What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

Positives

- That little droid engineer character! Put him and Baby Yoda in a Disney+ series of their own!

- Lando was great.  He's probably aged the best out of the original cast.  

- The final battle.  At first it was going to look like another re-tread of the "Here's the single weak point of the entire fleet just left vulnerable for the kill" trope, but it quickly went away from that.  The "ground battle" on top of the star destroyer was great as was the ginormous fleet coming to save the Rebels.  That last point was predictable, but still satisfying.     

- Palpatine.  I wish they could have written him into the earlier movies.  Maybe just remove Snoke completely.  Ian McDiarmid is amazing in the role as he always has been.

- Luke's ghost pulling the X Wing out of the water and giving that smirk to the camera like he knew it was deja vu.  

Negatives

- Palpatine shooting lightning in the air to disable the rebel fleet.  That seemed like a bit too much. Why does he need a fleet of Star Destroyers if he's that powerful to begin with?  

- Chewie finally getting his medal was great and all, but do it properly, not in the rushed, tacked on way we got it.  

- My biggest critique of this film and the new trilogy was how the two directors were pretty much battling each other in terms of undoing things that happened in the previous director's film.  It's amazing we still got three good (not great) movies out of this because it could have been a complete mess.  

Positives

- That little droid engineer character! Put him and Baby Yoda in a Disney+ series of their own!

- The final battle.  At first it was going to look like another re-tread of the "Here's the single weak point of the entire fleet just left vulnerable for the kill" trope, but it quickly went away from that.  The "ground battle" on top of the star destroyer was great as was the ginormous fleet coming to save the Rebels.  That last point was predictable, but still satisfying.     

- Palpatine.  I wish they could have written him into the earlier movies.  Maybe just remove Snoke completely.  Ian McDiarmid is amazing in the role as he always has been.

- Luke's ghost pulling the X Wing out of the water and giving that smirk to the camera like he knew it was deja vu.  

Negatives

- Palpatine shooting lightning in the air to disable the rebel fleet.  That seemed like a bit too much. Why does he need a fleet of Star Destroyers if he's that powerful to begin with?  

- Chewie finally getting his medal was great and all, but do it properly, not in the rushed, tacked on way we got it.  

- My biggest critique of this film and the new trilogy was how the two directors were pretty much battling each other in terms of undoing things that happened in the previous director's film.  It's amazing we still got three good (not great) movies out of this because it could have been a complete mess.  
Wasn't this after he took both of their power?  Maybe it was like Mario eating the mushroom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't this after he took both of their power?  Maybe it was like Mario eating the mushroom!
He did say something about their bond not being seen in a long time. Didn't know it was that much of a power boost though, maybe the Jedi should rethink relationships a bit.

He did say something about their bond not being seen in a long time. Didn't know it was that much of a power boost though, maybe the Jedi should rethink relationships a bit.
If Rey and Ben had a baby, the galaxy would probably explode.  

Man, I must be the only one that liked TLJ. I thought it was great, mostly because it wasn't just the same old Star Wars stuff. I would have preferred Rian do the trilogy than JJ. 

That said, RoS was very good. Just not great, IMO. Empire and Rogue One still on top for me. 

Man, I must be the only one that liked TLJ. I thought it was great, mostly because it wasn't just the same old Star Wars stuff. I would have preferred Rian do the trilogy than JJ. 

That said, RoS was very good. Just not great, IMO. Empire and Rogue One still on top for me. 
Nope, I liked it too.  It might be my favorite of the new trilogy.  Also, after seeing Knives Out, I'm convinced Johnson is a much superior director to Abrams.  Johnson getting all three movies would've been interesting for sure.  What kept the new trilogy from being great was the undoing of each other's plot that the two directors engaged in.  

My favorite subtle "eff you" from Abrams to Johnson was Luke's first appearance in the movie.  He grabs the lightsaber Rey is throwing into the fire and says a Jedi's weapon needs to be shown respect.  His first appearance in TLJ? Tossing a lightsaber over his shoulder off a cliff.  :lmao:  

Positives

Negatives

Because he can't be everywhere at once. That final order was all these Star Destroyers going into the galaxy and in unison destroying all the planets in harmony by firing at the planets at the same time. 

