What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings "The Outsider", a 10 episode HBO series coming January. Trailer just released (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
The Outsider: 10 episode series premiers on HBO Sunday, January 12th, 2020

https://www.hbo.com/the-outsider

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03MAkQ_OyM

Based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel of the same name, The Outsider begins by following a seemingly straightforward investigation into the gruesome murder of a young boy. But when an insidious supernatural force edges its way into the case, it leads a seasoned cop and an unorthodox investigator to question everything they believe in.

Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Ben Mendelsohn (“Bloodline,” “Ready Player One”) —who also serves as producer — and Tony Award winner Cynthia Erivo (“The Color Purple”) lead the cast of this drama series, which also includes Emmy nominee Bill Camp (“The Night Of”), Oscar nominee Mare Winningham (“George”), Paddy Considine (“The Third Day”), Julianne Nicholson (“Mare of Easttown”), Yul Vázquez (“Divorce”), Jeremy Bobb (“The Knick”), Marc Menchaca (“The Sinner”), and Emmy and Golden Globe winner Jason Bateman (“Ozark,” “Arrested Development”).

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
His books are legit, his tv,film,cable adaptions are the suck
I actually think the adaptations miss the mark because of a misunderstanding of the material. IT is a huge book about the loss of innocence, childhood, and friendship, but the movies boil it down to a killer clown chasing kids.  

11.22.63 did a pretty decent job as a miniseries but even then I think they spent more time on themes that were unnecessary. 

The problem with King is the stuff he has in his books are really edgy and NC17 level. You want to do a true adaptation, you have to start at an R rating and most studios just don't want to go there--so we get a watered down adaptation.

The problem with King is the stuff he has in his books are really edgy and NC17 level. You want to do a true adaptation, you have to start at an R rating and most studios just don't want to go there--so we get a watered down adaptation.
I do think that’s part of the problem. King is a twisted guy. I mean a significant plot point in It is a gang bang between a bunch of children. And there is some really, really twisted stuff in The Stand (particularly the unabridged version).

But I think another big problem is that the fantastical often works in books, but not on the screen. And it’s just not run of the mill fantastical, it’s King fantastical. He injects elements into his stories, often in the climactic scenes, that would look (or do look) downright silly on screen. The ending sections of The Dark Tower series come to mind (as well as a bunch of stuff throughout - mechanical werewolves?). It’s why his stories that lack the supernatural element (Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, Misery) tend to translate more successfully to the big screen, though there certainly are exceptions. 

OrtonToOlsen said:
Who is playing Pony Boy?
Has there yet been a movie that can match the number of stars to come out of it?  It’s crazy how many future stars were in it. 

* I do not feel the following is a spoiler but if your sensitive to that don't read. Constant readers will know what I am talking about and others will have no clue.

I enjoyed the book. It looks like they changed Holly's race. I guess that is not a big deal but why? I am thinking of the other books she was in and some of the conversations will either fall flat or will be taken out due to this change. Again I suppose it's not that big of a deal, I am just a stickler for as much accuracy as possible with the books.

* I do not feel the following is a spoiler but if your sensitive to that don't read. Constant readers will know what I am talking about and others will have no clue.

I enjoyed the book. It looks like they changed Holly's race. I guess that is not a big deal but why? I am thinking of the other books she was in and some of the conversations will either fall flat or will be taken out due to this change. Again I suppose it's not that big of a deal, I am just a stickler for as much accuracy as possible with the books.
And we just saw the character of Holly played in Mr. Mercedes series. I’m really hoping that they didn’t jettison her character’s primary behavioral traits. 

And we just saw the character of Holly played in Mr. Mercedes series. I’m really hoping that they didn’t jettison her character’s primary behavioral traits. 
I agree.

I notice they changed the race of the girl in Dr Sleep as well. I don't understand why. Same with making Ritchie gay in It. Really added nothing to the story so why do it?

As much as I love Edris Elba, there is no way he should have been cast as Roland. That is a big deal in the grand scope of the Dark Tower series. You lose a ton of the interactions between Detta and Roland when you do that. 

I agree.

I notice they changed the race of the girl in Dr Sleep as well. I don't understand why. Same with making Ritchie gay in It. Really added nothing to the story so why do it?

As much as I love Edris Elba, there is no way he should have been cast as Roland. That is a big deal in the grand scope of the Dark Tower series. You lose a ton of the interactions between Detta and Roland when you do that. 
I never ended up seeing that movie. But yeah, I don’t see how the Elba casting decision works if they keep him for the Detta installments. 

