What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2 Viewers)

No all of that is in the extra material.

How about how did Palpatine survive? Or we just good with space magic and call it a day? That's where we're at with Star Wars? It's basically Dr Who where there are no rules and anything is ok as long as it looks cool?
The Emperor that was thrown down the hole was just a clone of the real one. :shrug:

Awesome- but of course not everyone agrees with that, and it's not because they are expecting The Godfather level movie.  
Godfather level movie?  They puttered out after the second movie, too.  Godfather wishes it could have told as good a story over 11 movies like SW.

No all of that is in the extra material.

How about how did Palpatine survive? Or we just good with space magic and call it a day? That's where we're at with Star Wars? It's basically Dr Who where there are no rules and anything is ok as long as it looks cool?
Pretty much everything that goes down a shaft in Star Wars comes back later. Darth Maul (in Solo). Luke's light saber (in TFA), and Palpatine (in ROS). Heck, even Obi Wan survived a fall in what was essentially a shaft. 

Pretty much everything that goes down a shaft in Star Wars comes back later. Darth Maul (in Solo). Luke's light saber (in TFA), and Palpatine (in ROS). Heck, even Obi Wan survived a fall in what was essentially a shaft. 
Did we ever find out how what's-her-name came up with it?

Han, Chewie, Luke, and Leia all went down the garbage shaft (ANH). Luke went down a Cloud City shaft after falling a bajillion feet (ESB).

Holy cow! All of Star Wars can be boiled down to surviving falling down shafts! Why did we never see this before!?!?

Han, Chewie, Luke, and Leia all went down the garbage shaft (ANH). Luke went down a Cloud City shaft after falling a bajillion feet (ESB).

Holy cow! All of Star Wars can be boiled down to surviving falling down shafts! Why did we never see this before!?!?
Clearly Jyn Erso's mistake was climbing up the shaft in Rogue One.  She probably would have survived if she had just jumped with the data file.

Went to see this last Monday. About 20 minutes in I had a sorta epiphany about these new run of Star Wars....

These movies all have incredible visuals and hyper creative worlds. The sets, settings and characters are all so well done.

The story might not be exactly how everyone wants them to go but you really gotta be an ####### to say they suck. 

Sure, they don’t live up to the original 3 from my youth but in all honesty, what does? Sports don’t. Video games are better than they’ve ever been but I’d still rather play an old NES game over the majority of what’s out today. 

These movies are a lot of fun and I enjoy them. It’s really that simple. The rest of the population can ##### and moan while I enjoy my popcorn and lightsabers. 

The Emperor that was thrown down the hole was just a clone of the real one. :shrug:
This isn't that far fetched an answer.  The Sith have a history of messing around with clones.  It makes sense Palpatine would have one ready just in case.

The real answer is that Palpatine survived because Rian Johnson killed off Abram's villain.  

Scoresman said:
This isn't that far fetched an answer.  The Sith have a history of messing around with clones.  It makes sense Palpatine would have one ready just in case.

The real answer is that Palpatine survived because Rian Johnson killed off Abram's villain.  
They did the clone thing in the EU and it was fine. The difference was that it wasn't an ancient dried up husk VRing into other bodies from some far off planet. It was the real Palpatine that died and then had a backup plan. He was a younger clone with his memories implanted in a fresh body. The other way is just weird. 

And yes the 2nd part of your post is the logistical reason. 

They did the clone thing in the EU and it was fine. The difference was that it wasn't an ancient dried up husk VRing into other bodies from some far off planet. It was the real Palpatine that died and then had a backup plan. He was a younger clone with his memories implanted in a fresh body. The other way is just weird. 

And yes the 2nd part of your post is the logistical reason. 
Has anyone ever died from falling down a shaft in the SWU?

