What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*WAIVER WIRE PICK-UPS AFTER WEEK 8* (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 OK gang, its that time again.

Time to start eyeing the early pickups for week 9. I can actually watch some of the games this week early, whereas last week I couldn't.

I know Drake is OUT , so MARK WALTON to the courtesy phone.    Probably your last chance to get him free right now, depends on your leagues settings.

Who ya got???

TZM

Looks like an awfully slow wire week.

Not really sure I will be targeting anyone........  Seems like a good week to pass on waivers (save priority) and just cherry pick from the trash leftover once waivers run.

Zach Zenner maybe?  Even then its like a one week spot play out of desperation, not to mention they are playing SF.  Mark Walton should be long gone in most leagues, add if you can.

I doubt I would burn any top 1 - 3 priority placing on anything we have to choose from this week. Possibly Gage if I needed WR help , and I mean I would have to be a desperate mother####er.   LOL.      :lol:

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to give Walton a shot, but I don't really have anyone to drop.  Herndon would be the only one.  That just leaves me with Henry at TE though.  White, Gordon, Brieda and McCoy aren't cutting it at RB2 behind Saquan....not sure Walton even helps.

QB Tannehill

RB Walton

Zenner 

Tra Carson (unless Drake joins the team)

Boston Scott

WR:  Gage

Conley

Metcalf

TE: Goedert

Fells

Jonnu Smith

Griffin (unless Herndon goes active)

This isn't going to be a popular opinion but I'll probably pick up Corey Davis is he gets dropped.  He was still targeted 6 times yesterday so that's 13 targets in the 2 games since Tannehill took over.   And they were going for some chunk plays on yesterday's passes (average depth of 23 yards according to Rotoworld).  

With injuries piling up and bye weeks upon us, you could do worse than having Ryan Tannehill as a streamer or backup. He's looked as decent as you'd hope for as a QB2, especially if you're one of the folks like I was across leagues with guys like Wentz (still out of sync), Murray (49ers 2x, bye, in 3 of next 4 weeks), or Mayfield (still out of sync) hoping to carry the load.

Cameron Brate played 66% of snaps and was targeted 6 times on Sunday.  Only 8 tight ends have averaged 6 or more targets this season.  Brate plays against Seattle this week who have given up the 3rd most points to tight ends this year.  So if Howard is out again or traded, you aren't going to find a better replacement for week 9 on the waiver wire.

Grabbing the Browns defense for their upcoming schedule.
I did this just a bit ago for the chance to start them in Denver against a QB that has never thrown a pass in the NFL.

I won't tell you who I cut to get them, you may not believe it.  (No not NE LOL)

TZM

R. penny - trade talks are legit apparently.

C. Kirk - massive target #'s when he plays.always goes 8-89 seemingly

Guice comes back to play this week

MAttison, cook is overdue to blow a knee

Mostert - Breida down again

Goedert -

Ladies and Gentleman, may I bring your attention to a defense that should pay huge dividends the next many weeks

@Mia, NYG, @Was, OAK, @Cin, MIA...the New York Jets are owned in less than 40% of leagues going into this week and amongst those owners they aren't being started often so you might even be able to poach them from another owner.  If they are not a top 5 defense over the next 6 weeks and I mean the TOTAL number of sacks, Int, FF/FR, TD, Special Teams, if they don't total out over those 6 weeks in the top 5 they will be a huge disappointment. And to be fair, they haven't scored much since Week 3, in fact 2 of the first 3 weeks they were strong producers but since it's been a wasteland mostly. 

Get the Jets! 

Edit to add: I would consider cutting a team like the Vikings who have actually been good scoring between 10-14, 3 of the last 4 weeks but their schedule is about to change and I think you can cut a team like that and not feel the need to carry two. If you happen to already own the Bills, you can combo with the Jets and get Miami 3 more times plus Skins, Bengals, you're gonna have a prime match up most weeks until the playoffs start. Good place to pick up some extra points you might be lacking at the Flex position or TE. 

Ladies and Gentleman, may I bring your attention to a defense that should pay huge dividends the next many weeks

@Mia, NYG, @Was, OAK, @Cin, MIA...the New York Jets are owned in less than 40% of leagues going into this week and amongst those owners they aren't being started often so you might even be able to poach them from another owner.  If they are not a top 5 defense over the next 6 weeks and I mean the TOTAL number of sacks, Int, FF/FR, TD, Special Teams, if they don't total out over those 6 weeks in the top 5 they will be a huge disappointment. And to be fair, they haven't scored much since Week 3, in fact 2 of the first 3 weeks they were strong producers but since it's been a wasteland mostly. 

Get the Jets! 

Edit to add: I would consider cutting a team like the Vikings who have actually been good scoring between 10-14, 3 of the last 4 weeks but their schedule is about to change and I think you can cut a team like that and not feel the need to carry two. If you happen to already own the Bills, you can combo with the Jets and get Miami 3 more times plus Skins, Bengals, you're gonna have a prime match up most weeks until the playoffs start. Good place to pick up some extra points you might be lacking at the Flex position or TE. 
Got sniped when I tried to preemptively pick them up last week.  But with Mosley being out, and Williams just getting traded, I'm not sure how interesting they are anymore.  Losing two of their best players on that side of the ball can't be good.

The New York Giants could be available if you want to look ahead to weeks 15 and 16, they draw Miami and Washington, those might be good match ups but the Giants are not exactly terrific on defense. They are in the top half of my league but available and could be like on less than 25% of rosters. They also draw the Jets and then Trubisky in the next few weeks. Worth a look for those that stream defenses. 

Got sniped when I tried to preemptively pick them up last week.  But with Mosley being out, and Williams just getting traded, I'm not sure how interesting they are anymore.  Losing two of their best players on that side of the ball can't be good.
That's an excellent point. Still Miami turns the ball over a lot. Steelers are not world beaters but they scored 16 last night in my league. 

Yeah my plan was the jets as well. But with Mosely gone, trumaine Johnson hurt again(although this actually might be a positive) and Williams traded, they're just not doing it for me anymore.

The wheels are off, so I can't rely on them now, regardless of schedule

mostert if you are in a pinch at RB, especially if breida doesnt play

samuel if he was dropped

dont look now but devante parker's been startable the last 4 weeks

If you are looking for a WR with potential upside, Amendola. Tons of targets the past two weeks in a pass happy offense.

Brandon Allen in Superflex leagues.

Just to see.

I might grab Rypien too if he gets promoted.  Denver is saying Lock is not ready to play (not sure if injury lingers or inexperience), but if that is the case Rypien should get promoted.

@Mia, NYG, @Was, OAK, @Cin, MIA...the New York Jets
Jets are a good call but losing Mosley hurts.   Browns have @Den (with Brandon Allen starting), Buf, Pit, Mia, @Pit, Cin,  @AZ, Bal the rest of the way.   Against bad teams, in theory the Browns can run the ball, control clock and keep scores low.

I'm dropping the Bears for one of these two, with the Browns my first pick and Jets second.  With the exception of the Giants the Bears schedule gets ugly the rest of the way.

With the exception of the Giants the Bears schedule gets ugly the rest of the way.
The Bears fantasy playoff schedule is especially brutal:  Week 14 Cowboys, Week 15 Packers, Week 16 Chiefs.  All 3 teams are top 6 in fewest fantasy points allowed to opposing defenses.

Jamal Williams and M. Sanders on my wire.  Both smell like fool's gold although Williams has been getting at least 10 pts a game every week regardless of whatever Jones is doing.

Considering dropping the Jets D for the Browns D. Sucks to miss out on the MIA matchup, but at this point given level of offensive play and loss of players on the Jets' D side of the ball to injury and trades, this actually might be a game MIA could win at home.
I actually think the MIA/NYJ game has sneaky shootout potential. Two lousy defenses. Fitzy can throw it against the Jets and I bet Darnold wakes up a bit.

I see D. Thomas, P. Williams, D. Parker as sneaky pickups.

Users who are viewing this thread