What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

This is me. I just refuse to nitpick every little thing. It’s not a documentary, it’s fun. There were definitely a few things I left the theater wondering about but now I can’t even remember what they were. 
We all have different levels for this.  To me, nit picks are tiny things and mostly not related to plot.  Something like Andy posted above - flying troopers.  Or that a spacecraft wouldn't maneuver a certain way, or Chewy's medal wasn't the proper metal, etc..    If something like that is truly taking away from your enjoyment of movie, that's one thing.  JMO though, but talking about bigger things or plot is different.  

We all have different levels for this.  To me, nit picks are tiny things and mostly not related to plot.  Something like Andy posted above - flying troopers.  Or that a spacecraft wouldn't maneuver a certain way, or Chewy's medal wasn't the proper metal, etc..    If something like that is truly taking away from your enjoyment of movie, that's one thing.  JMO though, but talking about bigger things or plot is different.  
Sure.  Agree 100%.  And we all have different levels, hence my YMMV.  But the key here is that every one of these movies has sizable plot holes or they make you look past things.  If these movies continue to not meet your expectations, I would suggest stop going to see them.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.  But what I mean is if the threshold to your enjoyment keeps being surpassed, then you should look elsewhere for your entertainment.

I mean, in A New Hope, they managed to build a spaceship the size of a moon.  And not one single nerd went, "Wait a second.  WTF?  Where'd they get the material?  What about the manpower?  How are they powering that thing?  Also, how are they using sabers that are made of light?  That's impossible!  And how do these spaceships exit and enter the atmosphere so easily?  And I'm just supposed to accept that these vehicles can travel the speed of light?  And even at the speed of light, traveling in to some spots in the galaxies would take hundreds of years..."

Like it was said above: it's meant to be fun, not a documentary.

ROS is falling a bit behind TLJ in the domestic box office (when comparing same amount of days in release).  ROS is still tracking to do over a billion world wide.  Looks like it should land around $1.1b or so.

NewlyRetired said:
ROS is falling a bit behind TLJ in the domestic box office (when comparing same amount of days in release).  ROS is still tracking to do over a billion world wide.  Looks like it should land around $1.1b or so.
so a total failure then ;)

Capella said:
This is me. I just refuse to nitpick every little thing. It’s not a documentary, it’s fun. There were definitely a few things I left the theater wondering about but now I can’t even remember what they were. 
That dagger from ancient sith time leading to a room on the death star is a pretty bad one. Make be that the death star landed on an ancient temple or something instead at least. 

That dagger from ancient sith time leading to a room on the death star is a pretty bad one. Make be that the death star landed on an ancient temple or something instead at least. 
The worst part of the dagger gimmick is that you had to be standing in an exact position on the planet (of which they had no knowledge of) for it to work to give the heroes the location of the room :)

That caused me to raise an eyebrow too. But the  one upside in cramming multiple movies worth of plot points into one is that the film moves on so fast you don’t really have time to dwell on it. 

The worst part of the dagger gimmick is that you had to be standing in an exact position on the planet (of which they had no knowledge of) for it to work to give the heroes the location of the room :)
Could the whole gimmick depend on an assumption that the seeker is going to rely on the Force to help them figure out where to stand? 

TheIronSheik said:
I thought it was funny, my 16 year old daughter said, "If you think about it, Star Wars is just like what Harry Potter's great, great, great grandkids will turn into.  They are just wizards with better technology."

She's not wrong.
Lol.  your daughter might want to ask the good folks at Screen Junkies for a royalty check for the video they released today :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9bf8VkCN0M

TheIronSheik said:
Sure.  Agree 100%.  And we all have different levels, hence my YMMV.  But the key here is that every one of these movies has sizable plot holes or they make you look past things.  If these movies continue to not meet your expectations, I would suggest stop going to see them.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.  But what I mean is if the threshold to your enjoyment keeps being surpassed, then you should look elsewhere for your entertainment.

I mean, in A New Hope, they managed to build a spaceship the size of a moon.  And not one single nerd went, "Wait a second.  WTF?  Where'd they get the material?  What about the manpower?  How are they powering that thing?  Also, how are they using sabers that are made of light?  That's impossible!  And how do these spaceships exit and enter the atmosphere so easily?  And I'm just supposed to accept that these vehicles can travel the speed of light?  And even at the speed of light, traveling in to some spots in the galaxies would take hundreds of years..."

Like it was said above: it's meant to be fun, not a documentary.
1.  I have 0 clue what YMMV means.  

