What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019-20 Hot Stove League Thread: Now including Spring Training (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
We've entered the five day quiet period before the start of free agency

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prellers start early trading OF Travis Jankowski to the Reds for international slot money.

Interesting move by the Rangers to trade for Welington Castillo's club option and international bonus pool money.  They traded a non-prospect and paid Castillo's $500K  buyout in exchange for the privilege of spending $250K more on international free agents.

Carlos Beltran is the NYM manager. 

I heard someone say he was analytical in a way that most great players aren't, and compared him to Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn. 

Pablo Sandoval's 2020 option was bought out by Boston so that contract is finally over.  With the $5M buyout, it was $95M for five years of below replacement performance.  The Giants got 1.2 rWAR for their half of the term, the Sox got -2.

Who would have thunk we would see the day a 31 year old player would opt out of 4 years 100 million dollar guaranteed contract.

The Brewers trade Chase Anderson's club option to Toronto for a non-prospect who's not Rule 5 eligible.

They also declined Eric Thames' option.

Eephus said:
I'll get used to 'em but I don't like the SwooshTM on the 2020 jerseys.
I'm with you. I feel like it's one of those things that will bother me for 6 weeks and then I'll never notice it again.

"The way everybody is looking at it is that we can turn the page on those tough times," Hosmer said. "We're trying to start a new wave now, a new culture. The brown really represents the beginning of all that."
:rolleyes:

The Philadelphia beat writer for The Athletic had an article listing the myriad of reasons for Kapler's dismissal, and one reason that stuck out was his going "rogue" when it came to the analytical reports from the front office. It seems that Kapler would take the daily scouting reports and alter them to his specifications before passing them out to the players. In particular strategies regarding defensive shifts, and instructions for that day's starting pitcher in the way to attack the opposing lineup.  

That meltdown Jake Arrieta had about the defense makes a lot more sense, now. 

Will Smith (the RP not the C) to Atlanta for 3/$39M.

He was a good Giant, glad to see him get paid.

Saw that there is trade interest in Jon Gray, could be very interesting on another team(even though his Coors numbers are actually pretty solid). 

The rules decisions about the 26 man roster, 13 pitcher maximum and in-inning reliever usage should be made this week at the owners meetings.

The Cubs have shown interest in Japanese centerfielder Shogo Akiyama. He's not a young player (thirty-two), but he bats left-handed, has averaged an OBP over .380, and grades out as an above-average defensive player. 

I would prefer the Cubs re-sign Castellanos. He was the team's best player the last six weeks of the season. Theo seems to think an outfield of Schwarber/Heyward/Castellanos cannot be sustained defensively for an entire season. 

Grandal to the White Sox 4/$73M.  The signing has near term positives both offensively and defensively but he's a 31 year catcher with 6000 innings behind the plate.  He's a risk to fall off a cliff sometime during the contract term.

Grandal to the White Sox 4/$73M.  The signing has near term positives both offensively and defensively but he's a 31 year catcher with 6000 innings behind the plate.  He's a risk to fall off a cliff sometime during the contract term.
I guess that is it for Zach Collins. The Sox drafted him at #10 just a few years ago. 

I guess that is it for Zach Collins. The Sox drafted him at #10 just a few years ago. 
Small sample size but his defense behind the plate looked pretty shaky.   If the bat doesn't play at 1B/DH, he's the latest version of Jeff Clement.

ETA:  If the Sox don't resign Abreu, Collins could be a sneaky late round 2020 fantasy pick as a catcher-eligible (10 C starts in 2019).

ETA:  Abreu accepted his qualifying offer.  My fiendish Zack Collins scheme lies in ruins.

Semi-notable DFAs:  Matt Duffy, Greg Bird, Dominic Leone, Jharel Cotton, Wei Yin Chen, Nick Martini

Chen will still be the highest paid Marlin by a huge margin.

The Mariners signed 1B Evan White to a deal worth 6/$24M plus club options.  That's a lot of money for a kid who spent 2018 in AA but not a huge commitment for the club. 

ETA:  Apples and oranges but I like it better than the White Sox spending $50M for Abreu's 33-35 seasons.

The Mariners signed 1B Evan White to a deal worth 6/$24M plus club options.  That's a lot of money for a kid who spent 2018 in AA but not a huge commitment for the club. 

ETA:  Apples and oranges but I like it better than the White Sox spending $50M for Abreu's 33-35 seasons.
Serious Biz ownership Bias  :rolleyes:

Curious move by the Yankees to release Ellsbury and then announce they're withholding on his 2020 salary and 2021 buyout over unauthorized medical treatments.  On the surface, it doesn't sound like an argument that would make it through the MLB/MLBPA grievance process.

This could also poison the waters between the club and Ellsbury's agent Scott Boros.

Gold Glove 2B Yolmer Sanchez waived by the White Sox.

Rick Hahn takes an early lead in the Hot Stove League standings.

Padres trade Luis Urias and Eric Lauer to the Brewers for Trent Grisham and Zach Davies. Figured Tatis and Urias would spend a long time together up the middle in SD. Guess not.

Padres trade for their short-term 2B in Jurickson Profar.  Profar was likely to be non-tendered by the Oaklands because of a ~$6M arbitration number. 

Backup catcher Austin Allen heads the other way.

Padres trade for their short-term 2B in Jurickson Profar.  Profar was likely to be non-tendered by the Oaklands because of a ~$6M arbitration number. 

Backup catcher Austin Allen heads the other way.
Profar get over the yips?  Preller was destined to snag Profar at some point, and I like this move if he can throw.  His BABIP suggests he was unlucky last year. 

Blake Treinen who won folks some fantasy leagues in 2018 was non-tendered.

Others include Kevin Pillar, Jose Peraza, Steven Souza, Taijuan Walker and CJ Cron.

M's dealing from strength sending Narvaez to the Brewers, I guess they like Murphy more. Main comp is a draft pick, finally seeing those pick deals in MLB :bowtie:  

I'll leave it to the Mets fans to peacock about the Marisnick deal :oldunsure:  

Narvaez and Pina should be perfectly cromulent catching platoon.  If 26 man rosters come to pass, Milwaukee can add a third catcher for defensive purposes.

I don't know what Marisnick brings that Lagares and Keon Broxton didn't but the Mets needed a right handed bat who can play some CF and he comes cheaper than someone like Pillar.

Dylan Bundy seems like a guy who will benefit from a change of scenery out of Baltimore.

The Anaheims give up four low-level pitching prospects including two 2019 draft picks who have yet to appear in a minor league game.

Users who are viewing this thread