What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moving Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

snellman

Footballguy
Our new house finally got finished, so this has been move in week.  Keep in mind we started this process almost a year ago so the wife has been purging while we were building.  It is amazing how much crap you can accumulate over 15 years and 5 children.  Thankfully, we did not have to move appliances because we bought new for the new house and sold our appliances with our old house.  One smart thing I did do is I talked my wife into hiring a moving company to move the big stuff (furniture, beds, ETC.).  That was a huge help, but man what a headache.

Moving is the worst.  After several moves when I was younger, finally got a move allowance once and it covered the move and packing.

After that, I vowed to never do it myself again. Especially the packing. It ended up being the best $900 we ever spent. 

If you can even remotely afford it, there's nothing better. You wake up the day of your move like any other day except you pack a bag for a few days like going away for a weekend trip. You don't have to find materials to pack.. You don't spend weeks packing up little things all around the house.  You literally just get up, say hello to a group of 3-4 guys who show up and pack your entire house in a day. 

It all gets labeled, packed by room, and if anything breaks during the move, they are responsible. You get em some lunch and some time in the afternoon you just look at an entire house that is packed and ready to go. 

Best spent money ever.

Moving is the worst.  After several moves when I was younger, finally got a move allowance once and it covered the move and packing.

After that, I vowed to never do it myself again. Especially the packing. It ended up being the best $900 we ever spent. 

If you can even remotely afford it, there's nothing better. You wake up the day of your move like any other day except you pack a bag for a few days like going away for a weekend trip. You don't have to find materials to pack.. You don't spend weeks packing up little things all around the house.  You literally just get up, say hello to a group of 3-4 guys who show up and pack your entire house in a day. 

It all gets labeled, packed by room, and if anything breaks during the move, they are responsible. You get em some lunch and some time in the afternoon you just look at an entire house that is packed and ready to go. 

Best spent money ever.
We debated having them do the full move, but with budget and having things still to get done at the new house (landscaping, painting, etc) we decided to just have them move the large items.  We only moved three miles so the packing and moving boxes wasn't terribly bad.  I had to work to convince the wife to convince her that it would be a good investment.  After they were done I got the rare "you were right dear" moment that us men rarely get. 

Now if only someone had a company that we could hire to come in and clean the old house.

Yep, its horrible. We did the same as you. Packed and threw out a tons of things but hired moving company for furniture.

We just moved an hour away this past summer.  3 adults and 4 kids.  (her brother is staying with us for a bit). Never again.  We did everything ourselves.  Packing, throwing things away, many U-Haul trips. Storage garage. My body wasn't the same for almost a month.  We still have stuff in the new house that needs unpacked/placed.

Our closing on new house was same day as closing on old one.  So yeah, while convenient, think about the timing as far as the actual move.  It sucked.  Got up early that AM, packed the rest of the stuff in the truck (slept on air mattress for a few days), parked that truck behind old house.  Went to closing office an hour away, closed on all the houses, went back to pick up truck.  Took truck to new house (hour away), unloaded, went to storage unit (2 more trips) loaded up, went back to new house.  And of course the previous 2 trips to the storage units to load it up.  Ugh. 

I will die in this new house.  Never moving again.

ETA: And this doesn't even take into account the many preparations we had to make to the old house to sell it.  Painted every room, many, many, MANY fixes every where, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
We debated having them do the full move, but with budget and having things still to get done at the new house (landscaping, painting, etc) we decided to just have them move the large items.  We only moved three miles so the packing and moving boxes wasn't terribly bad.  I had to work to convince the wife to convince her that it would be a good investment.  After they were done I got the rare "you were right dear" moment that us men rarely get. 

Now if only someone had a company that we could hire to come in and clean the old house.
If given the option of moving furniture or packing, I'd hire someone for packing 10/10 times and move the furniture myself.

Just downsized last week for the 2nd time.  (2.5 years ago we went from 3200 sq. ft. to 2400 sq. ft. to now 1800 sq. ft townhouse)  Had to do a lot of purging (3 car garage to a 2 car).  No bonus room or anything.  We got a huge storage place and moved a lot of "little" things, plus just things that were awkward or we didn't want the movers to touch and they still filled a huge truck.  We have boxes coming out of our butts at this point.

Finally got the main TV hung in the den, so life is somewhat back to normal.

Now try doing it 3 days before Christmas when your wife is 8.5 months pregnant. Thank God for lots of family/friends to help otherwise my wife might have killed me for saying we should move. 

Now try doing it 3 days before Christmas when your wife is 8.5 months pregnant. Thank God for lots of family/friends to help otherwise my wife might have killed me for saying we should move. 
I haven't done the Christmas thing but I have moved my 8 month pregnant wife TWICE. Once with my first child and again with my third. So I feel your pain. 

Smart move when moving without a company helping: pack the beds last( meaning have them packed last so they are the first thing unpacked. At the new house unpack the bed/mattresses and set them up before unpacking the rest. Trust me, the last thing you want to do after physical labor all day is dealing with fighting with a bed frame and mattresses.

Also, spend the $100 and get a quality hand truck. Worth its weight in gold when moving.

Closing on a "new" home Thursday.  Renovating.  Then probably moving into it in a few months once it's ready.  I wouldn't have done it if the home wasn't super close to where we are already.  Only a few minute drive.  We'll be able to "move" in stages.  Hire out the big stuff last.  Should be gravy...

First 18 years of my life - didn't move at all. 

College doesn't really count but 5 different places

Then 18 years with ten moves, added 6 dogs, 5 kids... The kids are still with us but only 1 dog. 

We won't move again until the 5th kid is out of the house. 

Moving sucks.

Moving with kids is a level in hell. 

Godspeed

Smart move when moving without a company helping: pack the beds last( meaning have them packed last so they are the first thing unpacked. At the new house unpack the bed/mattresses and set them up before unpacking the rest. Trust me, the last thing you want to do after physical labor all day is dealing with fighting with a bed frame and mattresses.

Also, spend the $100 and get a quality hand truck. Worth its weight in gold when moving.
Agreed. But then why move without a company? Maybe if you have no kids (we did it before kids, just had coworkers help). 

Good friends of ours just moved 1 mile down the road (they also have 5 kids, needed a bigger place), even for that they hired a crew. Not the full move but to help with the heavy lifting.

ChiefD said:
I haven't done the Christmas thing but I have moved my 8 month pregnant wife TWICE. Once with my first child and again with my third. So I feel your pain. 
You're a good guy and all, but you might go to hell for that ;)

gianmarco said:
If given the option of moving furniture or packing, I'd hire someone for packing 10/10 times and move the furniture myself.
I get it

But the ONLY good thing about unpacking yourself is you really tend to clean out your useless ####.

snellman said:
We had a really good realtor.  She recomended the contractor we used to remodel the bathroom at our new house and do all the other fun things that we needed.  When it came time to sell the old house, she recommended what needed to be done to get the best price, and we paid him to do it.  No hassles, and we got the best price.  Hiring people is the only way to go.

Wide and I have moved twice, once from an apartment to another identical apartment 10 miles away, second time into a house. Both times sucked, and since then, we've had 3 kids. I've told her repeatedly if we're moving again, we're hiring somebody to move our stuff, because moving does indeed suck.

We close on a second home (condo) 2500 miles away at the end of December that we'll transition to a primary residence over the next year or two. All the furniture will be new and we plan on bringing other things over about once a month. We hope to hitch a trailer to our SUV for the final move and drive across country but might not even need it as we don't expect to bring anything too big with us. We'll sell or give away most furniture, electronics and houseware. We've only moved once before, having lived in our house for 25 years now, and it does suck. Trying to make this as painless as possible.

If I had to do it again I would hire a moving company.  We had me and my brother in law (lazy af), and my wife who can't lift anything heavy, and 3 teenage girls who would rather be on their phones then just about anything.  So we got some of their guy friends.  Teen kids.  Strong, move fast, etc.  But....they don't care about others belongings because they don't get it yet.  They don't have anything of their own to understand.  So much of my stuff was scratched, dented, etc.

I don't understand people that move themselves. You are spending all this money on a new house/closing costs/new home expenses. Whats another $1k to make your life 10x easier on moving day? We hired a moving company and I was still exhausted on moving day.

I don't understand people that move themselves. You are spending all this money on a new house/closing costs/new home expenses. Whats another $1k to make your life 10x easier on moving day? We hired a moving company and I was still exhausted on moving day.
We had spent much more money on our old house than we were anticipating, trying to get it ready to sell.  So we had used that money we set aside for movers already.

