What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Williams...now I've heard everything (1 Viewer)

J.P. Findlay, the Comcast Sports beat reporter for the Redskins had stated that even though Trent had reported, he told the Redskins he had no intention of playing for them.  

The Redskins have truly become an embarrassment.  

So what’s the deal? He’s with the team but won’t play..do they have to pay him anything?

Does he get credit for this yr if he refuses to play?

What does the failed physical mean for both sides?

Handled him horribly how exactly?

Because he wants out they should just grant his wish?

Im asking because I don’t know. I haven’t followed his story 
I say this with no snark or sarcasm whatsoever, but it’s way too much for me to type here. If you Google it, there’s quite a lot of information out there.

In brief, Apparently he doesn’t trust the team doctors or training staff. There was a series of errors with handling an injury & he believed there was malpractice. 

When something like that happens it’s very difficult to repair the relationship.

So what’s the deal? He’s with the team but won’t play..do they have to pay him anything?

Does he get credit for this yr if he refuses to play?

What does the failed physical mean for both sides?
Very interested in this.  If they have to pay him for being there (some injury settlement or something), why didn't he return sooner and get those checks too?

Hot Sauce Guy said:
weird that the clippers owner was stripped of a team for offensive behavior but WAS Is basically named a racist slur & it’s crickets? Must be nice to be a monopoly run by a handful of billionaires who have zero F’s to give. 

Is it? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-survey-explores-how-native-americans-feel-about-the-name-washington-redskins-no-its-not-that-survey-this-one-is-new/2019/08/09/e38553bc-b581-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

In sum for those who react with TLDR

"The majority of Native Americans still aren’t offended by the name of the Washington Redskins."

🤷‍♂️

He's upset at how they handled his injury situation (some growth on his head).  I don't know all the details, don't know who does, but he very well may have a legit point here.  They didn't at all care about him in what could have been a very serious health situation, perhaps even life threatening. 

Yes, it is. And I don’t believe that for a second. I’ve seen far too many NA protests. I’ve see Dan Snyder bribe poor tribes with schools & sports complexes. 

perhaps he’s purchased a bit of good will, but I know quite a few NA’s and every one of them is offended by the term “Redskin”.

He's upset at how they handled his injury situation (some growth on his head).  I don't know all the details, don't know who does, but he very well may have a legit point here.  They didn't at all care about him in what could have been a very serious health situation, perhaps even life threatening. 
In addition, I believe he's gone on record as saying he will never play for the team again.  As long as he's on the roster I'm guessing we'll see something similar to what Jalen Ramsey did.  There will be a new "health" or "personal issue" every week that will keep him on the injury report and inactive every week.

That was my reaction, too. I'm not one to defend the Redskins organization. They've been horribly mismanaged for decades and I think Snyder is an absolute disaster as an owner. I feel most criticisms of the organization are probably warranted. That said, I'm also not a fan of players who are under contract just refusing to play, or expecting that management will bend to their demands. Regardless, this looks like one more mess in a long series of them. 

Failed physical players don't get paid, right? And the dude had surgery on his scalp so clearly this all legit, Williams isn't really benefiting financially from failing his physical, is he? Asking because I'm honestly curious.

Failed physical players don't get paid, right? And the dude had surgery on his scalp so clearly this all legit, Williams isn't really benefiting financially from failing his physical, is he? Asking because I'm honestly curious.
Bill Callahan was quoted as saying that Trent "did not pass his physical".  I've seen a report of other team sources that say he actually passed the physical, and then didn't practice because of the discomfort he had putting on/wearing a helmet.

Yes, it is. And I don’t believe that for a second. I’ve seen far too many NA protests. I’ve see Dan Snyder bribe poor tribes with schools & sports complexes. 

perhaps he’s purchased a bit of good will, but I know quite a few NA’s and every one of them is offended by the term “Redskin”.
I don't buy it either. Married to an Eastern Band Cherokee and she despises it, most of her family doesn't care for it either and honestly never came across an enrolled member that is impartial but I never pushed the subject. There is a big fair in Charleston, SC every year and the sons of the confederacy have a stand where they hand out confederate flags. An old black man is dressed up in confederate garb and walks around with a large flag, been doing it for years...it's clearly done to garner attention but I liken that guy to natives that say it's okay. The Seminoles gave FSU permission, NA as a whole have not given Snyder anything like that. 

I don't buy it either. Married to an Eastern Band Cherokee and she despises it, most of her family doesn't care for it either and honestly never came across an enrolled member that is impartial but I never pushed the subject. There is a big fair in Charleston, SC every year and the sons of the confederacy have a stand where they hand out confederate flags. An old black man is dressed up in confederate garb and walks around with a large flag, been doing it for years...it's clearly done to garner attention but I liken that guy to natives that say it's okay. The Seminoles gave FSU permission, NA as a whole have not given Snyder anything like that. 
Exactly. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 4 years & made many friends among the NA community. 

the term “redskin” was considered deeply offensive. They were none too fond of the tomahawk chop the Braves & Chiefs fans do, but weren’t as bothered by the team names other than the obvious cultural appropriation for non-NA purposes.

As you mentioned about the Seminoles, I believe the Chicago Blackhawks also have received controversy over the name, but I’m not sure if that was ever resolved in the same way. 

what I believe the Post survey reflects is polling among a select group who’ve profited from Snyder’s “generosity”, AKA The team owner purchasing goodwill. 

The term itself has always been a derogatory term for Indians/native peoples.

It is OK for a person to display the confederate flag. It’s free speech. 

It also a great way to let you know that person is an idiot.

That was my reaction, too. I'm not one to defend the Redskins organization. They've been horribly mismanaged for decades and I think Snyder is an absolute disaster as an owner. I feel most criticisms of the organization are probably warranted. That said, I'm also not a fan of players who are under contract just refusing to play, or expecting that management will bend to their demands. Regardless, this looks like one more mess in a long series of them. 
Scroll up. I and others gave a summary. Williams had an injury. Team doctors / trainers reportedly mishandled it. It was causing severe discomfort to Williams, and he believed they were pushing him to risk his health. That reportedly "fractured" their relationship. 

I understand that people are quick to label players as greedy, but that was not the case here. It wasn't about meeting his contract demands ala Gordon or Elliott. It was about Williams not wanting to play for a team that he felt was irresponsible with medical care. 

And I completely understand that. 

I always think about the shady/scumbag team doctor role played by James Woods in Any Given Sunday when I hear stories like this one. I'm not sure that holds true in this case as I wasn't in the locker room. But I know that Williams believes it did, and he requested a trade. 

Instead of trading him, the team has been punishing him. They could have dealt him before the deadline, but opted to continue to punish him instead. So I am in no way sympathetic to the Redskins here. It's terrible decision making that appears to be based in spite, and against their own interests since they could have received picks/compensation for him instead. Not like Tackles aren't in demand. 

omg, another update. :lol:  

I have no idea what this means - who's imposing this deadline? Two weeks to find one, or uh, what?   :sadbanana:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Washington has two weeks to find LT Trent Williams (scalp) a new helmet that won't hurt him.

Scroll up. I and others gave a summary. Williams had an injury. Team doctors / trainers reportedly mishandled it. It was causing severe discomfort to Williams, and he believed they were pushing him to risk his health. That reportedly "fractured" their relationship. 

I understand that people are quick to label players as greedy, but that was not the case here. It wasn't about meeting his contract demands ala Gordon or Elliott. It was about Williams not wanting to play for a team that he felt was irresponsible with medical care. 

And I completely understand that. 
I don't know if I would call it an "injury" so much as a medical concern that supposedly really freaked him out. From what I remember I thought the medical staff told him it was nothing. Then, later told him well it is something but it turns out it's benign it doesn't really matter. Given the context of the medical staff in WAS(both Alex Smith AND Guice had multiple surgeries and infections) I don't blame him for not trusting them. People forget that there were staff infections in the medical facilities of NFL teams in the past. These guys have short careers. If you don't trust the medical staff to keep them healthy it's shortened even more. 

I would like to give Williams the benefit of the doubt here, but if the rumors that he also wants a contract extension that kind of undercuts the medical staff concerns. The medical staff isn't any better if he gets more money. It's hard to guess exactly what his motivations are with all the spin around his agents, the team, ex-teammates in the media are putting out there. It's just pretty easy to pile on the organization when in doubt though because they have handled so many other situations so poorly. Nobody knows what WAS was offered for him. If they would have taken a 6th round draft choice then the talking heads blasting Dan Snyder now would still be blasting Dan Snyder. There were a lot of folks that couldn't believe how little PIT got for AB not that long ago. How did that turn out?

I’ve seen those links, thanks. But just because 1 person doesn’t take offense doesn’t mean that all native Americans don’t take offense.

as for the alleged 90% polling, I do not believe it. 

i have first hand accounts from more than a few native people who are deeply offended by the term. In explaining his offense to it, my former apartment neighbor said, “imagine a team named the Washington n****rs.” - that’s how he felt about the term “redskins.” 

so thanks for sharing the links, but In my opinion they are not representative. I believe they’re largely the manufactured data of a billionaire owner who’s managed to purchase enough good will with donations to get whatever segment that was polled to say, “eh, I don’t mind” right before they cash the check or send their kid to a school built by Snyder. 

Race relations & racial slurs are a complex issue - oversimplifying things by making generalizations Does a great disservice & diminishes the rightful offense that some do take. In my opinion if even 1% of native Americans are offended by the term and see it as a racial slur, that’s 1% too many. I’m not one to say, “meh, screw the feelings of that 10% of the population because allegedly 90% don’t care”. 

I also don’t typically buy into polls because data sets can be manipulated. 

Andrew Brandt has a great, 2nd hand story, about Snyder that sums Snyder up pretty well. 

Also an article that was floating around these boards, written by a Washington fan, detailing just how bad this organisation treats everyone

But just because 1 person takes offense doesn’t mean that all native Americans take offense.
fixed

I also find it hard to believe you've read the letter as it's only been reported locally and not by major media. It's actually been buried because it doesnt fit the narrative. only reported within the last 2 weeks or so

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve already posted that I haven’t followed the whole story. 

But if my employer had a medical staff for us, and I felt I wasn’t  getting quality care, I’d go to a different doctor

🤷‍♂️

I’ve seen those links, thanks. But just because 1 person doesn’t take offense doesn’t mean that all native Americans don’t take offense.

as for the alleged 90% polling, I do not believe it. 

i have first hand accounts from more than a few native people who are deeply offended by the term. In explaining his offense to it, my former apartment neighbor said, “imagine a team named the Washington n****rs.” - that’s how he felt about the term “redskins.” 

so thanks for sharing the links, but In my opinion they are not representative. I believe they’re largely the manufactured data of a billionaire owner who’s managed to purchase enough good will with donations to get whatever segment that was polled to say, “eh, I don’t mind” right before they cash the check or send their kid to a school built by Snyder. 

Race relations & racial slurs are a complex issue - oversimplifying things by making generalizations Does a great disservice & diminishes the rightful offense that some do take. In my opinion if even 1% of native Americans are offended by the term and see it as a racial slur, that’s 1% too many. I’m not one to say, “meh, screw the feelings of that 10% of the population because allegedly 90% don’t care”. 

I also don’t typically buy into polls because data sets can be manipulated. 
Not to get distracted from the thread (I personally just refer to the team as "Washington" and my buddy's wife who is Native *hates* the name), but wasn't that poll conducted by the Washington Post?  That's not some ragtag news organization, nor one that skews right.  You can disagree with the opinions expressed (I do), but I don't think that they are necessarily inaccurate in this case.

Not to get distracted from the thread (I personally just refer to the team as "Washington" and my buddy's wife who is Native *hates* the name), but wasn't that poll conducted by the Washington Post?  That's not some ragtag news organization, nor one that skews right.  You can disagree with the opinions expressed (I do), but I don't think that they are necessarily inaccurate in this case.
The Post is mixed. It’s definitely not right wing, but they’ve also been careful to not make waves on many hot button issues in the past. Would they run a poll using selective data to help a local sports franchise? Dunno. Could they do so if they have any advertising relationship or a beat writer who wants continued access to the team? They absolutely could. 

what I know is that WAS has endured protests over the name since I was a kid, and that just a few years ago my neighbors & friends who were of Native American descent were completely offended by the term that team employs as their moniker.

that’s good enough for me. If some choose to ignore or belittle their offense in the name of some ad populum argument, that’s on them. 

I’ve already posted that I haven’t followed the whole story. 

But if my employer had a medical staff for us, and I felt I wasn’t  getting quality care, I’d go to a different doctor

🤷‍♂️
Yes, being an elite professional athlete is exactly like where you work.

So what you are saying is this is fake news. I have heard that somewhere before. 😀

Can he not go to a different doctor if he’s unhappy with the team staff?

Can he not afford it or what?
He did.  Like Osemele in New York, the "different doctor" told him a very different diagnosis than the team doctor.

He feels like the team doctor endangered his health and possibly his life rather than urge him to get surgery in season for the tumor on his head.  He considers putting his health in the hands of those doctors again too risky to show up and earn his paycheck.

That's his side of the story anyway.  Doesn't sound like a "hold out for a better contract" situation.  Sounds like a "the risk isn't worth the money" situation to me.

He did.  Like Osemele in New York, the "different doctor" told him a very different diagnosis than the team doctor.

He feels like the team doctor endangered his health and possibly his life rather than urge him to get surgery in season for the tumor on his head.  He considers putting his health in the hands of those doctors again too risky to show up and earn his paycheck.

That's his side of the story anyway.  Doesn't sound like a "hold out for a better contract" situation.  Sounds like a "the risk isn't worth the money" situation to me.
Got it. Thanks 

omg, another update. :lol:  

I have no idea what this means - who's imposing this deadline? Two weeks to find one, or uh, what?   :sadbanana:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Washington has two weeks to find LT Trent Williams (scalp) a new helmet that won't hurt him.
There's an ironic meatball hanging over the plate here, if someone wants to take a swing at knocking it out of the park...

Crap, the quote didn't copy.

Fixed?

That’s how I’d understood it as well. 

Nobody knows what WAS was offered for him. If they would have taken a 6th round draft choice then the talking heads blasting Dan Snyder now would still be blasting Dan Snyder. There were a lot of folks that couldn't believe how little PIT got for AB not that long ago. How did that turn out?
It ended heavily in pitts favor?  Basically you're saying WAS should have taken anything they could get for him.  Which they didn't.  All goes back to my point of them being the worst run franchise in pro sports.

As for the racism of their name, I remember the daily show doing a bit on this when the daily show was good.  Had a bunch of community leaders come in and explain that "Redskin" was shorthand for scalping.  Chief and Brave may be cultural appropriation, but they're at least positive associations.

Says he had cancer. Says growth started 6 years ago and team diagnosis said it was minor. 
Yeah, when it’s put that way it sounds pretty bad.

if this is accurate, it is reprehensible behavior from the team, and Williams is 100% justified in not wanting to play for them again/demanding a trade.

that said, I’m not sure we know what is truly accurate. The fact that the other doctors immediately scheduled surgery to remove it does seem to favor his side of the story though.

Yeah, when it’s put that way it sounds pretty bad.

if this is accurate, it is reprehensible behavior from the team, and Williams is 100% justified in not wanting to play for them again/demanding a trade.

that said, I’m not sure we know what is truly accurate. The fact that the other doctors immediately scheduled surgery to remove it does seem to favor his side of the story though.
I think the most damning thing is the Redskin's staff told him to "rub some dirt on it"

docs make mistakes. my sister in law was told a growth was benign and found out a year later that it was cancerous when she had it removed anyways.

she doesnt play professional sports

this talk that they did it on purpose is absurd

Users who are viewing this thread