What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

17 game regular season......not sure how I feel about that! (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
“Goodell confirms 17-game regular season is a part of CBA talks. Says they’d still start the week after Labor Day, but play longer into February.”

Tex

The players will want things of their own, starting with a bigger piece of the pie. The players and fans don't really love the preseason, but the league and teams currently extort full ticket price for two more home games from season ticket holders the way things are now. Many of the players that see a lot of playing time in the preseason don't stick in the league, so not sure why the "regular" roster of players cares all that much. If they are concerned about injuries, they could just as easily get hurt in training camp than in the few live snaps they see in preseason games. I am sure there are plenty of other hot topic items from the players side (drug testing, franchise tags, "real" guaranteed money in contracts, player fines and suspensions, etc.).

Just stop NFL. Stop changturbating. Nothing summarizes the NFL stepping on it's own :pickle:  more than the new onside kick rules. This is more of that. At least in their defense they are doing 17 games for more money. The onside kick rule they are just trying to prevent more lawsuits while making the game less fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prob will happen one way or another. Maybe one game outside US for each team? Maybe 2 bye weeks? That would mess with fantasy...

I'm a huge fan of this, actually. Play the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend, so they don't have to move the game from a Sunday and most of us get Monday off 👍
By the same token a lot of people travel that weekend so they could lose out on a lot of casual fans.

Prob will happen one way or another. Maybe one game outside US for each team? Maybe 2 bye weeks? That would mess with fantasy...
2 bye weeks has been the proposal.  Also a limit on how many games any individual player can participate in.

2 bye weeks has been the proposal.  Also a limit on how many games any individual player can participate in.
This is about as stupid a rule As I’ve heard - in ANY sport. 

(the only one potentially more stupid that comes to mind is changing baseball from all players have to play bat and play defense to the watered downed excuse of a position known as DH).

Ok, even THAT isn’t as stupid a rule. 

Get rid of 2 preseason games, add 1 regular season game plus a 2nd bye week for each team, and get rid of Thursday Night games.
What if Thursday night games featured both teams coming off byes? IMO, that would dramatically improve the quality of play and make the games watchable. Teams would get 11 days on the front end and 10 days on the back end to prepare for their next game.

Ahh I see.  That would work pretty well for the double bye 17 game season. 

I think players would prefer having two byes to recover after games start though.

I like going back to a two-bye season.  It sucks for fantasy, but it's good for the league.

#### the thing about putting players on a game count.  That's a terrible idea.

Fewer preseason games is awesome.

I'm in the minority on this, but I love winter games. January and February games are fine by me.  I would love to see an outdoor February playoff game up north.  That is fantastic television, even if you would need be dressed for it if you're sitting in the stands. (I've sat through outdoor games in approximately-zero temps and I feel that I am an expert in dressing for this sort of occasion, which lessens my fan sympathy.)

Please, not an odd number of games.  This current rotation is great.  Don't mess it up.

So stupid. I am reminded of Mark Cuban's quote, "I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." This is a step in making that prediction come to fruition.

This is about as stupid a rule As I’ve heard - in ANY sport. 

(the only one potentially more stupid that comes to mind is changing baseball from all players have to play bat and play defense to the watered downed excuse of a position known as DH).

Ok, even THAT isn’t as stupid a rule. 
Already been done, though. 

1993 NFL Schedule - every NFL team had two bye weeks.   This was implemented under Paul Tagliabue, long before Roger.   

I detest the notion of a -7 game season.

players get hurt enough. Adding a game won’t help that.

plus when you consider the nature of the league, one with haves & have-nots, the idea of one more game out of WAS, MIA, CIN, etc, using this year as an example. 

they need fewer, not more games. Kill 2 preseason games. Let teams scrimmage & jump right to week 3 & week 4.

The. NFL’s suggestion that eliminating preseason helps is preposterous since starters hardly play except game 3.  

Already been done, though. 

1993 NFL Schedule - every NFL team had two bye weeks.   This was implemented under Paul Tagliabue, long before Roger.   
I don’t have an issue with two byes, but rather the limit to how often a player can suit up for a game. 

What if Thursday night games featured both teams coming off byes? IMO, that would dramatically improve the quality of play and make the games watchable. Teams would get 11 days on the front end and 10 days on the back end to prepare for their next game.
I like it.  But you can't have byes the first couple or last couple weeks of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread