What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

100 Years Later: The Legacy of Mistrust Between Black Communities And Law Enforcement From Red Summer (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
It’s not a commonly known or discussed event in American History (though I’m sure @OrtonToOlsen knows of it) but this year marks the 100th anniversary of Red Summer, when hundreds of African Americans across the country returning from war and fleeing Jim Crow were murdered, raped, beaten, and lynched, often after returning from WWI as heroes in Europe, for daring to build communities, join unions, and look for work in New York; Memphis, Tennessee; Philadelphia; Charleston, South Carolina; Baltimore; New Orleans; Wilmington, Delaware; Omaha, Nebraska; New London, Connecticut; Bisbee, Arizona; Longview, Texas; Knoxville, Tennessee; Norfolk, Virginia; and Putnam County, Georgia. 

The police and other governmental entities were “in on it” so to speak, to the point where a young woman named Carrie Johnson, 17 years old, shot and killed a police officer who had broken into her home and was hailed as a hero. She was convicted of manslaughter, which was later overturned with a lot less fanfare than the original conviction.  

Retrospective

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in the south, northern smugness over race really irritates me sometimes.

Northern cities weren't exactly safe haven for many blacks. Especially during "The Great Migration"

Northern cities weren't exactly safe haven for many blacks. Especially during "The Great Migration"
The three links in the above two postings all mention riots and lynchings in northern cities without smugness.

Interesting reads, really.

Plus, if you want to talk real school segregation, we can talk New York and L.A.

Genuinely stupid question: is this the inspiration for the plot in the new Watchmen series on HBO?

It was just a general statement. Why are looking for an argument. Ya know what dont answer that. I dont really care.
I’m not looking for an argument, I’m trying to discuss what you brought up in the thread.  

I ask because I’m a Louisianan. And the thread is (and article is) very much about what happened to people migrating away from Jim Crow laws. The woman who shot a police officer I mentioned above was in Washington.  1919 (Red Summer) was absolutely a response to the start of the Great Migration, which is why it was in New York and Connecticut and Baltimore and Delaware.  

Henry Ford said:
I’m not looking for an argument, I’m trying to discuss what you brought up in the thread.  

I ask because I’m a Louisianan. And the thread is (and article is) very much about what happened to people migrating away from Jim Crow laws. The woman who shot a police officer I mentioned above was in Washington.  1919 (Red Summer) was absolutely a response to the start of the Great Migration, which is why it was in New York and Connecticut and Baltimore and Delaware.  
Okay, I will try one more time to clarify my post.

I was not attacking the op or the links provided. In fact I was happy to see it.

I was just making a statement that many people in general have no idea of the struggle many blacks faced in northern cities after fleeing the south. 

Ignorance on the subject has become a pet-peeve of mine.  I thanks you for posting this and hope others will read it.

Okay, I will try one more time to clarify my post.

I was not attacking the op or the links provided. In fact I was happy to see it.

I was just making a statement that many people in general have no idea of the struggle many blacks faced in northern cities after fleeing the south. 

Ignorance on the subject has become a pet-peeve of mine.  I thanks you for posting this and hope others will read it.
Cool.  I agree.  That's what I thought at first you were saying.  Sorry we got our wires crossed between then and now.  

I don't recall ever reading about the Thibodaux massacre, and that is something I believe I would have recalled if ever previously exposed.  Thanks for posting.  This counts for my one thing I learned today, and it is only 9:24. 

Users who are viewing this thread