What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

Saw it for the 2nd time at the matinee. Place was mostly full. Movie is humming along at 20-30$ M per day.
it is running slightly behind TLJ after 10 days domestically.

TLJ: $368m

ROS: $361m

TLJ should pull into a much bigger lead though as they are coming into the Christmas days for days 11 and 12 which was a big boost for them and ROS will obviously drop on Monday and Tuesday.

We just got back.

I'll echo anybody who liked it fine, without loving it. Some silly writing throughout, but that's true of all the SW movies. Wrapped it up fine, gave a little bit to everybody fanwise, and tbh I was happy with Rey's background story. I did think the movie was going to end with 30 mins her and Ben dying and saving each other over and over and over. I also expected a more populated ghost chorus as well, with everybody showing up.

All in all I enjoyed this last trilogy. The first one was pretty cringey writing-wise, but obviously engrained in our youths and collective pyche. The second trilogy with jarjar was awful. I liked rogue 1 quite a bit and don't remember the Han Solo thing at all. I find the mandalorian terrible.

My daughter had a callback for some unnamed SW thing, so onward it goes. Doubtful she gets the part since neither my wife or I are famous, and she hasn't starred on Broadway...but hopefully whatever it is is worthwhile and doesn't get jarjarred.
I was completely with you until the mandalorian. I won't pretend it's the best Disney TV show, but it's pretty good imo. 

I was hoping for more ghosts. Just as a nod to the fans. 

The "and I am all the Jedi" line had my son and I both telling each other we are iron Man, cheesy as anything. 

-OZ- said:
I was completely with you until the mandalorian. I won't pretend it's the best Disney TV show, but it's pretty good imo. 

I was hoping for more ghosts. Just as a nod to the fans. 

The "and I am all the Jedi" line had my son and I both telling each other we are iron Man, cheesy as anything. 
There's definitely lots of corn in there.

Mando...I made my point in the show thread- writing is tween level. Like- written by tweens. I can't get past it.

Hey... Good to see you, gb! Hope you've been well.

But gtfo with that eyes bs
Good to be back... some chance I may be heading back north to NY depending on what’s next career wise.

And no joke... saw her lift the mask to show her eyes and l it really was like ####, that’s Keri Russel (confirmed when the credits ran)

Good to be back... some chance I may be heading back north to NY depending on what’s next career wise.

And no joke... saw her lift the mask to show her eyes and l it really was like ####, that’s Keri Russel (confirmed when the credits ran)
I didn’t recognize the eyes but thought I recognized her voice.  Honestly forgot about it until reading this thread.

I actually recognized her eyes. 

Hey... Good to see you, gb! Hope you've been well.

But gtfo with that eyes bs

Yep. 

Some of us appreciate the finer things in life, like Keri's eyes. 

I would have liked her to take off the helmet in the end scene with Poe. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/12/10/why-keri-russell-loves-zorii-star-wars-rise-skywalker-helmet/2630517001/

Any chance the next movies include Zorii and Poe? 

Yep. 

Some of us appreciate the finer things in life, like Keri's eyes. 

I would have liked her to take off the helmet in the end scene with Poe. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/12/10/why-keri-russell-loves-zorii-star-wars-rise-skywalker-helmet/2630517001/

Any chance the next movies include Zorii and Poe? 
If you appreciate the finer things, aka Keri Russell, you should google "Keri Russell on Jimmy Fallon". I think you’ll enjoy that. 

I detest gigantic bows. 
I’m talking about the length of her skirt, for cryin out loud! :)  
She’s fighting that skirt every time she shifts in her seat, like it's a battle of good against evil, where good is a PG rating and evil is my perverted mind. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think another concept people are saying they went back on with 9 is that anybody can be strong with the force.   That is what Johnson was going for with Rey's parents and broom boy at the start.  Also with people like Finn and Maz seemingly having the force.  Then Ep went right back everything having to do with a specific bloodline that we have seen before.  

I read an interview with Johnson saying that he did what he thought was best with Luke when he had to try to explain why he was hiding by himself and what his headspace would be like to get him to that point.  Abrams didn't really set anything up in that department in 7, just that Rey was trying to find Luke and he had disappeared.   

So what I gather from most of the pods and critics is these main two themes, plus the fact that Johnson at least tried to do something that wasn't a rehash of 4-6.   
I disagree that they went back on this.  Hinting at Finn having some Force in him continued.  He was encouraged to trust his feelings, and in the end he did.  That wasn't a throw-away, imo.  It was more hinting at what was started in 8.

Haven’t read any of the thread, but I really liked it and it wrapped up this trilogy about as well as could be expected. I liked the call backs to the other trilogies, and there was even more than a little influence from the Knights of the Old Republic video game, which had an awesome story.

My issues with it were length and the fact that it seemed like 2 movies cut together in the way it bounced around and didn’t really give itself any time to breath. IMO this seems like a byproduct of giving the second movie in the trilogy to someone who clearly was not on the same page as the author of 1 & 3. I cannot fathom why Disney thought that was a good idea. In any event, Last of the Jedi was one of my least favorite Star Wars films, so I did not have any of the angst about this movie walking anything back from it’s predecessor. 

I disagree that they went back on this.  Hinting at Finn having some Force in him continued.  He was encouraged to trust his feelings, and in the end he did.  That wasn't a throw-away, imo.  It was more hinting at what was started in 8.
I guess.  Still basically all about rey being a palpatine and the only people with real power are that way because of a bloodline.  

I guess.  Still basically all about rey being a palpatine and the only people with real power are that way because of a bloodline.  
It was.  And they definitely attributed the depth of that power to her bloodline.  And Finn's definitely wasn't explored any more than the hints.

Were they ghost ships?  I thought they showed some crew inside one.
Honestly this is the only lingering question I have.  I assume the book may give us some color but who knows.  The only disappointment I have about episode 9 is that there wasn’t more.  I loved the storyline so much that I could have gotten another 30 minutes to explain things a bit more.  At some point I’m sure they will come up with an explanation.  

I think I need to see it again before I can completely form an opinion.  Initial thoughts are JJ just does the original trilogy over again to play it safe, just bigger.  Here's another Death Star... but bigger!  Here's the Emperor again... but scarier!  Also, some cuts seemed a little too quick and things felt rushed overall.  Run time was 40 minutes shorter than Endgame and I wouldn't have complained if if ran a little longer.

It was a nice touch that Chewie finally got his long-deserved medal from ANH and it was fun explaining that to the wife and kids.

Were they ghost ships?  I thought they showed some crew inside one.
I just assumed Palps was so efficient at creating the things and kick starting them, he might as well be flying them all too. Cause #### it. It looks cool. Who cares how it works.

Honestly this is the only lingering question I have.  I assume the book may give us some color but who knows.  The only disappointment I have about episode 9 is that there wasn’t more.  I loved the storyline so much that I could have gotten another 30 minutes to explain things a bit more.  At some point I’m sure they will come up with an explanation.  
They emphasized that the First Order has basically been stripping the worlds under its control of all the kids for a while now. It’s not the biggest leap this series has taken to assume they had the manpower to put at least skeleton crews on the ships. 

Well wonder when the next Star Wars movie will be out?! Saying hey are going to be in the going on a pretty long hiatus from what I hear.

Finding a crew to man the ships is easier than finding people to build them. 

Randal: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than an all but dead emperor of an all but dead empire had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on those things: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
Dante: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
Randal: Exactly. In order to get them all built quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
Dante: All right, so even if independent contractors are building all these star destroyers, why are you uneasy with where they're going to find a crew to run them?
Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job needed to be paid. All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden you find out this government contract is from a government that doesn't even exist any more. They have no citizens. They have no tax revenue. They have nothing. You get to pay day and find out you're screwed. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living. All these innocent contractors victimized financially before one ship even launches, and your biggest question is where the crew is? Sheesh!

Finding a crew to man the ships is easier than finding people to build them. 

Randal: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than an all but dead emperor of an all but dead empire had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on those things: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
Dante: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
Randal: Exactly. In order to get them all built quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
Dante: All right, so even if independent contractors are building all these star destroyers, why are you uneasy with where they're going to find a crew to run them?
Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job needed to be paid. All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden you find out this government contract is from a government that doesn't even exist any more. They have no citizens. They have no tax revenue. They have nothing. You get to pay day and find out you're screwed. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living. All these innocent contractors victimized financially before one ship even launches, and your biggest question is where the crew is? Sheesh!
They knew what they were getting into when they took on the job. 

Prequel trilogy featured entire fleets run by droids.  No reason to assume that since Palpatine had enough forge and foundry capacity to turn out a hundred star destroyers he couldn't just have made all the battle droids needed to run them too...

I just find it odd you are so fine with letting the novelization explain the movie. Imo that should be on the filmmakers.  
I’m not “so fine” with letting the novel explain.  I said it’s the lingering question I have and that I wish the movie was a bit longer.   

It’s ok to express a slight disappointment with the movie AND also think the movie was great.  As an example the airplane falling out of the sky was a ridiculous and absurd plot line for Breaking Bad.  But the show was the best I’ve seen.  No movie bats 1.000

They emphasized that the First Order has basically been stripping the worlds under its control of all the kids for a while now. It’s not the biggest leap this series has taken to assume they had the manpower to put at least skeleton crews on the ships. 
This seems plausiblez Maybe one day they will definitively answer those questions in another show or movie. 

Well wonder when the next Star Wars movie will be out?! Saying hey are going to be in the going on a pretty long hiatus from what I hear.
2022 there is a movie scheduled.  Also mandalorian 2 coming out.  2 new series start filming in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread