What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Trade Deadline Day! (Rumors & Rumblings) (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
Let's hope this is like the NBA or NHL.  With more younger minds in NFL front offices, we are seeing more and more trades then ever before.  Did they all happen last week and yesterday?

Post rumors and rumblings you hear here!

A sizeable contingent of Saints fans are prepared to jump off a pier if the team doesn't trade for a WR to complement Michael Thomas.

We have a pile of life preservers on standby.

Should be fun watching the Redskins not get anything for Trent Williams.  Management is just dumb enough to not make a deal now and lose all leverage.  We'll end up trading him for a 3rd round pick and a few used seat cushions in the off-season when they finally realize he really really has no interest in coming back.

League office officially closes at 4:00 Eastern, but they have no real interest in updating us real time so things could happen we don't hear about right away.  The leaks are a lot more informative than any official deadline or announcement.
It's like every sport still uses a fax machine to send in the trades and we don't find out till 5:30-6:30pm EST.

Robby Anderson would be a great fit.
The Saints already spent some of next year's draft capital on Eli Apple. The team would be loath to part with the 1st rounder for anyone (though I know Anderson wouldn't fetch that). Saints' 2 and 7 are already dealt ... leaving picks in rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 to deal. I guess we'll see, though I'm not expecting even as big a splash as Anderson.

The Saints already spent some of next year's draft capital on Eli Apple. The team would be loath to part with the 1st rounder for anyone (though I know Anderson wouldn't fetch that). Saints' 2 and 7 are already dealt ... leaving picks in rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 to deal. I guess we'll see, though I'm not expecting even as big a splash as Anderson.
After seeing the Leonard Williams return, I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson is a three. They need to have intel if he's going to sign again with them or not.

Should be fun watching the Redskins not get anything for Trent Williams.  Management is just dumb enough to not make a deal now and lose all leverage.  We'll end up trading him for a 3rd round pick and a few used seat cushions in the off-season when they finally realize he really really has no interest in coming back.
I laugh at the team who shall not be named a lot, but asking for a 1st for Williams is absolutely the right thing to do.  That's not a high price for an elite LT who is on a very team friendly deal next year.

It's very quiet right now - I wonder if we'll see a bunch of last minute action this afternoon as teams decide to take the best offer on the table?

I wonder how many dominos there are, like we're going to offer for Robby Anderson as soon as we know we can't get AJG for what we want, etc.

It's very quiet right now - I wonder if we'll see a bunch of last minute action this afternoon as teams decide to take the best offer on the table?

I wonder how many dominos there are, like we're going to offer for Robby Anderson as soon as we know we can't get AJG for what we want, etc.
This is wishful thinking, I'm afraid we already seen most of the trades last week and yesterday.  I hope I'm wrong.  I want this to be a fun day on the NFL calendar.

I'll take rumors at this point.

The Ravens extended Willie Snead morning. They had less than $2m in cap room beforehand. No word on if they freed any more up with this deal, but they could have something brewing.

a potential gordon trade could really change leagues... ekeler would return to an elite RB1. i still think gordon will get paid decently this off-season, so a team would have to 1)be willing to part with at least a 3 (to match what the comp pick would be) and 2) be willing to sign gordon long term as you dont give up a 3 for a rental. 

if someone was serious about acquiring gordon you think their interest would have come out earlier this season... the only rumor of note back then was to the eagles. 

a potential gordon trade could really change leagues... ekeler would return to an elite RB1. i still think gordon will get paid decently this off-season, so a team would have to 1)be willing to part with at least a 3 (to match what the comp pick would be) and 2) be willing to sign gordon long term as you dont give up a 3 for a rental. 

if someone was serious about acquiring gordon you think their interest would have come out earlier this season... the only rumor of note back then was to the eagles. 
I can never quite figure out the compensatory pick system.  Do the Chargers automatically get a 3rd round pick if Gordon leaves as a UFA?  Or do they only get a pick if they don't add a comparable free agent?  My understanding is that it's a +/- system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just Manish Meta stirring the pot like always.
I think it's legit, whether or not they make a deal or not I think it's one of the most make sense trades you can get. In fact been checking on this for past few days expecting them to shop him.

Most people will say, "well if someone wanted him they could have signed him". Sure, but a few things have changed since then. Despite his bad stats he looks good, if teams had reservations about his commitment or shape those should be erased. The big thing from other teams angle is that the Jets swallowed a chunk of money, he's not cheap, but basically you get him for about $12-13M a year but key is it's almost a year to year deal for any team that might acquire him at this point. Can get out of the deal after 2020 season.

Reason it just makes sense is that other then trying to give Darnold some kind of hope he just does the Jets no good.  Unless they magically fixed the OL next year, and if we said at best they fix it in 2021, he'll be 29.

I don't think they'd get much for him, a day three pick if he is traded, but I do believe they are trying, I don't think that is a made up report.

I think it's legit, whether or not they make a deal or not I think it's one of the most make sense trades you can get. In fact been checking on this for past few days expecting them to shop him.

Most people will say, "well if someone wanted him they could have signed him". Sure, but a few things have changed since then. Despite his bad stats he looks good, if teams had reservations about his commitment or shape those should be erased. The big thing from other teams angle is that the Jets swallowed a chunk of money, he's not cheap, but basically you get him for about $12-13M a year but key is it's almost a year to year deal for any team that might acquire him at this point. Can get out of the deal after 2020 season.

Reason it just makes sense is that other then trying to give Darnold some kind of hope he just does the Jets no good.  Unless they magically fixed the OL next year, and if we said at best they fix it in 2021, he'll be 29.

I don't think they'd get much for him, a day three pick if he is traded, but I do believe they are trying, I don't think that is a made up report.
Yep, it will be hard to get a return other than the contract being off the books, but that would be a very good thing for the Jets IMO.

Welcome back BTW.  Missed you.

I'd be 100% surprised if Melvin Gordon were traded. I mean, if if didn't happen weeks ago, why now? His value is much lower now than it was then, when he would have played more games, and was coming off a pro bowl year, and not looking like a JAG. What would a team offer for a half season of Gordon? A 4th rounder?

I heard Keenan Allen's name pop up on Chargers twitter. That would also be a pretty big surprise, unless they got a lot, like a 1st rounder plus. 

Personally, I know this is completely unlikely, but I'd love the Bears to try and get Cam Newton from Carolina. I mean, I'd probably prefer just about anybody(including Chase Daniel) over Trubisky, but the rest of the team is in their window right now, its just QB is a mess. I'd also happily settle for Foles, but believe it or not, he's actually harder to fit under the cap. Hell, even Mariota would likely be better.

If Bell is truly available, he should jump to the top of the RB list pretty easily. He's looked every bit the player he was on the Steelers to me, just with zero holes, and other than the Dallas game, no threat of a passing game. Not sure who'd be in on him though, with his contract. Lions? Bell did go to Michigan State, not sure that matters, but it would be a homecoming of sorts. 

Yep, it will be hard to get a return other than the contract being off the books, but that would be a very good thing for the Jets IMO.
Agreed for the NYJ benefit but who would take him at his $$ ?   His performance does not warrant a high trade value, but some is NYJ OL issues. 

Rumors are KC, Houston, Buff & Philly are interested... I cannot see Buff or Philly buying that contract or making that commitment ....  but KC or Houston could and dump him after 2020 (as mentioned somewhere... sorry).  

So, are we looking at Bell being offered just from a "oops we screwed up" move or what do they expect to get in return?  a 3rd or 4th round pick?  Affordable but still contract issues. 

Maybe, just see them not being able to trade a 27 year old RB with a $13.5 cap hit for a few more years.  If the Jets trade him for mid round picks or multiple mid round picks, yikes.  Adam Gase man.

If I read the contract right, the Jets will take a 15.5M cap hit next year if they move Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connor Hughes

@Connor_J_Hughes

·

3m

From my understanding, talking to sources, #Jets aren’t shopping LeVeon Bell as much as teams are calling them. They heard fire sale, and phoned Douglas to see price. Is there a price? Yes. It’s high. #Chiefs & #Texans most interested. Chiefs have more to possibly get it done

Don’t see how the Jets get anything for him. They were bidding against themselves when they signed him to that contract in the first place. 
Yes, but (I think) they take the cap hit for some/all of the bonus(es) in the contract.  Their trade partner would, in theory, get a cheaper version of Bell.

If I read the contract right, the Jets will take a 15.5M cap hit next year if they move Bell.
No not that bad because his contract is guaranteed next year and not a bonus.

Per Overthecap.com they'd have dead money of 6, 4 and 2 million in 2020-2022.  That's the bad part, $12M of dead money spread out over 3 years. But they'd realize cap savings of $9.5, $9.5 and $13.

If a team acquired him they would be on the hook for $13M guaranteed salary/roster bonus for 2020. I'm not entirely sure but I think they would be done with any guarantees after that.

I can never quite figure out the compensatory pick system.  Do the Chargers automatically get a 3rd round pick if Gordon leaves as a UFA?  Or do they only get a pick if they don't add a comparable free agent?  My understanding is that it's a +/- system.
It's a +/- deal, but keep in mind that the (likely) pick would be at the end of the third round, and in the 2021 draft.  So if someone offered a 2020 3rd it would be a year sooner, and definitely an earlier pick. 

No not that bad because his contract is guaranteed next year and not a bonus.

Per Overthecap.com they'd have dead money of 6, 4 and 2 million in 2020-2022.  That's the bad part, $12M of dead money spread out over 3 years. But they'd realize cap savings of $9.5, $9.5 and $13.

If a team acquired him they would be on the hook for $13M guaranteed salary/roster bonus for 2020. I'm not entirely sure but I think they would be done with any guarantees after that.
It's not all that bad, but taking on the money is just one part of this.  Is a team really willing to take on the money and give whatever the Jets are asking in return? 

Users who are viewing this thread