What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings "The Outsider", a 10 episode HBO series coming January. Trailer just released (1 Viewer)

I’ve read the book, the barn is done unless they made up a completely new storyline. In fact they spent less time on the barn in the show, the book at least got a couple of chapters. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve read the book, the barn is done unless they made up a completely new storyline. In fact they spent less time on the barn in the show, the book at least got a couple of chapters. 
Beware - Spoiler!:

I've read the book as well and didn't want to come out and flatly refute the multiple timeline issue - was just trying to argue reasons why that might not be the case

I seemed to have touched some nerves with the barn talk.  Sorry.  Just reminded me of the over analysis of every nuance in the old Lost thread.  

it has absolutely nothing to do with the story

Beware - Spoiler!:

I've read the book as well and didn't want to come out and flatly refute the multiple timeline issue - was just trying to argue reasons why that might not be the case
It’s not a spoiler, it has nothing to do with the story.  Its like someone creating pages and pages of conspiracy theories about Kramer never working on Seinfeld. 

Why are people in here if they dont want to talk about the show or encourage talk about the show? 

Also, the book?

Cool, I thought this thread was about the TV show. 

Seems we struck a nerve discussing the show. 

Does anyone think there’s an alternate timeline where Terry Maitland wasn’t really killed and is just running the banana stand under the assumed name Michael Bluthe?  Also I believe the main cop is Australian, why is he hiding his accent?  WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Anyone notice how her dreadlocks are woven differently in the same scenes?

I'm assuming time travel is the only explanation.

tackle for loss said:
Why are people in here if they dont want to talk about the show or encourage talk about the show? 

Also, the book?

Cool, I thought this thread was about the TV show. 

Seems we struck a nerve discussing the show. 
Me too....

I've come to the realization that certain people are just how they are. They feel it's ok to discuss things they find relevant.

But choose to mock or make light of things they find irrelevant. They are also the same people who are right about everything and, if you disagree, you're wrong.

There is no sense even acknowledging people like that. They are set in their ways.

I'm enjoying this show. Really well done and the lead detective and P.I. actors are killing it.

Non-book reader here, but it looks like this is heading down the path of a Boogeyman, devil, whatever, setting people up and then watching the ensuing chaos. Guess I was hoping for something a little more than that - feels like it's a pretty standard plot point that's been done before. Of course, will still watch and enjoy.

I'm enjoying this show. Really well done and the lead detective and P.I. actors are killing it.

Non-book reader here, but it looks like this is heading down the path of a Boogeyman, devil, whatever, setting people up and then watching the ensuing chaos. Guess I was hoping for something a little more than that - feels like it's a pretty standard plot point that's been done before. Of course, will still watch and enjoy.
I'm in the same boat. Didn't read the book. Dig the look and feel of the show and I'm in, but don't have high hopes I'll like the ending.

First 2 episodes were great television. Then, as I said earlier, it seemed to go downhill after Bateman left being in front of and behind the camera. 

I'm not so sure I will love the ending either, but the wife and I are committed. 

I know it's not that "scary", but the show seems to have an almost perfectly creepy tone/pace/setting.  After watching the other night I felt a little jumpy.
Agree with this. The use of lighting and camera contribute to this sense of creeping dread.

Holy crap guys it was a joke.  That’s what we do here, we rib each other in good fun.  It was a momentary lapse in where I had forgotten that not everyone had read the book.  
Lighten up.  
Wait this is based off a book?

Does anyone think there’s an alternate timeline where Terry Maitland wasn’t really killed and is just running the banana stand under the assumed name Michael Bluthe?  Also I believe the main cop is Australian, why is he hiding his accent?  WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
I read the book after seeing the trailer.  So Terry was already Jason Bateman to me in my head.  So I'm reading and he get arrested and his wife calls Howie, his lawyer, and for the rest of the book I'm picturing him as Henry Winkler/Barry Zuckercorn.  

So after this past Sundays episode, now that I watched it since the SB was on Sunday, the Barn did have important relevance.

Just to clear and correct the record. lol 😋

Sunday (ep 5) was the first one that really dragged for me.  The whole series has been a slow burn, but this week was slow and didn't really reveal much new info.

Like, we know Jack has been "touched".  We've watched him be a surly, disconnected jerk for weeks now.  Every scene, you think "Is this when he loses it?" and I've gotten past the suspense of it and I'm like "Okay....enough.  Can we advance this a little finally?"

Sunday (ep 5) was the first one that really dragged for me.  The whole series has been a slow burn, but this week was slow and didn't really reveal much new info.

Like, we know Jack has been "touched".  We've watched him be a surly, disconnected jerk for weeks now.  Every scene, you think "Is this when he loses it?" and I've gotten past the suspense of it and I'm like "Okay....enough.  Can we advance this a little finally?"
I liked episode 5 better than 4. But neither were great by any means. 

