What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disrespecting Donald Trump vs disrespecting the office of the Presidency (1 Viewer)

More of a statement that a crowd of people at a baseball game booing isn’t very comparable to a Congressman heckling the President during an address. So I wouldn’t  expect any response by democrats criticizing people for booing.
Republicans denounced it.  Including congressmen.   :rolleyes:   Just as long as we all agree both the left and the right have lost all sense of decorum---everyone is just rude nowadays.  Both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would aay its more about his actions than just disagreeing with him.
Trust me, I think he has done plenty to be impeached.  I also believe he has probably committed crimes.  I just don't want to fall into calling for people to be locked up until they have been found guilty in a court of law.

Yeah there is now way this board will agree it would be called racism by the leftist media. I am not expecting any of you to agree, but yeah, it would have been.  Without a doubt
You probably could have found some fringe editorials to say it was racist, but I don’t think this would be widespread

Completely disagree - if you think he's that bad why would you want to be like him?
It human nature.  If you lead, they will follow.

I am curious - what is wrong with saying "Lock him up" - assuming you think he has committed criminal acts?  Of all the things that might be offensive, that seems like it should not even be on the list.

Ok...great.  But, IMO that has nothing to do with fans booing nor should there be any similar reaction because it wasn't a similar situation.
No Sho, it wasn't a similar situation.  I still really don't understand your point, at all.  

It wasn't 9/11 either..what are you getting at?  If you feel democrat congresspeople, leaders of their party, should not stand up and say booing the leader of the free world is not something they would condone, then just say so man.    

I understand that, and I struggle with this kind of stuff when it comes to him.  I just continue to hold out hope that we have a future beyond this vitriolic landscape we are in, and if we do, it's going to take some measure of not being willing to go as low as he does.  Where that line is differs for everyone, I don't have a clear grasp on it yet myself, but I feel the "Lock him/her up" is in the range where mine starts.
I think Trump is the common denominator here.  I don't mean that in an inflammatory sense.  I think he encourages that behavior, and then invites it upon himself when the sands shift.

When Trump is no longer a political factor - whenever that might be - I think we will go back to a more civil discourse where we disagree mostly on policies.  I don't see anyone out there that would hold his kind of sway with as much divisive rhetoric. 

It’s not the way I was raised. So I doubt I’d do it even for someone I heartedly disagree with. But it’s the new normal now so it’s not surprising and we should expect it in the future for all Presidents by their opponents. 

He surrounds himself with sycophants and yes-men. This is an opportunity for his constituents to resoundingly voice their dissatisfaction in a venue where he can’t hide. 
If he surrounds himself with sycophants and yes-men why do so many of them leave their positions?

No Sho, it wasn't a similar situation.  I still really don't understand your point, at all.  

It wasn't 9/11 either..what are you getting at?  If you feel democrat congresspeople, leaders of their party, should not stand up and say booing the leader of the free world is not something they would condone, then just say so man.    
My point is...with a completely different situation why would there be an expected response or disavowing from Democrats?

I think any party should stand up and say freedom of speech is one of our most prized rights and expressing that is a patriotic display.

He would probably be booed there too.
That would be interesting. 

The Astros have been pretty supportive with WH visits and such. 

And Texas is very different.

Context is important. The Nationals fan base I'm sure has a lot of government workers. With as much of the "drain the swamp" talk and the shut downs and such, I can't imagine he's very popular there. 

Doesn't surprise me at all given the current climate. 

I think Trump is the common denominator here.  I don't mean that in an inflammatory sense.  I think he encourages that behavior, and then invites it upon himself when the sands shift.

When Trump is no longer a political factor - whenever that might be - I think we will go back to a more civil discourse where we disagree mostly on policies.  I don't see anyone out there that would hold his kind of sway with as much divisive rhetoric. 
God I hope this is true, otherwise this country is not gonna be much fun anymore

Booing accomplishes that just fine, IMO.
Maybe - but also, maybe, Trump understands the impact of the "lock him/her up" a little more, and discourages his base from going down that path.

I do think there are times where Trump is treated unfairly.  This is not one of those times.

Context is important. The Nationals fan base I'm sure has a lot of government workers. With as much of the "drain the swamp" talk and the shut downs and such, I can't imagine he's very popular there. 

Definitely would be interesting.  Had a friend express the same thing that he is now cheering for the astros.  I quickly pointed out he is a Dodgers fan and asked how he thought he would be received in LA.

I’m not expecting this.
IMO there’s no going back. Each side hates the other now. I personally wouldn’t and while I don’t agree with Obama’s policies I’d be happy to meet him, shake his hand, etc. But a large percentage of the populace isn’t that way now. The other side is evil or worthy of their disdain. You may not see it in everyday life if you’re anti-Trump because you feel it’s Trump specific. I already hear the rumblings from the other side of “wait until”. I have a feeling it’s going to be a perpetual tennis match of justification based on what the “other side” did to “their” President 

My point is...with a completely different situation why would there be an expected response or disavowing from Democrats?

I think any party should stand up and say freedom of speech is one of our most prized rights and expressing that is a patriotic display.
No one said they aren' allowed to boo.  You're stretching things young man.  I just said it would be nice to see a democrat congressperson say that wasn't cool.  

They could even make you happy

"I support an American's right to free speech and booing the President is an exercise of that right, however I think it was in poor taste and not how we should present ourselves to others or the world."

See?  Easy

Maybe - but also, maybe, Trump understands the impact of the "lock him/her up" a little more, and discourages his base from going down that path.

I do think there are times where Trump is treated unfairly.  This is not one of those times.
Two things:

1. I don't think that will discourage him from anything - if he does anything he will use it to further drive a wedge between the sides

2. I'm not even saying it's unfair, I just don't like it.  Boo him if that's how you feel but to chant lock him up doesn't sit well with me.  Mene said it better than me - there's due process before you lock someone up.

If you're a Trump supporter, I don't know anything to do other than just disengaging from a thread like this. It'll be 99% people in favor of the booing, laughing and or taking shots. 
I am less a Trump supporter and more of a denouncer of hypocrisy.

But point taken, I shall stand to the side and watch the bashing

IMO there’s no going back. Each side hates the other now. I personally wouldn’t and while I don’t agree with Obama’s policies I’d be happy to meet him, shake his hand, etc. But a large percentage of the populace isn’t that way now. The other side is evil or worthy of their disdain. You may not see it in everyday life if you’re anti-Trump because you feel it’s Trump specific. I already hear the rumblings from the other side of “wait until”. I have a feeling it’s going to be a perpetual tennis match of justification based on what the “other side” did to “their” President 
I disagree. Restore decency in the office and America will respond.

No one said they aren' allowed to boo.  You're stretching things young man.  I just said it would be nice to see a democrat congressperson say that wasn't cool.  

They could even make you happy

"I support an American's right to free speech and booing the President is an exercise of that right, however I think it was in poor taste and not how we should present ourselves to others or the world."

See?  Easy
Sure. Easy. But unnecessary and I disagree its needed or comparable to what was being discussed.

But we won’t  agree here so moving on.

If you're a Trump supporter, I don't know anything to do other than just disengaging from a thread like this. It'll be 99% people in favor of the booing, laughing and or taking shots. :shrug:  
I get it.

But, if I were a Trump supporter, I might try this:

"Look, I get that people are frustrated right now.  I think Trump is probably frustrated too.  There is a lot on his agenda that he still wants to get done, but congress is deadlocked, and nothing is making it to his desk.  I thought Trump handled it with class, and I am proud to stand up a cheer for him."

If you're a Trump supporter, I don't know anything to do other than just disengaging from a thread like this. It'll be 99% people in favor of the booing, laughing and or taking shots. :shrug:  
If I thought those were the numbers I wouldn't have started the thread. And that hasn't been my impression either. I wanted reasonable discussion, and I think that for the most part we've gotten it.

Didn't Obama and G.W. Bush get booed during similar events?

I would have just stayed silent.  I don't support booing at sporting events and would have done that same for this.

Despite the smile on his face, I think you could see that it hurt him.  It made me feel bad for him even though I dislike the man.
Yes

Someone brought this up on the news. But I'm not altogether sure. How much are World Series tickets these days? Can the sort of people you're talking about really afford them?

If you're a Trump supporter, I don't know anything to do other than just disengaging from a thread like this. It'll be 99% people in favor of the booing, laughing and or taking shots. 
You assume Trump supporters can’t also be in favor of the booing 

If I thought those were the numbers I wouldn't have started the thread. And that hasn't been my impression either. I wanted reasonable discussion, and I think that for the most part we've gotten it.
I think we've had plenty of good discussion.  Joe was exaggerating but we all need to prove to him that we can have these conversations civilly.

It was totally classless.  But that's ok for the left.  They are allowed.
Everyone is allowed to boo, it’s harmless. The chanting “lock him up” was a bit funny, you have to admit.

Definitely not the most respectful way to act but pretty unique situation with this president as it seems to me that he trolls and invited division more than previous office holders. 

Not really sure what reaction he would expect with his twitter and pep rally speeches where he aggressively mocks people.

Everyone is allowed to boo, it’s harmless. The chanting “lock him up” was a bit funny, you have to admit.

Definitely not the most respectful way to act but pretty unique situation with this president as it seems to me that he trolls and invited division more than previous office holders. 

Not really sure what reaction he would expect with his twitter and pep rally speeches where he aggressively mocks people.
I have been advised by authorities to not respond.  😛

I have been advised by authorities to not respond.  😛
I’d think you or anyone would be able to respond in a way that also fits within the way they want to have discussion go here.

This is one of those topics where there’s not really a right answer just people’s opinions.

Astros lost me* with how they treated the female reporter after winning the ALCS

*I am not a fan of either team, but really disappointed in the Astros handling of that situation.
True.  They look terrible for that episode. 

My team (Reds) was eliminated before Memorial Day, so no real vested interest going into the Series.  

You guys probably don't realize it - but I boo most you every day.  Its cathartic  :shrug:

I have not added "lock him up" yet, but I've been tempted.

As I mentioned, it was funny to me to read about, before it actually happened. When it actually happened, I stopped laughing.

And I agree this President IS unique. He is definitely the most uncivil major American politician in our modern history. And maybe he does deserve to reap what he sows. But where does it end? Are we really doomed to this divide for years or decades to come, in which liberals and conservatives don't just disagree with each other, but are at war with each other, see each other as evil rather than just wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread