What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden Denied Holy Communion. (1 Viewer)

Opie

Footballguy
I'm not very religious or anything but damn....DENIED!!

That must have been embarrassing for him.

So, what happens?  Does the priest tell you to get lost?  Does he hover the waver over your open mouth then take it away?

Anyone seen this happen?

DENIED!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was at communion last year (Lutheran Church). They were doing the wafers and communal cup where you dip the wafer in the cup.

Handed the wafer, the body of Christ be with you.

The cup comes around, wafer in hand I attempt to dip it in deeply to soak up the wine because dry wafers suck.

Holding it by the edge I dip it in and out of my pinched fingers and into the cup it goes. There was an akward moment I didn't know what to do. I started to try fish it out and the young girl serving the cup said don't. Then she said the blood of Christ be with you anyways. 

Went back to the pew embarrassed and told my wife I think I've just been banned from communion.

Ahh yes, I too remember the first time I received communion when I was a young lad. I took the wafer in my mouth, and before I could finish it I stepped up for the wine (which I had absolutely no clue was wine), and upon my reaction to the taste, proceeded to cough up both wine and wafer. Was one of the more embarrassing moments of my childhood.

Ahh yes, I too remember the first time I received communion when I was a young lad. I took the wafer in my mouth, and before I could finish it I stepped up for the wine (which I had absolutely no clue was wine), and upon my reaction to the taste, proceeded to cough up both wine and wafer. Was one of the more embarrassing moments of my childhood.
Communion wine is mostly plonk anyway. For the full experience some priests use water instead, apparently turning water to blood, even if a specific persons blood, is a mundane task that even parish priests can do. I sometimes wonder why they don't work in blood banks more often

Communion wine is mostly plonk anyway. For the full experience some priests use water instead, apparently turning water to blood, even if a specific persons blood, is a mundane task that even parish priests can do. I sometimes wonder why they don't work in blood banks more often
 I was an alter boy as a kid and had to handle the wine.  Cheap red table wine.  It’s not winning any awards and we often forgot to put it back in the fridge on Sundays.  

Life long Catholic here and I think what the priest did was very wrong.   Assuming Biden was in good standing a priest should not deny communion to a member of the church.  Biden's political views are between he and God.   

It is especially disappointing considering the Catholic church's recent history on protecting child molesters. 

Still not their call to make. That's between that person and God.
You and I with agree there...the Catholic Church not so much.

The Catholic Church sets out specific guidelines regarding how we should prepare ourselves to receive the Lord’s body and blood in Communion. First, you must be in a state of grace. “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup” (1 Cor. 11:27–28). This is an absolute requirement that can never be dispensed. To receive the Eucharist without sanctifying grace in your soul profanes the Eucharist in the most grievous manner.

A mortal sin is any sin whose matter is grave and which has been committed willfully and with knowledge of its seriousness. Grave matter includes, but is not limited to, murder, receiving or participating in an abortion, homosexual acts, having sexual intercourse outside of marriage or in an invalid marriage, and deliberately engaging in impure thoughts (Matt. 5:28–29). Scripture contains lists of mortal sins (for example, 1 Cor. 6:9–10 and Gal. 5:19–21). For further information on what constitutes a mortal sin, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

The Church’s ancient teaching on this particular matter is expressed in the Didache, an early Christian document written around A.D. 70, which states: “Whosoever is holy [i.e., in a state of sanctifying grace], let him approach. Whosoever is not, let him repent” (Didache 10).

Second, you must have been to confession since your last mortal sin. The Didache witnesses to this practice of the early Church. “But first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one” (Didache 14).

The 1983 Code of Canon Law indicates that the same requirement applies today. “A person who is conscious of a grave sin is not to . . . receive the body of the Lord without prior sacramental confession unless a grave reason is present and there is no opportunity of confessing; in this case the person is to be mindful of the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition, including the intention of confessing as soon as possible” (CIC 916).

The requirement for sacramental confession can be dispensed if four conditions are fulfilled: (1) there must be a grave reason to receive Communion (for example, danger of death), (2) it must be physically or morally impossible to go to confession first, (3) the person must already be in a state of grace through perfect contrition, and (4) he must resolve to go to confession as soon as possible.

Third, you must believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation. “For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself” (1 Cor. 11:29). Transubstantiation means more than the Real Presence. According to transubstantiation, the bread and wine are actually transformed into the actual body, blood, soul, and divinity of Christ, and only the appearances of bread and wine remain. This is why, at the Last Supper, Jesus held what appeared to be bread and wine, yet said: “This is my body. . . . This is my blood” (Mark 14:22-24, cf. Luke 22:14-20).

Fourth, you must observe the Eucharistic fast. Canon law states, “One who is to receive the most Holy Eucharist is to abstain from any food or drink, with the exception only of water and medicine, for at least the period of one hour before Holy Communion” (CIC 919 §1). Elderly people, those who are ill, and their caretakers are excused from the Eucharistic fast (CIC 191 §3). Priests and deacons may not dispense one obligated by the Eucharistic fast unless the bishop has expressly granted such power to them (cf. CIC 89).

Finally, one must not be under an ecclesiastical censure. Canon law mandates, “Those who are excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to Holy Communion” (CIC 915).

Provided they are in a state of grace and have met the above requirements, Catholics should receive the Eucharist frequently (CIC 898).
https://www.catholic.com/tract/who-can-receive-communion?gclid=CjwKCAjwxt_tBRAXEiwAENY8hYDBBJVcUzlkcduvmaG4V5nxBbANmRVbDJp3sVB7JXRD04San1WEGRoCkvAQAvD_BwE

Life long Catholic here and I think what the priest did was very wrong.   Assuming Biden was in good standing a priest should not deny communion to a member of the church.  Biden's political views are between he and God.   