Has anyone ever died from falling down a shaft in the SWU?
Well they never brought Mace back... Yet. And Han stayed dead even though they gave him dream dad powers. Also Phasma is dead I guess but she doesn't really count because no one cares. It's really only Maul and now Palpatine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they never brought Mace back... Yet. And Han stayed dead even though they gave him dream dad powers. Also Phasma is dead I guess but she doesn't really count because no one cares. It's really only Maul and now Palpatine. 
Luke fell down and shaft and didn't sustain a single injury.  I mean, he lost a hand, but that was prior to falling.

Are you implying we have superpowers that keep people from getting hurt with our gaze? Sweet.
There was no mystery there. We saw Luke fall. He guided himself into a side tube. Still nearly fell to his death and would have if his force sensitive sister didn't feel him nearby. 

There was no mystery there. We saw Luke fall. He guided himself into a side tube. Still nearly fell to his death and would have if his force sensitive sister didn't feel him nearby. 
I get what you're saying, GB, but no one could survive that fall that Luke had.  Also, his sister floated out into space without any protection and was able to "force space walk" back into the spaceship.  These people are using telekinesis to move things and do things.  I'm just not sure why all of that is totally feasible, but the Emperor making it out of the Death Star somehow is such a crazy idea. 

I get what you're saying, GB, but no one could survive that fall that Luke had.  Also, his sister floated out into space without any protection and was able to "force space walk" back into the spaceship.  These people are using telekinesis to move things and do things.  I'm just not sure why all of that is totally feasible, but the Emperor making it out of the Death Star somehow is such a crazy idea. 
Yea well everything in that movie is bull####. So I don't use that as a reference.

:lol:

As much as that made me laugh, I was referencing more than one movie.
On palps survival. I can buy him dying and then having a backup body ready. The fact that he has a decrepit sack of meat that's been hooked up to a generator for centuries and he somehow just sends out meat puppets that he logs into to run things is dumb. Also him trying to saying he could see Vader's betrayal coming and it was all part of the plan is even dumber. 

Like Kylo said in his reaction video. He was the Dark Lord of Failing and then pretending it was all part of the plan.

On palps survival. I can buy him dying and then having a backup body ready. The fact that he has a decrepit sack of meat that's been hooked up to a generator for centuries and he somehow just sends out meat puppets that he logs into to run things is dumb. Also him trying to saying he could see Vader's betrayal coming and it was all part of the plan is even dumber. 

Like Kylo said in his reaction video. He was the Dark Lord of Failing and then pretending it was all part of the plan.
just brutally dumb

OK, I'm late to the party. Just saw it.

Really enjoyed it. I was amazed how many emotional moments in it affected me. Yes, it's very sentimental in places, but for me, that worked well.

Loved Rey's Palpatine reveal - didn't see that coming at all.

I must watch it a few more times.

Turns out Palpatine's spirit lived on, I guess like a force ghost, but then was able to inhabit a clone.  

Case solved.
When you say "turns out" do you mean this is confirmed somewhere, or are you just changing your own assessment.

FTR, this new theory is what I assumed as I watched the movie.

When you say "turns out" do you mean this is confirmed somewhere, or are you just changing your own assessment.

FTR, this new theory is what I assumed as I watched the movie.
So I guess a book came out (or is coming out in the next couple of days) that is like the movie, but in book form.  Something like that.  Not sure.  I'm not a super SW nerd, plus I'm not a fast reader.  So I'm not going to be the best person to answer this.  

But, in the new book, it confirms this.  

Saw it this weekend with my 12 year old son. Thought it was great. I also think Rey (can't recall actresses name) might be one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood right now. Her mouth and smile...oh my lord it just kills me. I think she's gorgeous, is it just me? 

Great final trailer.  Good lord, Daisy is so pretty.  
I think she's GORGEOUS. that smile...I'd say she has what Julia Roberts has, one of the prettiest smiles and mouths in Hollywood. HUGE fan. If she just had a few more curves on her she'd be the perfect woman in my world ;)

As much as I didn’t like Last Jedi, ignoring that movie and trashing the the scripts for Skywalker using JJ last minute was a huge mistake. Made the whole trilogy feel like a waste of time. Those script leaks seemed like a good movie and actual ending. 

Users who are viewing this thread