What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Had cheese curds in Wisconsin. Didn’t really get it. (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
These are basically just mozzarella sticks with inferior cheese and inferior dipping sauce, right?  What am I missing here?  That’s the big draw?

well they are super fattening so they have that going for them and often times people eat them when they are drunk which makes them a thing up here take that to the bank bromigo

Need to clarify, cheese curds or deep fried cheese curds?  Big difference.

A good deep fried cheese curd, fresh from the fryer, does not need dipping sauce.

Mozzarella sticks are teh suck.
This...and it depends on where you got them from.

Hand breaded and actually homemade...they are going to be fantastic.

Frozen, thrown in a fryer and put in a dipping sauce...yeah, they are still going to be better than a Mozz stick, but i can see the comparison.

Fresh cheese curds...all good and squeaky and are fantastic and should never be mocked.

Years ago, I was in a Wisconsin convenience store.

A kid (probably 7-8 years old) was begging his Mom to buy him a cheese curd vs all of the candy, slurpees, etc surrounding him.

Thought I was in an alternate universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh cheese curds should be a bet wet & squeaky. they should be bought the same day they are made and delivered to the liquor store/gas station/grocery store. they shouldn't be refrigerated.

deep fried cheese curds are salty, cheesy and fattening.

either you got mozzarella sticks or you're dead inside.

This...and it depends on where you got them from.

Hand breaded and actually homemade...they are going to be fantastic.

Frozen, thrown in a fryer and put in a dipping sauce...yeah, they are still going to be better than a Mozz stick, but i can see the comparison.

Fresh cheese curds...all good and squeaky and are fantastic and should never be mocked.
This x1000.  If you got the ones that have been frozen with a heavy batter (Culver's is a perfect example of these) they yeah they are just meh.  If you went to a local bar that has freshly made, usually deep fried in a light beer batter, those things are to die for.  Most of those places that has those are dive bars in the middle of nowhere...Not the kind of places I'd expect to see a slick New Yorker like Oats hanging out.  I'm guessing Otis had the Culvers variety.

Otis the way to tell if they are good or not were they individual oval and circle shapes with a breading similar to mozzarella sticks?  If so those are the bad ones.  If the basket contains pieces that resemble oval and circle shapes but stick together to form a big glob of giant goodness...those are the great ones. 

Otis the way to tell if they are good or not were they individual oval and circle shapes with a breading similar to mozzarella sticks?  If so those are the bad ones.  If the basket contains pieces that resemble oval and circle shapes but stick together to form a big glob of giant goodness...those are the great ones. 
Last summer, in waaaaay north WI, (Eagle River, for those who know the area) I had some that were 'regular' shaped, but those were cubes that the restaurant had made by mixing the cheese with bacon. Heaven.

Last summer, in waaaaay north WI, (Eagle River, for those who know the area) I had some that were 'regular' shaped, but those were cubes that the restaurant had made by mixing the cheese with bacon. Heaven.
Sounds amazing. 

The breaded, deep-fried variety, as served at the fast-food places, are mostly greasy breading with a dollop of cheese-like substance in the middle and do indeed suck.  The fancy curds served in decent restaurants are pretty good as an app.   Real Wisconsin cheese curds look like this, don't come with dipping sauce, and are fantastic.
The ones I had didn’t look like those. They were breaded and fried and wanted desperately to be almost as good as mozzarella sticks.  

Yeah it was breaded.  It was at a place called Smoky’s which I’m told is like a famous local institution in Madison. 
That's a steak joint never had the curds there.  Probably for the best you just had the C level curds the good ones are hard to turn down.

It was at a place called Smoky’s which I’m told is like a famous local institution in Madison. 
Great place for a steak and an old fashioned or martini.  I would not think cheese curds for a place like Smoky's, but would expect them to do a decent job with them.

In any event, I agree with the folks who say a real Wisconsin cheese curd is fresh and squeaky, not breaded and deep-fried.  By "fresh" - we mean it really is best within a few days of being made.  Its a very mild cheese, not some fancy thing the cheese snobs will talk about.

You probably think you have had a brat after having a Johnsonville. 
All this thread is making me want to do is drive to Wisconsin, visit the family in the appleton area...hit up the Kwik Trip when they get a delivery of curds (or Lamers Dairy near my family's house)...hop on 41 to Slinger and stop in at Helds and pick up some brats (and damn good Beef Jerky) and tailgate for no particular reason.

All this thread is making me want to do is drive to Wisconsin, visit the family in the appleton area...hit up the Kwik Trip when they get a delivery of curds (or Lamers Dairy near my family's house)...hop on 41 to Slinger and stop in at Helds and pick up some brats (and damn good Beef Jerky) and tailgate for no particular reason.
the first time i went to Held's was maybe 5 years ago

the aroma from that place is.... almost like a hallucinogen.

then when i opened the door there was a..... sheet.... of meat hanging on the wall that was about as big as a one-car garage.

amazing place. a must stop.

the first time i went to Held's was maybe 5 years ago

the aroma from that place is.... almost like a hallucinogen.

then when i opened the door there was a..... sheet.... of meat hanging on the wall that was about as big as a one-car garage.

amazing place. a must stop.
That was always our stop as a kid coming from the Fox Valley on our way to Brewers games.  Brats and jerkey...Weber Smokey Joe in the trunk of the car.  Perfect for a day at County Stadium.

Grandpa would always stop in and grab a big thing of the beef jerky too...so there was always some around his house.  That stuff is amazing.

can confirm Eddie Whipp's and the Dyckesville Bowl are worthy
Wow. This is exactly what I wanted to post, but I figured most (if not all) have never heard of this town. Love that place (stayed across the street from Dycke Bowl for work a long time ago when WiDOT was expanding 57). Solid drinks too. 

You missed one, may be a bit more driving. Head up to Wittenberg (west of Shawano - wife's hometown) and hit Nueske's! One word. BACON.

I'm not a fan of cheese curds or mozzarella sticks.    I prefer my cheese not-fried and maybe Oats is similar.    I can eat the hell out of  cubes of most varieties of cheese but cheddar is probably my favorite.   

I worked at a cheese plant for a couple of summers in HS and college.   That was a nasty business   

Wow. This is exactly what I wanted to post, but I figured most (if not all) have never heard of this town. Love that place (stayed across the street from Dycke Bowl for work a long time ago when WiDOT was expanding 57). Solid drinks too. 
hope it was summer and you got over to the Frosty Tip.. where a small soft serve cone is like a foot tall and the large is taller than my 8 year old.

eta: going to Door County used to mean driving through Dyckesville. ever since the highway was built/expanded all those little towns are dying off.

The Vermont (and, far as i know, Quebecois) attitude to cheese curds is that its a good way to eat milk. There ain't a whole heck of a lot of difference between cheddar, mozzarella, ementaller right out of the vat (and @DocHolliday is right - back-breaking work). Time, process, salt & aging environment (plus herbs/mold introduced) determine the flavor of actual cheese. The only flavor difference in the curd stage is the cow and what she ate. Generally, dairy state folks like that flavor on its own or in a kooky StateFair concoction of some kind for the freshness, but the flavor is not pronounced.

hope it was summer and you got over to the Frosty Tip.. where a small soft serve cone is like a foot tall and the large is taller than my 8 year old.

eta: going to Door County used to mean driving through Dyckesville. ever since the highway was built/expanded all those little towns are dying off.
Yeah. It was July and the bay was nice and cool after long days in the field. I miss that place and even then, folks knew the highway expansion was the end. Sad.

Years ago, I was in a Wisconsin convenience store.

A kid (probably 7-8 years old) was begging his Mom to buy him a cheese curd vs all of the candy, slurpees, etc surrounding him.

Thought I was in an alternate universe.
that kid like any good scanny kid got those cheesecurds and died of gout at age 14 take that to the bank bromigos

Users who are viewing this thread