What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney+ Info, shows and Movies (1 Viewer)

Blockbuster fought off Netflix for awhile, too.  Right before the went bankrupt.  

I'm not saying it's going to happen in a year.  All I'm saying is that I don't believe in 5 years Netflix will be a major player in the streaming business.
I agree D+ is a huge challenge for Netflix that they will have to accommodate.  But one thing I can say about Netflix is that they have never sat back and watched.

They ate Blockbuster's lunch even though BB was easily better positioned.  They were the first out of the gate on providing digital movie content and then TV content.  They were the first to actually set up a digital platform and interface.  They were the first to jump on original content and were the ones yelling content will be king.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, because let's face it Amazon and now Disney are unlike anything Netflix has ever been challenged with before, but I wouldn't bet against them yet.

Its funny - I was thinking the same thing about Disney's model.

A movie comes out that you want to watch - you can get Disney for $7/month and download/watch any movie in that month, and be done.  Cheaper than buying the DVD, and more convenient from "renting" the movie from some source.

With Netflix - they go with quantity - so that every month there is something you might want to watch.
I guess, and I fully admit I am not the target audience for this.  I am still 90% movies, 10% TV shows so even though NF throws a ton of #### out there, I usually don't have much in my queue that I want to watch on there.  Better than Hulu, but still barely worth the money for me.  I am using the library for blurays more than I am using my NF account.  

Almost went with Darth and will probably change it up at some point but as a boy I had a Chewy toy that I slept with for years.  My mother says I loved that toy so much she couldn't get rid of it even after I grew up - I think she still has it in a box in attic somewhere.  That toy is like my Woody from TS.*

*Phrasing
I went with Mandalorian for now 

Almost went with Darth and will probably change it up at some point but as a boy I had a Chewy toy that I slept with for years.  My mother says I loved that toy so much she couldn't get rid of it even after I grew up - I think she still has it in a box in attic somewhere.  That toy is like my Woody from TS.*

*Phrasing
My brother had a Curious George same thing. My Mom still has it

I sifted through for about 30mins last night.  Sure, stuff I will watch with the kids, but nothing that I wanted to watch or add to my list for myself.  Highly doubt I would pay for this if I didn't have kids.  
Same here. We get a year free through Verizon. The rest of the family are big fans of Marvel and Star Wars (they saw them at the theater). I have only seen the two Antman movies. Nothing else. Have seen Star Wars and Empire Strikes back when I was a kid. Haven't seen the rest. I don't see myself watching a lot of their content. My wife and daughter will probably cycle through all the original animated and pixar movies over the next year as well. 

One of the reasons I don't like Amazon's video is the way they format it.  It's been a little while since I last looked, but they would make you have a separate icon for each season of a TV show.  So if you want to include NCIS in your watchlist, and that show has been running for like 16 years, you will have 16 different icons for that one show.  If you have a few long running TV shows in your queue, it will be very crowded in your watchlist.  It's a pain in the neck.  On Netflix and Hulu it's one icon per show and you can navigate each season and episode within that icon.
The search engine also sucks for Amazon Video too. and they really should have something to separate what you are looking for from what's free to what is rent/buy 

I might also argue that Disney is not really going after the streaming market directly.

I think this is more a play by Disney to protect its residual DVD sales.  I have no insight into those numbers, but I think its reasonable to assume they are declining.  So, by launching the streaming site, Disney is effectively offering a subscription-based substitute to buying DVDs - with the hope being that having the entire library on demand is enough to keep people paying a monthly fee.

I bought a full year because I could see $70 of value over the next 12 months.  But, next November, I might feel differently for the next 12 months - particularly if the original content is not worth it.  :shrug:
I did the same. I got ESPN+ but have no reason to do the bundle with Hulu as theres nothing Hulu wise I'm interested in. D+ I can see $70 worth of content. The old Cartoons I watched as a kid all seasons will probably get there alone. Its gonna be all about what original content and what else D+ gets over the next year. I can see them adding stuff by Jan 2020 as Contracts on some content on other platforms they now own expire on those streaming services. Was expecting more from D+ Marvel release with more of maybe original content being announced with those as well? 

Decided to just do the year subscription. I'm just gonna relive my childhood from the 80s/90s with the original cartoons. It's surprising to find after all these years some of these shows that are considered classics only had 1 or 2 seasons but they have over 50 episodes 
:goodposting:

Got my 9 year old ready to watch a lot of these too.

Mostly I'm in it for the Marvel shows and the Mandalorian.  Plus the kid is huge into Disney and has been counting down the days...

Services like Starz and Cinemax will be the first to fall.  HBO should be ok as long as they keep kicking out good programming.  Apple TV+ may have a tough time getting traction, and possibly not pushing the edge on their programming... I doubt they would produce something like The Sopranos or The Wire.

Amazon is going to be ok due to it being a part of their bundle.

Disney or Amazon buying Netflix for their interface won't happen.  Too expensive for a pretty face.  They would be better served offering beer and pizza to 10 of us to come up with a better interface.

Netflix will run into trouble if Disney and other content providers start to lock them out.  That was the concern when AOL bought Time/Warner back in the day.  It may come down to who has the most cash to buy the content.

The real winner is going to be the studios because of the bidding wars.  

QUESTION:  Does anyone buy the CBS All Access?  

:goodposting:

Got my 9 year old ready to watch a lot of these too.

Mostly I'm in it for the Marvel shows and the Mandalorian.  Plus the kid is huge into Disney and has been counting down the days...
I was watching Goof Troop about a year ago on Youtube but it was one of those dude found a loophole insert smaller screen then what Youtube has to watch and the quality wasn't great. Missing episodes too. For kids these original shows are what I'd be showing my kids if I had any. 

I'm big into Star Wars so I'll definitely be watching that stuff. Plus watching a few of the old movies I hadn't seen in years. probably will watch The Jungle Book with my dad too. 

I sifted through for about 30mins last night.  Sure, stuff I will watch with the kids, but nothing that I wanted to watch or add to my list for myself.  Highly doubt I would pay for this if I didn't have kids.  
Yea if you have kids it’s a no-brainer. If you don’t...you’d really have to want to watch or re-watch marvel/Star Wars content. 

I could see myself watching some of those 1970s live action movies I saw as a kid (love bug or whatever) but that’s a one-time thing and I think it would have to get old quick. 

Yep, both my kids are older HS/college.  If I weren't getting this free from Verizon I don't know that I'd keep it.  Maybe when we get grandchildren?  But then again we own every Disney movie either DVD/BluRay or digital so it would just be the new content.  (and if I really want to see it I can "acquire" it if needed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, both my kids are older HS/college.  If I weren't getting this free from Verizon I don't know that I'd keep it.  Maybe when we get grandchildren?  But then again we own every Disney movie either DVD/BluRay or digital so it would just be the new content.  (and if I really want to see it I can "acquire" it if needed.)
After the year just do the 6.99 a month or whatever sub. You can cancel it but then watch stuff till the end of that month sub

Pulled the trigger and pleasantly surprised, though I thought there would be a bit more content. I few things I clicked on got an error message but I hear that should be fixed soon. A lot of Nat Geo content which is cool.

And a shout out for Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Love that movie.  :headbang:

Oh I watched some of the old X-men cartoon series last night. That was pretty cool. 
Watched the first two eps.  Not as good as I remember but cool enough to continue!

Was able to introduce my kid to Tailspin yesterday.  All my old after school cartoons appear to be on here, Darkwing Duck, Ducktails, Rescue Rangers...
My kid loves the new DuckTales and they did intro Darkwing Duck.  We will be watching those along with the original DuckTales,  Tailspin, and Gummy Bears (showed this to her awhile ago and she loved it).

Being a child of the 80s, I remember The Black Cauldron.  Had a coworker tell me he was a Disney nerd.  Had to change his tune when he didn't know the Black Cauldron.  Dark movie for Disney as I remember it.  It was so poorly received that they do not like to release it on VHS/DVD but I did see it on D+!  

For us Marvel nerds they need to bundle Marvel Unlimited comics service.

DC already does this with DC Universe, streaming movie and cartoon content bundled with comics content. The streaming stuff is limited and rotates though. Plus I guess it's not owned by DC but licensed out.

A key thing here is everyone keeps saying that D+ won't take down Netflix.  But I've never said they would.  There are probably a dozen new streaming services scheduled to come out in the next year or so.  And a lot of them will have the backing of big name media companies.  They will be able to put all of their movies or shows currently on TV onto their service.  

Meanwhile Netflix is left to have their own content.  Sure, Netflix is churning out original content, but it sucks.  How many shows has Netflix created that are worth a damn?  Less than 10, I'm guessing.  So in a decade, they've put out about 1 good show a year on average.  And they've put out about 100 shows a year that no one watches.  Their two most watched shows are currently Friends and The Office.  When those two leave, I would imagine they will lose a lot of subscriptions.  People enjoy new content, but streaming services have thrived with old content.  

I did the same. I got ESPN+ but have no reason to do the bundle with Hulu as theres nothing Hulu wise I'm interested in. D+ I can see $70 worth of content. The old Cartoons I watched as a kid all seasons will probably get there alone. Its gonna be all about what original content and what else D+ gets over the next year. I can see them adding stuff by Jan 2020 as Contracts on some content on other platforms they now own expire on those streaming services. Was expecting more from D+ Marvel release with more of maybe original content being announced with those as well? 
Watch the Expanding the Universe show on D+ and you'll get info on all the upcoming Marvel series.

A key thing here is everyone keeps saying that D+ won't take down Netflix.  But I've never said they would.  There are probably a dozen new streaming services scheduled to come out in the next year or so.  And a lot of them will have the backing of big name media companies.  They will be able to put all of their movies or shows currently on TV onto their service.  

Meanwhile Netflix is left to have their own content.  Sure, Netflix is churning out original content, but it sucks.  How many shows has Netflix created that are worth a damn?  Less than 10, I'm guessing.  So in a decade, they've put out about 1 good show a year on average.  And they've put out about 100 shows a year that no one watches.  Their two most watched shows are currently Friends and The Office.  When those two leave, I would imagine they will lose a lot of subscriptions.  People enjoy new content, but streaming services have thrived with old content.  
I don’t know what level of creation Netflix is involved with but I can list a whole lot more than 10 shows on Netflix that I really enjoy that are original. Just off the top of my head that I’ve watched and enjoyed — Stranger Things, Ozarks, Narcos, Bojack, Big Mouth, Haunting of Hill House, Mindhunter, F is for family, black mirror, End of the F’n World, Dark, house of cards, nailed it, countless documentaries — sure I am forgetting quite a few. 

I don’t know what level of creation Netflix is involved with but I can list a whole lot more than 10 shows on Netflix that I really enjoy that are original. Just off the top of my head that I’ve watched and enjoyed — Stranger Things, Ozarks, Narcos, Bojack, Big Mouth, Haunting of Hill House, Mindhunter, F is for family, black mirror, End of the F’n World, Dark, house of cards, nailed it, countless documentaries — sure I am forgetting quite a few. 
Just because you enjoyed it, GB, doesn't make it a hit.

If I was going to bet, it would be on Netflix being one of the ones coming out on top, along with Disney and someone like Amazon or HBOMax. There's room for multiple streamers when it's all said and done and it will come down to who can put out the new content that grabs viewers. Stuff like Friends and the Office are certainly big hits to Netflix right now, but new content will ultimately determine who survives. Right now there's an explosion of new streamers in the US but there will be consolidation or a lot of these new ones will fold. People are already complaining about having to signup for multiple streaming services and some of these aren't even out yet, there will be some disappointments and winners and losers. Cable companies will continue to get murdered.

As for these streaming options, CBS All Access (other than Star Trek what do they have that doesn't appeal to old people who don't stream?) and Peacock (they'll have The Office and lots of NBC stuff but what else, also god awful name choice) are going to be the small players and very shaky IMO. Apple has large pockets but could just as easily drop this foray into streaming pretty quickly or do what probably happens with Amazon and buyout or outbid everyone else for content. HBO Max has a big edge on creative content and Friends and does well at coming up with new stuff but also has the shakiest parent company if an economic downturn comes down the pipe. Only a matter of time before CBS/Viacom is forced to partner up or be bought out by a Netflix for example, as they have very strong ties for the programming on the CW Network and could buy out Warner/Att's stake there. I'm not buying into Disney's decision to separate Hulu and Disney+ and force people to get two services for their content, so I think that will be an issue down the line once the exuberance of Marvel/Star Wars dies down with Disney+.

Netflix may have already gotten close to saturation in the US before these competitors started showing up so they will need to keep pumping out content and learning from these startups who come up with new ideas and new interfaces. One thing I could see going the way of the DoDo is releasing an entire season at once for binge watching. I'm honestly surprised no one has tried something like weekly releases with pay to see the next episode early (that would be a crazy setup for internet spoilers.) One thing not mentioned is that Netflix has a huge leg up on the international market and is producing content like crazy not just for the US but also for Europe and India. I'm not sure any of these startups which are mostly US based can impact Netflix internationally for a long time.

I believe Netflix is a big user of AWS. I think he may be saying content wise. Combine Prime and Netflix content under one label with a merger.

It would probably save a lot of costs on the Prime Video side by just having that content in one location. 
From what I've heard, D+ is also on AWS.

Basically have to be an unlimited customer. I think FIOS also counts.
I signed up for this but never had to enter a code or anything to indicate it was on Verizon.  I added Disney + as an "add on" in the my Verizon app, and signed up for the service.  They required me to put in a credit card, so I'm not sure if I did it correctly.  I guess maybe Verizon & Disney know the app is on their network?  I guess I will see if I get charged after the trial is up.

I signed up for this but never had to enter a code or anything to indicate it was on Verizon.  I added Disney + as an "add on" in the my Verizon app, and signed up for the service.  They required me to put in a credit card, so I'm not sure if I did it correctly.  I guess maybe Verizon & Disney know the app is on their network?  I guess I will see if I get charged after the trial is up.
They wanted a credit card for me to but I somehow backed out because I thought I was doing it wrong and ended up bypassing that screen. You shouldn't be charged or require a CC because Verizon will charge you directly after the 12 months are up.

Go to the D+ app and click on account.

Does it say Verizon subscription? Mine does.

Disney press release today:

Disney+, the highly anticipated streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, has already reached a major milestone, achieving a remarkable 10 million sign-ups since launching.
also:

According to Seeking Alpha, Disney has a five-year target of reaching 90 million subscribers, at which point rival Netflix is expected to have about 300 million.

Disney shares were up 3.34% at the time of writing, representing a stock price of $143.22.

According to a study cited by Variety, during the first 24 hours after its official Nov. 12 launch, the Disney+ mobile app for iOS and Android was downloaded 3.2 million times. Disney+ users worldwide collectively also spent 1.3 million hours streaming the service in the first 24 hours — more than the total viewing through Amazon Prime Video and Roku apps in the three countries where Disney+ is available.

I somewhat agree with this but for me I look at this as a mechanism to watch all the Disney/Marvel movies without paying "going to the movie" prices - which are ridiculous, IMO.  I will still occasionally do the big screen for something like Ep IX but beyond that it will allow me to most likely get these movies much faster than I currently am doing plus a lot cheaper overall.  The original programming is just icing on the cake for me.

I somewhat agree with this but for me I look at this as a mechanism to watch all the Disney/Marvel movies without paying "going to the movie" prices - which are ridiculous, IMO.  I will still occasionally do the big screen for something like Ep IX but beyond that it will allow me to most likely get these movies much faster than I currently am doing plus a lot cheaper overall.  The original programming is just icing on the cake for me.
It won't replace going to the movies for some of the stuff - the family will always hit up a new Star Wars movie when it comes out.  We are already about 50/50 on the Marvel movies though.  I get your point though, and for us it's like what somebody else stated - it will probably become the replacement for buying blurays.  The son wanted to complete the Marvel collection for Christmas, but why bother now.  I hesitate buying Pixar blurays because they are always pricey.  For $70/year it's probably worth it for a lot of people as a replacement for that - it's less than 3 blurays.  If it starts getting to be in the HBO pricing - $15+/month it might still be worth it, but it might give us something to think about unless the original series are well worth it.  

