What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pedestrians with Stroller, Car Runs Red Light, And Then... (1 Viewer)

Everything about that is insane. Seemed like there was a left turn signal and the pedestrians were likely crossing against a don’t walk sign. They almost got hit even before that suv ran the light. The suv then runs the light going way too fast and plows into the Chevy Cruz where it narrowly misses the pedestrians. Bizarrely, the pedestrians seem to never even break stride, they keep just ambling across the intersection at the exact same speed without looking back, running, etc.

About a decade ago, my friend from college was crossing an intersection legally when a car without the right-of-way struck and killed his eldest son. These things don't always work out as blissfully as the video is described by GroveDiesel. I can't watch the video thinking of that. I haven't spoken with him since it happened, as we had drifted apart, but I sent him a message through the funeral home. Other friends handwrote condolences and the like...

Just...that's what this reminds me of. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything about that is insane. Seemed like there was a left turn signal and the pedestrians were likely crossing against a don’t walk sign. They almost got hit even before that suv ran the light. The suv then runs the light going way too fast and plows into the Chevy Cruz where it narrowly misses the pedestrians. Bizarrely, the pedestrians seem to never even break stride, they keep just ambling across the intersection at the exact same speed without looking back, running, etc.
If you watch the light across the street carefully, you can see the walk sign change to the flashing stop hand sign, so the pedestrian had the right of way.

The cars turning left probably had a solid green and were trying to make the turn before the pedestrian, which is pretty jerky for sure.

My take is the Cruz hit the SUV on purpose. The Cruz was going to make a left, but slowed down for the pedestrian, but then sped up again to hit the car running the light.

About a decade ago, my friend from college was crossing an intersection legally when a car without the right-of-way struck and killed his eldest son. These things don't always work out as blissfully as the video is described by GroveDiesel. I can't watch the video thinking of that. I haven't spoken with him since it happened, as we had drifted apart, but I sent him a message through the funeral home. Other friends handwrote condolences and the like...

Just...that's what this reminds me of. 
That sucks, man, I am sorry.

That sucks, man, I am sorry.
Thanks. It was more a sense of sadness about one's eldest and first-born and how he must feel than trying to invoke sympathy. He was a tempestuous dude and we'd had issues because of it, but I felt for him. 

I probably shouldn't have dragged the thread down like that, but it's just a reality check that sometimes things aren't always so peachy in the uptake when things go wrong with cars and pedestrians. 

If you watch the light across the street carefully, you can see the walk sign change to the flashing stop hand sign, so the pedestrian had the right of way.

The cars turning left probably had a solid green and were trying to make the turn before the pedestrian, which is pretty jerky for sure.

My take is the Cruz hit the SUV on purpose. The Cruz was going to make a left, but slowed down for the pedestrian, but then sped up again to hit the car running the light.
What makes you think that?  I don't see anything in that video that leads me to believe that.  It was just dumb (but incredible) luck

Thanks. It was more a sense of sadness about one's eldest and first-born and how he must feel than trying to invoke sympathy. He was a tempestuous dude and we'd had issues because of it, but I felt for him. 

I probably shouldn't have dragged the thread down like that, but it's just a reality check that sometimes things aren't always so peachy in the uptake when things go wrong with cars and pedestrians. 
No doubt. The draw of the video, for me, is how unusual the situation is, in that the pedestrians were OK in spite of all the insanity going on around them.

What makes you think that?  I don't see anything in that video that leads me to believe that.  It was just dumb (but incredible) luck
The car, to me, seems to slightly hesitate (as if beginning to slow down to turn in order to wait for the pedestrians), but then quickly accelerates into the SUV running the light.

The car, to me, seems to slightly hesitate (as if beginning to slow down to turn in order to wait for the pedestrians), but then quickly accelerates into the SUV running the light.
The car is definitely going straight through the light but now that you say that and I watch it again, it does look like he speeds up at the end and tags that car.

:shrug: I just don't see it - once they enter the video they seem to go a consistent speed across.  But it is a small miracle for those folks either way.  I wince every time I watch it.

