Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinn Fein

New WaPo Maternity Leave Policy

Recommended Posts

Not sure where this goes, or if anyone really cares - but I think this is a pretty big deal:

 

HUGE news for Washington Post employees today: “Effective January 1, 2020, our parental leave policy will expand to 20 weeks of paid leave for each parent.” Previously, employees got just four weeks.

 

Eventually, this is going to put pressure on other businesses and industries.

  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate enough to work for an employer that gave me as much time off as I wanted/needed when out first son was born. Ended up taking just about 20 weeks (went in on occasion to touch base with folks, but didn't really work). Second son was born and my new stupid place let me use my accrued sick time - nothing else though. I ended up taking a bunch of unpaid leave.

I wish everyone would get the same treatment I got on the first go round. It was such a joy to be home with my wife and newborn. Good on the Washington Post

Edited by the moops
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Not sure where this goes, or if anyone really cares - but I think this is a pretty big deal:

HUGE news for Washington Post employees today: “Effective January 1, 2020, our parental leave policy will expand to 20 weeks of paid leave for each parent.” Previously, employees got just four weeks.

Eventually, this is going to put pressure on other businesses and industries.

For all employees, including the lowest-level ones?

That would be interesting. I know they're completely independent of each other, but I definitely cannot see Amazon doing anything similar.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

For all employees, including the lowest-level ones?

That would be interesting. I know they're completely independent of each other, but I definitely cannot see Amazon doing anything similar.

They could certainly use the HR PR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the 1980s we had three kids, all C sections.   For the first one my wife got 6 weeks off.   After she got pregnant with our second she became a stay-at-home mom.   When we brought the baby home my mom & her mom would each stay with my wife for a few days to help her out and then I would take my 2 weeks vacation to be with her and the kid(s). 

I don't regret it but I went three years in a row using all of my vacation to help with babies.   Things sure have changed (for the better)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the terms?  Full, company paid salary?  Percentage of salary?  Your job is kept for twenty weeks and you're allowed to use sick/vacation/unpaid time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Not sure where this goes, or if anyone really cares - but I think this is a pretty big deal:

 

HUGE news for Washington Post employees today: “Effective January 1, 2020, our parental leave policy will expand to 20 weeks of paid leave for each parent.” Previously, employees got just four weeks.

 

Eventually, this is going to put pressure on other businesses and industries.

I doubt the pressure will surface.  Print journalism is dying.....probably had to up the benefits to attract anyone silly enough to take up employment at one of these companies..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I doubt the pressure will surface.  Print journalism is dying.....probably had to up the benefits to attract anyone silly enough to take up employment at one of these companies..

A year old, but...

The Washington Post had a good year. The newspaper more than doubled digital subscriptions and grew revenue from digital advertising, leading to its second consecutive year of profitability despite the media industry’s challenging landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, the moops said:

A year old, but...

The Washington Post had a good year. The newspaper more than doubled digital subscriptions and grew revenue from digital advertising, leading to its second consecutive year of profitability despite the media industry’s challenging landscape.

Big whoop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Big whoop...

Don't lie, you were a star on the High School debate team, weren't you?

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

Don't lie, you were a star on the High School debate team, weren't you?

Sorry...but a year old article about a one time profitable newspaper in a dying industry isn't gonna work for me.

If my kid wanted to go work fro print, I would tell him hes stupid to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry...but a year old article about a one time profitable newspaper in a dying industry isn't gonna work for me.

If my kid wanted to go work fro print, I would tell him hes stupid to do so.  

I don't suppose its worth pointing out that WaPo is far more than "print"?

You seem like a nice young fella who is open to learning new things.

 

PS - never call your kids stupid.  I mean ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry...but a year old article about a one time profitable newspaper in a dying industry isn't gonna work for me.

If my kid wanted to go work fro print, I would tell him hes stupid to do so.  

What if he worked for the digital content wing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

I don't suppose its worth pointing out that WaPo is far more than "print"?

You seem like a nice young fella who is open to learning new things.

 

PS - never call your kids stupid.  I mean ever.

Read my quote debate champ.

I didn't call my kid stupid.  

Thanks for the unsolicited parenting advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry...but a year old article about a one time profitable newspaper in a dying industry isn't gonna work for me.

If my kid wanted to go work fro print, I would tell him hes stupid to do so.  

What's your prediction on how many more years the WaPo will be in business?

Edited by dgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgreen said:

What's your prediction on how many more yeas the WaPo will be in business?

50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry...but a year old article about a one time profitable newspaper in a dying industry isn't gonna work for me.

If my kid wanted to go work fro print, I would tell him hes stupid to do so.  

WELL WHOOP DE FREAKIN DO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you kids all saucy?  I offered my opinion on why I didn't think this 20 week maternity policy will catch and that Wa Po might be doing it to attract people.

What got into all of you?   Are you staunch defenders of that paper or something?  

Massive amount of defending of this thing.  Are you all normally this belligerent?   Or is there something special about the Post?

Edited by supermike80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

probably had to up the benefits to attract anyone silly enough to take up employment at one of these companies..

Maybe if you didn't start your rant with telling people they are silly if they want to work for companies like the Post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Why are you kids all saucy?  I offered my opinion on why I didn't think this 20 week maternity policy will catch and that Wa Po might be doing it to attract people.

What got into all of you?   Are you staunch defenders of that paper or something?  

Massive amount of defending of this thing.  Are you all normally this belligerent?   Or is there something special about the Post?

I'm with you on the future of the news print/publishing industry. I'm just not sure I'd apply that to the Washington Post. I think they'll be around for many more years, so I see no reason to advise someone away from a job there.

Edited by dgreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, the moops said:

Maybe if you didn't start your rant with telling people they are silly if they want to work for companies like the Post

I can have that opinion cant I?  Do you work there or something?

I apologize if I hurt your feelings 

Edited by supermike80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

What about people that are having babies next week? 

Suckers!

I make the joke at work that I’d like the next 6 months off in back paternity leave.  I think I got a total of like 15-20 days across all 4 of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Hover cursor over avatar.

2. Click "ignore user" at the bottom of the pop-up.

3. Select "posts"

It's just that easy, folks.  What exactly is it you're seeing here that makes you hesitate?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move.  Europe and other places are way ahead of us in terms of quality of life/work life balance and this is a step in that direction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Don't lie, you were a star on the High School debate team, weren't you?

Be way more cool to other posters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:mellow: 

The news must be causing an increase in the reporting button?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Not sure where this goes, or if anyone really cares - but I think this is a pretty big deal:

 

HUGE news for Washington Post employees today: “Effective January 1, 2020, our parental leave policy will expand to 20 weeks of paid leave for each parent.” Previously, employees got just four weeks.

 

Eventually, this is going to put pressure on other businesses and industries.

Firms in Big Law went from 16 weeks to 20 about three years ago.  I suppose you could argue that this is notable because the journalism market is trash right now, but there's still healthy competition at the very top of the market like WaPo and NYT.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Firms in Big Law went from 16 weeks to 20 about three years ago.  I suppose you could argue that this is notable because the journalism market is trash right now, but there's still healthy competition at the very top of the market like WaPo and NYT.  

WaPo policy is both maternal and paternal. I think that is further than BigLaw has gone on paternal. I think I just got 4 weeks there, but I’ve been out of BigLaw for three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend that works at Wells Fargo got 16 weeks as a new father, and that was 1.5 years ago.

I got 2 weeks, and that was because my boss just told me to take it, but because there was a policy.

This country is all sorts of backwards on things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

For all employees, including the lowest-level ones?

That would be interesting. I know they're completely independent of each other, but I definitely cannot see Amazon doing anything similar.

I don't disagree. Did you pick Amazon because they are owned by the same person?

While I like the policy, do you think it takes some of the shine off an owner who implements it for skilled workers vs non skilled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me even more proud of the $3 a month i pay for a digital subscription to support the 4th estate check on government power abuse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

What about people that are having babies next week? 

Suckers!

Or those that choose to not have kids.  They should get subsidized in some way, imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

For any company with high turnover, this would be ridiculous.

Immediately made me think of trucking companies and their ridiculous signing bonuses.   5K and up--some truck drivers work that thing like you wouldn't believe.

Signon bonuses actually increase turnover in that industry.  They don't help at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, supermike80 said:

Immediately made me think of trucking companies and their ridiculous signing bonuses.   5K and up--some truck drivers work that thing like you wouldn't believe.

Signon bonuses actually increase turnover in that industry.  They don't help at all.

Do they not have to pay it back if they leave in too short of a time period?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dgreen said:

Do they not have to pay it back if they leave in too short of a time period?

Some have a time clause.Maybe 90 days etc.....some might be a year. 

rarely any companies will go after the driver for it though.....Unless they collect the $$ then bolt in weeks.

And many companies pay it in installments

Edited by supermike80
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

For any company with high turnover, this would be ridiculous.

Maybe they would have less turnover if they had better benefits such as paid maternity/paternity leave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my oldest was born, I took 2 weeks off(mostly paid via saved up vacation time), for my second and third, I took a few days off, but I had a different job by the third child and couldn't take too much time off. 

 

Personally, I don't have any problem with the Post's decision, but I don't think I could not go to work for 20 weeks. I'd go stir crazy. To put that into perspective, say you had a baby right around the New Year. If you took the full 20 weeks, you're not back to work until Mother's Day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kal El said:

 put that into perspective, say you had a baby right around the New Year. If you took the full 20 weeks, you're not back to work until Mother's Day. 

I like my job more than just about anyone in my circle. Not going for 20 weeks sounds glorious though 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every company should have leave benefits like this.  Having a child is probably the biggest life event you will experience as a human being.  It's more important than anything you as an individual are contributing to your job/company.  The work culture we have in this country that the company is more important than time off for something like the birth of a child is completely ### backwards and anyone who buys into it really needs to re-evaluate.  

Edited by Scoresman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Max Power said:

I don't disagree. Did you pick Amazon because they are owned by the same person?

While I like the policy, do you think it takes some of the shine off an owner who implements it for skilled workers vs non skilled?

Yes, because of the Jeff Bezos connection.

I would generally expect the policy to apply to people with salaries substantially above minimum wage. They can be given perks like this in lieu of a raise. For workers making less, there is less room to substitute perks for cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to things like maternity leave, vacation and other worker's benefits with respect to work/life balance the US is far behind the leaders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, the moops said:

Maybe they would have less turnover if they had better benefits such as paid maternity/paternity leave?

If a company wants to fix a turnover problem, no doubt compensation and benefits improvements can help.  However, I’m skeptical that a 20-week paid policy would get more bang for their buck than raises, better health care coverage, more vacation time, or other measures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being childless, I would selfishly prefer this notion be more geared towards fewer working hours in general, rather than targeted time-off bomb. But I think we're at least moving in the right direction here and won't complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, snitwitch said:

6 months should be the norm

That's a start.  I think it should be 5 years.  How can a company live with itself knowing its making a mother or father work and miss the most important part of a new child's life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.