My favorite subtle "eff you" from Abrams to Johnson was Luke's first appearance in the movie.  He grabs the lightsaber Rey is throwing into the fire and says a Jedi's weapon needs to be shown respect.  His first appearance in TLJ? Tossing a lightsaber over his shoulder off a cliff.  :lmao:  
Yeah. And to this day that is the most cringe worthy scene in Star Wars history. I like TLJ (don't love it, and did not really like it on my first viewing). But Johnson #### on the entire amazing epic ending of TFA.

We waited 2 years to see Luke take his lightsaber and just toss it over his shoulder. 

BLECH!!!!!!!

Didn't hate TLJ by any means.  Isn't my fave and definitely feels a bit out of place between the other two.  But it was entertaining.  I liked all 11 movies on different levels and watch them when they are on.

Ranked in tiers but probably somewhat in order.

Empire, New Hope, Rogue 1
Return, Force Awakens, Rise of Skywalker
Solo, Revenge of the Sith
TLJ, PM, Clones

The most cringe worthy scene for me was kid Boba Fett's only line "Daaaaaaad, Tan-we's here", and he pronounces his Rs like a W, like a three year old who hasn't learned how to pronounce his Rs.  They couldn't coach this kid to speak properly for his only line?   

Nope, I liked it too.  It might be my favorite of the new trilogy.  Also, after seeing Knives Out, I'm convinced Johnson is a much superior director to Abrams.  Johnson getting all three movies would've been interesting for sure.  What kept the new trilogy from being great was the undoing of each other's plot that the two directors engaged in.  
Totally agree that Johnson is great.  I don't like the direction he went, necessarily...but it was great.  Johnson has also taken a lot of (unfair) flack for Luke being so hesitant to join the battle.  Which is odd because JJ Abrams is the one that stuck Luke on an island for years.  Was Luke supposed to suddenly rush back and help?  As much as I loved all 3 films, my biggest disappointment of all 3 films was that they brought Luke and Han back to the films and never had them share the screen.  And that was on JJ, not Johnson.

Disney screwed up bigtime with allowing separate writers and  were bailed out by Abrams who brought the whole thing home in an absolutely fantastic way.  But I think Johnson deserves a trilogy.  His ability to lead you one way, misdirect, and take you on a fantastic journey is second to none.  He did it in TLJ and Knives out.  Fantastic director.

I loved TLJ. Think a lot of people not mad online did too. 
I realize this is just anecdotal, but I knew a LOT of people irl that didn't like TLJ.  Had a bunch of friends that absolutely hated it.  One of my best friends is a MAJOR SW guy..like he reads all the books, comics, watches all the cartoons, soaks it all up.  He's the kind of guy who always tells you about old stories from books written in the 80's.  He hated TLJ.  He's dialed that back a bit over the last two years, but it's just not his favorite film.  BTW, he absolutely adored the new one.

As for ROS, I have yet to meet a single person irl who didn't really love it.  Kids/teenagers are flipping out.  I actually think it will end up making more money than any of the other sequels because more people will go back to see it.  Could be wrong on that one though. My daughter has seen it twice and that would have been 5 times at least, if she didn't have the flu.

Didn't hate TLJ by any means.  Isn't my fave and definitely feels a bit out of place between the other two.  But it was entertaining.  I liked all 11 movies on different levels and watch them when they are on.

Ranked in tiers but probably somewhat in order.

Empire, New Hope, Rogue 1
Return, Force Awakens, Rise of Skywalker
Solo, Revenge of the Sith
TLJ, PM, Clones
Good tiers but I would switch Solo and TLJ. I thought Solo was a hot mess. Worse than PM for me. 

Totally agree that Johnson is great.  I don't like the direction he went, necessarily...but it was great.  Johnson has also taken a lot of (unfair) flack for Luke being so hesitant to join the battle.  Which is odd because JJ Abrams is the one that stuck Luke on an island for years.  Was Luke supposed to suddenly rush back and help?  As much as I loved all 3 films, my biggest disappointment of all 3 films was that they brought Luke and Han back to the films and never had them share the screen.  And that was on JJ, not Johnson.

