What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

foolishness on the left (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
This is a thread to discuss stories about goofy positions taken by certain people on the left.

I almost wish that these stories would remain buried until Trump is out of office. These are the kind of stories that, when reasonable people read them, think: ugh, now I almost understand wanting to vote for Trump. It's not just the fringe right (read: about 80% of the right) that takes dumb positions. It happens on the fringe left as well. In any case, instead of trying to keep such stories buried, I'll start a thread about them.

Here are some stories from the past few days:

Harvard Crimson defends contacting ICE for comment. Part of doing good reporting is asking for comments from those involved in a story. This is what the Harvard Crimson did when it reported about students protesting ICE. They reached out to ICE for comment. Several student groups complained that ICE is culturally insensitive and therefore shouldn't have been asked for a comment.

Woke Math in Seattle. The Seattle school district is planning to infuse all K-12 math classes with ethnic-studies questions that encourage students to explore how math has been “appropriated” by Western culture and used in systems of power and oppression, a controversial move that puts the district at the forefront of a movement to “rehumanize” math.

Kansas 13-Year-Old Arrested For Finger Gun Gesture. A 13-year-old was charged with a felony for pointing her finger at four classmates and pretending to shoot them. The chief of police defended the charges: "I'll take the heat all day long for arresting a 13-year-old. I'm not willing to take the heat for not preventing a school tragedy." I guess that makes sense: there's no telling what would have happened if the finger actually went off.

I'll add to the thread when I come across additional current examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kansas 13-Year-Old Arrested For Finger Gun Gesture. A 13-year-old was charged with a felony for pointing her finger at four classmates and pretending to shoot them. The chief of police defended the charges: "I'll take the heat all day long for arresting a 13-year-old. I'm not willing to take the heat for not preventing a school tragedy." I guess that makes sense: there's no telling what would have happened if the finger actually went off.
Is this really the left?  My experience even here in the uber-liberal Bay Area is that police are right-wingers.  Probably the least insane of the three you posted, but still.

Is this really the left?  My experience even here in the uber-liberal Bay Area is that police are right-wingers.  Probably the least insane of the three you posted, but still.
I generally assume zero-tolerance gun policies come from the left.

The right likes guns.

I generally assume zero-tolerance gun policies come from the left.

The right likes guns.
Well yea, but there are multiple parties involved here.  I would agree that the school administration leans left, and they were the ones who reported the incident to the police, but the thing I find more shocking is being charged with a felony.  Sorry if I'm stereotyping, but when I think of police officers in KS, I'm not thinking they are hippie liberals.

People wonder why I'm so conservative.

I grew up with this. There are six liberal girl schools and three all-female colleges within half an hour radius of me. Wesleyan is in that radius, too.

This was my local politics.

Noice. 

"Woke Math?"  That is a joke right?? 

We need more math and science for minority and lower income families. My mother was a low income minority and not from
India and actually excelled in math and science and it taught her many other things as well. 

This is a thread to discuss stories about goofy positions taken by certain people on the left.

I almost wish that these stories would remain buried until Trump is out of office. These are the kind of stories that, when reasonable people read them, think: ugh, now I almost understand wanting to vote for Trump. It's not just the fringe right (read: about 80% of the right) that takes dumb positions. It happens on the fringe left as well. In any case, instead of trying to keep such stories buried, I'll start a thread about them.

Here are some stories from the past few days:

Harvard Crimson defends contacting ICE for comment. Part of doing good reporting is asking for comments from those involved in a story. This is what the Harvard Crimson did when it reported about students protesting ICE. They reached out to ICE for comment. Several student groups complained that ICE is culturally insensitive and therefore shouldn't have been asked for a comment.

Woke Math in Seattle. The Seattle school district is planning to infuse all K-12 math classes with ethnic-studies questions that encourage students to explore how math has been “appropriated” by Western culture and used in systems of power and oppression, a controversial move that puts the district at the forefront of a movement to “rehumanize” math.

I'll add to the thread when I come across additional current examples.
Honestly, everyone talks about how Obama’s election and attitude “caused” Trump as a backlash but no one mentions that Trump’s election and attitude “causes” these people. It’s the same coin. 

People wonder why I'm so conservative.

I grew up with this. There are six liberal girl schools and three all-female colleges within half an hour radius of me. Wesleyan is in that radius, too.

This was my local politics.

Noice. 
I implore everyone to not decide their politics as backlash against the people who bother them.  This is how the stories above happen. They’re defining themselves the same way, just the opposite side of the spectrum. 

We don’t let kids under 18 vote because they decide their positions by rebellion.  I’d love to see that universalized if we could. 

I think it’s fine to have lists like these and to laugh at the foibles of liberals who are too politically correct. 

But the problem is that everyone of these stories gets headline attention, way out of proportion, on Fox and right wing talk radio. 

I implore everyone to not decide their politics as backlash against the people who bother them.  This is how the stories above happen. They’re defining themselves the same way, just the opposite side of the spectrum. 

We don’t let kids under 18 vote because they decide their positions by rebellion.  I’d love to see that universalized if we could. 
That assumes a huge proposition: that it was rebellion and not the absurdity and almost tyrannical impulse of both the normative spirit of the laws and the positive result that flowed therefrom. Compliance, of course, is the first thing to go when you try to rewrite truth, as is so often the case with these absurdist policies, but that doesn't mean that non-compliance came from anything less than substantive diseent.

IOW, it wasn't stamping your foot and yelling "I don't care!" It was genuinely looking at the world and radically disagreeing with what was being posited. 

We would need a separate thread to handle all the instances of foolish ideas propagated by a small but incredibly loud and shrill segment of the trans community.  
Incredibly powerful for how small a %...Big time.  They just got the maker of Always feminine products to take the female images off their products.

And Air Canada will no longer use the term "ladies and gentlemen"

We would need a separate thread to handle all the instances of foolish ideas propagated by a small but incredibly loud and shrill segment of the trans community.  
They just had a court ruling about allowing a 7 year old to transition even though his dad protested. 

Thanks @Henry Ford 

That's an interesting idea. I know a lot of people who vote more for what they're rebelling against than what they're for. I expect we'll see a ton of that in 2020. 

I'm not sure it's bad. 

I think it's a commentary of "zero-tolerance" policies. Wasn't the rationale for his firing the use of the n-word even though in that context no reasonable person would consider it a fireable offense?
I saw this on the news, it was a black student that called him that.  That just happens sometimes in same  culture disputes.

I think it's a commentary of "zero-tolerance" policies. Wasn't the rationale for his firing the use of the n-word even though in that context no reasonable person would consider it a fireable offense?
Exactly. When you fire a guy without context, society has gone way too far IMO. 

They just had a court ruling about allowing a 7 year old to transition even though his dad protested. 
This is where the real issue comes down and the next fight is, isn't it? The bathrooms were taken, now it's coming for gender fluidity and children.

Pulling out of Syria is crazy but so is a “woke” Seattle school district proposal.  

Both sides are the same i guess.
Is that what you think @Maurile Tremblay is trying to say?

If only he had some sort of 20 year track record as being one of the best parts of this forum. Then maybe I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

And I'm sorry, @Daywalker, I don't mean to pick on you. But that kind of bristling at even the slightest discussion of ungoodness is a thing for me. It's almost always done with the "Why are you wasting time with this? The OTHER side is way worse." 

Or sometimes it's in the "We cannot rest until every single human acknowledges our 'truth'". You see that usually with sports fans who've suffered a long time and finally win the trophy but can't enjoy it because .01% of the sports world questions if they're really the best this year. 

it's fascinating to me. People and issues are often large and sometimes complex. And rarely perfect. 

And I'm sorry, @Daywalker, I don't mean to pick on you. But that kind of bristling at even the slightest discussion of ungoodness is a thing for me. It's almost always done with the "Why are you wasting time with this? The OTHER side is way worse." 

Or sometimes it's in the "We cannot rest until every single human acknowledges our 'truth'". You see that usually with sports fans who've suffered a long time and finally win the trophy but can't enjoy it because .01% of the sports world questions if they're really the best this year. 

it's fascinating to me. People and issues are often large and sometimes complex. And rarely perfect. 
I’ve already got a buddy trying to convince me that the 2019 Washington Nationals are one of the best teams in baseball history. 

I’ve already got a buddy trying to convince me that the 2019 Washington Nationals are one of the best teams in baseball history. 
Yup. 

It seemed especially strong with Eagles fans after they won. I know they took lots of grief over the years from Cowboys and Giants fans but I remember seeing Eagles guys who it looked like couldn't enjoy the win at all simply because .01% of the sports world thought they didn't deserve it. I was legit bummed for them.

And maybe I'm just used to half my email box telling me I'm an idiot for not having Marvin Jones predicted as last weeks WR1. For better or for worse, I'm probably more accustomed to the naysayers.  ;)

Users who are viewing this thread