What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many championships have your teams won? (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I know there will be a ton of people who don't read this and just post "My Yankees won 359 of them."

And I'll still find that funny if it's shtick, so by all means, go for it.  

But I'm wondering how many teams of the 4 major sports (sorry soccer nerds) that you rooted for have won while you were a fan.  A couple of stipulations.  You had to have been a fan for at least 10 years of the team.  So if you just became an Red Sox fan last year, that one doesn't count.  Now, if you were like me and the Phillies won the first year you started watching baseball, that's still acceptable because I eventually was a fan still ten years later.  I'm just trying to figure out how many championships most people get to celebrate.

I have 5.  The Phils in 80 and 08.  The Sixers in 83.  The Eagles in 2018.  And the Astros in 2017.  I thought I was in a drought, but I'm thinking 5 might be the average.  I'm sure there are people with more, but I'm guessing people with less, too.

For the teams I follow closely, with my favorites listed first.

Total: 13

Red Sox (4), Phillies (2), Cubs (1)

Dolphins (2), Eagles (1)

Flyers (2)

Sixers (1)

Celtics - 5
Red Sox - 1
Nationals - 0*
Bears - 1
Caps 1

Moved from Chicago to Boston in the mid-70s (Patriots sucked, so I held on to Bears). Moved to DC in early 90s and started to like local teams, except Redskins (great in 90s) and Bullets/Wizards who are horrible. Switched to Nats when they moved here in 2005.

*2 games short of 1st!!! GO NATS!!!

Edited to correct for when I was fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baseball:  Cubs (3)

Football:  Bears (1)

Basketball:  Bulls (6)

And I'll say that when I was growing up, I vacillated between the Bulls (90's) and the Lakers (80's, 2000's) as "my team".

So will add... Lakers (16)

I don't really watch hockey, so don't even have a team.

I think I've had it pretty good, especially with my hoops teams.  '86 was great for the Bears; I was just becoming a "sports fan".

I wonder which team will be next.  Lakers are likely the closest, but man... the West is loaded.  

Twins (2) 1987 & 1991
I actually rooted for both of these for the whole season.  I was a Tigers fan and a Twins fan for parts of my life because my baseball teams were called that.  So I adopted them as my teams.  Loved Gagne, Puckett and Hrbek.  That season when I think it was the home team won every game, was amazing.  87 was the first year I really followed a team from start to finish and watched them win it all.  But I never stuck with them as my team, so I don't count them.  

Championships I have witnessed:

Yankees - 7 (1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009)

Cowboys - 4 (1978, 1993, 1994, 1996)

Bruins - 1 (2011)

So 12 total.

I also rooted for the Celtics when I followed basketball in my teens, so thought about adding 1984 & 1986, but I dont think I've watched a complete basketball game in 25 years so I left them off. 

An odd group of teams, to be sure. My dad has always been a huge Yankees fan, so he got me hooked early. Cowboys were the first NFL game I watched on tv.  We used to get WSBK out of Boston on our cable system here in NY when I was a kid, so that got me watching the Bruins and Celts in the very early 80's. 

Baseball:  Cubs (3)

Football:  Bears (1)

Basketball:  Bulls (6)

And I'll say that when I was growing up, I vacillated between the Bulls (90's) and the Lakers (80's, 2000's) as "my team".

So will add... Lakers (16)

I don't really watch hockey, so don't even have a team.

I think I've had it pretty good, especially with my hoops teams.  '86 was great for the Bears; I was just becoming a "sports fan".

I wonder which team will be next.  Lakers are likely the closest, but man... the West is loaded.  
Wait.  What?  How old are you?

I should also add the two Avalanche Cups in, too.  Forgot about them.  I was a huge Joe Sakic fan growing up.  He was my hero.  So I loved the Nordiques.  When they won in Colorado, that was also amazing to finally see them do well.

Angels - 1 and Royals -1 (I became a fan when a player I coached in High School was on the Royals and been a fan since....this was way after 85 so I don't count that Royals win).

LA Kings - 2

Vikings - 0

Lakers -  the 5 titles in the 80's.  The pre 80's were before my time and I became a Laker fan on hiatus when Kobe arrived (I just couldn't root for him).

Niners* - five

Warriors* - five

Giants* - three (as SF)

Sabres* - zero

* - I have not, and will not, reference any of these teams as “my” 

Indiana Hoosiers: 3 (2 that I remember)

Seahawks: 1 

Reds: 2 (1 that I remember)

Mariners: yeah right

NBA: #### that league 

Sounders: 1 I think. Don’t really care but it makes people happy where I live.

Yankees 77, 78, 96, 98, 99, 00, 09 (7)

Giants 87, 91, 08, 12 (4)

Rangers 94 (1)

Not an NBA fan.

I was too young to still have specific memories of 77 and 78 but I have pictures.  I remember specific locations and people I was with for all the other titles.  And was at Yankee Stadium for the 98 series.  I have the ticket framed. 

Since I became a fan- 5.

Cowboys (3) Started rooting for them in 79 against the Steelers in the Super Bowl when they lost. Got 3 in the 90s.

Flyers (0) ugh

Phillies (1) / Mets (1)- i was a Phillies fan growing up in the 70s. My dad was always a Mets fan. We always went to Mets/Phillies games at the Vet. Started leaning towards the Mets after the 1980 WS. Then got to enjoy the Mets in ‘86. Been all Mets since.  

Don’t care about Basketball.

Diehard/harcore fan:
St Louis Blues (1 - 2019)
Denver Broncos (3 - 1997, 1998, 2015)
St Louis Cardinals (3 - 1982, 2006, 2011)

Big fan/bandwagon:
Detroit Pistons (2 - 1989, 1990) - I was a huge fan of the Bad Boys.
St Louis Rams (1 - 1999) - rooted for them once it was obvious they had a shot and once it was clear my Broncos weren't doing anything that season, and they were the home team after all. 

My formative years of following professional sports started in about '78.

So in the past 40 years (my God I'm old now ffs)

NY Rangers - 1 

Boston Red Sox - 4

NFL/NBA - nah don't follow that crap

Manchester United - well, just shy of 359 :towelwave:

For the teams I follow closely, with my favorites listed first.

Total: 13

Red Sox (4), Phillies (2), Cubs (1)

Dolphins (2), Eagles (1)

Flyers (2)

Sixers (1)
I only counted titles since I’ve been alive.  The total would be 25 if I counted all titles:

Red Sox (9), Phillies (2), Cubs (3)

Dolphins (2), Eagles (4)

Flyers (2)

Sixers (3)

As the worst combo N.Y. Fan, Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers, i can claim only 2.  Sadly, this won’t change in the next 50 years as far as i can tell.

Reds- 1, (was only in kindergarten for 75,76)

Detroit Tigers - 1 (they had Sparky and there was no inter league BS, so this did not conflict with the Reds)

Bengals- yeah right, and I care less and less each day.

FCC - 0, one year and already caught up with the Bengals.

Kentucky Basketball - 3  since I turned 10 (I will fight anyone that says NCAA hoops isn’t one of the 4 major sports)

Not a big enough fan of any other “major” teams to claim them.

Lakers - 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Angels - 2002

<<------Ducks - 2007

Celtics - 3 or 4

Red Sox - 4

Whalers - 0

Jets - 0

So, like 8. The only reason the Celtics are indecisive is because I was younger in the '80s, so I'm not sure I remember the first of that era.

Islanders.  Still holding strong to those 4 cups we won in the 80s.  At this point we are like Al Bundy and his Polk High memories.  

I know there will be a ton of people who don't read this and just post "My Yankees won 359 of them."

And I'll still find that funny if it's shtick, so by all means, go for it.  

But I'm wondering how many teams of the 4 major sports (sorry soccer nerds) that you rooted for have won while you were a fan.  A couple of stipulations.  You had to have been a fan for at least 10 years of the team.  So if you just became an Red Sox fan last year, that one doesn't count.  Now, if you were like me and the Phillies won the first year you started watching baseball, that's still acceptable because I eventually was a fan still ten years later.  I'm just trying to figure out how many championships most people get to celebrate.

I have 5.  The Phils in 80 and 08.  The Sixers in 83.  The Eagles in 2018.  And the Astros in 2017.  I thought I was in a drought, but I'm thinking 5 might be the average.  I'm sure there are people with more, but I'm guessing people with less, too.
Sixers 83

Phillies 08 

Eagles 17

That's it. And I was 2 for the Sixers one.

My dad is from New York and while he’s not generally a sports guy, he always liked the Yankees and passed that on to add to my Houston upbringing. 

Yankees/Stros - 96, 98, 99, 00, 09, 17 (6)

Oilers/Texans - (0)

Rockets - 94, 95 (2)

Yes last week was weird vs growing up with a favorite AL & NL team. 

Cowboys: 5

Spurs: 5

Disclaimer:  I quit giving a #### about the Cowboys somewhere around the turn of the century.  Got tired of Jerry Jones' incompetence.  

Waiting for @timschochet to enter the thread and post the high total.

ETA: Forgot about my Bucks County daze.  '83 76ers. Then I moved away and kind of lost touch when the Jeff Ruland era kicked off.

Users who are viewing this thread