Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maurile Tremblay

YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE SUSPENDED!

15 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Context is important.  His post was “Just terrible posting after terrible posting.  Good work.“, that’s more then commenting on one specific post.  

It’s crazy that that post got reported. 

28 minutes ago, dgreen said:

I'm in favor of suspensions for anyone simply using the word "toady". Oh, crap, I just used it.

How about the Toadies?

This is where we are. Wasting time splitting hairs on this stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Not just reported. But commented on that the other guy was ready to start bringing his insults too. 

I'm just over it. 

28 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Saying something was a terrible posting is suspension worthy? 

See the first post in this thread. Posts about other people’s posting styles are always off-topic in threads that aren’t about that.

7 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Agreed. I feel that way about reporting in general, I don’t understand someone doing it.  But with that said I was surprised Jon posted that, especially as a guy who touts he never makes it personal. JMHO of course.  

In an effort to move this thread away from the endless finger-pointing, I'll share something positive I've been trying to do recently: If I find myself arguing with someone, I will go out of my way to start my post off by either finding points of agreement or at least acknowledging/restating their argument.

Basically, just treat it more like you would if you were having an IRL debate with a friend. I think there is a tendency in online debates to turn rhetorical opponents into caricatures: idiots, bad-faith trolls, etc. If you approach debates with the attitude that they're people you know (which is true, in a sense) it will help drain some the anger out of your interactions.

And for the record, I definitely do not live up to this standard 100 percent of the time. Sometimes the snarky reply is just sitting there begging to be used. But even there, I try to defuse before things escalate.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I agree, but, whomever reported it will argue that it's against the rules.  And it clearly is.  I think the spirit of the OP,  and what we've heard lately, is to only report things that are clearly over the line, things that clearly violate rule #8, not the rest of the rules.

But, at other times we've been told this is a self moderating forum and the mods rely on posters reporting things because the mods don't see 90% of the posts.  Some people have clearly taken that to heart so, I dunno.

Edited by tonydead

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:
48 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I agree, but, whomever reported it will argue that it's against the rules.  And it clearly is.  I think the spirit of the OP,  and what we've heard lately, is to only report things that are clearly over the line, things that clearly violate rule #8, not the rest of the rules.

But, at other times we've been told this is a self moderating forum and the mods rely on posters reporting things because the mods don't see 90% of the posts.  Some people have clearly taken that to heart so, I dunno.

We need people to report posts with bad language, indecent content, personal threats, spam, etc. We really need those reported because we want them taken down immediately.

Posts like jon's -- violations of the rules, but not so flagrant that it's super urgent to deal with them immediately -- should be ignored rather than reported, IMO. If I see a post like that, it will draw a suspension or at least a warning. If I don't see it and it's not reported, it may go unpunished, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

If you absolutely can't bring yourself to ignore a post like that, reporting it is a much better option that responding to it. Jackstraw's response was every bit as off-topic as jon's post was, and he probably should have been suspended as well.

But let's move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

We need people to report posts with bad language, indecent content, personal threats, spam, etc. We really need those reported because we want them taken down immediately.

Posts like jon's -- violations of the rules, but not so flagrant that it's super urgent to deal with them immediately -- should be ignored rather than reported, IMO. If I see a post like that, it will draw a suspension or at least a warning. If I don't see it and it's not reported, it may go unpunished, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

If you absolutely can't bring yourself to ignore a post like that, reporting it is a much better option that responding to it. Jackstraw's response was every bit as off-topic as jon's post was, and he probably should have been suspended as well.

But let's move on.

I think that matches what I said, thanks for the added clarification.  My point is a bunch of people don't get what you just said, and I suspect is the result of much of the frustration Joe has expressing the past several pages.  I'm moving on, but, I think maybe that's exactly what this thread should be about.

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. No desire to spend more time arguing it. As is always the case, the poster will do the :shrug: and say he didn't mean it like that.

When you reply to post and say:

the assumption is "them" is anyone who'd like to punish the Senator. I'm sure he'll play the, "No, I didn't actually mean the poster I was replying to..."  card.  When his next post is how lord he's ready to start throwing insults, that's telling.

Bottom line, he goaded the guy into saying it was a terrible posting, that was of course instantly reported and he got suspended. It is what it is. 

I feel bad for you joe

What a circus in here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

@Opie  You have 13 :lmao:on this page on comments about people upset about two career military people being fired.  Vindman for honoring a subpoena, the other for being the brother of Vindman.  What's so funny?

@Joe Bryant/ @Maurile Tremblay  Not wanting to talk about other people posting in a topic thread, but this seems like it falls under the "you know it when you see it"

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

5 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

@Joe Bryant/ @Maurile Tremblay  Not wanting to talk about other people posting in a topic thread, but this seems like it falls under the "you know it when you see it"

You’re complaining about someone using the laughing like emoji? He was not using the :lmao: emoji.

Edited by John Blutarsky
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

:lmao: Reporting posts not enough, now you want to report like reactions. 

Hes probably suspended, that's why he hasn't been posting. What do you want them to do change the software again , add onto the suspension?

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I don't think we're going to police likes or other reactions.

Noted.  That seems an allowed way to troll now.