An "extra" $1000?  You realize to a lot of people that ain't chump change, right?

We downsized for second time a few months ago. Looked for six months in two general areas and anything quality sold before hitting market or on first day.  Found a home “coming soon” that we were able to get in before it hit the market and was able to purchase it.  Only a couple miles from our previous home in gated community (although we weren’t  specifically looking for the gated community). We packed the boxes and hired a mover for the furniture. Since we were so close we made several trips ourselves with most of the boxes/clothes/misc stuff. Went very smooth. 

I'm never moving.   Too much work.   Luckily I've always lived in a 1500 square foot house so no need to downsize.   

Best spent money ever.
This. We’ve been fortunate that my wife’s employer covers almost all relo fees. It’s nice having people box and label all your household items & furniture on one day and load it into a truck on the following. It goes into storage in or near the new city we’re moving to and then when we find a new home they bring it all into the house where we want it. They even reassemble furniture. If the cost wasn’t covered, we would absolutely pay for it. 

Best spent money ever.
Is that really all it costs?  That just sounds crazy cheap to me.   I have so much crap.  The shed is packed with crap.  A lawn tractor.   A snow blower.  Garage is packed with tools.  Attic is packed with crap.   Tvs on the walls.  Like a dozen house plants.   Man just going through everything in my head, I might just move to see them do everything in one day for that little. 

Is that really all it costs?  That just sounds crazy cheap to me.   I have so much crap.  The shed is packed with crap.  A lawn tractor.   A snow blower.  Garage is packed with tools.  Attic is packed with crap.   Tvs on the walls.  Like a dozen house plants.   Man just going through everything in my head, I might just move to see them do everything in one day for that little. 
Did he even say how much it costs?

Get a few quotes. 

I'd bet yours would be a lot more. Might still be worth it.

You do realise that the cost is set individually based on how much crap you have, right?
I don't realize.   So it could thousands more and it just so happened that the other guy that said $900 doesn't have much stuff? I kind of just assumed that everyone had in the same ballpark of crap if you're moving from house to house.   I might have to cancel this unneeded move.

That was our first move doing this about 12 years ago. We were moving from a 2 BR/BA into a house. That $900 was the packing cost.

That said, we just moved a month and a half ago. 4500 sq ft home plus basement.  Took them 1 1/2 days (8am-4pm first day then 9a-11a the next). Was about $2K to pack (which included all materials too). 

That was our first move doing this about 12 years ago. We were moving from a 2 BR/BA into a house. That $900 was the packing cost.

That said, we just moved a month and a half ago. 4500 sq ft home plus basement.  Took them 1 1/2 days (8am-4pm first day then 9a-11a the next). Was about $2K to pack (which included all materials too). 
Gotcha, the $900 was just to pack everything up.    That makes more sense.   

What do you do with all the boxes and packing material after you unpack? 

They generally charge for time.  Something like "100 per hour for two guys and a truck".  They will also set a minimum of like 500 bucks or so.

So the easier you make the move for them, the cheaper it will be.

The last move we did I decided to hire a company rather than just doing it myself.  Paid the minimum, and had them move all the stuff I didnt want to do myself like furniture and appliances, also the heavy boxes I packed, garage stuff......

Well worth it.  However, some people spend bundles because they have the movers do everything including packing stuff, which in the end is just oodles of money and a movers dream.  You end up paying them a huge hourly rate to do a lot of easy work hours.  

Just do a combo of the two.  Save money and do the easy stuff yourself.

For some people moving will suck no matter what.  Some of you just have so much stuff it is ridiculous.

Got the bill for my move, $680.  They moved just the large items, we packed moved all of the boxes and unpacked.  figured out to $210 per hour for 3 guys.  Still well worth the $ spent.

Maybe they are the ones who cut down the tree after packing all that crap?

Definitely a good call brining on a moving company. I've done with and without one and it's such a royal pain to do it all yourself. Movers aren't cheap of course, but I've found that if you do some shopping around, you get different prices for the same job so a little time invested up front in finding the cheapest company is well worth it (shout out to Three Men and a Truck, who we used last year - I'd recommend them to anyone looking.) I can't emphasize how nice it was to drive our regular cars and not a truck to our new home and have everything there without having to do any of the lifting, loading, etc. 10/10 and would gladly pay again. 

Edit: sorry, didn't realize the date on this. 

Users who are viewing this thread