I think it's saying a bit if Shiek is right - that The Office and Friends are the most watched NF shows on NF.   I have tried most of those shows and could do without any NF show besides Atypical.   I still don't think their shows are to the level of HBO, F/X or some of the AMC shows even years after they started putting out their shows.  

I think it's saying a bit if Shiek is right - that The Office and Friends are the most watched NF shows on NF.   I have tried most of those shows and could do without any NF show besides Atypical.   I still don't think their shows are to the level of HBO, F/X or some of the AMC shows even years after they started putting out their shows.  
I’m sure office and friends are their biggest drivers but come on...those are two of the most popular shows in the last 25 years. That’s not a standard of show Netflix needs to create in order to stay operational. 

It won't replace going to the movies for some of the stuff - the family will always hit up a new Star Wars movie when it comes out.  We are already about 50/50 on the Marvel movies though.  I get your point though, and for us it's like what somebody else stated - it will probably become the replacement for buying blurays.  The son wanted to complete the Marvel collection for Christmas, but why bother now.  I hesitate buying Pixar blurays because they are always pricey.  For $70/year it's probably worth it for a lot of people as a replacement for that - it's less than 3 blurays.  If it starts getting to be in the HBO pricing - $15+/month it might still be worth it, but it might give us something to think about unless the original series are well worth it.  
We are a family of 6 - I pay #######g $70+ to go to one damn movie - this is a complete no-brainer for me. 

I’m sure office and friends are their biggest drivers but come on...those are two of the most popular shows in the last 25 years. That’s not a standard of show Netflix needs to create in order to stay operational. 
I still stand by my statement that their original content isnt near as good as other outlets.  I think that will catch up to them over time, especially if Disney is able to nail some of these Marvel and Star Wars shows.  IMO Netflix seems to be more interested in pushing quantity over quality.  

With all these options, people will be making choices I would think.  

I still stand by my statement that their original content isnt near as good as other outlets.  I think that will catch up to them over time, especially if Disney is able to nail some of these Marvel and Star Wars shows.  IMO Netflix seems to be more interested in pushing quantity over quality.  

I’m not saying you’re wrong but what other provider is better over the last 10 years?  I only see HBO that would have the quantity and quality to put ahead of them.  Maybe I’m missing someone.

HBO is better for sure. Prime? Not a chance. Hulu? Nah, don’t see it. The networks are all garbage. Who is producing better content than Netflix right now other than hbo? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong but what other provider is better over the last 10 years?  I only see HBO that would have the quantity and quality to put ahead of them.  Maybe I’m missing someone.

HBO is better for sure. Prime? Not a chance. Hulu? Nah, don’t see it. The networks are all garbage. Who is producing better content than Netflix right now other than hbo? 
I think we are talking about a couple things though.  Just curious- if you guys named the best shows of the last 10-15 years, how many are NF shows.  I think Shieks point is that a lot of their draw was they had/have shows like The Office, Friends, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.   They are losing content from other providers, so if they are just left with their original stuff, will that be enough for people?   I am guessing a lot of their budget is securing the rights to those shows.  

I think other outlets are putting out good content, but NF was better at having more stuff in one spot, but we are seeing that crumble a bit.  

Sure it was a good bang for the buck before, but the way its looking we are going to be choosing from a lot more options,  so if a family is trying to stick to a budget and only have 2-3 streaming options, will NF be one of them? 

One of the reasons I don't like Amazon's video is the way they format it.  It's been a little while since I last looked, but they would make you have a separate icon for each season of a TV show.  So if you want to include NCIS in your watchlist, and that show has been running for like 16 years, you will have 16 different icons for that one show.  If you have a few long running TV shows in your queue, it will be very crowded in your watchlist.  It's a pain in the neck.  On Netflix and Hulu it's one icon per show and you can navigate each season and episode within that icon.
I hate this as well. I also hate that when you are selecting an episode it shows you a bunch of thumbnails from future episodes which sometimes contain spoilers. 

I bought the one year subscription. Ends up being 5 or 6 bucks a month I think?  That’s a Starbucks drink.  No brainer given all the content and the fact that we have kids here, and a lot of these Disney classic movies in the Vault you could just never get. 

Users who are viewing this thread