What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Confrontation with a neighbor (1 Viewer)

E-Z Glider

Footballguy
Saturday morning, my wife and I went for a walk. There's a 3-mile loop that we've walked ever since we moved into our house 19 years ago. We've probably done it a thousand times. The majority of the walk is on a back, country road that winds along a stream and passes by a couple farm houses and fields. There are about 5-10 other people who also walk this loop regularly and there are about 4-5 people we know along the route, so it's not uncommon to chat with some people along the way. About 2-3 years ago, someone bought one of the old abandoned farm houses, knocked it over, and put up a pre-fab construction house. I know nothing about these people, but I can tell from the signs/flags in their yard that they are VERY patriotic and they VERY much support our president.

Anyway, fast-forward to Saturday. We're walking down a stretch of road where there's a black walnut tree and a speed limit sign. We have a little game that we have been playing here every fall for about the past 5 years or so. We stop at the tree, each pick up a few black walnuts, and see who can hit the sign first. I, of course, always win. At this time of the year, the walnuts are staring to turn black, soft, and rotten. On this particular walk, it probably took us each a good 15-20 throws before I finally hit it. Once I hit it, we continued walking.

About 300 yards down the road (and barely visible) is this guy's house. As we're approaching I see him start waddling towards the road (he's a big pot-bellied fella). We have the following exchange:

Neighbor (with a smart-### tone): Hey there, let me ask you a question....

Me (smiling happily): Sure, what's up? (I assumed at this point he was going to either say something interesting or attempt to be funny)

Neighbor: Do you have a problem with signs on this road? 

Me (still smiling and confused): Signs? No, I dont care what signs you have in your yard. (I assumed maybe someone complained about his signs?)

Neighbor (with a suddenly angry, confrontational tone): Well, we've been having a lot of trouble with vandalism of signs around here.

Me (now completely confused): Oh, uhhhh, yeah?

Neighbor (now getting angry and raising his voice): "UHHHHH YEAH" (mocking me), AND I JUST WATCHED YOU THROWING ROCKS AT THE ROAD SIGN UP THERE FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES..... NOW LET ME ASK YOU AGAIN.... DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SIGNS ON THIS ROAD?1!?!?

Me (shaking my head and sort of laughing as I realized what was going on): Oh those were just walnuts.... we were just playing a game.... trust me, we're not vandals (laughing).

My wife (trying to intervene): Oh my gosh, no, it's just a little game we play, we like to challenge.... (never got to finish because he cut her off)

Neighbor: ALL I KNOW IS WE HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH VANDALS AND I JUST SAT HERE AND WATCHED YOU THROWING ROCKS AT THAT SIGN FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES!!!!!

------ Just to interject, my wife an I are your average looking, middle-class, 50-year old mom/dad. I am a bald guy with a dad-bod in running pants, my wife just had wrist surgery and has a big cast/brace on her arm. I can understand how it may have looked bad from a distance, but at this point, its pretty clear we are not who he thought we were.------

Me (finally starting to get a little annoyed at the accusations): Look, I hear what you're saying, but trust me, you're barking up the wrong tree here (this apparently set him off).

Neighbor (now screaming and waddling towards me like he wants to throw-down): LISTEN HERE, DONT YOU GET PISSY WITH ME BOY. I JUST WATCHED YOU THROWING..... 

Me (raising my hand in the air and cutting him off with big smile on my face): Have a great day, sir. Let's go honey.

Neighbor: YEAH, LETS GO HONEY!!! .... YOU GET OUT OF HERE!!! DONT YOU PULL THAT #### ON ME!!!!! 

Me (with hand still in air and big smile): Have a great day, sir.

We immediately walked off and I could still hear him screaming several minutes later. It was all pretty disturbing and my wife genuinely felt bad about it all weekend. She said she's never been yelled at by a stranger before. I really would have loved to roll his fat ### down the hill, but that wouldn't have accomplished anything either. Not sure if this will be the end of it, but I'm sure I'll see him again soon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FTR - as a former Public Works employee - I would appreciate you not throwing #### at those signs....

Its all fun and games until I'd have to replace it.....

FTR - as a former Public Works employee - I would appreciate you not throwing #### at those signs....

I see your kind all the time pal. I highly doubt you'd have any issues if he was throwing white walnuts. 

I could drill this sign from point-blank range 100 times with a mushy walnut and it would not dent/mark the sign in any way.

Walk quickly by his place next time and keep your head on a swivel. He’s the type to want to get a gun involved next time. 

Still trying to figure out what his political leanings have to do with the story.
He doesnt like black walnuts  .... please keep up

"However, the crushed black walnut shells can stain fingers, clothing, and concrete"

You may want to start walking the road less traveled.  Such as the one not involving random shot gun pellets aimed in your direction.

You shouldn't be throwing anything at a street sign. I know you viewed it as a harmless game you play but I could see it being treated as vandalism. Hey, when we were kids and threw tomatoes at the school it didn't damage any of the building but yeah, now that I'm in my 50's I realize some poor janitor had to clean up that mess I (and others) created.

You actually handled it well compared to me because I would have most likely told him to F... off because I lose my cool quickly and even he was a shooting type I would be dead. 

Sir, given your general physical condition, you may wanna calm down before you have a heart atta.... Rocks you say? What you gonna do about it Fat Guy? Impeach Trump!

E-Z Glider said:
I could drill this sign from point-blank range 100 times with a mushy walnut and it would not dent/mark the sign in any way.
I'm on your side, start to finish... but that said, walnuts are pretty substantial... I'd liken them to chuckin' golf balls at something.

The worst part is... it's not like you could deny you were throwing them... your hand will be all stained green.

what kind of signs are these?  political campaign signs?  Street signs?

I fee like there's something missing here...maybe just his sanity.

I like to think of the sign as Joe Biden.  Those throws were absolutely prefect. They were beautiful, warm, nice throws.

"Hi neighbor, my name is ez glider (extends hand). As your neighbor, I agree it sucks somebody's been messing with your signs- but I can assure you it hasn't been us. We've played our walnut..not rocks...game with that road sign for almost 20 years so it obviously has nothing to do with you. Now, please lower your voice or we'll be moving on. No? Good day l, sir"

Which is pretty damn close to what you did. Like the others, I probably would've gotten dragged into his angry exchange and done/said something I'd probably have regretted.

Users who are viewing this thread