What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Emmanuel Sanders traded to San Fran (1 Viewer)

Deamon

Footballguy
Big move for SF.  They finally get a decent WR for the first time in a long time.

Slight downgrade to Kittle, all other SF WR's are droppable?

Last edited by a moderator:
SF 4th and Denver 5th is practically the same pick.  Might be 10 picks off maximum, but at that point in the draft those aren't that relevant.

Pretty much Sanders for a low 3rd rounder.  I think that's a good move for both teams. 

Great pick-up for the Niners. 

I thought it would either be A.J. Green or Emmanuel Sanders.   Gives Jimmy G. a go-to WR, and cements Courtland Sutton as the #1 for Denver. 

Meant to post in this thread instead of the Sanders thread... Will this decrease Kittle's value?
I guess that's questionable.  His targets should decrease, but he also might get different/less coverage on him.  TD's may also go up.  Would expect a slight downgrade in PPR, and about equal in standard.

I really want to know how Sanu is worth a 2, and Sanders is essentially worth a 3? In what way has Sanu ever been as good as Sanders?

ETA: This makes the Pats deal look much worse, great move by the 49ers.

I really want to know how Sanu is worth a 2, and Sanders is essentially worth a 3? In what way has Sanu ever been as good as Sanders?

Sanders is a UFA next year. Think that is the primary difference 

Maybe with Sanders going to be 33 years old in March and Sanu just turned 30 a few months ago, that could be the reason.

Sanu is 30 and under contract for this year and next. He carries a $3.5 million salary for all of 2019 (meaning NE only has to pay about 60% of that total) and $6.5 million for next season.
Sanders is 32 and under contract for this year only. He carries a $6 million salary for this year (meaning SF has to pay about 60% of that) but will be a free agent at the end of the year.

Is getting a younger and less expensive receiver under contract for an extra year worth a higher draft pick? 

Anarchy99 said:
Sanu is 30 and under contract for this year and next. He carries a $3.5 million salary for all of 2019 (meaning NE only has to pay about 60% of that total) and $6.5 million for next season.
Sanders is 32 and under contract for this year only. He carries a $6 million salary for this year (meaning SF has to pay about 60% of that) but will be a free agent at the end of the year.

Is getting a younger and less expensive receiver under contract for an extra year worth a higher draft pick? 
It probably is if they are similar caliber players. I guess I just think Sanders is a much better player than Sanu. He's more explosive, and offers more versatility. He's just got much ore upside in my eyes. Sanu has never shown he can play outside, or get behind anybody. 

Sanu does have a perfect passer rating though. Perhaps Belichick has some trickery planned? Sanu is a also a better run blocker.

Anarchy99 said:

Wait, what?  You can't make this comparison and ignore talent.  I would spend a higher draft pick trading for Julio Jones than I would for Deebo Samuel.

It probably is if they are similar caliber players. I guess I just think Sanders is a much better player than Sanu. He's more explosive, and offers more versatility. He's just got much ore upside in my eyes. Sanu has never shown he can play outside, or get behind anybody. 

Sanu does have a perfect passer rating though. Perhaps Belichick has some trickery planned? Sanu is a also a better run blocker.
In NE's case, having Sanu for an extra year and lower dollars mattered. Maybe they were concerned how much an impact someone new could make in half a season and they were concerned they couldn't re-sign him. Maybe health played a factor. I believe Sanu has only missed one game over his career. BB sees things differently than the rest of us . . . maybe he has different plans for Sanu than we see in store for him.

Wait, what?  You can't make this comparison and ignore talent.  I would spend a higher draft pick trading for Julio Jones than I would for Deebo Samuel.
I didn't think Wes Welker had a ton to offer pre-NE and the Pats traded a second round pick for him, too. Maybe Bill has big things in store for Sanu. As for your example, Jones carries a significant higher salary cap hit than Samuel does and NE has very little cap space. The Falcons could have given NE Jones for free and they couldn't roster him without clearing multiple players.

I didn't think Wes Welker had a ton to offer pre-NE and the Pats traded a second round pick for him, too. Maybe Bill has big things in store for Sanu. As for your example, Jones carries a significant higher salary cap hit than Samuel does and NE has very little cap space. The Falcons could have given NE Jones for free and they couldn't roster him without clearing multiple players.
Just feel like Sanders is much better than Sanu.  I think the Falcons would have taken a 3rd rounder for Sanu.... would any other team have offered that?  I kind of doubt that, and Atlanta's season is over.

Think it's safe to say that not even Belichick valued a two back then like he does now. While the Pats were at the vanguard of valuation of draft picks, it would seem that back during Welker's time, a two seemed eminently reasonable. Today we debate about even fourth and fifth rounders, something the Pats helped usher in, albeit gradually and not as drastically as now. 

Anarchy99 said:

Not if Sanu is on the back of his Jersey.

Just feel like Sanders is much better than Sanu.  I think the Falcons would have taken a 3rd rounder for Sanu.... would any other team have offered that?  I kind of doubt that, and Atlanta's season is over.
Hey, 10 minutes into this thread I said NE overpaid for Sanu. But BB is a different kind of cat. He's picked up plenty of guys that I thought were never were's let alone has been's and turned them into key contributors. Sanders is better but NE would have trouble fitting him under the salary cap.

As for recent 2nd round picks, NE hasn't exactly struck gold lately in that round, unless Duke Dawson, Cyrus Jones, and Jordan Richards can be considered as "hits." Other noteworthy underachievers from the past decade include Aaron Dobson, Tavon Wilson, Ras-I Dowling, and Jermaine Cunningham. Yes, Jimmy G, Jamie Collins, and Gronk were 2nd round picks and they can't all be winners. Sanu already has more career receptions and receiving yards than all but two WR drafted under BB's watch (Edelman and Branch). NE drafted 15 other receivers in that time, so they have proven WR draft evaluation is not one of their strong suits.

travdogg said:

sanu is a far superior blocker.

sanu is a far superior blocker.
Then this would make sense of it.

Everyone looking at the Pats like it's 2007. They've evolved into wanting to run the ball and play defense.

Sure Brady will need to bail them out on 3rd and long ... but that's not their first angle of attack anymore.

My thought was Pats looking for a player closer to the Gronk role.  Obviously not blocking at the end of the O-line like Gronk did ... but more in line with what Gronk could do out in space .... Sanu vs Sanders. Pass routes & blocking. Not so much getting behind the DB or stretching the field.

Sanders 5'11", 180 lbs

Sanu 6'2", 210 lbs

Users who are viewing this thread