What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

who is the best ff player that you have ever encountered? (1 Viewer)

my cat.

yea, anyone who thinks they're actually "good" at this is delusional. luck > skills in magic football so no one is actually any good at this by nature of it being luck driven with injuries and what not. #crystalball

there is a team in my league who is leading his division with 4 wins. 5 of his 7 opponents so far faced him on their worst week of the year by FAR, respectively. it's like he's really playing defense. he has the second lowest points total in the league yet at this point is on pace to make playoffs.

on the other hand the second highest scoring team in the league is second to last in standing. the third highest scoring team is in the same boat. both had so many weird bad beats this year it's uncanny. they have good teams and both are great GM's on top of the news.

my cat.

yea, anyone who thinks they're actually "good" at this is delusional. luck > skills in magic football so no one is actually any good at this by nature of it being luck driven with injuries and what not. #crystalball

there is a team in my league who is leading his division with 4 wins. 5 of his 7 opponents so far faced him on their worst week of the year by FAR, respectively. it's like he's really playing defense. he has the second lowest points total in the league yet at this point is on pace to make playoffs.

on the other hand the second highest scoring team in the league is second to last in standing. the third highest scoring team is in the same boat. both had so many weird bad beats this year it's uncanny. they have good teams and both are great GM's on top of the news.
luck plays a huge part.  doesn't mean some people are "better" at this than others.

Probably this dude who is commissioner and cheated on his wife, blamed my friend for it (a team owner in the league), and my friend still plays in the league because it’s apparently so much fun??

I realize this doesn’t make sense but if I try to explain the whole thing it’s going to sound even nuttier. Anyway apparently the commish wins almost every year.

Probably this dude who is commissioner and cheated on his wife, blamed my friend for it (a team owner in the league), and my friend still plays in the league because it’s apparently so much fun??

I realize this doesn’t make sense but if I try to explain the whole thing it’s going to sound even nuttier. Anyway apparently the commish wins almost every year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJOx_4WSzg

Are fantasy football skills and getting away with cheating on your wife somehow correlated? I wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insider info from the wife?

For me it's this one woman (Jenny) who runs our Yahoo! league and takes our money every year. She works for the NSA, FBI, NFLPA, The Patriots, the NFL league office, and Yahoo Sports. She always seems to be in the know on who to pick up when and her priority is oddly always #1. Just a brilliant gal. My hat is off to her.

My daughter..she won my 12 team work league twice in 4 years just using auto-draft then adding and dropping during season. Pissed all the so called sharks off big time..and me.

my cat.

This game is like poker or blackjack. You can play perfectly, but that does not guarantee success because there is a high luck factor.

Making all the right moves probably takes your chances of winning a 12 team league from 1/12 to 1/4, but that's the best you can do.  Playing perfectly gives you a higher chance of success, but you will still lose more often than not. 

Making all the right moves probably takes your chances of winning a 12 team league from 1/12 to 1/4, but that's the best you can do.  Playing perfectly gives you a higher chance of success, but you will still lose more often than not. 
was kidding mostly, but i thought of this exactly after reading joffer's response too. we can put ourselves in the best position to win and then pray. guess this is a measurement of sorts of who is better than others rather than wins when it comes to ff.

Not a league I would renew with.

This one dude in one of my auction leagues, he has a few friends who are scouts for NFL teams so he gets some inside scoops. He actually drafted Terrelle Pryor that year he was Cleveland's #1 WR. This year he "reached" for Waller and Tyrell Williams about a week before the Antonio Brown release from the Raiders. 

luck plays a huge part.  doesn't mean some people are "better" at this than others.

This game is like poker or blackjack. You can play perfectly, but that does not guarantee success because there is a high luck factor.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

This one dude in one of my auction leagues, he has a few friends who are scouts for NFL teams so he gets some inside scoops. He actually drafted Terrelle Pryor that year he was Cleveland's #1 WR. This year he "reached" for Waller and Tyrell Williams about a week before the Antonio Brown release from the Raiders. 
Sounds like you should invite him to The Pool or start posting his draft and in-season moves more often. :excited:

Hmmmm...I did the same with all three of those players.

But I don't have any friends so I don't think he's me.

Me. Dynasty starting in 1992 and since mid 1993, I have held the spot as the winningest coach in the league, never dropping to 2nd in winning % for even 1 week.

There are luckier owners in the league but I'm the owner of the best W/L % for over 2 decades.
Tracking average points per game over the duration of the league, and ranking guys that way would be more informative than wins and losses.

I've got the highest average ppg since I started tracking it (2008), but my winning % is only 5th best.

my cat.

I loath H2H for that exact reason. Never understood it. 

I'm pretty much a simpleton. I love H2H because of the sheer gameday element of the format.

To wit about points being the be-all end-all over H2H: One league I'm in this year, I lead in points by a fair margin, but am 3-4 and eighth out of twelfth. Thing is, I deserve that record because I set up a team with a variance range that's pretty significant, and it when it goes south, it goes south. 

And it has a link of Watson and Fuller, so even more variant.

It's never as simple as it seems and there's a lot of witting or unwitting skill in a good record. 

I loath H2H for that exact reason. Never understood it. 
We were H2H for years until I faced pretty much the exact same scenario facing the #1 scoring team, while being the #2 scoring team, five (5) times and the #2 scoring team twice.  It was a nightmare.