Disney screwed up bigtime with allowing separate writers and  were bailed out by Abrams who brought the whole thing home in an absolutely fantastic way.  But I think Johnson deserves a trilogy.  His ability to lead you one way, misdirect, and take you on a fantastic journey is second to none.  He did it in TLJ and Knives out.  Fantastic director.
Exactly. And people complained that Luke was too whiny in TLJ. He was ALWAYS whiny. That's his personality. It didn't show as much in ROTJ, but that was his contrasting personality to Solo, a contrast I liked. Luke throwing away his light saber was fantastic. It made the character for me. He's purposefully trying to get away from being a Jedi and some young woman gives him his light saber and he's supposed to hold in in the air and yell "I have the power!!" like He-Man or something? That's fan boy stuff. I liked TLJ because it wasn't fan boy writing. 

I realize this is just anecdotal, but I knew a LOT of people irl that didn't like TLJ.  Had a bunch of friends that absolutely hated it.  One of my best friends is a MAJOR SW guy..like he reads all the books, comics, watches all the cartoons, soaks it all up.  He's the kind of guy who always tells you about old stories from books written in the 80's.  He hated TLJ.  He's dialed that back a bit over the last two years, but it's just not his favorite film.  BTW, he absolutely adored the new one.

As for ROS, I have yet to meet a single person irl who didn't really love it.  Kids/teenagers are flipping out.  I actually think it will end up making more money than any of the other sequels because more people will go back to see it.  Could be wrong on that one though. My daughter has seen it twice and that would have been 5 times at least, if she didn't have the flu.
Just to re-iterate on my last point, this is it exactly. Rian didn't write or direct it like a fan boy, so they hated it. I thought it made it better and more "real". 

Not just people online. 43% audience on RT. Solo tanked. So far this movie is lowest opening of the new 3. A lot of people hated that movie.
I predict that opening weekend was hurt by terrible critic scores, but that the audience score and word-of-mouth will see this movie soar past TLJ and possibly past Force Awakens.  It's a big fan hit.

Exactly. And people complained that Luke was too whiny in TLJ. He was ALWAYS whiny. That's his personality. It didn't show as much in ROTJ, but that was his contrasting personality to Solo, a contrast I liked. Luke throwing away his light saber was fantastic. It made the character for me. He's purposefully trying to get away from being a Jedi and some young woman gives him his light saber and he's supposed to hold in in the air and yell "I have the power!!" like He-Man or something? That's fan boy stuff. I liked TLJ because it wasn't fan boy writing. 
I get that.  And I'd love Rian Johnson to get his own trilogy one day.  My biggest issue with TLJ is not the movie itself, it's that I felt the change of writers and styles way too much.  They weren't able to craft quite as tight of a trilogy as they would have had Abrams (or Johnson) done the whole thing.  

I predict that opening weekend was hurt by terrible critic scores, but that the audience score and word-of-mouth will see this movie soar past TLJ and possibly past Force Awakens.  It's a big fan hit.
It won't beat TFA but it should pass the 1.3 billion mark of tlj

It won't beat TFA but it should pass the 1.3 billion mark of tlj
I saw TLJ 2 times and had zero desire to see it again.  Already seen this twice and have two separate invites from friends to go a second time tomorrow.  And it's the first week!  Yeah I know that's just me, but almost everyone I know is planning to see it 2 or 3 times in the theater.  I think word of mouth (and the fact that this one packed in so much info) will make it very popular.  

TLJ opening weekend benefited from insanely high critic scores.  Second weekend was a massive dropoff.

I get that.  And I'd love Rian Johnson to get his own trilogy one day.  My biggest issue with TLJ is not the movie itself, it's that I felt the change of writers and styles way too much.  They weren't able to craft quite as tight of a trilogy as they would have had Abrams (or Johnson) done the whole thing.  
This is the whole issue.  TLJ was the second of a trilogy and the penultimate of a series, it wasn’t time to reinvent the wheel.  

Oh BS. 

Luke Skywalker was the Jedi that defeated the Empire. I did not expect some stupid scene like you suggest. But I also did not expect him to throw it over his shoulder like garbage. 

Fanboy crap? No that was ####ting on the historic accomplishment we watched as kids back in 1977-1983. That scene that ended TFA deserved a lot more than that utter BS Johnson gave us. 

Normal Star Wars fans don’t need fan boy writing. Just respect the source material. TLJ did not do that in a few spots and it holds the film back from being very good. I don’t despise the film. But I despise that one scene more than any spanning the entire Star Wars films ever made. Just absolute horse shiy writing there.

It is a massive wart on this new trilogy. Just awful. That one scene was that impactful to make me shake my head and go...."that was just awful” Way to #### up the suspense and cliffhanger of what was a great throwback Star Wars movie in TFA.

Just to re-iterate on my last point, this is it exactly. Rian didn't write or direct it like a fan boy, so they hated it. I thought it made it better and more "real". 
You don't have to. But he lacked respect.....big time. His movie is the black eye on the new trilogy with most Star Wars fans both the crazy geeks and mainstream fans like myself who don’t go over the films with fine tooth combs. It was an insult to the core audience, some of the crap he had in the film. Even my then 12 year old son thought TLJ was very meh compared to all the other Star Wars movies he has seen (he has seen them all ad nausea). He thought the Luke saber scene was utterly craptastic as well as the crank call to General Hux. 

Other than that.....the movie was good.

Anyway headed out here in 5 mins to see ROS again!

Oh BS. 

Luke Skywalker was the Jedi that defeated the Empire. I did not expect some stupid scene like you suggest. But I also did not expect him to throw it over his shoulder like garbage. 

Fanboy crap? No that was ####ting on the historic accomplishment we watched as kids back in 1977-1983. That scene that ended TFA deserved a lot more than that utter BS Johnson gave us. 

Normal Star Wars fans don’t need fan boy writing. Just respect the source material. TLJ did not do that in a few spots and it holds the film back from being very good. I don’t despise the film. But I despise that one scene more than any spanning the entire Star Wars films ever made. Just absolute horse shiy writing there.

It is a massive wart on this new trilogy. Just awful. That one scene was that impactful to make me shake my head and go...."that was just awful” Way to #### up the suspense and cliffhanger of what was a great throwback Star Wars movie in TFA.
Actually, that was Anakin. Luke was busy getting his ### kicked by Palpatine’s lightning and it was Anakin who killed the emperor, defeating the Empire. 

I hd no problem with Luke turning hermit and cynical. It seems to be a tradition with old Jedi masters ie: Obi wan and Yoda. 

I did predict ROS would do about $1.4b by the time it's done.

That 43% RT score was from an organized campaign to tank the score from a small number of fanboy trolls with an agenda. It's complete BS.
Yup.  Look at Solo's imdb rating, it is a solid 6.9.  Rise of Skywalker is at a 7.0 right now in comparison.

People who actually saw Solo and ignored the morons who tried to tank the movie before anyone actually saw it, enjoyed it.

Look at the Solo thread on the FFA, it is filled with the same themed comment "I thought it was going to suck but I enjoyed it after finally seeing it"

Early scores were near 90% positive from fans. So some internet dorks hammer it. 

It's a very good star wars worth watching several times

Yeah. And to this day that is the most cringe worthy scene in Star Wars history. I like TLJ (don't love it, and did not really like it on my first viewing). But Johnson #### on the entire amazing epic ending of TFA.

We waited 2 years to see Luke take his lightsaber and just toss it over his shoulder. 

BLECH!!!!!!!
More cringy than Leia’s floating in open space back to the ship? 

That 43% RT score was from an organized campaign to tank the score from a small number of fanboy trolls with an agenda. It's complete BS.
There was a campaign.  BUT... I’m sure most will agree that in their personal lives, there were a ton of people that didn’t like it.  I have 5 close friends that simply hated it.  

Also I seriously doubt that group was fully responsible, even though they claimed responsibility.

So is the 86% also from an organized campaign by Disney to up vote it? Come on man. Not everything is Russian bots. 
No, most online polls are useless merely on the basis of being a self-selected sample, but in this case if you read the article there is a group literally claiming that they did it. Rotten Tomatoes also changed their rules for submitting user reviews because of the abuse they saw happening. 

I’m sure plenty of people disliked TLJ, and they are free to their opinion. That particular metric is just a suspect one to use as a measure. 

Wasn’t into the original movies growing up and basically avoided them out of stubborn protest until about 5 years ago. Watched those three a couple times each and really liked them. Fun movies. 

Saw Force Awakens when it came out and also really liked it. Entertaining if not a bit stupid/repetitive plot wise at times. Watched it several more times. 

Realized I missed TLJ so watched it a couple days ago to get caught up for Skywalker. Pretty much felt the same. 

Saw this last one today. Again, thought it was very good, plenty entertaining, great battle scenes, similar weak points as all the rest. 

I guess that’s just my way of saying that for someone who’s not really invested in these movies going back decades, they all seem to have a lot of really fun scenes, they bring the entertainment over the whole runtime, and have similar weaknesses that are relatively easy to look past.

There isn’t enough depth in plot and writing to be considered “great” by my standards but that’s ok when talking about 2.5 hours of entertainment. 

Oh BS. 

Not worth talking to you. As I said, Fan Boys have a different view than people who just really like the series. 

I was rewatching a bit of Last Jedi last night, I and I think this new movie actually made me appreciate LJ a bit more.   I will fully admit there are a couple scenes and beats that I don't like, but I can't say that one of my main beefs about this new trilogy is that it feels very much like a rehash of the old trilogy while at the same time being down on the one movie of the 3 that tried to do something different.  Johnson swung for the fences on a couple things, and after reading a couple interviews with him I understand a little more why he did a couple things - mainly Luke's character and Rey's parentage.   I think I prefer the look of that movie too.    

Dunno - like others have said on this page, it makes me wonder what a whole trilogy with Johnson at the helm would have looked like.  Abrams is at his best freshening up old series and styles for new eyes, but Johnson seems to want to push it a little more and take some shots.  It was also obvious that this was supposed to be a more Leia-centered movie, so I can't ding them too much for having to work around her passing and deal with having to tweak that a bit.  

Went tonight with my boys and FIL - all of us enjoyed it and thought it was good.  We felt like they wrapped things up nicely.  

I was rewatching a bit of Last Jedi last night, I and I think this new movie actually made me appreciate LJ a bit more.   I will fully admit there are a couple scenes and beats that I don't like, but I can't say that one of my main beefs about this new trilogy is that it feels very much like a rehash of the old trilogy while at the same time being down on the one movie of the 3 that tried to do something different.  Johnson swung for the fences on a couple things, and after reading a couple interviews with him I understand a little more why he did a couple things - mainly Luke's character and Rey's parentage.   I think I prefer the look of that movie too.    

Dunno - like others have said on this page, it makes me wonder what a whole trilogy with Johnson at the helm would have looked like.  Abrams is at his best freshening up old series and styles for new eyes, but Johnson seems to want to push it a little more and take some shots.  It was also obvious that this was supposed to be a more Leia-centered movie, so I can't ding them too much for having to work around her passing and deal with having to tweak that a bit.  
My only gripe with the sequels is Disney and their asinine decision to let Johnson do his own thing with the freaking direction of the trilogy.

Its an absolute miracle that this wasn’t a cluster of the highest degree.  

In the end it worked out great but only due to Abrams saving it with a near perfect finale, and incredible characters and acting.

My only gripe with the sequels is Disney and their asinine decision to let Johnson do his own thing with the freaking direction of the trilogy.

Its an absolute miracle that this wasn’t a cluster of the highest degree.  

In the end it worked out great but only due to Abrams saving it with a near perfect finale, and incredible characters and acting.

I think it should have been one way or the other.  Still baffling to me that Disney seemingly went into this thing without much of a core plan after buying the rights for mega money.  

I get what you are saying, but not sure I am quite there with "near perfect finale".   Mostly I just need to reconcile with the fact that Disney is probably never really going to push the envelope too far.   As amazing as it would be we aren't going to see a  Watchmen/Deadpool/Joker equivalent of a Star Wars movie.  ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread