What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cilantro? Yes or No (1 Viewer)

Cilatro?

• Yes

Votes: 114 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 42 26.9%

• Total voters

John Bender

Footballguy
Is there a more divisive flavor other than "Cilantro" (maybe olives)? Is the hate for a certain taste genetics? How can one person love olives or cilantro and another puke at the smell of them?

I will eat just about anything. I hate olives, love cilantro, can't get enough. 

I'm bored, add this to the Future Wheelhouse Topic thread while we're at it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For 10% of the population, cilantro tastes like soap.  

Actually true....
This is what spawned the question. Just watched the new burger show on First We Feast (youtube channel) and Matty Matheson claims to have the "Cilantro gene" where it tastes like soap. I'm curious about this for almost no reason at all other than boredom. Is there a similar thing with olives because I will eat the droppings of a Republican mongrel before I put an olive in my mouth. 

I used to dislike cilantro, but now I enjoy a healthy pinch of leaves in Asian and Peruvian dishes.

I can't stand cilantro.  It can overpower anything its in to the point I sometimes have to leave off a salsa or guac if it has too much in it.  Terrible taste.....although I don't think I would equate it to soap. 
Yeah, I’m not sure I would describe it as soap, but it’s really astringent like soap for me. A very sharp bitter taste.

This is what spawned the question. Just watched the new burger show on First We Feast (youtube channel) and Matty Matheson claims to have the "Cilantro gene" where it tastes like soap. I'm curious about this for almost no reason at all other than boredom. Is there a similar thing with olives because I will eat the droppings of a Republican mongrel before I put an olive in my mouth. 
I am with you on olives.  I pretended to like them when I was courting my wife because she loves them and I didn't want her to think I was a wuss, but once I slept with her a few times, I stopped eating them.  Hate 'em. 

Cilantro is fine.  I use it sparingly, though I once tried to make pesto with it and it sucked! 

I am with you on olives.  I pretended to like them when I was courting my wife because she loves them and I didn't want her to think I was a wuss, but once I slept with her a few times, I stopped eating them.  Hate 'em. 

Cilantro is fine.  I use it sparingly, though I once tried to make pesto with it and it sucked! 
Ex wife and I did a TON of cooking. She loved olives, I hated them. She hated cilantro, I loved it. I think they're the 2 most divisive flavors in the culinary world. Is there anything close? I'm talking more popular stuff too. Things like liver don't count because it's not often you see it available at a restaurant or in a martini. 

I can't stand cilantro.  It can overpower anything its in to the point I sometimes have to leave off a salsa or guac if it has too much in it.  Terrible taste.....although I don't think I would equate it to soap. 
Me too, I detest it, but I don't think I would describe it as tasting like soap.  I haven't tasted soap since I was a kid, so I could be wrong.  Plus, there's so many flavors of soap these days, it might taste like one of them...

Parsley makes a good substitute when cooking.

I like it.  I use it on tacos sometimes

also coriander = cilantro but my understanding is in America we usually refer to the seeds as coriander and the leaves as cilantro 

I like cilantro, but in small amounts. I don't like when there's too much at it's overpowering.

My wife loves it. Finding a middle ground with her is challenging sometimes.

I like most vegetables, except the stuff most commonly placed on veggie pizza - olives, bell peppers and mushrooms. Don't eat meat either, so I often look like a picky eater, even though I'm not.

Cilantro is great.

Ex wife and I did a TON of cooking. She loved olives, I hated them. She hated cilantro, I loved it. I think they're the 2 most divisive flavors in the culinary world. Is there anything close? I'm talking more popular stuff too. Things like liver don't count because it's not often you see it available at a restaurant or in a martini. 
Maybe spicy peppers? Sardines?

There are people with developed taste buds that dont like cilantro? 
Think you have it wrong here. Those with a higher density of taste receptors are more likely to dislike cilantro because they actually taste aldehydes that others don’t.

“The human tongue contains structures called taste buds within which are larger structures called papillae, whose density on the tongue varies from person to person; people with higher papillae densities and a higher concentration of these protein receptors (or variations of these) may be more sensitive to certain tastes and describe them as soapy or rotten.

Several studies have been done throughout the world to find out the genetics behind the difference in taste perception of coriander leaves. Through these studies, scientists were able to point out the fact that most cilantro haters shared a particular group of olfactory receptor genes called as OR6A2that has the capacity to identify the smell of aldehyde chemicals that are present in coriander leaves as well as soaps. Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) conducted during the studies found that these genes have a high binding specificity for several aldehydes that give cilantro its characteristic odor. Thus, it was concluded that OR6A2 may be the olfactory receptor which contributes to the identification of soapy smell and in turn serves as the root for the soapy taste of cilantro leaves”

I like cilantro and olives. But I like everything.

My wife HATES cilantro. She can’t eat anything that even has a pinch of it. It completely repulses her.

Greatest post party/drunk meal was a taco truck called Dave’s Tacos.  This was almost 25 years ago before every mamajama had a food truck.

“Dave” was actually an Asian guy.  He and his son would change up locations every couple of months.  He was popular enough that his new location would spread like wildfire even in those pre-internet/social media days.

Best damn street tacos to this day.  Beef, chicken, pork, brain...all delicious.  Every taco had Dave’s secret sauce (save it, pervs), onions, and cilantro.  And a couple of lime wedges if that was your thing.

Food of the gods, my friends.

Never liked olives until I had an awesome Bloody Mary. Now I love them, green ones at least.

Was in trial period of making my own salsa with wife as taste tester & we finally hit on cilantro as missing ingredient. Is now part of our herb garden with basil, parsley & mint.

Not sure how olives got into thread but I would straight cilantro leaves over olives any day.

It doesn't taste like soap to me, either.  To me, it has a spiky sort of feeling that I just can't stand.  Cooking it seems to fix that problem.

Use to absolutely hate it. I mean if one little flake got into something I was eating I could immediately tell. However after repeatedly eating it I’ve grown to like it. Weird. I mean I really really hated it. 

I used to dislike cilantro, but now I enjoy a healthy pinch of leaves in Asian and Peruvian dishes.

Use to absolutely hate it. I mean if one little flake got into something I was eating I could immediately tell. However after repeatedly eating it I’ve grown to like it. Weird. I mean I really really hated it. 
Same here couldn't I stand cilantro when I was younger but have recently been able to enjoy it. It gave me the soap taste and everyone I mentioned it to thought I was crazy. I couldn't eat anything with a hint of cilantro. The same thing happened with fresh tomatoes too, but I started enjoying them a couple of decades earlier than cilantro. Our tastebuds change as we age. Canned spinach triggered my gag reflex everytime I was forced to try it as a kid. I'm not sure I want to find out if it still does, YUCK! Fresh spinach I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread