What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We have 2 dogs: One is smart, one... well, not so much (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
We have two corgis.  A 2 year old female named Charlotte.  And an 8 month old male named Chase.  Charlotte is one of the smartest dogs I know.  I taught her how to high five in about an hour.  Although, I kind of regret that because now anytime she wants what you're eating, she's constantly trying to give high fives.  And instead of being like, "Don't leave me hanging, bro!", she'll eventually start to high five your face until you acknowledge her.  She's also great at catching things.  I can take a piece of food and flick it off my plate like a Nolan Ryan heater, and she'll snag it out of the air from a foot away.  It's crazy.  I've intentionally tried to see if I could get it past her, and she can almost always snag it.  Her mouth/eye coordination is off the charts.  And her favorite activity is playing tug o war.  We grab a toy and she'll use her whole body to generate so much power.  I mean, she's like 18 pounds, but could probably pull a fire engine like Magnus ver Magnusson.  Friends and family come over and she'll bring the toy over in her mouth and growl at them and they'd be like, "Ohh, little puppy wants to play with the toy?"  I tell them that she's stronger than she looks and they laugh only to have the toy ripped out of their hands.  It's impressive.  

Then we have Chase.  So stupid.  I love him, but he's a moron.  I throw him some food and it hits him in the face.  The other day, I tossed him some cupcake icing and it landed in between his eyes and stuck.  He proceeded to walk around in circles trying to bite the air.  Finally, Charlotte came over and ate it off his face.  He knows no tricks and really only recognizes his name.  She's tried to teach him tug o war, but he's to busy trying to eat the toy than to pull on it.  Although, she has had a lot of patience and it seems like she's finally starting to make some headway.  It truly is amazing to see how she takes her time with him trying to get him to understand the game.  

But my favorite thing is when we go to eat dinner or some food.  She sees me with a plate and will go grab a toy that they both fight over and squeak it away from me.  He then runs over, she pretends to struggle with him, then lets him win.  At that point, she runs over to me with the food while he's occupied with the toy.  She's evil smart.  :lol:

Anyway, no real big finish to this story.  But would love to hear about other smart/dumb dog stories if you got them.  I'm working a half day today and I'm bored.

We've got 3 currently.  The oldest is a 14yo chocolate lab and is over playing games.  She's half blind and nearly deaf and she'll flat out do whatever she wants because she knows she can get away with it.  If she wants a bone another dog has, she takes it and if the other dog snaps, she ignores it and walks away with the bone.  If she wants to get up on the couch, she doesn't even wait for you to leave the room, she just does it.  She was my first dog and it's going to be real tough on me when she dies.  She's definitely "my dog" and is more attached to me than anyone else.

The next oldest is 4 and the smartest dog I've ever had.  She's a 45lb black lab/pit mix and does not lose tug of war (she drags our neighbors great dane around the house playing tug of war).  Our dogs have tons of toys in the house and you can tell her to go get whichever one you want her to get.  She knows the difference between ball, rope, bone (a big rubber kong bone), frisbee, and stuffy (her teddy bear), and blanket.  She can actually tuck herself in with her blanket.

She's also completely addicted to playing ball and constantly brings you anything shaped anywhere near a sphere, drops it on you, and stares at it until you throw it for her.  When she does it she looks so intent on the ball that you can tell it's the most important thing in her world.  I guarantee if our house was on fire and she had the chance to save me or her tennis ball, I'd be roasted.  However, if you want to stop playing you just have to tell her, "I'm gonna put it up" and she'll walk away with her ball so you don't put it up.  Just incredibly smart.

Our third dog (a 9 month old lab/Rottweiler mix)on the other hand, we call "Mr. C+".  He's just average at everything.  Average smarts, size, strength, speed, agility, you name it.  My son (8yo) has nicknamed him Lummox.  When he tries to lick you, he pushes his snout against you with a good amount of force then forces his tongue out.  The best is watching him try to pick something small up off the floor (kibble, treat, whatever) because he slams his face against the floor and pushes with ferocity until he manages to pick it up. 

He's almost a year old now and still can't figure out how to catch his tail, or that his tail belongs to him.  He'll also bite his feet if they get too close to a toy he's chewing on.  When he drinks, he drinks so hard that he flings a line of water over his face and head, straight down his back.  It's like someone took a squirt gun and put a perfectly straight line from his shoulders to his tail. 