2.  Not meeting expectations <> not enjoying it or not being entertained.  Don't know why I have to keep saying that if I really don't like something, I stop watching it - ie Transformers, The Walking Dead, etc..  I don't watch stuff that I truly don't like, despite what The Fanatic and others think.  

3.  I still don't think the criticisms being floated around in this thread is anything like the bolded, but maybe that's were we disagree too. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

TLDR:  Disney screwed JJ.  Changed the movie a ton from JJs final cut.  Lame changes were made to satisfy the Chinese market.   
The bolded is happening more and more with movies.   I have read other articles about different movies that said similar - put in specific wording, people, product placement that would appeal to them since it's a big part of the overseas $.  

Reading through that I don’t know how it all stands up. Why wouldn’t they just edit out the force ghost scene for China viewing? Movie studios change scenes in movies all the time for over there. 

The finished product is better than the "original intent" described in that nerdgasm.  I believe it not at all.

The finished product is better than the "original intent" described in that nerdgasm.  I believe it not at all.
It may be true but I agree that nothing in there would have made the movie materially better (except maybe his idea to split it into two movies). 

It may be true but I agree that nothing in there would have made the movie materially better (except maybe his idea to split it into two movies). 
The force ghosts scene at the end does sound cool. I’d love to know if they actually filmed that. 

TheIronSheik said:
If you haven't watched The Mandalorian, don't read the spoilers below:

Near the beginning, when they were being chased in the desert, the sandmobile launched a couple stormtroopers up in the air only for them to fly.  And Finn said, "They can fly now?"  I think this is a direct tie to Moff Giddeon.  If he is a Mandalorian, or even if not, he obviously has something to do with them since he holds the Darksaber.  And it seems like the First Order now is using armor or at least jet packs on armor much like the Mandalorians.  

I think it was in Rebels - didn’t the Imperials have Mandalorian stormtroopers that used jetpacks?

1.  I have 0 clue what YMMV means.  

2.  Not meeting expectations <> not enjoying it or not being entertained.  Don't know why I have to keep saying that if I really don't like something, I stop watching it - ie Transformers, The Walking Dead, etc..  I don't watch stuff that I truly don't like, despite what The Fanatic and others think.  

3.  I still don't think the criticisms being floated around in this thread is anything like the bolded, but maybe that's were we disagree too. 
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Look, GB, you know I've been supporting your case across threads, so no worries from what I'm saying.  All I meant was that if you enjoy these movies, enjoy them.  If you don't, don't watch them.  I wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.  

Just saw it.  Pretty terrible to be honest

Liked it ok until right after the fight on the old death star. After that it really just went off the rails for me.

It's sad that I have read probably 10 or so star wars books and played a few video games that have better stories than these latest movies.  Just really sad. 

I have no desire to watch this again. 

Watched it last night thanks to losing electricity (finally got it back his morning).  Spur of  the moment thing.  Hadn't seen anything on this, so pretty much went in blind.

Resulting opinion - easily the worst of the SW series, and that's saying something (heck, I liked he Ewoks!).  There were a couple cool spots (ocean scenes, the X-wing coming out of the water), but otherwise this was a disjointed, hackneyed mess.  Whomever wrote the script should be banned from the profession for life.  I've never seen so many ridiculous plot holes and thoroughly overused plot drivers in a story.

It was also incredibly obvious that the merchandise execs wrote parts of it - the "cute" little kids at the festival, the new droid, etc.  Nothing but merchandise insertion - obvious and distracting.

A waste of $40.  Should have chosen Knives Out.
Or 1917.  

Liked it ok until right after the fight on the old death star. After that it really just went off the rails for me.

It's sad that I have read probably 10 or so star wars books and played a few video games that have better stories than these latest movies.  Just really sad. 

Counterpoint: it was good 

My wife watched the original trilogy this weekend for the first time and loved Ep1 :shock:  

Found 2 boring but fine and didn’t love 3. Thought the transition to Vader was extremely stupid (it was). 
Not as stupid as bringing the emperor back to life because they cant come up with an original story.

Counterpoint: it was good 
Are you sure we watched the same movie?  It's just like the last two.  A few cool scenes but man cmon they can do better than this.   I found all the emperor stuff just borderline cringe worthy.   Felt  totally lazy to me.  I actually think this was the worst of the new trilogy.  And the other two were not great.

Sorry that I want a little more from my star wars.

I did like the ocean light saber fight and several of the scenes paying tribute to the past.  But the overall story of this latest effort was ridiculous, predictable, and boring.

Dude,  it's a movie with sabers made of light and talking droids - what do you want??! ;)

This sums it up pretty well for me.

Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don’t feel much of anything at all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This sums it up pretty well for me.

Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don’t feel much of anything at all. 
Nah I felt a lot. I get why it didn’t work for you. It wasn’t cohesive at times but I just went into it looking for a nostalgic fun time and I got it. All I wanted. There are so many other shows and movies I can critically think about but I refuse to do that with Star Wars.

Nah I felt a lot. I get why it didn’t work for you. It wasn’t cohesive at times but I just went into it looking for a nostalgic fun time and I got it. All I wanted. There are so many other shows and movies I can critically think about but I refuse to do that with Star Wars.
That's twice in one page - why do you refuse to think about SW critically? 

That's twice in one page - why do you refuse to think about SW critically? 
I don’t really keep track of how many posts I make. 

I refuse to to do so because I just want to enjoy something from my childhood and I know it’s a big dumb space opera that was originally meant for kids. Could it be tighter? Sure? Do I care? Not really. 

The bolded is happening more and more with movies.   I have read other articles about different movies that said similar - put in specific wording, people, product placement that would appeal to them since it's a big part of the overseas $.  
Ironically China hates Star wars. Always has. It only aired for 2 days there. Made about $2-3m. Guess it was worth the changes to them then.

meh. it was well made and acted but it was just another recycling of the originals. Ever Ray Ben struggle scene was horrible. too bad the movie didn't end with Ray having a lizard face like gramps. and bringing back the emperor? 

Which makes absolutely no sense. But if your expectations are low, I guess you can't be disappointed.

Things I liked 

The ocean lightsaber duel was really good.  It's a good thing it was considering it was basically the only lightsaber duel in the whole movie.

The other lightsaber stuff was when rey/kylo fought from different locations through the force.  I also thought this was well done.

The little alien engineer guy was hilarious.

All the throwbacks to the old movies.  Like raising the xwing, chewbaccas medal, etc

Liked rey flying the xwing

Force healing. 

Less screen time for several annoying characters 

Things I didnt like. Way bigger list.

The overall story.  Felt like 3 different movies.   Looking back last jedi was probably the best for the story which isn't saying much. They clearly had little idea where they were taking this thing and it showed.  It would have been nice to see some thought put into it.  For all its faults,  at least last jedi had that.

Bringing back the emperor.  Look I love me some emperor.  Hes great.  But he was the main bad guy in 5 of the 6 old movies.  Never was seen in a new hope.  Do something different please.  Lazy.

The way they showed the emperor reminded me of some kinda crap horror movie. Terrible 

The emperor shooting lightning into the sky and destroying ships.  Wtf 

Rey being the emperors granddaughter.  Are you ####ing joking?  They spend all this time in the last movie going on and on about how shes a nobody to throw this in.  Beyond stupid.

Every star destroyer has a death star laser on it.  Lame.

Lando, who has been mia for 40 years suddenly just shows up and somehow brings the biggest fleet ever in a star wars movie.  Ridiculous. 

Knights of ren.  These guys could have been something.  They finally show in this movie but have no lines and no lightsabers.  They looked like some kind of metal band from last century.    Dumb.

Kylo gets knocked down a bottomless pit but somehow climbs back up and saves the day.  Ugh

Kylo, like Luke in the last movie,   just dies after using the force to save rey.  I didnt like it with Luke and it was worse when kylo did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I liked 

The ocean lightsaber duel was really good.  It's a good thing it was considering it was basically the only lightsaber duel in the whole movie.

The other lightsaber stuff was when rey/kylo fought from different locations through the force.  I also thought this was well done.

The little alien engineer guy was hilarious.

All the throwbacks to the old movies.  Like raising the xwing, chewbaccas medal, etc

Liked rey flying the xwing

Force healing. 

Less screen time for several annoying characters 

Things I didnt like. Way bigger list.

The overall story.  Felt like 3 different movies.   Looking back last jedi was probably the best for the story which isn't saying much. They clearly had little idea where they were taking this thing and it showed.  It would have been nice to see some thought put into it.  For all its faults,  at least last jedi had that.

Bringing back the emperor.  Look I love me some emperor.  Hes great.  But he was the main bad guy in 5 of the 6 old movies.  Never was seen in a new hope.  Do something different please.  Lazy.

The way they showed the emperor reminded me of some kinda crap horror movie. Terrible 

The emperor shooting lightning into the sky and destroying ships.  Wtf 

Rey being the emperors granddaughter.  Are you ####ing joking?  They spend all this time in the last movie going on and on about how shes a nobody to throw this in.  Beyond stupid.

