What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

With how disney has taken it how else can you go about it?
Disney has done a fantastic job with the series.  Rogue One was awesome, Force Awakens was awesome, Solo was solid, Mandalorian was awesome.  

The Last Jedi is obviously the one that generates a ton of controversy but this is a standard we don’t hold other film franchises to (Avengers age of Ultron anyone )

Not all movies are masterpieces.

But did you see the prequels?  It’s a good thing Disney took over or Hayden Christiansen would still be the last new Star Wars movie you’d have to watch 

Went through about 50 previews on RT.  Didn't read the previews, just read the little blurb that each reviewer wrote.

It's amazing that as a society we've allowed these nobodies to play such a large role into whether we will like our movies. 

The good news:  Many of the negative reviewers....didn't exactly "look" like Star Wars fans and from their quick "hot take", you could tell they weren't.  Also the most common theme was "unoriginal" and "catered too much to fans".

So as someone who is a fan, I'll probably love it.  Rian Johnson tried to be original and it blew up in his face.  This one looks to be back to the root.

I've also seen a lot of talk about how this one hits the emotions but fails to deliver on plot. Which is weird as other reviews claim he's trying to pack 2 movies into one.

Not sure what to expect, but I suspect it's a movie made for fans and goes a bit over the heads of those simpleton critics.

Disney has done a fantastic job with the series.  Rogue One was awesome, Force Awakens was awesome, Solo was solid, Mandalorian was awesome.  

The Last Jedi is obviously the one that generates a ton of controversy but this is a standard we don’t hold other film franchises to (Avengers age of Ultron anyone )

But did you see the prequels?  It’s a good thing Disney took over or Hayden Christiansen would still be the last new Star Wars movie you’d have to watch 
Sure I did. They had their moments but weren't great either.  Look I dont hate these movies I just dont expect much from them either. 

As for all the movies above you call awesome.  We have different definitions of that word.  Rouge one was great in the last hour.  Force awakens had great moments but awesome?  Sorry I dont agree.  

Force Awakens was a fantastic reintroduction of the Star Wars Universe to today's fans. It wasn't a perfect movie but absolutely did what it needed to do. 

I expect a similar type movie here. They have this great need to wrap up the story. By definition the movie won't be controversial and almost has to be a little vanilla with fan service and a tidy ending. I am sure it's going to be fun and I can't wait.

Won't bee peeking at any reviews either.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

Sure I did. They had their moments but weren't great either.  Look I dont hate these movies I just dont expect much from them either. 

As for all the movies above you call awesome.  We have different definitions of that word.  Rouge one was great in the last hour.  Force awakens had great moments but awesome?  Sorry I dont agree.  
I just find it absolutely insane that there are still Star Wars fans crying about Disney buying them when Disney has done so much awesome stuff for the franchise.  If you are one of those people (and IRL I haven't met a single person like this) that literally doesn't like anything about the Disney era, than I guess we can agree to disagree.  But I think anyone in that situation should realize that they are in the vast minority and not talk as if their opinion on Disney purchasing Star Wars has any merit.

I just find it absolutely insane that there are still Star Wars fans crying about Disney buying them when Disney has done so much awesome stuff for the franchise.  If you are one of those people (and IRL I haven't met a single person like this) that literally doesn't like anything about the Disney era, than I guess we can agree to disagree.  But I think anyone in that situation should realize that they are in the vast minority and not talk as if their opinion on Disney purchasing Star Wars has any merit.
Tap the brakes, bro.

shader said:
whos crying?  all i said was i dont think they are awesome like you.  they are ok.

shader said:
Not sure what to expect, but I suspect it's a movie made for fans and goes a bit over the heads of those simpleton critics.
A current rating of 57 indicates  more then a movie going over some critics heads.

Felt like a Star Wars movie. Was a little all over the place. Numerous things that make zero sense. Too many loose ends from the force awakens. Better than the last jedi (but nothing as good as the fight scenes in that film). I really think the last jedi screwed the whole trilogy. 

current rankings:

Empire

Hope

Jedi

Rogue

Awakens

Sith

Menace

Clones

Skywalker

Last

(solo is irrelevant)

A group of 25 friends just left the movie.  Virtually everyone loved it.  No idea why the critics score is so low.  I’d suspect the audience score will be much higher.

Just got back. Really liked it. Maybe not a great movie, but I thought it was  great Star Wars movie. So many great callbacks to the other movies... not sure how Star Wars fans can have too much of a problem with it. 