The other day, I tossed him some cupcake icing and it landed in between his eyes and stuck.  He proceeded to walk around in circles trying to bite the air. 
This made me literally LOL.  

My dog is smart as hell, but then again she's a black lab and they're known to be pretty trainable/smart.  Poor girl, though, is getting older.  She pretty much just lays around and has trouble getting up due to degenerative hips.  She gets all pumped up when it's time to eat and will try to do tricks she knows for treats, but has trouble doing them.  

We have two corgis.  A 2 year old female named Charlotte.  And an 8 month old male named Chase.  Charlotte is one of the smartest dogs I know.  I taught her how to high five in about an hour.  Although, I kind of regret that because now anytime she wants what you're eating, she's constantly trying to give high fives.  And instead of being like, "Don't leave me hanging, bro!", she'll eventually start to high five your face until you acknowledge her.  She's also great at catching things.  I can take a piece of food and flick it off my plate like a Nolan Ryan heater, and she'll snag it out of the air from a foot away.  It's crazy.  I've intentionally tried to see if I could get it past her, and she can almost always snag it.  Her mouth/eye coordination is off the charts.  And her favorite activity is playing tug o war.  We grab a toy and she'll use her whole body to generate so much power.  I mean, she's like 18 pounds, but could probably pull a fire engine like Magnus ver Magnusson.  Friends and family come over and she'll bring the toy over in her mouth and growl at them and they'd be like, "Ohh, little puppy wants to play with the toy?"  I tell them that she's stronger than she looks and they laugh only to have the toy ripped out of their hands.  It's impressive.  

Then we have Chase.  So stupid.  I love him, but he's a moron.  I throw him some food and it hits him in the face.  The other day, I tossed him some cupcake icing and it landed in between his eyes and stuck.  He proceeded to walk around in circles trying to bite the air.  Finally, Charlotte came over and ate it off his face.  He knows no tricks and really only recognizes his name.  She's tried to teach him tug o war, but he's to busy trying to eat the toy than to pull on it.  Although, she has had a lot of patience and it seems like she's finally starting to make some headway.  It truly is amazing to see how she takes her time with him trying to get him to understand the game.  

But my favorite thing is when we go to eat dinner or some food.  She sees me with a plate and will go grab a toy that they both fight over and squeak it away from me.  He then runs over, she pretends to struggle with him, then lets him win.  At that point, she runs over to me with the food while he's occupied with the toy.  She's evil smart.  :lol:

Anyway, no real big finish to this story.  But would love to hear about other smart/dumb dog stories if you got them.  I'm working a half day today and I'm bored.
may i interest you in a Swedish Vallhund (dba Wolf Corgi)?

no idea how smart, but looks cool as hell.

I've only ever had 2 dogs.  My first was a Great Pyrenees/Samoyed mix.  Incredible dog.  One of the smartest dogs I've ever met.  Figured out how to open the door to the backyard.  It was one of these styles.  Learned after the first time he did it that we got mad if he left it open, so would open it, then close it himself.  Super strong dog.  Would literally pull grown men off their chair while playing tug.  Was also super affectionate.  Loved to hug/cuddle.  Would lay with his head on my lap on the couch all day if allowed.  Was a really hard day when we found out he had cancer.  Choosing to put him to sleep was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

Current dog is a Husky.  It was my sister's dog, but she moved to a new city and couldn't find a decent apartment that allowed big dogs, so I inherited him.  He's an idiot.  Really, truly an idiot.  I have a door in my house that isn't level.  It closes itself.  My previous dog got stuck in there once.  Once.  After that he never went back into that room(it's just a storage closet.)  This Husky gets stuck in that room almost every day.  And you know because he howls at the top of his lungs in the most offkey, horrible sounding howl you've ever heard.  He also hates hugs/cuddling.  He'll let you hug him for about 1.2 seconds then shoves against your chest with both front paws and takes off at a sprint that usually culminates with him running head first into a wall.  He's literally the biggest derp I've ever seen.  Still, I've had him for a little over 4 years now and love him for what he is.  

Users who are viewing this thread