It is especially disappointing considering the Catholic church's recent history on protecting child molesters. 
This I would agree with as well...I posted the "rules" above.  Biden's support politically of abortion would not be considered a mortal sin (the priest seems to be taking a broad view of participating in an abortion).  

These days they do a "trial run" letting kids taste each so that they are prepared on the day of their first communion.

Not sure we should really care what the Catholic Church thinks.  Especially some local guys who seems to want to make a name for himself.

Honestly, if I'm given the choice to go with what God says, compared to what people say, I'm going to side with the Almighty every time. We should examine ourselves before Communion, but the option should always be ours to make.
Again...I agree with you here.  

Pretty much anyone can anonymously walk into a Catholic mass and receive communion.  It’s not like they have a database or anything.
But God does. And since that’s a mortal sin that person is going to Hell. 

Im not kidding. That’s the dogma on taking the Eucharist with a mortal sin on your soul. 

Honestly, if I'm given the choice to go with what God says, compared to what people say, I'm going to side with the Almighty every time. We should examine ourselves before Communion, but the option should always be ours to make.
The Catholic Church believes it is following what god says when implementing this dogma. 

Not a fan of Biden for President, but he has decades of public service as someone who truly connected to the voters and seems to truly care about them as well (didn’t he always ride the Amtrak to DC?). He has never been one to stoop to name calling, bullying, insulting others... if anything, he seems to respect and be respected by most if not almost all in the Hill.

That some would take glee in, and even Celebrate, that he was denied communion? It’s a damning statement on who and what we’ve become as a nation. 

Divided, we fall.

the wafers we used to get were awful.  tasted like styrofoam
still do...one Sunday morning while riding home from mass, Mom was none too happy when I was picking my teeth proclaiming I had a bit of Jesus stuck in there.

How many women has that priest given communion to who have had an abortion in their lives?  I can think of one in my town right off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more at my Catholic church.

I'm not very religious or anything but damn....DENIED!!

That must have been embarrassing for him.

So, what happens?  Does the priest tell you to get lost?  Does he hover the waver over your open mouth then take it away?

Anyone seen this happen?

DENIED!
Usually you’re told before the communion that you may not approach. If the priest is overly dramatic he may simply instead say when you approach that you may not take communion. 

I consider it more of an embarrassment for the church than the person denied, generally. 

Yes, I’ve seen people denied communion. For being gay.  Which I have about as much respect for as this move. 

But God does. And since that’s a mortal sin that person is going to Hell. 

Im not kidding. That’s the dogma on taking the Eucharist with a mortal sin on your soul. 
No sin is worse than another, at least in God's eyes. They're all bad and in need of forgiveness. Glad He's in the forgiving business, though.

Usually you’re told before the communion that you may not approach. If the priest is overly dramatic he may simply instead say when you approach that you may not take communion. 

I consider it more of an embarrassment for the church than the person denied, generally. 

Yes, I’ve seen people denied communion. For being gay.  Which I have about as much respect for as this move. 
Religion's gonna religion, but I have a far greater issue with denial due to someone's sexual orientation and who they are, than their stance/a choice where some truly believe it's killing a living being on par with someone already born.  I don't agree with the latter, but I UNDERSTAND it (we need to draw the line somewhere... moment of conception seems way too soon, after birth seems way too late... but there's debate in between. I don't agree, but I get it).

To do so based on who and what someone is "as God made them" is disgusting in its lack of humanity, and there's no other way I can look at it.

No sin is worse than another, at least in God's eyes. They're all bad and in need of forgiveness. Glad He's in the forgiving business, though.
There's a significant number of people who interpret scripture to say differently. 

How many women has that priest given communion to who have had an abortion in their lives?  I can think of one in my town right off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more at my Catholic church.
Those women can take the Eucharist if they confessed the abortion through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. :shrug:  

Those women can take the Eucharist if they confessed the abortion through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. :shrug:  
That is true.  Is that priest going to allow them to receive the Eucharist after they confess though?

But my point (pretty much anyone can anonymously walk into a Catholic mass and receive communion.  It’s not like they have a database or anything) still stands.  
Joe Biden and his public policy are very well known. And it's a reasonable interpretation of Catholic dogma* for a priest to characterize his promotion and advancement of the policy as a mortal sin. As such, the priest is, again, arguably merely applying dogma by refusing the Eucharist to somebody with a mortal sin on his soul that the priest recognizes in the moment as having such. I suppose, ideally, the priest could have asked Biden if he confessed but, dogmatically-speaking, the priest didn't do something contrary. 

*Please by no means interpret anything I'm saying here in defense of the priest as defense of Catholic dogma. There is a significant amount of Catholic dogma that is nonsensical, overbearing, and impossible to comply with. If anything I hope this incident makes more people recognize that these or their religious rules are silly. But, nonetheless, this priest arguably shouldn't be criticized for applying the "law."   

Joe Biden and his public policy are very well known. And it's a reasonable interpretation of Catholic dogma* for a priest to characterize his promotion and advancement of the policy as a mortal sin. As such, the priest is, again, arguably merely applying dogma by refusing the Eucharist to somebody with a mortal sin on his soul that the priest recognizes in the moment as having such. I suppose, ideally, the priest could have asked Biden if he confessed but, dogmatically-speaking, the priest didn't do something contrary. 

*Please by no means interpret anything I'm saying here in defense of the priest as defense of Catholic dogma. There is a significant amount of Catholic dogma that is nonsensical, overbearing, and impossible to comply with. If anything I hope this incident makes more people recognize that these or their religious rules are silly. But, nonetheless, this priest arguably shouldn't be criticized for applying the "law."   
Pretty much anyone can anonymously walk into a Catholic mass and receive communion.  It’s not like they have a database or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread