Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
John Bender

Cilantro? Yes or No

Yes or No?  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, Eephus said:

Cilantro has its place. 

Don't like chopping it though.

Try a pizza cutter.  Will change your life (at least your life spent chopping cilantro).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

I recently started putting cilantro in my scrambled eggs, heaven.

that does sound good.

• Like 1

Olives, like a number of food/drink, can be a bit of an acquired taste, IMO. Cilantro has a genetic aspect, as pointed out.

I would be curious to know what percentage of people that don't "taste soap" do not care for cilantro.

Yes, but a small amount goes a long way.  

16 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Exactly this.  

Must be a chick thang.  My wife can't stand it either.  I'm impartial.  It has its place.

I love cilantro and put loads on burritos, bowls etc... I probably use an excessive amount. My wife uses even more than I do. 

18 hours ago, General Malaise said:

How many of us actually know what soap tastes like?  

*raises hand/grew up in the 70s,80s where swear words were punished this way. 

:hey:

I was never even a big swearer, but unfortunately all it took was speaking rudely to my mother.

I never did try Lifebuoy, though.  I think that was before my time.

I buy a fresh bunch at the farmers market each Saturday.

We use it all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jhib said:

:hey:

I was never even a big swearer, but unfortunately all it took was speaking rudely to my mother.

I never did try Lifebuoy, though.  I think that was before my time.

I laughed at my dad once after he washed my mouth out with soap.  Told him it tasted good.  That was a big mistake.  Next time I swore, I got Tabasco Sauce to the tongue.  That wasn't so funny.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Try a pizza cutter.  Will change your life (at least your life spent chopping cilantro).

That's genius!  I never would have considered this, but now....wow, thank you!  

• Like 1

i eat silantro like it is candy brohans that is all i am sayin up in here take that to the bank

At little goes a very long way for me.  I generally don't find it adds a lot personally.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:45 PM, John Bender said:

Ex wife and I did a TON of cooking. She loved olives, I hated them. She hated cilantro, I loved it. I think they're the 2 most divisive flavors in the culinary world. Is there anything close? I'm talking more popular stuff too. Things like liver don't count because it's not often you see it available at a restaurant or in a martini. 

anchovies can polarize an entire dorm.

14 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

A rotary one?

El perro, el perro, es mi corazón,
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
Cilantro es cantante,
Cilantro es muy famoso,
Cilantro es el hombre con el queso del diablo.
El perro, el perro, nunca sin razón,
El gato, el gato, el gato es obsceno.
Cilantro es caliente, Cilantro es cariñoso, Cilantro es nunca sin razón
Cilantro es mejor que su esposo

• Laughing 1

I put it in anything Messican and also in other foods.

9 hours ago, Eephus said:

A rotary one?

Yes, throw the cilantro in a pile and roll away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Bender said:

Are beets divisive? 

not as much as bears or battlestar galatica

• Laughing 1

On 10/15/2019 at 7:39 PM, GroveDiesel said:

Gotta be onions. Lots of people love them and lots hate them and they’re in/on everything.

I'm good with both cilantro and olives but yeah, the thing with onions is like anything else I think in that a little goes a long way.  There are certain types of onions, when they're uncooked/raw, really give me gas and make me bloated to the point of discomfort.  Generally, I don't even notice onions, but I hate when people either don't chop them up finely, don't completely cook them or both - leave giant, raw chunks of onion that just over power everything.  Garlic is kind of the same thing, I love garlic, but man oh man, a little goes a long way. So, for example, everytime I eat at Buca di Beppo, I walk out stuffed but then I immediately feel like I can remove paint off a car with my breath, love their food but my God do I regret it afterwards! :)

2 hours ago, John Bender said:

Are beets divisive? 

For years, I thought I hated beets because when I was served them, my mom opened up a can and plopped them on my plate.  There might have been some sort of cooking method employed, but all I know is I wanted nothing to do with them.

But my wife started roasting them and putting them in salads and guess what?  I LIKE beets after all.  This also applies to brussel sprouts, which my mother boiled until they were grey and forced me to eat.  Wretched, vile weeds.  But you roast those with some balsamic vinegar, little parmesan and we're talking a new ball game entirely.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

For years, I thought I hated beets because when I was served them, my mom opened up a can and plopped them on my plate.  There might have been some sort of cooking method employed, but all I know is I wanted nothing to do with them.

But my wife started roasting them and putting them in salads and guess what?  I LIKE beets after all.  This also applies to brussel sprouts, which my mother boiled until they were grey and forced me to eat.  Wretched, vile weeds.  But you roast those with some balsamic vinegar, little parmesan and we're talking a new ball game entirely.   

This is me. I started getting beets on salads a few years back and now I'm totally fine with them. Even canned are fine on a salad as long as they are diced up. 

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:
4 hours ago, John Bender said:

Are beets divisive? 

brussel sprouts which me and mine call brosprouts are awesome i like to cook them like this you take a bunch of bacon i use more than i probably should but hey its fn bacon then you put in some butter and and some onions and a bunch of brosprouts you cut in half you do that up with some salt in a pan fry it up and its so danged good i bet you would love it take that to the bank brosproutos 

Edited by SWC
  • Like 1

For brussels, I love buying them pre shaven down. Cooking til crisp, remove from pan, sear some scallops and serve them over the brussels. Top with a little balsamic glaze. One of my favorite meals. 

• Thanks 1

Roasted brussels sprouts with garlic, rosemary and olive oil is also really good.

On 10/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, General Malaise said:

For 10% of the population, cilantro tastes like soap.  

Actually true....

I taste soap when I drink Belgian-style ales, for days.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, NutterButter said:

ketchup seems pretty divisive.   And cilantro is a must in pico de gallo.

Precisely!

Most divisive food:  Goat Cheese   WTF!!! Disgusting!

33 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Precisely!

Most divisive food:  Goat Cheese   WTF!!! Disgusting!

This place by me serves fried breaded goat cheese balls in a steak salad.  They really go well with the  salad.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, SWC said:

i eat silantro like it is candy brohans that is all i am sayin up in here take that to the bank

Silantro is in Manila. You can take those corianders to the bank.

Edited by Phil Elliott

48 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Liverwurst is probably divisive

More for me then.

• Like 1

Beets, Brussels sprouts and goat cheese are scrumtastic.

Bacon is probably the most highly overrated food. Stop ruining my scallops and Brussels sprouts with it. Same goes for prosciutto, lardons and any other pretentious lunchmeat. I can add salt on my own, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

i like mushrooms take that to the bank bromigos

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, John Bender said:

Are beets divisive? 

All beets taste like dirt. Period. One of the few veggies I refuse to eat.

Olives, OTOH, are great. All of em.

Edited by Wingnut