What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor cut down our tree (1 Viewer)

the new neighbor completely disrespected gianmarco by knowingly cutting down a huge tree on his property.

Does he want to be the guys doormat so they can get along?  Seems like a bad deal for Gian.  Maybe next he'll have his dog #### on Gian's lawn and expect him to smile and clean it up.
Yeah, first impressions usually stick so I'm thinking this guy and Gian we're never going to be friends.  Plus its an acre lot, not like they have shared parking.  Screw this neighbor.  My guess is this guy isn't your typical friendly beer drinking front porch kind of guy.  Sounds like one of those neighbors you never talk too anyways.  

I still think you can about leave the neighbor out of it and pin in all on the tree guy.   Especially now seeing how the first tree guy dropped out knowing this was an issue.  Sure the neighbor was a turd for asking to cut it down, but this falls on the tree guy...100% on the tree guy.  He's the one you'll get money out of.   That at least takes the friction of of you and your neighbor.  Neighbor might even change his tune and claim he never told the guy to cut it.  

I'm pissed for you.  I hope you get something out of this.  $25k will be a start to a nice pool.   :thumbup:

the new neighbor completely disrespected gianmarco by knowingly cutting down a huge tree on his property.

Does he want to be the guys doormat so they can get along?  Seems like a bad deal for Gian.  Maybe next he'll have his dog #### on Gian's lawn and expect him to smile and clean it up.
It’s a tree he’s had one month of attachment to and I’m not convinced the neighbor did it intentionally, although ii seems some are. Plant a few trees. I get that it won’t be 50’ tall, but you can make it look pretty #######g nice for a couple $k. 

It doesn’t seem like a pattern yet, and if my neighbor owned a construction company, I personally would want to leverage my relationship when doing home improvements. 

Plus, my original point of not feeling animosity toward a neighbor is almost priceless to me based on past experiences. 

To each their own...

It’s a tree he’s had one month of attachment to and I’m not convinced the neighbor did it intentionally, although ii seems some are. Plant a few trees. I get that it won’t be 50’ tall, but you can make it look pretty #######g nice for a couple $k. 

It doesn’t seem like a pattern yet, and if my neighbor owned a construction company, I personally would want to leverage my relationship when doing home improvements. 

Plus, my original point of not feeling animosity toward a neighbor is almost priceless to me based on past experiences. 

To each their own...

Gee, my wife cheated on me but it doesn't seem like a pattern yet.   Maybe the guy she's banging can give me a deal on painting my house.

This will be the excuse I use when I kill someone with my car.  "Geez.  Get over it already.  It was a mistake."
Prez Trump just tried that with the family of the kid the ambassador to the UK's wife ran over. Went over like a lead baloon

Last edited by a moderator:
@gianmarco... The answer to this just came to me while out on a run, so it must be right, right? 

Caveat 1 - if you find out that this is life altering money for you but doesn't send this guy into abject poverty then forget this idea and go improve the life of you children.

Caveat 2 - if the guy voluntarily comes up with a fair deal to make this up to you, take it and everyone is happy.

Otherwise...

The world needs more brotherly love and less eye for an eye, IMO. Continue to find out what is "fair restitution". Once you have that number, go to the guy and make home this offer - instead of suing him for $X that you are sure you can win, tell him he should make a donation for $Y to the charity of your choice, preferably something to help children or the hungry, IMO. Once he agrees, crack open a couple beers, clink glasses and you have a new friend and a funny story about how you met. Oh and have him plant you a new tree that will eventually be a glorious thing. 

The two of you get to do good in the world from a crappy situation and the guy pays his debt. Call me a doormat all you want. It's a good solution.

@gianmarco... The answer to this just came to me while out on a run, so it must be right, right? 

Caveat 1 - if you find out that this is life altering money for you but doesn't send this guy into abject poverty then forget this idea and go improve the life of you children.

Caveat 2 - if the guy voluntarily comes up with a fair deal to make this up to you, take it and everyone is happy.

Otherwise...

The world needs more brotherly love and less eye for an eye, IMO. Continue to find out what is "fair restitution". Once you have that number, go to the guy and make home this offer - instead of suing him for $X that you are sure you can win, tell him he should make a donation for $Y to the charity of your choice, preferably something to help children or the hungry, IMO. Once he agrees, crack open a couple beers, clink glasses and you have a new friend and a funny story about how you met. Oh and have him plant you a new tree that will eventually be a glorious thing. 

The two of you get to do good in the world from a crappy situation and the guy pays his debt. Call me a doormat all you want. It's a good solution.
[hyperaggressive]AND LET HIM GET THE TAX WRITE-OFF?!?111!!?!?[/hyperaggressive]

Otherwise...

This is a good solution if he didn't actually want his trees.   

This was by the NW corner of your house, correct?  He's tearing down the semi-ranch house next door with the unkempt lawn?  (Strava-based research and Google Map views, my friend.)

Being a tree on the north side of your property, you're not losing the shade, which is a good thing.  If you can move beyond the shock effect here, I'd stay strong on the point that he messed up ...but hold that thought for now.  As he gets into construction of a larger, new place, I expect you'll have other battles coming related to the construction.  Even if things go fine, you might want to use this chip (no pun intended) to bargain for some evergreens to better separate your property and view from whatever monstrosity he'll be putting in rather than a single new tree.  I.e., you've got an edge on him here, if the error is verified, so slow-play it and see how construction goes.  Strike one against him.  Spring would be a better time to replant anyway, I'd imagine.  
I need to leave that Strava group.😎

Otherwise...

I completely agree. I'll just donate $15K to charity because that's essentially what you're saying here. 

As a thank you for your idea, I think you should also match that and we can raise all our glasses together.

I completely agree. I'll just donate $15K to charity because that's essentially what you're saying here. 

As a thank you for your idea, I think you should also match that and we can raise all our glasses together.
That is exactly what I'm saying here. Sounds like a plan. 

:hifive:

So weird how many people are willing to just give up their rights.  I’d love to cut down my neighbor’s tree.  Will one of you buy his house?
The more I think about it the more I think it’s crazy some think he should let the neighbor off due to “brotherly” love.

the guy cut down a 50+ year old tree on Gian’s  property that was important to him.  

where was this brotherly love on that?

The more I think about it the more I think it’s crazy some think he should let the neighbor off due to “brotherly” love.

the guy cut down a 50+ year old tree on Gian’s  property that was important to him.  

where was this brotherly love on that?
No kidding. 

All of you brotherly love types: walk out to your yard and look at your largest tree. Now imagine your neighbor walking over with a chainsaw and just cutting it down.

You gonna clink your glass with him and say: “it’s cool man”?

Because that is basically what happened. The dude knew it wasn’t on his property and did it anyway. That makes him a ####, not a neighbor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait to hear neighbors first offer.

Its awesome that you have the arborists and their notes and pics as witnesses to the crime.

Acorns? We’re talking about acorns?! F this guy. He probably even hurt his own property value by taking it down. DB is too nice. Treble damages and don’t look back. 🏠🌳🏡

Not really.  There is also no future cleanup of all those damn pine needles that come every year.  Pine trees suck.
When I bought my house 12 years ago the 1 acre lot had white pines down both sides and the back.  It was March, I thought they looked nice.  Neighbor said the original owner, who was a drunk(not sure why she added that lol) went out on arbor day and got them all for free....so mid 70s.  Then that first October rolled around.  I woke up to a blizzard of falling pine needles.  Within a week I had my friend cutting them down on the one side.  I wanted to cut the other side down too, but the other neighbor said they were half on his side and he liked the birds 😑.  Yeah, I love bird @#$& all over everything too!

Regarding the OP, I have a crimson maple on one side and a sweet gum on the other.  If they were "accidentally" cut down I'd be super pissed.

I knew it sounded shady right from the get go.  I've learned that in this day and age, if it sounds shady, don't give the benefit of the doubt because people are #######s.  And they think they can take advantage of other people's kindness.  
I’m happy to eat crow and admit you’re right about this situation.

But I hate the policy of not giving people the benefit of the doubt - I’d rather be taken advantage of from time to time than have such a cynical view of my fellow man.

Otherwise...

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   wtf dude

Otherwise...

I mean, it's like you're saying to the guy - hey man, thanks for cutting down that tree for me, I realize now I never really liked it in the first place.  You really did me a favor here bud.  Oh, and by the way, how'd ya like to come over later, we'll open a nice bottle of wine from my cellar, clink glases and then we can head to the bedroom and you can cuck my wife in front of me!  YAY NEIGHBOR!!!!

The two main components of tort law are making the aggrieved party as whole as possible and attempting to prevent negligent or bad behavior.
I wasn't contesting what he is entitled to under the law. Like the Iguana, I was asking what he hoped to accomplish in pursuing further action.

No kidding. 

All of you brotherly love types: walk out to your yard and look at your largest tree. Now imagine your neighbor walking over with a chainsaw and just cutting it down.

You gonna clink your glass with him and say: “it’s cool man”?

Because that is basically what happened. The dude knew it wasn’t on his property and did it anyway. That makes him a ####, not a neighbor.
God I wish this would happen.  I refuse to pay the $1400 they want to cut it down

When I first read this, the only thing I could think of was if this line of rationale would work if the neighbor had slept with the OP's wife.  Substitute Wife for Tree.
No, it wouldn't. Despite all the niceties about "being excellent" to one another,  you guys are really pretty obnoxious when disagreement occurs. 

Otherwise...

Doormat alert!

The way I see the shake it off crowd is the same way as the "I drop a 20 for a maid for a one night hotel stay"

Users who are viewing this thread