The car is definitely going straight through the light but now that you say that and I watch it again, it does look like he speeds up at the end and tags that car.
Not to belabor the point but if my eyes are deceiving me and they do speed up I would still attribute it to a normal speed up as you get toward the middle of an intersection.  I usually slow down and then once I feel comfortable speed up.  I see the probability that they did this to save the people at 1% or less but would be an awesome story if it were true.

Not to belabor the point but if my eyes are deceiving me and they do speed up I would still attribute it to a normal speed up as you get toward the middle of an intersection.  I usually slow down and then once I feel comfortable speed up.  I see the probability that they did this to save the people at 1% or less but would be an awesome story if it were true.
Yeah, I don't think they had the reaction to do it to save people. As I watch it again now, it may just be the way the street light play off the car. 

What I do know is that the car that is running the light was cooking. He's on the brakes pretty hard as he comes into the screen and stays on them through the hit. 

Just crazy stuff.

No way that car did it on purpose. His brake lights end up on when the car spins.
No chance.  If he sped up, it was to try and avoid the collision.  There's no way he could see a car running the light.  If cars could see that, they'd stop before the got in an accident.

Also, as to the peds crossing with a green turn arrow:  I don't get this, but I see this in PA all the time.  Cars get a green arrow to turn left and at the same time, the peds get a white walk sign.  So the car pulls forward into the intersection, but has to stop because the peds have the right of way.  By the time they all cross, the light has turned red and only one car gets through the light.  So stupid.

No chance.  If he sped up, it was to try and avoid the collision.  There's no way he could see a car running the light.  If cars could see that, they'd stop before the got in an accident.

Also, as to the peds crossing with a green turn arrow:  I don't get this, but I see this in PA all the time.  Cars get a green arrow to turn left and at the same time, the peds get a white walk sign.  So the car pulls forward into the intersection, but has to stop because the peds have the right of way.  By the time they all cross, the light has turned red and only one car gets through the light.  So stupid.
The cars didn't have a green arrow to turn left. As someone pointed out, you can see the walk sign and then starts flashing with a countdown. The people turning left likely have a green circle that they can still turn left with after yielding for cars and/or pedestrians. They should have been waiting for the pedestrians rather than turning. 

The cars didn't have a green arrow to turn left. As someone pointed out, you can see the walk sign and then starts flashing with a countdown. The people turning left likely have a green circle that they can still turn left with after yielding for cars and/or pedestrians. They should have been waiting for the pedestrians rather than turning. 
Can we see they don't have a green arrow?  Like I said, in PA cars will get a green arrow AND peds will get a WALK light at the same time.  It's stupid.

I'll go ahead and be the jerk here and heap blame on the pedestrians.  Motorists cannot see you when it is dark and you are wearing dark colors.  I am a runner who is routinely out running down an otherwise-busy road before 5:00 am, and I am wearing a reflective vest every single time because I know from my own experience of driving to work in the dark that pedestrians are invisible otherwise.  Streetlamps don't do #### for this sort of thing.

Obviously at least one of these drivers was drunk, but the mom almost got taken out by several other presumably sober drivers too.

I'll go ahead and be the jerk here and heap blame on the pedestrians.  Motorists cannot see you when it is dark and you are wearing dark colors.  I am a runner who is routinely out running down an otherwise-busy road before 5:00 am, and I am wearing a reflective vest every single time because I know from my own experience of driving to work in the dark that pedestrians are invisible otherwise.  Streetlamps don't do #### for this sort of thing.

Obviously at least one of these drivers was drunk, but the mom almost got taken out by several other presumably sober drivers too.
The runner of the red light also got a DUI, which trumps whatever the pedestrian did

The runner of the red light also got a DUI, which trumps whatever the pedestrian did
Sure.  Driving drunk sucks and people who drive drunk should spend some time in jail.

The pedestrian needs to be much smarter and self-aware.  Meandering through a busy intersection in the dark is a stupid thing to do.  Obviously nobody deserves to get run over by a drunk driver, but I deal with this sort of thing literally daily and you learn to make allowances for drivers who might or might not know that you're even there.

Sure.  Driving drunk sucks and people who drive drunk should spend some time in jail.

