What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Russell Gage, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Falcons WRs coach Raheem Morris said Russell Gage is "first up" to replace Mohamed Sanu.

Gage has seen minimal slot usage this year—he's lined up there on just five of his 47 routes run—though that was because Sanu (84.4 percent slot rate) was playing ahead of him. The 2018 sixth-rounder has just 10 career catches for 107 scoreless yards to his credit, though his new role should at least afford him more volume. Perhaps he'll creep into the waiver conversation at some point.

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 1:37 PM ET

Last edited:
Anyone like this guy? I’m thinking of grabbing him before the game to plug in at the end of my bench in case he steps right in where Sanu left off. 

Wishing now I would have grabbed him before the game. Not too bad of a day In ppr for his first game replacing Sanu. Hopefully he goes under the radar and I can grab him on waivers this week. Had 7 catches on 9 targets for 58 yards. 

Allen Strk @Allen_Strk

Wrote about Russell Gage needing to be featured more often going forward. Encouraging to see him getting more targets. He's the best young talent they got behind Ridley. Impressed by his catch radius and ability to make contested catches. #SEAvsATL

Wishing now I would have grabbed him before the game. Not too bad of a day In ppr for his first game replacing Sanu. Hopefully he goes under the radar and I can grab him on waivers this week. Had 7 catches on 9 targets for 58 yards. 
I grabbed him in one league (I needed some depth) and like what I see enough to keep him for a while. Not expecting too much, but considering how bad my flex options have been during the bye weeks (plus some injuries) he's worth keeping.

With Theilen a DNP yesterday and not alot of other sexy options (Gordon, Lazzard, Dionte) rolling Gage out in a must win! Fingers crossed for a big day

Gage should see a few more passes his way tonight:

Julio Jones (shoulder) is out for Week 13 against the Saints.

The team tested his shoulder pregame and ruled him out. Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage and Christian Blake will start in three-wide sets with Justin Hardy and Olamide Zaccheaus also available as reserves. Jaeden Graham is expected to play every down in place of Austin Hooper and Luke Stocker, the latter who joins Jones on the inactive list.

Nov 28, 2019, 6:52 PM ET

With Theilen a DNP yesterday and not alot of other sexy options (Gordon, Lazzard, Dionte) rolling Gage out in a must win! Fingers crossed for a big day
Was planning the same, accidentally left Gallup in one league.

Playing Gage over Diontae, Hyde and guice in another

Falcons' Russell Gage: More work on tap

Gage is in line for increased usage with Calvin Ridley (abdomen) expected to miss the rest of the season, Will McFadden of the Falcons' official site reports.

Since Mohamed Sanu was dealt to the Patriots in late October, Gage has manned the slot for the Falcons, racking up 41 targets over the last six games. Gage's peripheral numbers (9.2 YPC and 6.3 YPT) are appropriate for a receiver that doesn't make an impact outside of short- and medium-range throws from Matt Ryan. Having said that, Gage is set to be an even bigger part of Atlanta's passing attack over the final three games of the campaign.

ESPN's Vaughn McClure believes "has made tremendous strides and is ready to make a big impact as the slot guy."

We'd argue how much of an impact Gage will actually make with Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Hayden Hurst, and Todd Gurley soaking up most targets, but this report does mean Gage will at least be on the field in Atlanta's three-receiver sets. It also suggests Laquon Treadwell is expected to be cut during 53-man roster trim downs. 

RELATED: 

Laquon Treadwell

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 2, 2020, 3:19 PM ET

Won't happen every game, though
Yeah. I'm just trying to decide if today was mostly because Hurst isn't up to speed with the team, or if Gage continues to be the 3rd option. I think he'll have the 3rd most targets on the year. (Obviously not over 160)

Sanu had a few "boom" games for the Falcons too.  I don't think this is the kind of football Atlanta wants to play - IMO the defense came out flat. I expected them to take another step forward after modest improvement last season. I kinda think this may have been due to no preseason.  I don't think Atlanta brought in Gurley so they could throw the ball 50X. Shootouts happen - this seems like more of a fluke than the norm. If you take the target %s into consideration & give Ryan a 300 yard game instead of a 450 yard game, everyone's share shrinks, but Gage's shrinks a lot since several of his grabs were in garbage time. 

Of all the unexpected WR blow ups week 1, Gage's feels the least sustainable. 

I could be wrong of course. At this point if Godwin misses game 2, I'd much rather have Scotty Don't than Gage in my lineup. 

Ps - If I am wrong and the ATL D is just worse this year, and they get in a ton of shootouts, everything I said above goes out the window & Gurley's value tanks while Ridley, Julio, Gage and possibly Hurst become league-winners. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year there is a situation that arises that everyone shakes their head and says "No way, I'm not going to ever start the guy" and so they pass on what proves to be solid production over the season. 

Now I'll ask the gallery out there, is there anything to see here? Clearly the #3 WR but the TE spot is now not quite what it has been in years past and with defenses locking in on Julio and Ridley, Gage is left running around wide open and he had a ton of targets last week. 

Is he even flex-worthy? Last year Weeks 8, 12 and 13 he had about 30 targets over that span, was pretty involved 2nd half of last season...does not have a very high ypc avg. 

Every year there is a situation that arises that everyone shakes their head and says "No way, I'm not going to ever start the guy" and so they pass on what proves to be solid production over the season. 

Now I'll ask the gallery out there, is there anything to see here? Clearly the #3 WR but the TE spot is now not quite what it has been in years past and with defenses locking in on Julio and Ridley, Gage is left running around wide open and he had a ton of targets last week. 
1 game sample size seems a smidge premature to say this definitively. I still believe Hurst will veg looks in this offense. 

Is he even flex-worthy? Last year Weeks 8, 12 and 13 he had about 30 targets over that span, was pretty involved 2nd half of last season...does not have a very high ypc avg. 
Possibly....again, we’ll need a few games to determine that. Unfortunately you’ve got to make the move now if you want to find out. 

id say it’s a coin flip. I’d claim / bid on Campbell, MWilliams, MVS and probably Scotty Don’t ahead of Gage. Maybe I’d be wrong for that. 

If you take the target %s into consideration & give Ryan a 300 yard game instead of a 450 yard game, everyone's share shrinks, but Gage's shrinks a lot since several of his grabs were in garbage time. 
I was curious about how much of Gage's production came in garbage time, so I looked through the game log.  I just wanted to clarify this a bit.

In the 4th quarter, Gage went 4 for 60 yards. The first 3 quarters, he went 5 for 54 yards.

With the game against Dallas slated to be a high scoring affair, who is running Gage out there over other options?

I was curious about how much of Gage's production came in garbage time, so I looked through the game log.  I just wanted to clarify this a bit.

In the 4th quarter, Gage went 4 for 60 yards. The first 3 quarters, he went 5 for 54 yards.

With the game against Dallas slated to be a high scoring affair, who is running Gage out there over other options?
I am out of desperation really. And I have Julio going too. Already down Deebo, AJ Brown and Golladay.

drafted him as my WR8 in a very deep league with the goal of flipping him sometime this season to the Julio or Calvin owner if either came down with a longer than 1 -2 week injury .....  he played well towards the end of last season in the Sanu roll -- reminds me of an Amendola type you can start any week in pinch and get something   

5 for 54 sounds about right. 

.15 chance of a TD. 

Not sure yet. Either Gage, Trequan or Aiyuk as my WR2 in one spot. Sucks. Probably will go with Trequan. Kirk is in my doghouse with Edwards. 

I think there is too high a chance Hurst gets more of the pie this week. Gage may have a lower TD upside as well.

Russell Gage caught 6-of-9 targets for 46 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 2 loss to the Cowboys.

Gage started his day with a third-down, opening-drive drop, but he's proved through two weeks that he needs to be added in 12-team leagues as a WR4. The Falcons' slot man has seen 21 targets through two contests and should have had a 42-yard touchdown throw to his name in this one, but Julio Jones dropped it. Gage gets a Week 3 date with the Bears.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating starting Gage over Gallup and Robert Woods...Gallup has to be due one of these games, but Cooper and Lamb are getting more looks.  Woods is supposed to be covered by Tre'davious White this Sunday.  

Gage could see a good number of targets again...Julio might suit up and be more of a decoy than anything else to protect his hammy.

Ok, forget all my other posts. Gage is a great play this week. Julio is clearly hobbled. This will be the Ridley/Gage show. 

on another note, I’ll never understand why Julio goes out in a “decoy” role. He seems to do this any time he hurts a hammy, and all he does it run around in his pajamas & risk further injury / lack of healing.

I don’t understand why the Falcons don’t just shut him down. I get that he’s a gamer and wants to be out there, but man. Just seems irresponsible and short-sighted.  

Good for Gage owners.  This guy went undrafted in many leagues, was widely available even after Week 2, the Julio owner was wise in our league and scooped him up, I wish I had grabbed him even if this train ride only last a month or 6 weeks, the Flacons are on the brink of perhaps having the deadliest starting TRIO at WR and a veteran QB that has to be enticing to any person wanting to be the future coach here, wish it wouldn't end this way but it has to. 

Gage could see a good number of targets again...Julio might suit up and be more of a decoy than anything else to protect his hammy.

Ok, forget all my other posts. Gage is a great play this week. Julio is clearly hobbled. This will be the Ridley/Gage show. 
Ditto x 2 - Gage is probably my Flex this week... another good week and he could be  pushing for WR2 on my team.

Fantasy Pros ECR has him at WR 41, if Julio sits how high does Gage go?

WR35 - CDavis

WR30- Slayton

WR25 - CD Lamb

WR20- Diggs

I'd probably put him in the high 20's

Plug and play replacement for Julio
I see stuff like this and feel dumb that I’m even waffling between Gage and Slayton. Guess I need to get used to the idea that Gage IS the upside play in comparisons like this now, and I’ve owned him since last season in dynasty

Gage has seen 21 targets in the first 2 weeks (12 & 9). I know that is is partly due to having 2 alpha receivers on the field in Julio & Ridley. 
But, even if Julio does sit - Gage should still see 8-10 targets. 

Users who are viewing this thread