Just got back. Really liked it. Maybe not a great movie, but I thought it was  great Star Wars movie. So many great callbacks to the other movies... not sure how Star Wars fans can have too much of a problem with it. 
Well I typed essentially the same review as you at exactly the same time :lmao:

The Good: It was entertaining, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than TFA or TLJ (neither of which I cared for much.) Lots of good action scenes and some stunning visuals. The Leia footage worked well except in some scenes it was definitely awkward and disjointed, but they did a good job considering the circumstances.
It’s a satisfying conclusion to the overall story, and answered some of the bigger questions. Rey and Kylo Ren’s characters get the most screen time and their stories paid off well IMO.

The Bad: My biggest complaint is still how derivative this trilogy is of the originals. This movie has some of the same issues as the other two of just recycling a lot of the same overarching plot once again with some new twists or in a different order, I think it’s less a glaring problem in this one but still there for the nit pickers. The first half is very rushed, tons of jumping around from plot point to plot point and music video type quick cuts from scene to scene. Thankfully that settled down in the 2nd half. There’s so much going on that there’s not enough time for really any other characters outside of Rey and Kylo. Finn and Poe are there and get a few moments but mostly they spend their time fighting so their stories felt rushed or incomplete to me with some new characters they spend most of their screen time with coming out of nowhere. Feel like a lot of those two seem to have been left on the cutting room floor for time.

Overall a solid and satisfying conclusion, enough to like despite the negatives that even some of the most jaded posters on here should still enjoy it.

Wish they hadn’t of bothered to show all the shots of other planets fighting off the first order and resolving the war so quickly. Even with the Sith and Skywalker story resolved, there’s a lot that could have been kept going there for future movies. Plus it once again felt really derivative of Lucas’ terrible additions in the Special Editions to the end of RotJ. I half expected to see a Star Destroyer exploding over Naboo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved it. Definitely a bit wonky at times with the back and forth and some of the “we need to get this thing at this place” stuff but it hit the right beats and had a great ending. Thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy. 

All I can say is it was a tidy littlE package with a neat little bow on it.  Very Disney like.

could have been a lot worse

Loved it. Definitely a bit wonky at times with the back and forth and some of the “we need to get this thing at this place” stuff but it hit the right beats and had a great ending. Thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy. 
Did you go the 3D IMAX, 3D digital or digital non-3D?

I also enjoyed Ep 7 :)   

Overall main story rankings:

Empire strikes back

New Hope

ROTJ

Force Awakens

Rise of Skywalker

Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the clones

Phantom Mentace
Hot damn, that’s a great list! The only change for me is moving TFA a hair above ROTJ.

Felt like a Star Wars movie. Was a little all over the place. Numerous things that make zero sense. Too many loose ends from the force awakens. Better than the last jedi (but nothing as good as the fight scenes in that film). I really think the last jedi screwed the whole trilogy. 

current rankings:

Empire

Hope

Jedi

Rogue

Awakens

Sith

Menace

Clones

Skywalker

Last

(solo is irrelevant)
Given that you have TLJ below the entire set of prequels your opinion on Skywalker is currently invalid.

At the end, when the Ewoks are shown, they missed a awesome opportunity. Should have started, in order, showing Naboo with Jar Jar, then showing Kimino or Geonosis, then, Coruscant, then skip Tatooine, show Hoth, then Endor, then Jakku, then Tatooine where Rey looks on. 
Like it or not, if you’re gonna show Ewoks, you need to show Naboo. I mentioned in the other thread a little but George Lucas’ two trilogies were better stories than these three (7,8,9). 

(Buckna didnt say/ask this, I’m borrowing the spoiler box)
Pretty much all the previous Jedi and Sith had a voice cameo. Even some who died in Order 66. Ewan, Alec Guinness, Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, Frank Oz, Ahsoka Tano, Freddie Prinze Jr., Hayden, and a few others. 

As I watched I had the same feeling as I did with 7....Rey is a much more interesting protagonist than Luke. Really not even close.
This statement is accurate however this trilogy didn’t focus nearly enough on her. This trilogy, now knowing who she is, should have had far fewer space battles and more Jedi / Sith lore. Could have been awesome to have a full on Jedi vs. Sith story and how she will mold them together or something. 
And, Poe Dameron was the worst addition to this whole franchise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This statement is accurate however this trilogy didn’t focus nearly enough on her. This trilogy, now knowing who she is, should have had far fewer space battles and more Jedi / Sith lore. Could have been awesome to have a full on Jedi vs. Sith story and how she will mold them together or something. 
And, Poe Dameron was the worst addition to this whole franchise. 
Poe??? Read enough fan reviews and you always will find a new “hot take” that you’ve never read before.  

Users who are viewing this thread