Exactly how I feel. Still enjoying it but it was the first time I found myself fading during an episode. 

Edit: which is fine by the way. One thing I try to be more conscious of these days is not being judgmental or too harsh about individual episodes of a show that I’m otherwise enjoying. Feels like it’s so easy to jump on things and not let shows ebb and flow. 

I think calling it a slow burn is being generous.  I like the show but they need to pick this thing up.   Also really not digging the Ralph Anderson's son is dead angle.   

I think calling it a slow burn is being generous.  I like the show but they need to pick this thing up.   Also really not digging the Ralph Anderson's son is dead angle.   
For the most part, I appreciate the fact that a) the episodes come out weekly and you can't binge it all in a day.  I find myself looking forward to it on Sundays and b) it's refreshing to have character development and suspense (albeit slow right now) instead of bam bam bam instant gratification immediately.

They make action shows, if thats what you like. 

They had the cemeterys near all the abandoned places, that was new. Its like true detective in a way. We also found uot the club owner is starting to feel and reflect on him being scratched.

So its getting advanced, we are seeing the guy is getting into peoples dreams, even more than Maitlands daughter. The wife is now being harassed too.

It seems people dont like investigative crime dramas, they like action crime dramas. What are you guys wanting, blood and guts every episode. 

Im not really a champion for this show as I give it a B- right now, I check in ever few days since I am watching it, took me a couple days to even find time to watch this past episode and I like other takes about the show, but it seems SOME of the people watching and commenting thought this show was gonna be something other than what it sold itself as. 

Its a King story, are we not familiar with the Shinning? lol Lots of nothing that turned out to be something. How about It, for the love of god that was slow burn and they still recreated it. 

Like the takes, but maybe see the show for what it is and look for more clues instead of getting up for a refill in the slow parts. 😉

The actor who plays Detective Jack Hoskins is the same actor who played Russ Langmore in Ozark.  Without the beard he looks totally different.  Anyway, can’t wait for next week’s episode.  Wish this was on Netflix.

The actor who plays Detective Jack Hoskins is the same actor who played Russ Langmore in Ozark.  Without the beard he looks totally different.  Anyway, can’t wait for next week’s episode.  Wish this was on Netflix.
Dang, that's where I know him from.  :doh:

Just binged all the way through and got caught up. I like this show. I never read the book, and since I binged it all at once, it didn't drag at all. Now, I have to wait like the rest of you schlubs, though, so it will probably drag and frustrate me if more doesn't happen faster.

The slow burn character development is what I like about it🤷‍♂️.  But I used to read a bunch of SK so that probably makes sense.  

Wife and I watched the first two episodes last night.

All in. 

Never read this book from King (I have read several from him too but not this one).

Good catch, Ozark was a good show too.

Seems Bateman is good at catching on to some new coming actors. 

Great episode this past week.  I'm glad they picked up the pace.  I was starting to lose interest.
It took a dude to get beat up for you to gain interest? That was the only type of thing different this week then most episodes, was a little violence. "Holly Gibney" is this show, as long as she is the star, I dont know how anyone can lose interest. Cynthia Erivo is phenomenal, and I see a golden globe in her future. 

It took a dude to get beat up for you to gain interest? That was the only type of thing different this week then most episodes, was a little violence. "Holly Gibney" is this show, as long as she is the star, I dont know how anyone can lose interest. Cynthia Erivo is phenomenal, and I see a golden globe in her future. 
No, the episode had a lot going on and kept you "on the edge of your seat" throughout the whole episode.  Also, it leaves you looking forward to next week to see what happens.  

The prior few episodes, while good, were just ho-hum.  More background filler type stuff.

Regarding Erivo, she was just nominated for an Oscar for her work in the Harriet movie.

We are now through 4 episodes and will watch 5 and 6 tonight. We love it. Excellent vibe, top notch acting. The story has taken the typical King turn and that is fine. I enjoy his work. 

The music has such a great "dread" vibe. Very well done.

eoMMan said:
No, the episode had a lot going on and kept you "on the edge of your seat" throughout the whole episode.  Also, it leaves you looking forward to next week to see what happens.  

The prior few episodes, while good, were just ho-hum.  More background filler type stuff.

Regarding Erivo, she was just nominated for an Oscar for her work in the Harriet movie.
Erivo is awesome. Check out Bad Times at the El Royale if you haven’t already. She’s a star. 

Wife and I still really enjoying it. This past week's episode was probably the best one since the first two episodes. 

eoMMan said:

I agree with this.. My wife and I were watching it, but I found myself actually drifting off during the last episode or so. This one kind of brought us back and hit the gas. 

Just want to say great show so far.  Was concerned after episode 5 it was going to fall off the rails but Ep. 6 was pretty great

eoMMan said:

Yeah, I was pulling for her. But this performance had golden globe written all over it.

It even more impressive to me when people change their accent to sound american. Took me forever to know House was British, lol

Users who are viewing this thread