I agree.

Casting Elba is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the list of things wrong with that movie. Plus, they didn't even have Detta in it.

Casting Elba is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the list of things wrong with that movie. Plus, they didn't even have Detta in it.
This.  The adaptation was the issue.  The movie was nothing like the books, which I understand why they did it but still.   

I do think that’s part of the problem. King is a twisted guy. I mean a significant plot point in It is a gang bang between a bunch of children. And there is some really, really twisted stuff in The Stand (particularly the unabridged version).

But I think another big problem is that the fantastical often works in books, but not on the screen. And it’s just not run of the mill fantastical, it’s King fantastical. He injects elements into his stories, often in the climactic scenes, that would look (or do look) downright silly on screen. The ending sections of The Dark Tower series come to mind (as well as a bunch of stuff throughout - mechanical werewolves?). It’s why his stories that lack the supernatural element (Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, Misery) tend to translate more successfully to the big screen, though there certainly are exceptions. 
I just finished reading this. What parts are you referring to?

I'm guessing the stuff with The Kid & Trashcan Man are on his list.
Yes, definitely The Kid. Also Flagg’s assault on Nadine. That stuff won’t make the series, at least not as described by King.

I'm guessing the stuff with The Kid & Trashcan Man are on his list.
Oh...right. I spaced that. Trashcan Man was such a great character, hopefully they get someone who can play into his lunacy.

Oh...right. I spaced that. Trashcan Man was such a great character, hopefully they get someone who can play into his lunacy.
Nothing confirmed as far as his role yet, but Marilyn Manson is in the series and there is speculation that he may be playing Trashy. 

First 2 episodes were awesome!  Great start.  
How did I not know there were 2 episodes?  I went to bed after the first. 

Anyway, I liked episode one. There were some minor oddities like changing the setting to GA which in the book I believe it was KC?  It makes sense in a way, Bateman is down here filming Ozarks all the time so I guess if he’s directing here then it saves the hassle of worrying about random stuff coming into screen.  Trying to come at it as if I didn’t read the book was a bit weird. 

So I went ahead and watched episode 2. It’s relatively faithful to the novel with some small changes. This has no effect on the story, but son of Ralph the detective isn’t dead in the book, just away at summer camp. I guess it’s makes him more relatable. 

Did anyone notice on the preview for next week it said “this season on The Outsider”?  The book has a beginning and an end, so I wonder if they’re going to leave things more open-ended and make this an actual series instead of a one and done. 

I remember the difficulty that my fourthgrade teacher had when I was reading "It" during recess and showing the bad parts like the bold to fellow classmates. 

I'm trying to remember what the bold was called in the book. I believe it had its own name and everything. 

How did I not know there were 2 episodes?  I went to bed after the first. 

Anyway, I liked episode one. There were some minor oddities like changing the setting to GA which in the book I believe it was KC?  It makes sense in a way, Bateman is down here filming Ozarks all the time so I guess if he’s directing here then it saves the hassle of worrying about random stuff coming into screen.  Trying to come at it as if I didn’t read the book was a bit weird. 
I’ve read a ton of SK’s work but not this one.  Going in totally cold.  

Hooked.  I pretty  much like anything Bateman does in a serious role.  Ozark is another good one.
Agreed.  His funny stuff too honestly.  He’s also become a hell of a director, he directed the first 2 episodes and a bunch of the Ozarks episodes.  Dude has come into his own.  

Great show so far. Just watched the two episodes and really liked them.

It's amazing that Anthony Bourdain was able to shoot this series before he died.

What am I missing about the pig hunting detective?   His story was a bit weird in the context of the story.  Not sure if I missed something.

What am I missing about the pig hunting detective?   His story was a bit weird in the context of the story.  Not sure if I missed something.
Having read the book, my guess is his role should come into focus next episode. He’ll be investigating the barn you see in the last scene of episode 2. 

Those were the clothes of the lurker guy in the barn, correct?  Was tough to tell on our tv.

I read the book but forgot enough this still seems fresh.  The friction between Ralph and Mrs Maitland is rough to behold.

Did not read book. Caught first 2 episodes last night.

Really well done.

Has a True Detective season 1 vibe to it.

Those were the clothes of the lurker guy in the barn, correct?  Was tough to tell on our tv.

I read the book but forgot enough this still seems fresh.  The friction between Ralph and Mrs Maitland is rough to behold.
The clothes in the barn were from when Terry Maitland....or at least the dude that looked like him....changed after going to the club. Those were the clothes he was wearing in the train station video.

Users who are viewing this thread