Edited by Slapdash
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lmao: Reporting posts not enough, now you want to report like reactions. 

Reveal hidden contents

Hes probably suspended, that's why he hasn't been posting. What do you want them to do change the software again , add onto the suspension?

Was just a question.  You can't react to posts while banned.

Just now, Slapdash said:

Was just a question.  You can't react to posts while banned.

You used your question to report him. And I believe you can. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, tonydead said:

You used your question to report him. And I believe you can. 

Wrong on both points.  Have a good one.

• Laughing 2

3 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Wrong on both points.  Have a good one.

Yes, if they take posting privileges away instead of a timeout you can still use the like emojis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Yes, if they take posting privileges away instead of a timeout you can still use the like emojis. 

I think that was a side effect for letting people on timeouts continue to view the forum.  They can still log in and do other things, just not post. 

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

This is a thing?

I’m not at all in favor of shutting the PSF down but should it ever get to this point, close the doors and turn out the lights.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonydead said:
25 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

I think that was a side effect for letting people on timeouts continue to view the forum.  They can still log in and do other things, just not post. 

Sounds like a recent change.

You don't have to. Just eliminate this new like/reaction emoji now being used IMO to troll and the problem is solved. Seriously, if someone uses it 13 times in a thread, do you honestly believe it is because they repeatedly found what the person(s) said hilarious or were they instead ridiculing them? So far when asked to explain what they have found so funny the response has been :crickets: (for obvious reasons).

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

You don't have to. Just eliminate this new like/reaction emoji now being used IMO to troll and the problem is solved. Seriously, if someone uses it 13 times in a thread, do you honestly believe it is because they repeatedly found what the person(s) said hilarious or were they instead ridiculing them? So far when asked to explain what they have found so funny the response has been :crickets: (for obvious reasons).

Seriously? You were the main reason the laughing emoji can’t be used alone and now you want to eliminate the like laughing emoji. The fact it bothers some of you is astounding. 

Edited by John Blutarsky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Blutarsky said:

Seriously? You were the main reason the laughing emoji was eliminated and now you want to eliminate the like laughing emoji. The fact it bothers some of you is astounding. 

The laughing emoji was eliminated? I don't think so...here it is for you...:lmao:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, squistion said:

The laughing emoji was eliminated? I don't think so...here it is for you...:lmao:

You know what I meant. You complained over and over that it shouldn’t be used alone and reported it. 

7 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Let's talk about something less inconsequential.

Impossible to believe such a thing exists. 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

So what did you do Friday night?

I counted how many times this anonymous guy named Opie posted a laughing like at things he disagreed with and reported him to the owner of the message board.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 5

21 minutes ago, squistion said:

How about just ignoring it. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

How about just ignoring it. 🤷‍♂️

It is not as yet an ignore function feature. 

1 minute ago, squistion said:

How about just ignoring it? Like non message board terminology ignoring it. Like sticks and stones kinda stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, squistion said:

You need a ignore feature to ignore something?  I think we’ve identified part of the problem

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

JFC. I have noticed @Opie and the little game he's playing. It's kinda childish IMO, but since when do any of us have the right to never be bothered or annoyed by something? 

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, squistion said:

That’s your problem that you pay attention to likes and let it offend you.

1 hour ago, dkp993 said:

I’m not at all in favor of shutting the PSF down but should it ever get to this point, close the doors and turn out the lights.  

I disagree. If we get to that point I would prefer to see Joe hire a drill sergeant to show up at posters' houses and say, "WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE, PRIVATE!"

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

If you’re triggered by a reaction to your post then seriously consider getting outside tomorrow, take a walk, or something that has nothing to do with the internet.  Honestly look in the mirror and tell yourself you’re upset about a reaction on the internet by an internet stranger.  It doesn’t even disrupt the thread or conversation!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, Maurile Tremblay said:

Interesting. The other day I reported a post for what I believe was the first time since I joined the site, for what seemed to me to be homophobic language toward Mayor Pete. I guess that would fall into your first category of posts that should be removed ASAP -- and I saw someone mention in another thread that that poster had been punished for it -- but I wondered afterward whether it would have been better to report him or simply respond and ask him what he meant by that phrase. So this is helpful guidance. Report it if it's bad, ignore it otherwise, but don't drag out the argument.

(And don't worry. I'm not going to make a habit out of reporting posts, certainly not over people's tone or use of emojis.)

1 hour ago, Herb said:

JFC. I have noticed @Opie and the little game he's playing. It's kinda childish IMO, but since when do any of us have the right to never be bothered or annoyed by something? 

@Opiegiving that a smiley is pretty good shtick, gotta admit.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, zftcg said:

I disagree. If we get to that point I would prefer to see Joe hire a drill sergeant to show up at posters' houses and say, "WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE, PRIVATE!"

For the record i only gave this the crying emoji because i felt that best represented a smile being wiped off of somebodys face. 

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

For the record i only gave this the crying emoji because i felt that best represented a smile being wiped off of somebodys face. 

Reported

10 hours ago, Herb said:

@Opiegiving that a smiley is pretty good shtick, gotta admit.

That's the only shtick you noticed?  No other shtick by anyone else?  Really?

But It's the emoji that sent you over the top?

Edited by BladeRunner