Every star destroyer has a death star laser on it.  Lame.

Lando, who has been mia for 40 years suddenly just shows up and somehow brings the biggest fleet ever in a star wars movie.  Ridiculous. 

Knights of ren.  These guys could have been something.  They finally show in this movie but have no lines and no lightsabers.  They looked like some kind of metal band from last century.    Dumb.

Kylo gets knocked down a bottomless pit but somehow climbs back up and saves the day.  Ugh

Kylo, like Luke in the last movie,   just dies after using the force to save rey.  I didnt like it with Luke and it was worse when kylo did it.
You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, and I'm not questioning your thoughts here, but I'm not sure I understand the bolded part.  And I've heard other say this, not just you.  I actually liked that because that felt like a huge twist.  Something that they tried to make you think one thing, but then revealed this huge surprise.  Going into the TFA, everyone was like, "Rey has to be related to someone.  Who is it?"  That was a huge discussion.  In fact, it was the like the biggest discussion.  So by throwing you off the trail in TLJ, I felt like that made the reveal in TRoS that much better.  For me, I honestly went in thinking that she was a nobody.  So the reveal was a "WTF" (in a good way) moment for me.  

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, and I'm not questioning your thoughts here, but I'm not sure I understand the bolded part.  And I've heard other say this, not just you.  I actually liked that because that felt like a huge twist.  Something that they tried to make you think one thing, but then revealed this huge surprise.  Going into the TFA, everyone was like, "Rey has to be related to someone.  Who is it?"  That was a huge discussion.  In fact, it was the like the biggest discussion.  So by throwing you off the trail in TLJ, I felt like that made the reveal in TRoS that much better.  For me, I honestly went in thinking that she was a nobody.  So the reveal was a "WTF" (in a good way) moment for me.  
i didnt feel that at all. 

it seemed like they changed their mind for the third movie to me in an attempt to have something to add to the already weak story.  i actually liked the idea that the main force user characters dont all have to be related to each other.  but whatever

i didnt feel that at all. 

it seemed like they changed their mind for the third movie to me in an attempt to have something to add to the already weak story.  i actually liked the idea that the main force user characters dont all have to be related to each other.  but whatever
It's similar to just about every other remake/sequel/etc. that comes out.   Take ideas from the originals and twist it - gender, good/evil, roles,  whatever.  So here we have a similar thing, but :shock:  now the good character comes bloodline of the Dark Side and the bad character comes from the Jedi bloodline.  

To me the issue was Kylo Ren went all over the galaxy assembling his collection of Darth Vader memorabilia, including digging up whatever swamp to recover the remains of the burned helmet from his funeral pyre, but, while there, apparently never visited the Death Star wreck and the throne room that represented the height of the power of the dark side and which had that wayfinder just sitting there next to it. So instead he had to kill lord only knows how many other people to go get the other one instead god only knows where.
Probably just bought the helmet off of Ebay.

The biggest problems were

1. The emperor got jiggy with someone?  Might be reading to much here but that certainly seems non-consensual.  I guess the emperor raping someone wouldn't be out of character but still.  :X

2. Were her parents not force users? By choice or does talent skip a generation? 

The biggest problems were

1. The emperor got jiggy with someone?  Might be reading to much here but that certainly seems non-consensual.  I guess the emperor raping someone wouldn't be out of character but still.  :X

2. Were her parents not force users? By choice or does talent skip a generation? 
Annakin was an immaculate conception.  I'd think that Rey was probably the same way.  Of course, when he was the Senator, I'm sure was more desirable than when he was the emperor.  

I don't Shmi was a force user either.

Annakin was an immaculate conception.  I'd think that Rey was probably the same way.  Of course, when he was the Senator, I'm sure was more desirable than when he was the emperor.  

I don't Shmi was a force user either.
Nobody claimed Anakin to be their grandson. 

Shmi didn't have to be a user, she was just a vessel.  

You could be right, he could have had kids while acting as senator.  So now he's an absentee father too. Man, destroy worlds, torture people, whatever. But rape and abandoning your kid is just a bridge too far. 

Nobody claimed Anakin to be their grandson. 

Shmi didn't have to be a user, she was just a vessel.  

You could be right, he could have had kids while acting as senator.  So now he's an absentee father too. Man, destroy worlds, torture people, whatever. But rape and abandoning your kid is just a bridge too far. 
What I'm saying is that Annakin might have been MADE the same way Rey was.  How do we know that the Emperor didn't do some sort of immaculate conception with Rey?  We know it's possible in this universe.  So why couldn't it have been done for her?

Users who are viewing this thread