What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Lazard, NYJ (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
How is there no dedicated thread about this dude after he went 4/5/65/1 in a single qtr, during a primetime comeback, while the rest of his WR competition on a 5-1 team with a still slingling HOF QB is either bummy or turf toed?

Sharkpool, you are slippin'.

Absolute must grab IMO, if he's still available for you this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked better than MVS and he was actually getting looks unlike those other WR's in GB not named Adams. He is on my short list of pick ups this week in deeper leagues. 

Reminds me of Marcus Colston. Haven't comp'd measurables or anything other than eye testing the highlights, so salt grain, but still. Even if he can be a homeless Colston, ARod is starving right now for a homeless Colston.

Shark move was to not discuss him until waivers run.

Waiver position 12 of 12 in both leagues that haven't run so I'm not getting him, anyway. Definitely top priority with the WR core injured and, frankly, rather unimpressive behind Adams. 

FBG weekly rankings and top 200 behind as well.

Debating on dropping Corey Davis for him, I own Adams and MVS and actually been starting MVS.

That was a key play, but Lazard’s 35-yard touchdown catch was his biggest and was a display of an uncommon level of trust in a player with so little playing time. Or it was a huge risk by Rodgers, depending on how you look at it. Because it came on a third-and-5 with a little more than nine minutes to play, and Rodgers, down by nine, decided to forego a short throw that would have kept the chains moving and went for the big play instead.

The quarterback dropped a perfect throw to Lazard over cornerback Justin Coleman, and Lazard made the contested over-the-shoulder catch that brought the Packers to within one score.

Later, on the game-winning drive, Lazard converted a first down with a 12-yard catch off a Rodgers scramble and throw. There was also a three-yard hitch, then the big 15-yard out pattern in front of Coleman just after the two-minute warning that put the Packers in scoring position at the 22. That basically was the play that won the game, because it put the Packers in field-goal position.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/10/15/green-bay-packers-allen-lazard-receiver/3984050002/

Rodgers best Lions game Q4 throws, including several to Lazard:

https://www.packers.com/video/aaron-rodgers-best-throws-of-fourth-quarter-week-6

“There are a lot of guys with legitimate shots to make the team – some guys who you didn’t maybe think of before camp who have had incredible camps. And I’m talking about, specifically, Allen Lazard,” Rodgers said at the time. “He’s had a really nice camp, he’s made a bunch of plays. He’s always showing up on special teams. He does things the right way in practice. I think he’s put himself in position to legitimately be playing for all 32 teams. And we see that from time to time, the cliché that you’re always playing for the entire NFL, and that is true to a point if you’re good enough, and Allen is definitely good enough to be an NFL player. I think he’s had a fantastic training camp.”

“It starts with his preparation and the way he practices,” Rodgers said after the [Lions] game. “He’s put together an impressive streak. He was definitely a little disappointed to be released at the end of training camp, but he was back with us quickly and never let it affect his performance. I actually sit next to him in the team meetings and we’ve struck up a pretty good friendship. The thing that got me was, which you love as a quarterback, and that’s receivers coming back and telling you he wants the ball and what routes he wants to run. The big first down we had to him on the out route, that was him coming back to the huddle and telling me what play he wanted. For a young guy to do that, how can you not have confidence in that? So, Matt (LaFleur) was between one of two plays, I said go with the first one because I’m going to throw it to Allen and we’re going to move the sticks, and we did.”
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/aaron-rodgers-suggestion-gives-allen-lazard-chance-to-be-hero-for-green-bay-packers/

Packers beat on Rodgers/Lizard King relationship:

https://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2019/10/15/packers-allen-lazard-difference-maker-win-over-lions/3983195002/

Lizard King college highlights:

https://www.patriots.com/video/college-highlights-allen-lazard-wr-iowa-state-327106

:Ear to the ground. Hand on the wire:  :ph34r:

Packers WR Allen Lazard caught 4-of-5 targets for 65 yards and one touchdown in the Week 6 win over the Lions Monday night.

Lazard did all of his damage in the fourth quarter after Geronimo Allison left with a concussion and chest injury. Allison's initial replacement in three-wide sets, Darrius Shepherd, was quickly benched after muffing a punt then dropping a pass at the goal line that ended up an interception. Lazard has tantalizing traits at 6'5/227 with 4.55 wheels and was leaned on heavily by Aaron Rodgers late in the comeback "win," though Lazard's touchdown never should have been due to a phantom illegal hands to the face penalty called on Lions DE Trey Flowers that should have led to a fourth-down punt. Still, Lazard showed big upside and has Rodgers' eye now. If Allison and Davante Adams (toe) remain out, Lazard could be in for big things Week 7 against the Raiders.

Oct 14, 2019, 11:42 PM ET

Rodgers targeting hin like that, and his post game comments make Lazard a must add.

There was also some preseason buzz if I recall correctly, 

I'm trying to add him everyone I can afford the FAAB to get him. 

Copying/pasting some selections from this article:

Lazard followed in the Cyclone footsteps of his father and brother, becoming a four-year starter and one of the most decorated receivers in program history. He finished as Iowa State’s all-time leader in receptions (241) and receiving yards (3,360). Lazard returned punts for three years but rarely played on the Cyclones’ coverage units.

It seemed so likely that Lazard was going to become Iowa State's first draft pick since 2014 that he held a draft party not far from Jack Trice Stadium. More than 150 of his family, friends and coaches were at the restaurant to watch it unfold.

Two days before the draft began, Mike Mayock ranked Lazard the 80th best player among the 2018 prospects. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both had Lazard projected to get drafted on the draft's third day.

When asked at what point he realized his size could be an asset as a receiver, Lazard jokes, “Probably third grade.” To that point, a handful of NFL teams in the pre-draft process even talked with Lazard about possibly moving to tight end. His agent told him there were teams interested in Lazard but the teams didn’t know where Lazard fit in. He ended up agreeing to a UDFA deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars for $40,000.

lots of people in dynasty burned alot of bb bux on this guy
He went for a ton in my leagues. That WR corps is horrible after Adams, so I think it was smart.  I upped my bid in the leagues that run waivers later to at least get a piece of it. 

Between Rodgers specifically mentioning him and the fact that the rest of the WRs there have been horrible all year I think it's worth a shot.  He could be the next nobody turned star WR in Green Bay, following in the footsteps of Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, and Donald Driver. 

Copying/pasting some selections from this article:

Lazard followed in the Cyclone footsteps of his father and brother, becoming a four-year starter and one of the most decorated receivers in program history. He finished as Iowa State’s all-time leader in receptions (241) and receiving yards (3,360). Lazard returned punts for three years but rarely played on the Cyclones’ coverage units.

It seemed so likely that Lazard was going to become Iowa State's first draft pick since 2014 that he held a draft party not far from Jack Trice Stadium. More than 150 of his family, friends and coaches were at the restaurant to watch it unfold.

Two days before the draft began, Mike Mayock ranked Lazard the 80th best player among the 2018 prospects. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both had Lazard projected to get drafted on the draft's third day.

When asked at what point he realized his size could be an asset as a receiver, Lazard jokes, “Probably third grade.” To that point, a handful of NFL teams in the pre-draft process even talked with Lazard about possibly moving to tight end. His agent told him there were teams interested in Lazard but the teams didn’t know where Lazard fit in. He ended up agreeing to a UDFA deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars for $40,000.
Punt returner, eh?

This is a kid who has now been rejected by the NFL three times (cut twice) and went undrafted in front of his entire circle of friends and family, despite being led to believe otherwise by the pre-draft process.

This is one very hungry hippo. And he may have just cut to the front of the Aaron Rodgers buffet.

I tend to be a pessimist, but I can’t help but wonder why he hasn’t played before this? 

The guys that have been playing in front of him aren’t exactly pro bowlers
It's a great question. Sometimes it's a matter of players being gamers, rather than practice superstars. Sometimes it's a matter of tenure. Sometimes it's a matter of lacking specific traits to fit the offense, as it stood prior to the breakout (e.g. - high-end speed opposite Adams). Often/usually it's simply because the backup isn't very good.

I'm seeing enough circumstantial evidence here to warrant risking big FAAB on the kid. Could it go craps? For sure. But if the talent can even come close to matching the opportunity and motivation, we could have an Aaron Rodgers ROS red-zone threat at minimum, or potentially a league changer at your WR3 (or Flex) in the sky-pie scenario (i.e. dare I say, Colston's rookie year PPG numbers). 

Also really loved this part:

“A lot of ups and downs, for sure,” he said. “Obviously, having some friends get drafted today was really nice. Obviously, I’m happy for their success. But going into this, I was very anxious, very ambitious and (hopeful). I’m very let down and disappointed at the way the result came out today, but this is nothing new to my life. I’ve always been the kid from Iowa who wasn’t good enough to play college football. Now that I went to Iowa State, (it was) 'Iowa State will never be good.' Now I’m that kid that’s undrafted."
Humble on the rumble. Finds the positive, for himself and also for others. I hope he smashes, not just to help my fantasy teams, but b/c I love seeing good dudes make it big.

It's a great question. Sometimes it's a matter of players being gamers, rather than practice superstars. Sometimes it's a matter of tenure. Sometimes it's a matter of lacking specific traits to fit the offense, as it stood prior to the breakout (e.g. - high-end speed opposite Adams). Often/usually it's simply because the backup isn't very good.

I'm seeing enough circumstantial evidence here to warrant risking big FAAB on the kid. Could it go craps? For sure. But if the talent can even come close to matching the opportunity and motivation, we could have an Aaron Rodgers ROS red-zone threat at minimum, or potentially a league changer at your WR3 (or Flex) in the sky-pie scenario (i.e. dare I say, Colston's rookie year PPG numbers). 
Thanks

I play in three leagues all redraft. 

2 are really competitive, 1 is but not as much 

Oddly enough he was added in the latter last night but is just sitting there in the other 2 

:oldunsure:

Thanks

Oddly enough he was added in the latter last night but is just sitting there in the other 2 

If you have a replacement level K/TE/QB/WR4-5/RB4-5, I'd drop that player for Lizard King now and figure it out later this week when you have more time to digest the situation fully. The radar isn't up yet, but all it'll take is one Matthew Berry(ish) podcast segment this week to snipe your chance.

Thanks

He is sitting there in 2 of my redrafts also.   I think the community(like me) is wondering whether he can overtake Geronimo or MVS?  Very tough for the 3rd receiver to make a lot of noise on a constant basis.  IMO.    If he cracks the starting lineup then I'm in.  We don't know that yet & with a short bench it is risky.  Also IMO.

He is sitting there in 2 of my redrafts also.   I think the community(like me) is wondering whether he can overtake Geronimo or MVS?  Very tough for the 3rd receiver to make a lot of noise on a constant basis.  IMO.    If he cracks the starting lineup then I'm in.  We don't know that yet & with a short bench it is risky.  Also IMO.
If you wait to see if Lazard cracks the starting lineup, he may be snapped up. This is more of a pre-emptive add, before he has broad appeal to the masses.

He went for a ton in my leagues. That WR corps is horrible after Adams, so I think it was smart.  I upped my bid in the leagues that run waivers later to at least get a piece of it. 

Between Rodgers specifically mentioning him and the fact that the rest of the WRs there have been horrible all year I think it's worth a shot.  He could be the next nobody turned star WR in Green Bay, following in the footsteps of Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, and Donald Driver. 
Clearly worth a speculative add just in case, especially this late in the season.

But the “Rodgers talks him up, great preseason” lines I’m reading in this thread are shockingly similar to what everyone was saying a year ago about Jake Kumerow.

Maybe Lazard is the next James Jones, but he could also be the next Bill Schroeder or Jeff Janis.

Clearly worth a speculative add just in case, especially this late in the season.

But the “Rodgers talks him up, great preseason” lines I’m reading in this thread are shockingly similar to what everyone was saying a year ago about Jake Kumerow.
Yes

Made little sense to me that he went undrafted. Guy was a high level performer as a Sophomore and Junior, only slipped his Senior year due to the emergence of Butler. Early breakout, high production, above average athlete and a red zone weapon. His profile is the best on the Packers outside of Adams. Thought he would never get his shot. Was last man standing holding him in a few weeks and let go after his snaps dropped after the Adams injury. Now I’m kicking myself.

Got outbid for him in dynasty which sucks but he didn't even get bid on in some of my 12 team start 3WR + flex  leagues which I found pretty interesting. I was happy to scoop him up in a few leagues. Worst case he's a decent streaming option this week, best case is another good game that earns him a role during the rest of the season. 

Picked him up in redraft and stuck him right in the lineup. With Godwin, Landry and McCafrey on a bye  I’m expecting a loss anyway. I’ll try the lotto ticket. 

Picked him up in redraft and stuck him right in the lineup. With Godwin, Landry and McCafrey on a bye  I’m expecting a loss anyway. I’ll try the lotto ticket. 
Same. 

I’ve got Godwin, Conner, Juju and an injured DeVante Adams and Hollywood Brown.

Also expecting a loss, but Lazard and Auden Tate will be rounding out my ragtag lineup this week. 

Looks like Kamara is going to be out as well, if that’s the case - fml and on to week 8

On my taxi from last season and I think he has a shot but he's in the "i'll believe it when I see it" category in terms of actually getting consistent playing time. The Rodgers enthusiasm is important but he's had good things to say at various times about a number of their WRs. Hopefully this is different because Lazard is a real talent and brings a different skill set to some of those other guys. 

I think last year he fell victim to the NFL trend toward smaller WRs (see Auden Tate also perhaps) and I tend to think that was why he wasn't drafted. It couldn't be because of his production or measurables, which were both fine. I was hoping the Jags might convert him to TE last year but that didn't happen and they ended up waiving him. It's great that he's finally getting a shot, even if it took a bunch of injuries. He played well in preseason so I don't know what the GB coaches were looking at or what the point of preseason is if you don't play guys who perform.

With Adams and Allison likely out this week, he has a big opportunity. With a big game, he could go past Kumerow at least, and possibly MVS in the pecking order. I'll be watching keenly. 

(I think Colston is a good comp for him).

Maybe Lazard is the next James Jones, but he could also be the next Bill Schroeder or Jeff Janis.
I don't think Kumerow or Janis ever had a real breakout game in the regular season other than Janis catching that hail Mary?  If he's Schroeder that's pretty good.  Schroeder had 2 1000 yard seasons (OK 1 was 999) and another with over 900 yards. I guess it was during his WR prime though and not at Lazards age. 

Other than that I agree generally, he's a long shot.  It's a high upside low floor lottery ticket for sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I added him as well and might start him as I am a big underdog and playing against P. Mahomes.  Also have OBJ, DJ. Moore and D. Johnson on bye so I might be starting A. Lazard and Tate at WR and D. Henderson at FLEX :lol:  

Kumerow, MVS, Allison, ESB all jaggy jags. Maybe MVS might eventually carve into more, but definitely has not yet.

Lazard may ultimately prove just as jaggy, but unlike the rest of that motley crew, he actually showed a glimpse of being more than a JAG. Granted it was one quarter against a D who didn't even know his name, but still 5 targets and ~15 fantasy points in that one quarter, combined with mad love from the walking HOFer QB, a brand new coaching staff, and a complete disaster between health and performance across the remainder of the WR room.

Did anyone else notice the look Rodgers gave the sideline after the TD to Lizard King? It looked like a huge 'I ####### told you so' scowl at someone. Makes me think that night wasn't the first time ARod lobbied to get Lazard on the field.

Lost Cooper, Dissly and Gordon same week so I needed a Hail Mary, I also was reading that Rodgers told the sidelines to get this guy up and out on the field...we could have a whole conversation about who is running things in Green Bay but Rodgers seems to understand exactly what this guy can do and what he does to make the offense go. 

No miracles expected but the WR2 role on this team seems up for grabs and at 6-5/230, Graham has dropped a few lately, maybe Rodgers needs him for Red Zone especially. 

Make room for me on the bus, thanks. 

Paid a decent price, but I'm on board now.  I think he will have another good with the rest of the group banged up. 

Jordy Nelson 2.0.

Even when all the others return to health I can easily see him getting Jimmy Grahams red zone opportunities. Rodgers confidence makes a receiver, and this kid just may have it.

I added him as well and might start him as I am a big underdog and playing against P. Mahomes.  Also have OBJ, DJ. Moore and D. Johnson on bye so I might be starting A. Lazard and Tate at WR and D. Henderson at FLEX :lol:  
Au or Golden?

Jordy Nelson 2.0.

Even when all the others return to health I can easily see him getting Jimmy Grahams red zone opportunities. Rodgers confidence makes a receiver, and this kid just may have it.
He is 6-5, and he got rocked pretty good on the play right before Rodgers hit him for the TD...I would have liked to have been one of the other 9 in the huddle listening in. "Allen, we're going right back up top and stick it up their bleeping bleep!" I understand the Detroit penalty nullified for many however it was still one helluva play. 

Reminds me of Marcus Colston. Haven't comp'd measurables or anything other than eye testing the highlights, so salt grain, but still. Even if he can be a homeless Colston, ARod is starving right now for a homeless Colston.
Funny no one else has mentioned this yet, but his Player Profiler page has Colston as the top comp. 

As an Adams owner, I am tempted (tempted) to start the Lazard King over Melvin Gordon this week (facing 1st place team... need a home run).

Just hoping he's not the latest flavor of Shark Pool Kool-Aid (Thompson, Ross, Pettis, etc.).

Kumerow, MVS, Allison, ESB all jaggy jags. Maybe MVS might eventually carve into more, but definitely has not yet.
MVS has the most fools gold profile I thought. People stare down that 4.3 but his production in college just wasn’t there and any of it that did come, came at an advanced age.

Users who are viewing this thread