What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumb question about citizenship (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
If your grandparents and great grandfathers are from Italy, is it possible to claim duel citizenship in the US and Italy? Does anyone know?

If your grandparents and great grandfathers are from Italy, is it possible to claim duel citizenship in the US and Italy? Does anyone know?
I have no idea but I believe not all countries will allow dual citizenship.  I do not know if Italy (or the US for that matter) are that way.  If only there was some way you could punch that question into something to find out....hahahah

I have no idea but I believe not all countries will allow dual citizenship.  I do not know if Italy (or the US for that matter) are that way.  If only there was some way you could punch that question into something to find out....hahahah
Italy specifically allows it.   The US does not disallow it.

I believe my great grandparents immigrated from northern Italy in the 1896"
It used to be that when you became a naturalized citizen you renounced your citizenship to another country.  What's important is when they became citizens.   Your grandparents don't count if they weren't born in Italy.

Please note that prior to the year 1992, ALL Italian citizens that naturalized as U.S. Citizens AUTOMATICALLY lost their Italian Citizenship, and no formal renunciation was required. 

I actually have dual citizenship in Italy and the US, so it's allowed between the two countries, but I was born there (parents both US citizens).  Not sure about what you're asking, but why would you want to, out of curiosity?

Also, be mindful of the age of whoever is asking. There is a military commitment up to a certain age there. Until I was over 26, when I went to visit, I had to bring certain paperwork or else I would have been immediately drafted for 2 years when I got off the plane. I was only allowed to stay for 3 months at a time, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread