What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where were you 30 years ago? (2 Viewers)

Then I was probably in my house watching the world series
Yeah, I guess I was trying to, too.   :shrug:   (I mean in my house, not yours.)  This didn't really register to me in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a roommate tell me she was in a parking lot, nothing around her. The pavement was heaving like taking deep breaths in and out and tearing apart. She thought she was a gonner. Just held on and got real lucky.

Wearing a stupid sweater vest with a stupid haircut. 

Probably wearing Boz style jerseys on the weekends. 

The world series was cancelled that evening and took place at a later date once the stadium was deemed safe.
Yeah but there was a game about to happen when it hit. The pregame show was on and the announcers felt it.

You asked where we were.   That's what I was watching when it happened :)

CurlyNight said:
At least you're going to the only city here that didn't get pge shut off alerts. So no worries there. Our new normal includes pge shutting power off to help prevent fires rather than replacing their 20th century equipment. 🙄
It has nothing to do with "20th century equipment"; trees fall over and take down trees and wires made last year.

That night 30 years ago, I was living in a rented house outside of Denton, MD. I was doing something around the house waiting for the game to start.

Ilov80s said:
Living at my parents house and totally dependent on them- it was a tough time. Nobody would hire me for a job even if I had the slightest desire to find one. I was going to school but just some general level classes, nothing specific as I had no clue what to do with my life. Honestly, if it wasn't for my parents then, I might not be here today. 
I can't tell if this is a serious sob story or if you are implying that you were only like 10 years old or something.  

I was living on the corner of Euclid and Arguello at the time.  Was at the counter of a Footlocker (on Clement) purchasing a pair of shoes when the quake hit.  It seemed to take a long time, and I distinctly remember the entire street going up and down like a wave..cars bouncing off the ground.  I was just stuck in my tracks, but I do remember a dude yelling ‘get out’, as we were on the first floor of an older, multi level building.  He jumped through the opening where a large glass wall had just shattered, but I couldn’t move.  It was eerie that night as people were partying everywhere in the dark.  A couple months later I moved to Kauai, where I had to endure hurricane Iniki in 92’.  Natural disasters seemed to follow me for a while there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
- this event did not ring with me at a WHERE were you level....  I didn't know it by name. Now that it was mentioned I kind of remember it etc

But its not on the Challenger, OJ, 9/11 level for me

- this event did not ring with me at a WHERE were you level....  I didn't know it by name. Now that it was mentioned I kind of remember it etc

I had to check the name also.  I've always heard it refereed to as the Bay-area quake or something like that..

I was in college, at a CD store in NYC when I heard the security guard and another guy talking about "the big one" and how the Golden gate bridge had fallen into the ocean. I sprinted home to call my parents in Sausalito...my mom acted surprised that is bothered to call. "Oh...yeah...I guess we had an earthquake..yes". I was watching the news while talking and saw all the repeated shots of fires (in the marina, which she would've been able to see from her house), the Bay bridge, and various collapsed buildings. Even explaining all of that, I couldnt get her to accept that it had been "the big one". I was far more freaked out 3k miles away than she ever was.

My dad was reffing a HS soccer game in Mill valley. He said he heard the sound of houses shaking in the hills coming towards the field (unrecognizable actual source until he thought about it later...like a train) and then the field truned to liquid waves, throwing players around to the ground.
I can't emphasize enough how freaked out I was...these guys were laughing about it which pissed me... and I knew if the GG bridge was affected, my parents and all my friends and family's lives were in jeopardy. When I got through to my mom while watching the initial reports on the news, hearing just how day-to-day she was in her response pissed me off too...but also made me feel much much better.

Strange...my roommates we're all kind of laughing off the event too. Hahahaha California earthquake. Almost got in a fight with one of them over it.

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at, too.  Didn’t recognize the name though vaguely remember the World Series was about to start when there was an earthquake.  A bigger deal for those on the West Coast at the time, I guess.

I was trying to think last night of all the “where were you when” moments of my lifetime.  I had Reagan being shot, Challenger, and 9/11.  The first two show my age. :(  You’re right to add OJ, too.

I was wearing coral blue pants and an argyle golf shirt parking golf carts and washing clubs at a private jewish club in west palm beach, FL.

I can't emphasize enough how freaked out I was...these guys were laughing about it which pissed me... and I knew if the GG bridge was affected, my parents and all my friends and family's lives were in jeopardy. When I got through to my mom while watching the initial reports on the news, hearing just how day-to-day she was in her response pissed me off too...but also made me feel much much better.

Strange...my roommates we're all kind of laughing off the event too. Hahahaha California earthquake. Almost got in a fight with one of them over it.
I don't get how any disaster is funny. People who weren't in CA at the time or knew someone affected by it are less likely to have a where were you moment. Your mom sounds like my aunt during the Iran Iraq war. Bombs were going off too close for comfort. She would say hold on as her window was shattered then continue like it was nothing. I think many of us in CA don't get phased about quakes unless it hits us bad personally.  That probably explains why many of us don't have earthquake kits.

I don't get how any disaster is funny. People who weren't in CA at the time or knew someone affected by it are less likely to have a where were you moment. Your mom sounds like my aunt during the Iran Iraq war. Bombs were going off too close for comfort. She would say hold on as her window was shattered then continue like it was nothing. I think many of us in CA don't get phased about quakes unless it hits us bad personally.  That probably explains why many of us don't have earthquake kits.
Especially at the time, there was a genuine dislike/bias/competitiveness with CA that i noticed in NYC- from people to media (including the NY times). The reactions were the equivalent of people laughing at trailer parks getting destroyed in tornadoes... the inevitability and cliched aspect of it. And obviously a complete lack of empathy or care.

I don't get how any disaster is funny. 
Yeah, that’s madness.  Had no idea people felt that way.  

Unlike this one that I don’t much remember, I was living in LA during the Northridge quake so definitely understand the trauma.

Yeah, that’s madness.  Had no idea people felt that way.  

Unlike this one that I don’t much remember, I was living in LA during the Northridge quake so definitely understand the trauma.
There are some who hope CA breaks off into the ocean. I think it's because of politics. Still though to wish people dead says a lot about those people too. 

Users who are viewing this thread