What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elijah Cummings has passed at 68 (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
Health complications.

BALTIMORE — Congressman Elijah Cummings died on Thursday morning, according to an official from his office.

Congressman Cummings passed away at Johns Hopkins hospital due to complications concerning longstanding health challenges.

He has represented Maryland's 7th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1966. Before then he served 14 years in the Maryland House of Delegates. During his tenure he made history as the first African American in Maryland to be named Speaker Pro Tem. 

I didn't know anything really about him until i read up on his life this morning. He did a lot of things, he earned and worked hard from what I read. RIP

Hard to overstate the impact of this on Baltimore. He was a giant - a player on the national stage, yet very much dedicated to his constituents and community. He came home every night, and was in church like usual the day all the Trump "rat-infested" neighborhood stuff blew up. There was no one that didn't respect him - even Trump! Elijah was a true public servant and he worked himself into an early grave. 

BALTIMORE — Congressman Elijah Cummings died on Thursday morning, according to an official from his office.

Congressman Cummings passed away at Johns Hopkins hospital due to complications concerning longstanding health challenges.

He has represented Maryland's 7th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1966. Before then he served 14 years in the Maryland House of Delegates. During his tenure he made history as the first African American in Maryland to be named Speaker Pro Tem. 
Max Power, where did this article come from? They made a typo -- should be "1996". Cummings was 15 years old in 1966.

RIP to The Honorable Elijah Cummings.

Max Power, where did this article come from? They made a typo -- should be "1996". Cummings was 15 years old in 1966.

RIP to The Honorable Elijah Cummings.
A regional news outlet in NC. It was only a couple minutes after being announced. Good catch. 

No disrespect to the passing, but I'm ignorant to the process. What happens now for his seat? 

How soon will it be filled?

Maryland's Governor has 2 options:

1. special election (primaries in December, general election in February). However, since this seat is up for re-election in 2020, that means that the winner of the special election would have to turn right around and run for office again -- with the primary in April.

2. wait for standard election (primaries in April, general election in November).

Maryland's Governor has 2 options:

1. special election (primaries in December, general election in February). However, since this seat is up for re-election in 2020, that means that the winner of the special election would have to turn right around and run for office again -- with the primary in April.

2. wait for standard election (primaries in April, general election in November).
So vacant until 2020 seems to be the most likely? 

I hope the next official has positive impacts. 

So vacant until 2020 seems to be the most likely? 

I hope the next official has positive impacts. 
Today the scuttlebutt is that they would have the special primary election to complete Cummings' 2019-20 term on the same day in April as the regularly scheduled primary for the 2020 election. And then the special general election would follow 65 days later. That would mean 7th District residents cast 2 votes in the April primary - one for the candidate to complete Cummings' current term, and one for the candidate who would fill the next full term starting in January 2021. Presumably that would be the same person, but you never know. Maybe his wife (Exec Director of the Maryland Democratic Party) would run to complete his current term but not enter her name into the 2020 regular election. 

RIP. I was educated on this very board about his role in the civil rights movement. Taught me a bit of humility. That's probably how I'll remember him, fairly or not, in a bit of a selfish way.

Users who are viewing this thread