27 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Use 3k on hookers and blow 

... on the stump

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Treemendous! :clap:

10 hours ago, gianmarco said:

He is going to be living in this house.  It is not an investment.  This will be his home.

You'd be suprised how many times builders say this when it's not the case.

8 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Pleasant conversation.  I spoke first, explained our position.  Neighbor agreed.  He will be giving us a check for $4K in the next week and we can then take care of planting the trees ourselves when it's a good time to plant them.

You'd be surprised how many times people say this and don't do it.

• Thinking 1

I think you should take 1 grand and tip a hotel maid.  1 grand to charity.  1 grand to buy one of these to install at the stump.  And 1 grand treat yo self. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

7 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think you should take 1 grand and tip a hotel maid.  1 grand to charity.  1 grand to buy one of these to install at the stump.  And 1 grand treat yo self. 

The more I look at the pictures in that link, the more it cracks me up thinking of you installing this at the stump.  :lmao:

Plus, it's "Hundred Satisfaction" AND "Hundred Quality".  

• Laughing 1

Take the cash, dig a trench along the property line, fill it with water, and throw a couple Gators in there. You know what they say, Gators make good neighbors.

Edited by cap'n grunge
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, gianmarco said:

And, just wanted to thank a lot of you here for help with thoughts on this. I hope it was an entertaining thread, but I did get some good thoughts/feedback/perspective from some of you that helped guide me through this or at least helped confirm my thoughts and actions.

I feel pretty good about the resolution and can finally be done with it. Like some mentioned early on, most things aren't worth sweating over and this situation was taking up a good chunk of effort at times. I'm glad it's done and everyone can be "happy".

But you hate the children by keeping it

Also don't plant any trees and throw $4000 worth of pennies at him

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kanil said:

Just have a crazy house party and invite the whole neighborhood besides him. After easily spending $3700 on the goat party, have some small shrubs planted in the spot. 😂

On 11/7/2019 at 8:30 AM, gianmarco said:

We will likely wait until the frame of his house is up so we can get a good idea of where to put them.

Put them where they block direct sunlight all year round.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, beer 30 said:

Lotta innernets tough guys in here I see. Some tough mofo's behind a keyboard.

Because we wouldn't lay down like a carpet and say thank you sir? 

Edited by DJackson10
  • Laughing 1

and to @gianmarco glad you settled this and are happy with the outcome. Personally knowing my family and myself I I would've done more to screw this guy over. Just keep on top of him with the construction and file anonymous complaints if needed of violations on the job if they happen. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, gianmarco said:

It will be interesting to see how important having a tree changes with the passage of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get used to it not being there and end up spending the money elsewhere.

I’m reminded of a time my car was sideswiped, breaking the driver’s side mirror and scratching/denting three different places in the process. Total repair estimate was over $2k. I initially intended on fixing everything, but by the time I received an insurance check from the person who hit me, it was over a month later. I ended up spending fifteen bucks on replacement mirror glass and superglue.

Put up a set of $4k goal posts on the property line imo

• Laughing 1

Maybe a large flag pole and one of those Perkins Restaurant sized American flags.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:42 PM, gianmarco said:

Yeah, I'd like to leave the thread up even just for entertainment value but if this starts taking some weird turns, we'll just blow it up. 

Let's leave the neighbor reading the thread or losing his job stuff alone and get back to what matters:  acorns.

You should hear what the trees are saying about the neighbor.  Link

15 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Put up a set of $4k goal posts on the property line imo

If I've learned anything about goalposts and disputes, though, I'd make that goalpost movable.