I lobbied/pushed/cajoled/bullied the entire league all off-season and got the league to go with All-Play ever since.

Every now and then some owners rumble about switching back and I beat the down like Mitch McConnell fighting expansion of the ACA.

I'm pretty much a simpleton. I love H2H because of the sheer gameday element of the format. 
And that is absolutely the best argument in favor of the format. But I also find that I spend so much time distracted by the update scroll and trying to track points in my head that it creates stress. I actually try to avoid games featuring my team players so I don't get upset by their usage.

I no longer watch Red Zone and I wish broadcasts had a scroll free option. I like to just sit back and watch a game. Maybe flip to another one occasionally.

I do everything I can to just enjoy the game for itself.

Yeah there was a guy in my league that had a best friend who played on an NFL team. I don't think it gave him any real advantage, but there were some good stories. Mainly about how much of a knucklehead some of the players are in real life. 

beside me?  :bye:
I belonged to an old Phillies message board that was connected to the actual MLB.com Board. There was a guy in our Phillies forum that is a fantasy god. I'm still in my Keeper Baseball and Football leagues with him. He might be the best I've ever went up against Very nice guy too. There's match ups with him you look like you might win because a top guy of his is injured or something but somehow some way he pulls magic off and your team either decides to take the weeks match up off or he just has a bunch of "role player" types who go off that week. It's frustrating but incredible satisfying when you beat him. I won my first ever league title in any sort of fantasy against him in our Baseball league about 4 yrs ago. 

Tracking average points per game over the duration of the league, and ranking guys that way would be more informative than wins and losses.

I've got the highest average ppg since I started tracking it (2008), but my winning % is only 5th best.
True and I could add up the numbers but I don't need to to know that I also have scored the most points in the league.

Your story, it's cool bro.
The coolest.

We were H2H for years until I faced pretty much the exact same scenario facing the #1 scoring team, while being the #2 scoring team, five (5) times and the #2 scoring team twice.  It was a nightmare.

I lobbied/pushed/cajoled/bullied the entire league all off-season and got the league to go with All-Play ever since.

Every now and then some owners rumble about switching back and I beat the down like Mitch McConnell fighting expansion of the ACA.
I would hate to be in an all-play league.  I like the good and bad that goes along with h2h.  It the reason why football is the best sport to be a fantasy sport.  It has great cutoffs for matchups that make h2h fun.  Playing all play loses a lot of excitement because every score you are against.  It makes watching games blah for fantasy purposes. 

But this is also what makes FF great.  Lots of different ways to do it to make it fun for everyone. 

I would hate to be in an all-play league.  I like the good and bad that goes along with h2h.  It the reason why football is the best sport to be a fantasy sport.  It has great cutoffs for matchups that make h2h fun.  Playing all play loses a lot of excitement because every score you are against.  It makes watching games blah for fantasy purposes. 

But this is also what makes FF great.  Lots of different ways to do it to make it fun for everyone. 
People make the argument for H2H because of these reasons and I completely get it.

Unlike real Football we have no ability to control the scoring of our opponent. There is no defense, except the one that we apply to offense in FF.

So, while I understand those arguments they ultimately decrease the influence of skill and increase the influence of luck. Screw that.

Besides, I like watching football just to watch football. Being overly concerned with the scroll, or checking.your phone every two seconds for updates or the schizophrenia of RedZone takes away from the enjoyment of just watching the game.

As with everything, YMMV.

But you're mileage is wrong.

Somehow I don’t think this is a thread to brag on yourself.  Some have ignored that.
Actually that's exactly what it is. The OP says so in his 2nd post. I mean, why wouldn't you think you were the best? there are probably 4-6 other guys in our 14 team dynasty that think they are the best even though I am.

The volleyball player? 
Yes..   She is in med school at Michigan now.

Also coaches club volleyball and give private lessons for 75.00 an hour and does 3-4 privates a day on Saturday and Sunday.  What a racket that is...if she had more time she said she could do 10-12 a week.  One family gives her 100.00 a lesson to train their daughter who they just want to make the HS team next year..it is crazy. She tells them it is only 75 but they guy gives her a hundo and says keep it.

Yes..   She is in med school at Michigan now.

Also coaches club volleyball and give private lessons for 75.00 an hour and does 3-4 privates a day on Saturday and Sunday.  What a racket that is...if she had more time she said she could do 10-12 a week.  One family gives her 100.00 a lesson to train their daughter who they just want to make the HS team next year..it is crazy. She tells them it is only 75 but they guy gives her a hundo and says keep it.
Good for her. That's awesome 

And that is absolutely the best argument in favor of the format. But I also find that I spend so much time distracted by the update scroll and trying to track points in my head that it creates stress. I actually try to avoid games featuring my team players so I don't get upset by their usage.

I no longer watch Red Zone and I wish broadcasts had a scroll free option. I like to just sit back and watch a game. Maybe flip to another one occasionally.

I do everything I can to just enjoy the game for itself.
I really need to do this.  I’ll find myself staying up late to watch the garbage time of a night game that I don’t care about just to follow a fantasy matchup. Pretty pathetic.

There's a guy who goes by Big Dawgs in my dynasty league who somehow seems to win every trade he's a part of.  I think it's because he badgers and cajoles the other person until they give up and take his offer.

I'm fantasy baseball I'm the best.  I've won my league four years running.  I don't watch baseball or follow analytics or anything like that, I draft based on who has the funniest names.

Users who are viewing this thread