The pedestrian needs to be much smarter and self-aware.  Meandering through a busy intersection in the dark is a stupid thing to do.  Obviously nobody deserves to get run over by a drunk driver, but I deal with this sort of thing literally daily and you learn to make allowances for drivers who might or might not know that you're even there.
This is a great lesson for everyone in EVERY aspect of life.  I always tell my daughter not to yell at idiot guys just because you think guys shouldn't hit girls.  Because there are exceptions to the rules.  And while the guys are 100% in the wrong, that won't give you any solace when you have a black eye and concussion.  

Don't act one way because other people are supposed to act another.

Only thing is, I have to stop at the hotel first and make sure I get a room.  So I'll be going across 92 bridge, whatever that is.  Hotel is in Burlingame or something like that.  So check in, then book it to the GGB.  Maybe.  I still haven't eaten all day.  I had a Payday bar at 9 am.  But that's it.  Plus, I have to leave the hotel around 6am, so I have to be up by 5:15.

It's not just jerky, I think it's illegal to turn left before the pedestrian completes crossing the road. And no way the Cruz driver could react so quickly to the situation to purposely thwart the red light runner.

This video never makes it on the internet without the car running the red light.  But even without that happening, crosswalks are so extremely dangerous at some of these intersections where cars have a green light, going straight but not a green arrow to make a turn.  The pedestrian usually gets the walk signal during this time.   Where I live, it is so dangerous to use a crosswalk at a nearby intersection that I’ll walk 1/4 past it and just cross the 4 lane road when it’s clear, way safer than the crosswalk.   I googled and it looks like it’s not illegal to cross in the street as long as you at least 100 meters from the crosswalk.   Cars having a green going straight, but they don’t have a green arrow to make a right at this intersection is big trouble.    A driver turning right has no idea that a pedestrian might be crossing legally at this time, they see green only.   Would it be such a hard thing to have the green light blinking when the pedestrian signal is in progress, the driver doesn’t get a green arrow, just a blinking green until the pedestrian signal has cycled thru.  

TheIronSheik said:
Like I said, if I were visiting PA and saw this I would call the DOT.  There’s no plausible explanation for it other than a flaw in the system.  I’ve never seen this in my life and should be obviously dangerous to anyone.

Like I said, if I were visiting PA and saw this I would call the DOT.  There’s no plausible explanation for it other than a flaw in the system.  I’ve never seen this in my life and should be obviously dangerous to anyone.
Unless I'm not understanding or am an idiot (both very possible) I think this is the norm.

I'm in NJ and pretty sure this always happens at every major hwy intersection. 

They both have the go ahead to proceed but cars must yield to pedestrians. 

I think TIS is correct. I am almost certain the same phenomenon exists in Honolulu. Perhaps not coincidentally, as we have a ton of pedestrians that are hit.

ETA Trying to look this up, I'm not so sure of the exact timing of the turn and pedestrian signals. But regardless of whether the protected left green arrow coincides with the pedestrian "walk" changing to "don't walk", it's still possible the pedestrian entered the intersection before the arrow was green, so the driver must yield.

TheIronSheik said:
Only thing is, I have to stop at the hotel first and make sure I get a room.  So I'll be going across 92 bridge, whatever that is.  Hotel is in Burlingame or something like that.  So check in, then book it to the GGB.  Maybe.  I still haven't eaten all day.  I had a Payday bar at 9 am.  But that's it.  Plus, I have to leave the hotel around 6am, so I have to be up by 5:15.
Update?

Unless I'm not understanding or am an idiot (both very possible) I think this is the norm.

I'm in NJ and pretty sure this always happens at every major hwy intersection. 

They both have the go ahead to proceed but cars must yield to pedestrians. 
I've never seen this anywhere - I can't think of a possible explanation for it.  Granted I've spent 99.999% of my life and driving time in the Southeast.

From what i can see on google sheik appears to be correct. Looks like they started putting flashing yellows just this year. 
Sheik said green arrow - if it's a flashing yellow that's different.  I could see that as that basically means you need to yield.  A walk sign plus a green arrow just doesn't seem possible to me.

From what i can see on google sheik appears to be correct. Looks like they started putting flashing yellows just this year. 
This is a relatively new phenomenon around Indianapolis. And how they work exactly varies by intersection.

A) Most basic version that more or less matches traditional traffic signals: Turn lanes get a green arrow, they turn yellow, then red and the green circle comes for the through lanes, then the turn arrow flips to a flashing yellow - thus allowing turn lanes to proceed when open. Basically works the same as previous intersections that shared a turn arrow with a green circle.

B) There's several varieties but they generally involve the through lanes getting a green circle with the turn lanes getting a flashing yellow to "proceed when open". Then at some point the flashing yellow arrow will flip to green. Sometimes it will be one direction and then the other. Sometimes it's both turn lanes simultaneously. Sometimes it will be something like

1. eastbound green circles and green arrow while west bound stays red
  2. eastbound green circle and flashing yellow arrow with west bound green circle with flashing yellow arrow
  3. eastbound red circle and arrow with westbound green circle and arrow
You can put a couple twists on that, and they have depending on the intersections. People have mostly caught on but does kind of monkey with the pedestrian traffic, IMO. Pretty much all of these types of intersections are ones that have traditionally had issues handling the traffic volume going through them so it's often an improvement for vehicle traffic flow. 

TheIronSheik said:
Can we see they don't have a green arrow?  Like I said, in PA cars will get a green arrow AND peds will get a WALK light at the same time.  It's stupid.
That sounds like a flaw that should be reported.

Never mind, should have finished the page before responding. That is really stupid.

Sheik said green arrow - if it's a flashing yellow that's different.  I could see that as that basically means you need to yield.  A walk sign plus a green arrow just doesn't seem possible to me.
I am saying sheik is correct and the flashing yellow is a very new thing in PA. As in previously there was a green and in some places it still is as I doubt they have replaced all of them in just a few months. 

I am saying sheik is correct and the flashing yellow is a very new thing in PA. As in previously there was a green and in some places it still is as I doubt they have replaced all of them in just a few months. 
So you are saying sheik is correct that there is a green arrow and a walk sign both going at the same time?  Because that's what he said.  Several of us are saying if that's the case then we would report it because it doesn't seem that it should be that way.  If, instead, you two are saying it's a flashing yellow then while I think it's stupid (like sheik said) it at least kind of makes sense but is very different than a green arrow and walk sign at the same time.

So you are saying sheik is correct that there is a green arrow and a walk sign both going at the same time?  Because that's what he said.  Several of us are saying if that's the case then we would report it because it doesn't seem that it should be that way.  If, instead, you two are saying it's a flashing yellow then while I think it's stupid (like sheik said) it at least kind of makes sense but is very different than a green arrow and walk sign at the same time.
Yeah, this. If flashing yellow and a flashing don't walk, that makes a little more sense. Both are being told to use caution. Both a green arrow and a walk sign indicate you have the right of way; two intersecting paths should not have the right of way at the same time.

IvanKaramazov said:
jon_mx said:

I have good news and bad news.  First the bad news - you're dead.

In traffic, always yield to the object that can kill you.

who cares about green arrows don't walk signs or any of that nonsense the Jack hole ran a f****** red light doing 60 miles an hour

I am saying sheik is correct, yes(or at least was correct). I had found an older cheat sheet from a penn drivers ed class that I cant seem to find now that seemed to describe what he was saying. I cant seem to find it now, but I did find the state statute which reads different from others...

Vehicular traffic facing a green arrow signal, shown alone or in combination with another indication, may enter the intersection only to make the movement indicated by the arrow, or such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian-control signal as provided in section 3113 (relating to pedestrian-control signals), pedestrians facing any green signal may proceed across the roadway within a crosswalk.
You can't lawfully be in the crosswalk on a green arrow where I live. In fact my state expressly forbids it when facing a green arrow.

No pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric scooter or an electric personal assistive mobility device facing such signal may enter
I brought up the move to the flashing yellow to show that the state of pennsylvania has identified the problem and is making the move to correct it so no need for everybody to start calling the Penn DOT. 

In doing some research on the flashing yellows it seems West Virginia, Maryland, Penn, and Hawaii were the last holdouts on flashing yellow, with Hawaii and Penn being the most recent to implement.

That seems somewhat relevant since somebody mentioned thinking they saw what Sheik was talking about in Hawaii. 

Users who are viewing this thread